[Game] Kings v. Bulls - Monday, Dec. 2 - 7 PT; 10 ET

This team is struggling and it isn't Buddy's fault. We are starting two guys who should be coming off the bench. Our two best players are hurt and it is killing the team. Fox injury doesn't concern me as he will be back and healthy. Bagley concerns me, he gets hurt a lot and it kills the team when these two our out for extended periods
After an 0-5 start, the Kings' winning percentage is as high as it has been in a long time.

could be that its animosity from keeping Bagley out of the starting lineup last year, unconcious one :). But i think Coach + fit had more to do with it.
It's probably push back for the bias people show in overvaluing our role players.

Bjelica was good for about 20 games last season. Average for the next 20 and then not very good after that. His defense has never been anything to be proud of. I like him, especially because he's on the Kings, but I'm not going to pretend like he's moving the needle for this team.

It's probably push back for the bias people show in overvaluing our role players.

Bjelica was good for about 20 games last season. Average for the next 20 and then not very good after that. His defense has never been anything to be proud of. I like him, especially because he's on the Kings, but I'm not going to pretend like he's moving the needle for this team.
advanced metrics show the same bias for this particular player

After three years of reducing his turnovers while at the same time handling the ball more and more, Buddy is now regressing with 1+ turnover more per 36 min than last year. His other stats are fairly consistent with last year. But the turnovers are hard to take, especially when his shot isn't falling with any regularity. And then there's the hero mentality (that he shares with Bogi) that dooms us at the end.

And what did Giles do to Luke? I get that he shouldn't be getting any of Holmes or Beli's minutes, but Dedmon? Oh yeah, Dedmon spreads the floor for us. NOT!
Its fair to say the Dedmon signing was a clear overpayment......They paid way too much for in effect a little above average backup. Holmes is twice the player Dedmon is, costing less than half the contract. I would've rather kept Stein than Dedmon after watching him. His shot is terrible, something some folks were lauding coming in. Dedmon is a half-step up from Koufos - basically Koufos+. His signing would've been ok had it been maybe for half the amount.

Last edited:
I'm going to question the assumption that the Kings didn't take the Bulls seriously. I know what Buddy said. But that sounds like predictable stuff coming from someone who is searching for reasons to a problem they don't fully understand. Maybe it's true. But maybe the Kings just weren't making enough of their shots, and didn't have anyone scoring 30 points on the night to make the difference. Sometimes not making your shots (that you normally make) makes you look worse than you are. And maybe the Bulls played a surprisingly good game because they are proud professionals, and they desperately needed a win on their road trip.
I'm just saying I don't necessarily agree with Buddy's take that the team didn't take the Bulls seriously. In fact, Buddy is the only King I saw that didn't even chase after a Bulls player after stealing the ball from him. He just stood there and watched the Bulls player get two points. What about chasing him down, blocking his shot from behind, or being in position for a rebound? Maybe Buddy should have been speaking for himself.
Yesterday, the Kings didn't look together on offense for much of the game - and they built a brick house. They were also out-hustled in their own arena which is egregiously bad. Too many mins given to Ariza and Bogdan who should be resting. The Kings look every bit their 8-11 record. Hield had a so-so game. His shooting has dropped off for his standard the last couple games. Teams are definitely marking him more. He needs more consistent help on offense.

I'm going to question the assumption that the Kings didn't take the Bulls seriously. I know what Buddy said. But that sounds like predictable stuff coming from someone who is searching for reasons to a problem they don't fully understand. Maybe it's true. But maybe the Kings just weren't making enough of their shots, and didn't have anyone scoring 30 points on the night to make the difference. Sometimes not making your shots (that you normally make) makes you look worse than you are. And maybe the Bulls played a surprisingly good game because they are proud professionals, and they desperately needed a win on their road trip.
I'm just saying I don't necessarily agree with Buddy's take that the team didn't take the Bulls seriously. In fact, Buddy is the only King I saw that didn't even chase after a Bulls player after stealing the ball from him. He just stood there and watched the Bulls player get two points. What about chasing him down, blocking his shot from behind, or being in position for a rebound? Maybe Buddy should have been speaking for himself.
The Kings weren't ready for the pace Chicago played with. They got ran out the gym to be honest. Which is disappointing because that is what the Kings did to other teams last year. The players should have seen it coming.

My main takeaway was that a big early lead against a team with a bad record led to their brains, collectively, going on vacation. It took them too long to get going to come all the way back. Hopefully the coaches can help them learn from this.

Hats off to the Bulls for hitting a big shot every time they needed one. The Kings have to move the ball better and get guys easier buckets. Having Fox and Bagley back will help with our woeful paint production too.

