Kings trading Evans for Vasquez/Lopez

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jdbraver

Well he must have been the primary ball handler. So lots of turnovers and a good ast/turnover ratio. That must equal lots of assists...right? He may have had more assist than our whole team combined.

As much as I didn't want to lose Tyreke, we at last can see there is a plan, vs just collecting pieces. The focus is going be around Cuz and Benny Mac. You need a facilitator to maximize Benny Macs game of coming off screens or catching lobs. Can see some pick and rolls/pops with Vasquez and Cuz. Not sure you get the most out of Tyreke if you ask him to fill that role here. Not sure I love the plan, but at least it is a plan.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As much as I didn't want to lose Tyreke, we at last can see there is a plan, vs just collecting pieces. The focus is going be around Cuz and Benny Mac. You need a facilitator to maximize Benny Macs game of coming off screens or catching lobs. Can see some pick and rolls/pops with Vasquez and Cuz. Not sure you get the most out of Tyreke if you ask him to fill that role here. Not sure I love the plan, but at least it is a plan.
This is all true. Unfortunately the plan piles on unproven players and B siders for its basketball 101 lineup. All fits, but all the talent pressure swings to Boogie, and it puts the rookie in a crappy place of having to be a star in waiting or Cuz has no wingman and BMac becomes the scrub who cost us Reke.

Excellent move. Tyreke is a ball hog and dumb as a box of rocks. He's not worth the money Pelicans are willing to pay. And, he'll be coming off the bench for NO. More roster moves ahead.

K

KingMilz

Bit off topic but damn JR Smith just signed for nearly half of Reke while putting up similar numbers on a playoff team @24.7million over 4 years that's a bargain for the Knicks.

Bricklayer

What's the likeliness of this Berning false?? Any guesses?
Here is the one interesting thing: Ailene just flat out stated it both on twitter and in her blog at sacbee. She is not a reporter who would normally do that unless she knew. She's got a thousand slimy ways to try to make her opinions sound like facts, but this was none of those: this was a flat statement.

And yet, that twitter handle Mass found stated the report was false, and it looks like a very dialed in source. been watching them since that time, and they have had up to the minute updates on various other contracts all over the league. So...its very likely true. But...

Bricklayer

Bit off topic but damn JR Smith just signed for nearly half of Reke while putting up similar numbers on a playoff team @24.7million over 4 years that's a bargain for the Knicks.
Yes, and that's as good as J.R. Smith will ever be. He's topped out, a limited player at best, and an idiot. If he hadn't reminded everybody of that in the playoffs he would have done better. His contract is very close to the one Kyle Korver just signed, so its clear he's being underpaid.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Excellent move. Tyreke is a ball hog
Question, did you actually watch any Kings games last year? So much of this is coming around from names we haven't seen much of lately, I half believe people gave up on the team when it looked like it was going to move, and have come back carrying half baked rookie year grievances.

All of which to say Tyreke was the most willing passer on the entire team last year.

If nothing else at least he can escape this fanbase.

Last edited:
I think Tyreke is great as a No. 1 option on a bad team. Problem is this: 1) His production drops significantly when he's not the No. 1 option. 2) He's not good enough to be the No. 1 option on a great team - to be a great team, we would need a better cast to surround Tyreke, but then Tyreke would no longer be the No. 1 guy on the team. In conclusion, he's the sort of player who is great at making bad teams mediocre, but keeps mediocre teams from becoming good. And the way the NBA is set up right now is that it rewards teams that swing from being great to terrible to great again, rather than teams that stay mediocre over the long haul. I wish him the best of luck at NO, but I am excited about Vazquez and glad that the Kings aren't paying him 11M for the next 4 years (or however the $ is distributed over those 4 years).

Question, did you actually watch any Kings games last year? So much of this coming around from names we haven't seen much of lately, I have believe people gave up on the team when it looked like it was going to move, and come back carrying half baked rookie year grievances.

All of which to say Tyreke was the most willing passer on the entire team last year. If nothing else at least he can escape this fanbase. Frankly you guys don't deserve a class act like that the way you have conducted yourself toward him.
Watched every game. Difference of opinion here. But that's why we call it a forum.

Here is the one interesting thing: Ailene just flat out stated it both on twitter and in her blog at sacbee. She is not a reporter who would normally do that unless she knew. She's got a thousand slimy ways to try to make her opinions sound like facts, but this was none of those: this was a flat statement.

And yet, that twitter handle Mass found stated the report was false, and it looks like a very dialed in source. been watching them since that time, and they have had up to the minute updates on various other contracts all over the league. So...its very likely true. But...
I hope it's false. Through the years I've noticed how you guys are not high on voison so that's why I thought I'd ask. You just figure that they would hands down match NO offer especially after the contract they offered Iggy.

