[Game] Kings @ Pelicans - Tuesday, Jan. 30 - 5PT

A special shout out to 2K. He plays defense, he rebounds and he makes a high percentage of his shots. I like the comment about his running the defense. So he gets 17 and 17.
To me a game like this is proof that Willie and Skal are not the answer. Willie is further along but still has a lot of 4 rebound games, and is an average defender most of the time. When was the last time either of them got 17/17?

A journeyman back up center gets a chance, and has a lot to do with the Kings victory. Willie and Skal seem very content to go through the motions. Losing does not seem to bother them at all.
Not to take anything away from KK, but he had a career night rebounding. WCS's career high is 16 rebounds.

If these guys get traded, I'll happily eat crow. (And I guess we'll never know if some GM who watched the game said to himself, "Now I know that I've just got to have Randolph, Temple, Hill, Carter and Kosta on my team!") If putting them on the silver platter of the Pelicans game makes them delectable enough for some team to grab, great. If they are still here after the trade deadline then playing Zach and Temple and Carter and Hill is going to look very questionable. If I had to guess, the minutes garnerated by the vets had more to do with Turner's one game head coaching position than it had anything to do with trades.
I agree. In this day and age, they can watch tape of the guy playing anytime they want, or watch the last time he played after coming back from injury, or after turning 38, or whatever. Featuring players to boost their trade value is probably useful in some cases, but otherwise I think it’s out of date thinking.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not to take anything away from KK, but he had a career night rebounding. WCS's career high is 16 rebounds.
Anyone that says Willie is an average defender, has no clue what the hell they're talking about. Put Koufos on the perimeter one on one with a top PG and see how he fares. That's not a knock on KK, just stating the obvious. Earlier in the year, KK got butchered trying to guard Lamarcus Aldridge. The only player on the team that did a decent to good job on Aldridge was Willie, and that was in a game where he could have shot the ball blindfolded and made it. What KK did in last nights game says absolutely nothing about Willie or Skal. Apples and oranges...

Anyone that says Willie is an average defender, has no clue what the hell they're talking about. Put Koufos on the perimeter one on one with a top PG and see how he fares. That's not a knock on KK, just stating the obvious. Earlier in the year, KK got butchered trying to guard Lamarcus Aldridge. The only player on the team that did a decent to good job on Aldridge was Willie, and that was in a game where he could have shot the ball blindfolded and made it. What KK did in last nights game says absolutely nothing about Willie or Skal. Apples and oranges...
Sometimes I just have to throw my hands up. Boggles my mind trying to wrap my walnut around what some people are ( or are not ) seeing with regards to Willie.

It is difficult. We are playing our way out of a greater chance at a high pick - and we REALLY need a high pick.

Vlade needs to move Z-Bo - send him to the pelicans. Sell them on the fact that he dominate the paint and Davis can be the mobile stretch big next to him
Something. Could even just bench him. ZBo is such a pro that he'd actually be ok with that. Think about that.

Something. Could even just bench him. ZBo is such a pro that he'd actually be ok with that. Think about that.
I love Z-bo. I had no issue with his off court drama this summer and was very happy we brought him in. I have issue with how we are using him and taking away learning time and impacting lin's.

With Monroe now on waivers, the Pel's can and should go hard at him. Benching Z is really our only option and yes he is a professional so he should be fine with it. I just dont think coach is happy to roll that way

I love Z-bo. I had no issue with his off court drama this summer and was very happy we brought him in. I have issue with how we are using him and taking away learning time and impacting lin's.

With Monroe now on waivers, the Pel's can and should go hard at him. Benching Z is really our only option and yes he is a professional so he should be fine with it. I just dont think coach is happy to roll that way
...... and I’m not. Stay the course, coach.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Is defensive rebounding incorporated into defense or is that an entirely different category? I've always heard that defense ends with getting the defensive rebound. See where WCS is on defensive rebounds in 2017-18 on the list of NBA players, and also his rank on rebounds per 48 minutes might be of interest.

