Votes: 8 17.8%
  • Brussel Sprouts

Votes: 7 15.6%
  • Marcus Thornton's season

Votes: 30 66.7%

• Total voters
K

KingMilz

He's in his 4th year he has not given any effort at all this game and good lesson by the coach if you want to take dumb shots and not play all out than you don't play. He's literally had 5-6 deep catches on him and how many has he had the other way?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
in fairness, Keith Smart was very much known for riding bench units that made games somewhat competitive for far too long and not going back to the starters. if you want to win this game, at least some of them should be back by now (even if only to relieve bench guys that aren't used to playing this much). I suspect though, that the benching of the starters has less to do with winning the game and more with teaching a lesson.
And I would have no problem with that whatsoever.

small ball in first half, rolling with the comeback crew for too long, taking out Ben after he FINALLY knocks down some shots, some very Keith Smart-esque moves today

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You guys continuing to harp about Malone need to look at the big picture. I hate to agree with Grant, but the only real weapon the coach has is minutes. Just like a certain coach in San Antonio, Malone is sending a very strong message to his team about playing the way he wants them to play. Don't do it and you get real good spectator seats.

K

KingMilz

You guys continuing to harp about Malone need to look at the big picture. I hate to agree with Grant, but the only real weapon the coach has is minutes. Just like a certain coach in San Antonio, Malone is sending a very strong message to his team about playing the way he wants them to play. Don't do it and you get real good spectator seats.
Coach gets a A+ from me win or loss this game

And I would have no problem with that whatsoever.
yeah, no, absolutely. it's been made clear top-to-bottom that this season is about changing culture, guys buying in and so forth. in so far, this move absolutely makes sense and trying your damnedest to win a fairly irrelevant early season game at the expense of the message you want to convey would be a Smart, rather than a smart move.

Honestly...I don't see how we're within 10 points when we're shooting 35% and Memphis is shooting 55%, and getting blown out of the water on the glass.

edit: my bad, 38% FG's, 35% from 3's

I understand that. The thing is, in the past Malone has given Cousins special treatment and with good reason. He called him the only starter for a few weeks early in training camp. He's called out the entire starting unit outside of Cousins.

Point being, Cousins doesn't need the lesson. He's been consistently good. That's my only point. He deserves to also play with a unit that is playing well.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Good to see Outlaw back in after a well-deserved bit of a rest. If I were part of the grading consortium, I would definitely comment Malone for his resolve tonight. It's about so much more than one game against the Memphis Grizzlies.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I understand that. The thing is, in the past Malone has given Cousins special treatment and with good reason. He called him the only starter for a few weeks early in training camp. He's called out the entire starting unit outside of Cousins.

Point being, Cousins doesn't need the lesson. He's been consistently good. That's my only point. He deserves to also play with a unit that is playing well.
I understand where you're coming from, MKF.

Bottom line is that I've seen enough from Malone for him to have earned my trust. If DMC is on the bench, I'm going to believe there's a good reason for it.

i don't agree that Ben was grouped in with the sorry play of the starting unit and benched with them. he was just finally looking comfortable out there in the 3rd

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I understand sending a message to the team, but I don't like that Malone is not giving his starters a chance to come back and show that they got the message. I also don't like coaching without winning in mind.
If you put them back in, what did they learn? Sorry. It's like not letting a kid watch his favorite program because he messed up and then letting him watch the last half anyway.

And it's not about winning and losing, in case you've forgotten. It's about establishing a culture where your team HATES TO LOSE. They only learn that lesson when they realize if they don't play 100% they're not gonna play at all...and they'll lose.