What are your thoughts on this Brick if the trade does or does not go through ?

Apparently NO wants to play Tyreke in a 6th man role. I can see him being successful in that role, as long as he buys into it. Probably makes the most sense for them if they keep Eric Gordon. Have a hard time justifying paying a player 11M to come off the bench though.

Apparently NO wants to play Tyreke in a 6th man role. I can see him being successful in that role, as long as he buys into it. Probably makes the most sense for them if they keep Eric Gordon. Have a hard time justifying paying a player 11M to come off the bench though.
Fortunately, that's not our problem. Although I do think they are going to try and get rid of Gordon to find Davis's running mate, pushing Tyreke to the starting line-up.

man, how pathetic if this rumor's true. to go from dreams of iggy/tyreke to a reality of vasquez/lopez? wow, way to think big, guys...

:rolleyes:

right now i'm seeing a lotta big talk from the new regime folding under the pressure. they look like amateurs too afraid to do what is necessary in this league: spend the money. they pulled out of negotiations with iggy, they won't commit to matching a reasonable offer for tyreke. what are they hanging their hats on, exactly? that vasquez, coming off major ankle surgery, is gonna quit turning the ball over? that some other high quality SF will want to sign here after they pulled the rug from underneath iguodala? that mclemore is gonna be an all-star in his first couple of seasons? that cousins will be able to do it all himself? what is the plan here?

this is a bad joke, a nightmare scenario. you just don't do this in the nba, trade a superior talent for two mediocre talents, unless that superior talent suffers a major injury. you DEFINITELY don't make this trade if he's only 23 years old with one helluva ceiling. if this is true, and if the kings can't bring in anyone of significant value via free agency, i'm gonna be left speechless...

Last edited:
Can you imagine if the situation were reversed and we were trying to get Tyreke? This would all be a dream scenario for us. Please don't let this happen

J

jdbraver

Question, did you actually watch any Kings games last year? So much of this is coming around from names we haven't seen much of lately, I half believe people gave up on the team when it looked like it was going to move, and have come back carrying half baked rookie year grievances.

All of which to say Tyreke was the most willing passer on the entire team last year.

If nothing else at least he can escape this fanbase.

Escape the fanbase? I don't deserve it? You mean the fans that support this crap team, worst in the league. The season tix I bought during the last five years? #Really #Wow

Bricklayer

I hope it's false. Through the years I've noticed how you guys are not high on voison so that's why I thought I'd ask. You just figure that they would hands down match NO offer especially after the contract they offered Iggy.

What are your thoughts on this Brick if the trade does or does not go through ?
My shy and retiring nature making me hard to read huh? :p

But actually I am doing what I always do and holding back a tad. Is it stupid? Yes. Did my respect for the front office just plummet? Yes. I have already referred to PDA as a basement rodent in this thread, and I came this close to insulting his sad excuse for a law school. :p

But here's the thing: weak and shortsighted as it is, the players returning are the style of players we should be looking at...just not at the expense of Reke. AFTER you resign Reke, you want to go out and swap around lesser players and end up with Vasquez and Lopez on the team, that's fine by me. Vasquez would help with ball movement and has size if not quickness or 1/10 of Reke's gift. Lopez does not rebound, but he is a shotblcoker. Or at least a guy who tried hard and blocks some shots. Not the same thing as an intimidator, but he helps. Works for me as a 3rd/4th big type. I do think it must be noted for all the "but Tyreke didn't make us win!" peeps that Vasquez and Lopez were 2/5 of the starting lineup of big time losing team last year themselves, and that neither guy had ever averaged double figure points until they were given all those minutes. So not only could we be trading Reke for unproven starters, we could be trading him for 2 blown up bench guys who only start on lottery teams.

Entity

Hall of Famer
With this trade we are still 8.5 mil under the cap. we could amnesty Salmons (unlikly) and be 16 mil under the cap. I look for there to be a trade for a SF (Granger, Deng, maybe go after iggy again via sign and trade) Chicago rumors Deng may be shipped out. Thornton + filler for deng maybe Jimmer?

Vasquez/IT/Mccallum
Maclemore/Salmons
Deng/Salmons/Outlaw
Jt/Ppat
cuz/Lopez

man, how pathetic if this rumor's true. to go from dreams of iggy/tyreke to a reality of vasquez/lopez? wow, way to think big, guys...