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/stats...&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&opp=0

https://www.foxsports.com/nba/stats...&time=0&pos=0&team=0&qual=1&sortOrder=0&opp=0

Nobody would begrudge such a move.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I agree. In this day and age, they can watch tape of the guy playing anytime they want, or watch the last time he played after coming back from injury, or after turning 38, or whatever. Featuring players to boost their trade value is probably useful in some cases, but otherwise I think it’s out of date thinking.
They want to watch CURRENT tape. If you were going to buy a 6-year old racehorse, for example, would you be happy with his first three races or would you want to see his latest three races?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

You may not like what Joerger is doing, but you're missing something - something pretty significant. Under Joerger's tutelage, we're seeing a team of kids grow together, learn to trust each other, and also learn by watching the vets on the court. That's a tough program to build and follow but Joerger seems to be doing it.

They want to watch CURRENT tape. If you were going to buy a 6-year old racehorse, for example, would you be happy with his first three races or would you want to see his latest three races?
Of course they want to watch current tape, as I would of your race horse. I wasn't advocating for using old tape of our players (or of your race horses). Just that I think our vets are (already) getting plenty of minutes to prove they can still play at a high level. So I don't buy CM's suggestion that they are giving the vets extra minutes to showcase them to potential trade partners. On the other hand, if a potential trade partner asked if VC can still play 20 min a game, I'd be willing to "prove it" if it might unleash a 1st rounder.
p.s. What kind of race horses do you have, anyway? ;-)

You may not like what Joerger is doing, but you're missing something - something pretty significant. Under Joerger's tutelage, we're seeing a team of kids grow together, learn to trust each other, and also learn by watching the vets on the court. That's a tough program to build and follow but Joerger seems to be doing it.
Yeah things are coming along well, its great. I'm one of the few that doesn't mind watching Z dominate the paint and get his. The kids are coming along well and definitely learning. Its structured with the Vets playing a significant role both on and off the court. I see value in this, i really do. I just want to give us as much of a chance for the balls to bounce our way and hope they actually do for once and give Vlade a shot at setting us up for the foreseeable future with another star (this draft is huge in kings land).

In any case i am looking forward to us lighting up the Warriors tomorrow and continuing our win streak. Zbo, Temple and Bog to lead the charge, Koufos to be effective in his minutes. Fox the gamewinner

Of course they want to watch current tape, as I would of your race horse. I wasn't advocating for using old tape of our players (or of your race horses). Just that I think our vets are (already) getting plenty of minutes to prove they can still play at a high level. So I don't buy CM's suggestion that they are giving the vets extra minutes to showcase them to potential trade partners. On the other hand, if a potential trade partner asked if VC can still play 20 min a game, I'd be willing to "prove it" if it might unleash a 1st rounder.
p.s. What kind of race horses do you have, anyway? ;-)
I'm not positive but I think VF21 races bears.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Yeah things are coming along well, its great. I'm one of the few that doesn't mind watching Z dominate the paint and get his. The kids are coming along well and definitely learning. Its structured with the Vets playing a significant role both on and off the court. I see value in this, i really do. I just want to give us as much of a chance for the balls to bounce our way and hope they actually do for once and give Vlade a shot at setting us up for the foreseeable future with another star (this draft is huge in kings land).

In any case i am looking forward to us lighting up the Warriors tomorrow and continuing our win streak. Zbo, Temple and Bog to lead the charge, Koufos to be effective in his minutes. Fox the gamewinner
All I'm saying is that once the trade deadline is past (next Thursday) we'll be able to better assess the situation. I honestly believe we'll see the vets (at least the ones still here ;) ) take more and more of a back seat to the kids, especially if those kids are continuing to improve .

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
All I'm saying is that once the trade deadline is past (next Thursday) we'll be able to better assess the situation. I honestly believe we'll see the vets (at least the ones still here ;) ) take more and more of a back seat to the kids, especially if those kids are continuing to improve .
Counterpoint: one could make the argument that a big part of the reason why bad teams stay bad is because sub-par management and ownership continues to be enabled by fans. No matter how dumb a coaching decision appears to be, there will always be fans willing to give them the benefit of the doubt, no amount of GM or ownership ****ery that won't be accepted with, "Well, we have to see how it all plays out!"

We'll see if Vlade moves anyone (im not sure if he will) and if coach is strong enough to bench the vets in favor of more playing time for the kids if they are still here.

The first half of the season has been Vet heavy. Nothing wrong with that, the second half needs to be much more of a youth movement for both their own good long term and for our record. Yes Lins are Wins and Wins built of the young kids production are real wins