[Game] Kings @ Trailblazers, 10/20/21, 7pm Pacific, 10pm Eastern

How many minutes will Marvin Bagley play?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
He's a gunner I guess.

Mitchell and Haliburton seem too unselfish to a fault. 11 FGA between the two of them isn't going to cut it. They should probably be attempting 11+ individually.
I love TDs gunner mentality. Wish Hali had more of it in him. I’m guessing Davion is just playing within himself because rookie in his first game. We’ll see if he gains more of the green light as the season progresses. It wouldn’t shock me if he did (not nearly to TDs level though)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Oh. Hopefully it isn't just downhill from here then
To be honest, opening night probably has more viewers than other games. Combine that with a game that went down to the wire, and you've got a perfect storm for game thread length.

But yeah, I'd love to be in a position where we see a 20-page game thread in April 2022. That would be great.

I'll have to go find the numbers somewhere but I think he only missed one shot in the entire second half.
You weren’t super far off, at least far as I can tell.

In total he missed 5 shots in the 2nd half, including a tip attempt. But also made all 8 of his threes in the 2nd half, including 6 of them in Q3 alone.

11:46 Harrison Barnes misses 8-foot two point shot 62 -49
5:46 Harrison Barnes misses tip shot 82 - 67
7:46 Harrison Barnes misses 12-foot two point shot 111 - 100
4:23 Harrison Barnes misses 27-foot three point jumper 117 - 109
2:14 Harrison Barnes misses 7-foot two point shot 117 - 114

Last edited:
Last night was a real good game to watch. The refs ticked me off. Kings played real good defensively for the first three quarters. Barnes was on fire, Davion was impressive and left me with the impression he is a team changer with his defense. Tyrese was very unselfish with the ball and although he made a mistake at the end. I would have left him in. Go Kings

I wish they had taken a closer look at the steal by CJ. It’s possible that his hand was touching out of bounds when he flipped the ball back in. Doesn’t matter anyway but would be curious to know. I also wonder what classifies as over the back. Nurkic most certainly was behind Fox for that board but did he reach ahead of him?

I don't quite get all the crying about the referees. Yes, there were missed calls (like always) but I know the Blazers were also frustrated on a lot of drives to the hole where Dame and CJ didn't get calls. We also shot more FT's than them, 29-22, despite shooting more 3's than them, 41-35.

I think part of it was Kayte constantly complaining about it. She needs to clean that up. It's amateurish.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
I don't quite get all the crying about the referees. Yes, there were missed calls (like always) but I know the Blazers were also frustrated on a lot of drives to the hole where Dame and CJ didn't get calls. We also shot more FT's than them, 29-22, despite shooting more 3's than them, 41-35.

I think part of it was Kayte constantly complaining about it. She needs to clean that up. It's amateurish.
The only one that was absolutely wretched to me was Nurkic sending Davion into the stands with his over the back. Everything else was more or less whatever. But that one? Come on!

Down the stretch, I feel like Walton should have put Davion in for defense instead of Terrance Davis. Surely, Fox, Haliburton and Mitchell can co-exist. Or even take Buddy out for that matter.
I feel like with more depth and possible line-ups, Walton kind of lost track of what to do in those end of game situational possessions. Hopefully he gets into more of a clear player usage pattern as we go. It's nice to play match-ups, but I think that can lead to overthinking some things.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
The only one that was absolutely wretched to me was Nurkic sending Davion into the stands with his over the back. Everything else was more or less whatever. But that one? Come on!
Yep. That one and the one where Nurkic smashed the top of Barnes's head like the snooze button on an alarm clock were the two big ones for me.

He's a gunner I guess.

Mitchell and Haliburton seem too unselfish to a fault. 11 FGA between the two of them isn't going to cut it. They should probably be attempting 11+ individually.
I remember the opener last year, Haliburton was similarly very apprehensive and after the game he called himself out over jitters for his NBA debut. Hopefully this was a similar issue as he definitely needs to be more assertive.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
Yep. That one and the one where Nurkic smashed the top of Barnes's head like the snooze button on an alarm clock were the two big ones for me.
That one was even less egregious to me. Yes it was still a head shot and should have been reviewed as they usually all are, but a tall man took a side swipe and knocked the top of a guys head who was on a lower level. That happens.

There were 2!

1: Nurk playing piggie-back with our rook
2: Barnes getting hit in the head by Nurk

*Who else would score 36 in a game, get hit in the head (late) and not get a flagrant call?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Great game. Much improved D. More movement and passing needed on offense.

The worst broadcast I've ever heard. EVER. Kayte, please stop your incessant yak, yak, yak., yak, yak saying nothing. It seriously was starting to give me a headache. Less is more for the analyst. Take an emergency class at Sac State or at least review on the DVR how some good analysts do their job - what to focus on in the game and when to talk about it. Yakking on about how the Holmes resigning was so, so important, but that you just didn't understand the Thompson signing is very peripheral to the game. You and Draper were competing for who could get the last word in. Unfortunately, 95% of what you did say was blather. Just awful. Draper should have schooled Kayte on when to talk and when not to talk, but apparently he doesn't know better either. Whoever put this pair in the booth should be fired for incompetence.

Great game. Much improved D. More movement and passing needed on offense.

The worst broadcast I've ever heard. EVER. Kayte, please stop your incessant yak, yak, yak., yak, yak saying nothing. It seriously was starting to give me a headache. Less is more for the analyst. Take an emergency class at Sac State or at least review on the DVR how some good analysts do their job - what to focus on in the game and when to talk about it. Yakking on about how the Holmes resigning was so, so important, but that you just didn't understand the Thompson signing is very peripheral to the game. You and Draper were competing for who could get the last word in. Unfortunately, 95% of what you did say was blather. Just awful. Draper should have schooled Kayte on when to talk and when not to talk, but apparently he doesn't know better either. Whoever put this pair in the booth should be fired for incompetence.
Yeah I chose to watch the blazer feed instead. Calabro is great. I miss Grant doing play by play very much. This current group is so forced and it's just not good.

Yeah I chose to watch the blazer feed instead. Calabro is great. I miss Grant doing play by play very much. This current group is so forced and it's just not good.

I’ve heard and read similar takes from numerous people now, but apparently at least one of the mods here doesn’t want anybody to talk about it considering that they quickly locked the thread that was dedicated to the topic.

Haven’t been able to watch the full game but I loved what I saw. I guess I’m a bit out of the loop, but how long has Matt Barnes been doing pre-game? Someone needs to work with him in wardrobe. His suit was way too short and all the colors and lines clashed. Lets get our dude looking his best. Lol.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I’ve heard and read similar takes from numerous people now, but apparently at least one of the mods here doesn’t want anybody to talk about it considering that they quickly locked the thread that was dedicated to the topic.
The thread was so disrespectful it could not be salvaged.

I remember the opener last year, Haliburton was similarly very apprehensive and after the game he called himself out over jitters for his NBA debut. Hopefully this was a similar issue as he definitely needs to be more assertive.
I’ll be watching Tys shot early. At this stage of his career he is a great shooter, passer and has a leg up on the mental side of the game. He struggles defensively and creating his own shots. If he ends up having a poor shooting year he will really need to step up in another area to have the impact he had last season. I thought I heard rumblings of some shot mechanic changes. He could be adjusting still or he could have messed up his shot. Obviously too early to tell and he had poor spell a couple times last season too.

Status
Not open for further replies.