The game was blacked out so I had to listen to the game for only the second time. I really like listening to sports and should do so more often. Does Jerry occasionally join the Gman? I would like to hear that duo
Grant does sometimes when it's a national broadcast, but we don't get many of those.

I really hope Luke rips into Buddy and the team for this B.S. attitude. The Kings are below .500 and haven't done **** in almost 20 years. How does one get such an inflated sense of entitlement, playing for a clusterpoop franchise like Sac?
I really don't take Buddy's comments here literally. I file it under "they wanted it more" "We didn't match their intensity" "We didn't put ourselves in a position to win" "we gotta look at tape and get better" It's just nonsense spewed in an interview that just means we lost. After all, we were up by 11 out the gate and outscored the bulls in 3 of the 4 quarters. We lost because we fell apart for about 8 minutes and thanks to Big shot Lavine, couldn't recover.

I'm not liking this Hield doing his best Curry impersonation thing we've seen this year. I wish Walton would reel him in and have him go back to doing what he was doing last year. If we had 2018 Buddy Hield on this team, they'd probably be 11-8 right now.
Heaven help us we have a guy that believes in himself and wants to be great. You people are crabs in a bucket.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I am slightly perplexed at the response in this thread to what I would otherwise view as a very very typical postgame response by any number of teams and players in the league.
I'm fairly certain the same exact statement gets made at least once a week in any given sports league.

gunks

Hall of Famer
I am slightly perplexed at the response in this thread to what I would otherwise view as a very very typical postgame response by any number of teams and players in the league.
Because it tends to be a response given by players on good to great teams who get beaten by underdogs.

When it's someone on a crap team, talking about how they weren't prepared to give it their all against another crap team? Bad look.

I can't stand that attitude. Maybe I'm crazy for thinking somebody making over 100 million should somehow dig deep enough to give a **** the few nights a week they have to play a game.

@iowamcnabb, you're probably right about Buddy just spewing this out as a generic "we lost" response, but it's still irksome.

Anyways, on to the next!

Heaven help us we have a guy that believes in himself and wants to be great. You people are crabs in a bucket.
It's about playing smart basketball. Carmelo Anthony played himself out of the league temporarily because he still thought he was something he wasn't. Buddy was great last year. He's just slightly above average this year. I'm not a crab in a bucket if I want him to go back to doing what he did last year.

It's about playing smart basketball. Carmelo Anthony played himself out of the league temporarily because he still thought he was something he wasn't. Buddy was great last year. He's just slightly above average this year. I'm not a crab in a bucket if I want him to go back to doing what he did last year.
Think what's hurting Buddy is he's putting it upon himself to "step up and be the man" with Fox and Bagley out. When in reality, he's much more in the vein of Klay Thompson where he's a freaking awesome offensive player/shooter, but he needs others taking attention from him to get the necessary space and be effective. I have no doubt that once Fox and Bagley get back to collapsing defenses, we'll see that offensive trio really do work and start to be effective again.

Think what's hurting Buddy is he's putting it upon himself to "step up and be the man" with Fox and Bagley out. When in reality, he's much more in the vein of Klay Thompson where he's a freaking awesome offensive player/shooter, but he needs others taking attention from him to get the necessary space and be effective. I have no doubt that once Fox and Bagley get back to collapsing defenses, we'll see that offensive trio really do work and start to be effective again.
And he kinda has to be, unless we're expecting Cory Joseph to drop 30 one of these days

And he kinda has to be, unless we're expecting Cory Joseph to drop 30 one of these days
I mean for sure. The half-court offense right now is basically hoping Buddy and Bogdan can hit their jumpers while Harrison Barnes sometimes gets to the FT line. The answer isn't give Barnes more touches either as we've already seen what happens with him in that role the last few years in Dallas.

Buddy just isn't a dude we can run the offense through and expect him to create out of it. Which is fine, he's not that kind of player and we aren't paying him to be.

I don't even know what to say to this. He Shot MORE last year. That is all.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Hield took 24 shots and scored only 23 points, less than a point per shot attempt. At a minimum, he needed to score 31 points (1.3 pts/shot)on those 24 shot attempts. His lack of efficiency was a big problem in this game. Also, he was absolutely abused by McCollum, who scored 33 points off of 22 shot attempts (1.5 points/shot attempt).

this seems so obvious, yet otherwise reasonable posters are becoming broken records here, harping about Buddy at every turn. I wonder if these folks also get mad playing golf when they break their driver mid round and blame their iron for not driving it 300 yards.