:rolleyes:

right now i'm seeing a lotta big talk from the new regime folding under the pressure. they look like amateurs too afraid to do what is necessary in this league: spend the money. they pulled out of negotiations with iggy, they won't commit to matching a reasonable offer for tyreke. what are they hanging their hats on, exactly? that vasquez, coming off major ankle surgery, is gonna quit turning the ball over? that some other high quality SF will want to sign here after they pulled the rug from underneath iguodala? that mclemore is gonna be an all-star in his first couple of seasons? that cousins will be able to do it all himself? what is the plan here?

this is a bad joke, a nightmare scenario. you just don't do this in the nba, trade a superior talent for two mediocre talents, unless that superior talent suffers a major injury. you DEFINITELY don't make this trade if he's only 23 years old with one helluva ceiling. if this is true, and if the kings can't bring in anyone of significant value via free agency, i'm gonna be left speechless...
I share your sentiments, but the above is a bit of a stretch. He just had loose particles removed and it is generally considered to be a minor type of surgery. It's not like he had anything reconstructed. I understand how you feel, but the FO has made their decision. They not only looked at talent, but fit and need as well, and decided that Tyreke, as talented as he is, did not fit what they wanted in their team. Be that his generally passive nature (not hungry enough?), or just their lack of confidence in being able to take control of the team, they decided to let him go. They bought the team and it is within their right to decide what they want the team to consist of. It is clear they wanted a pass first PG, first talking with Calderon, and now actually trading for Vasquez. We needed some depth on the frontcourt, and they got a guy that blocks 1.6 shots per 26 minutes of playing time and is a very solid backup C. While what we received is not ideal, it also isn't awful. It's better than them not matching and letting him walk. So while my dream of Tyreke, Bmac, and Cousins is over, another one begins and I think it's safe to say they aren't done yet.

Ugh. Well, you can't say this didn't feel like the direction we were heading. Very unfortunate.

And I actually like Vasquez and Lopez as players. This was obviously not a talent swap, though. This was PDA deciding against Evans salary, and after that he decided he was going to get something for him. Again, I don't agree at all, but don't try and make sense of the deal from a talent perspective. We got the weak end, but it wasn't about that.

Not a good day for the Kings. We still have cap room and too many guards. I wonder what's next.

Bricklayer

Escape the fanbase? I don't deserve it? You mean the fans that support this crap team, worst in the league. The season tix I bought during the last five years? #Really #Wow
Yes, the fans' typical retort. I bought tickets, I can be as big of a jerk as I want to! Yeah, well if you buy dinner you can belittle the waitress who brings it to you too. Doesn't mean I'm not going to call you on it. Fact is Tyreke was more loyal to you than you were to him, and he put up with a tremendous amount of **** without complaint. That's good on him. Not so good on the fans.

Booooooo!

This is bull****! I thought the Maloofs were not our owners any more! Best of luck to Tyreke, hope he goes on to fulfill his potential as for the front office...go **** yourselves!

We are obviously in major tanking mode! Another average year coming right up! Hope we strike it big and get the #1 pick!
WOW! I guess the honeymoon is really over and the new team has not played one single game yet. LOL!!!

I was all on board in matching the Evans offer, and putting the ball in his hands for years to come. I love Tyreke Evans. I love his game, I love his potential......but I love winning more!!!!! This team has done absolutely nothing with Tyreke Evans as a cornerstone player. And if he becomes an All Star in NOLA, nobody will be happier than me.

But this Front Office has shown more balls in 36 hours, than the previous front office showed in the last four plus years. Geoff Petrie would have matched this offer and settled for potential mediocrity. The Maloofs would have never, ever, ever, EVER entertained the thought of signing a big money deal for Andre Iguodala. I am thrilled that we are even having this conversation. And D'Alessandro is holding up his end of the bargain and is being aggressive. Now, it is time for Pete to really be aggressive; make this trade for Vasquez and Lopez. Then go out and make the trade of the season by getting us the SF that we have so needed.

Congrats to Ranadive and Staff for vision. All you Twitter and Forum GM's who think they know more than these guys, RELAX AND HAVE A SEAT PLEASE!!!! And I wish Tyreke Evans nothing but success, he is a fine young man.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
If you think Tyreke is a superstar waiting in the wings, it's a bad deal. I don't think that. Heck, even the team that got him is thinking he's going to come off the bench as a 2/3. That doesn't portend greatness. Vivek and DA valued Tyreke, they just didn't value him at $11+ mill/year. NO was the outlier. There wasn't another team that thought he was worth it. My guess is that they didn't think he was close to being worth it. I don't blame Vivek & DA for having cap discipline; I applaud it. Many more changes ahead. This is just the beginning. It's way too early to make judgements when they are just getting started. Give it a couple of years.

This new front office has been aggressive in losing my trust. In two days I've gone from ecstatic to absolutely furious. We went from Iggy and Reke being our two rather public "top priorities" to getting neither and wimping out on the losing end of a deal for our own restricted free agent. I better simply be too dense and old fashioned to understand NBA 2.0 because otherwise you can mark Independence Day as the end of the honeymoon for me with Vivek and Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.