[Game] Kings @ Pelicans - Tuesday, Jan. 30 - 5PT

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
On another note, does anyone else feel like we've had more non 7pm games than usual this season? I know it's probably because we have a long road trip bunched together, but I hate the later games. It sucks going to bed after watching a Kings game sometimes
Looking at the calendar, we only have 4 road games in February, 4 road games in March and 4 road games in April. Of those, 4 start at 6:30 or 7. In other words, you've only got about 8 more games that won't end at bedtime. ;)

On another note, does anyone else feel like we've had more non 7pm games than usual this season? I know it's probably because we have a long road trip bunched together, but I hate the later games. It sucks going to bed after watching a Kings game sometimes
Kings have played so much on the road and a lot, if not most of our home games have been vs Eastern Conf teams and central teams that usually get earlier start times even in Sacramento.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Kings have played so much on the road and a lot, if not most of our home games have been vs Eastern Conf teams and central teams that usually get earlier start times even in Sacramento.
Nope. Home games at G1C start at 7 unless they are Sunday matinees OR the second game on TNT, which means they start even later.

Nope. Home games at G1C start at 7 unless they are Sunday matinees OR the second game on TNT, which means they start even later.
Really? I thought East teams got 6 o clock start times. Jeez, Kings must be on the road too much. I used to be a season ticket holder too.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Really? I thought East teams got 6 o clock start times. Jeez, Kings must be on the road too much. I used to be a season ticket holder too.
I don't think the 6 p.m. start time has ever been feasible because of traffic concerns. We have been on the road a lot, however. As I said above, we've only got 12 road games left.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
We win. I'm sure disappointing to some of the tank crowd but seeing DeAaron Fox growing by leaps and bounds before our very eyes has to soothe the wound just a bit.

For those of us who don't care about the tank, YAY KINGS!!!!!!

It's a pretty danged good time to be a Kings fan.
It's not about the tank. It's about playing the youngins big minutes. I'd rather have Fox, Jackson, Bogs, Hield and Papa play for 32 minutes apiece than watch Temple and Zach play one-on-one basketball. The one vet that I'd give minutes to is Kosta. The others can eat crumbs. Fox - 27; Jackson - 18; Bogs - 18; Hield - 22; Papa - 11 minutes. Those minutes don't cut it for a team that says they want to go young.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
It's not about the tank. It's about playing the youngins big minutes. I'd rather have Fox, Jackson, Bogs, Hield and Papa play for 32 minutes apiece than watch Temple and Zach play one-on-one basketball. The one vet that I'd give minutes to is Kosta. The others can eat crumbs. Fox - 27; Jackson - 18; Bogs - 18; Hield - 22; Papa - 11 minutes. Those minutes don't cut it for a team that says they want to go young.
It's the back end of a lot of these guys first long road trip in the league. In the case of Papa, ET played him up until the point he started losing the thread of the game. It's a strategy we've seen Joerger employ in the past where he pulls a kid before he sputters and loses all the confidence that a good stretch of play can bring. Papa's first stint in the game was pretty good. His second stint was not.

And with the way Hield and Bogie were playing parts of the game, it's amazing they got as many minutes as they did.

In his three years in Sacramento, this may be the first time I've heard Kosta's voice.
It makes the Charles Barkley comment from a while back even funnier when they had a clip of Kosta talking to a foreign player and he says something like "I don't know what they're talking about but I can tell you it ain't in English" and Kenny Smith responds with something like "What? Kosta is from Ohio!"

Another encouraging game by Fox. :)

I know some will be disappointed that the Kings won this game but oh boy were the Pelicans bad tonight. Just completly lifeless. Very reminiscent of the Kings in 14/15 when Cousins went down. At this rate I have no idea where they are going. It seems like they will trade their pick and go for it. But even if they hold on to the 8th spot they will get destroyed in the playoffs if AD doesnt step up.

I know some will be disappointed that the Kings won this game but oh boy were the Pelicans bad tonight. Just completly lifeless. Very reminiscent of the Kings in 14/15 when Cousins went down. At this rate I have no idea where they are going. It seems like they will trade their pick and go for it. But even if they hold on to the 8th spot they will get destroyed in the playoffs if AD doesnt step up.
Cuz is a bigger loss than AD would be

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Carmichael Dave‏Verified account@CarmichaelDave 4h4 hours ago

For those of you mad that some vets got more time than normal tonight. I’m not going to say it, but can you think of ANY GOOD REASON why some vets might be getting increased playing time this week? ANY. AT. ALL.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don’t wanna hear that poopoo every gm knows what there getting Vince can average 30 till the deadline and stilk only fetch a 2nd rounder.
Yeah, whatever. It's not just Vince. It's about Hill, it's about Z-Bo and it's about Temple in case you weren't paying attention. Snivel and whine all you like but tonight's minute allocation made perfect sense. Have a nice night.

Yeah, whatever. It's not just Vince. It's about Hill, it's about Z-Bo and it's about Temple in case you weren't paying attention. Snivel and whine all you like but tonight's minute allocation made perfect sense. Have a nice night.
ZBo isn’t being traded we both know that Vince should be kept unless he demands out

I'm not a tanker, but I do want the Kings to play the youngsters meaningful minutes, even if that means sometimes losing a game that might otherwise be winnable.
No throwing anyone into the fire. But how about putting them into the pan and turning up the heat a little?
If we get wins under those conditions, I'll happily take them. If we get losses, I'll be fine while I fantasize about a top 5 draft pick.

It's the back end of a lot of these guys first long road trip in the league. In the case of Papa, ET played him up until the point he started losing the thread of the game. It's a strategy we've seen Joerger employ in the past where he pulls a kid before he sputters and loses all the confidence that a good stretch of play can bring. Papa's first stint in the game was pretty good. His second stint was not.

And with the way Hield and Bogie were playing parts of the game, it's amazing they got as many minutes as they did.
Yes, he was not so good in his second stint, he wound up with a +/- of -6 in 11 minutes.

Both Buddy and Bogs games have been off a little bit, it's been a long road trip, I believe both are just mentally tired, no need to run them into the ground.

Fox has been great, but did I not read he was probable before the game with a calf bruise? 27 minutes for him might have been pushing it, hope he is not out the next game.

I would have like to have seen Jackson play more minutes (18 Min), but maybe it had something to do with match-ups or whatever. I would not want to see the game coached with one eye on trying to squeeze out a loss. like some on here advocate. I am not going to join the conspirationists that it is all a vast plot master-minded by the FO and coaching staff to deprive the Kings fan's of that number one pick.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Carmichael Dave‏Verified account@CarmichaelDave 4h4 hours ago

For those of you mad that some vets got more time than normal tonight. I’m not going to say it, but can you think of ANY GOOD REASON why some vets might be getting increased playing time this week? ANY. AT. ALL.
If these guys get traded, I'll happily eat crow. (And I guess we'll never know if some GM who watched the game said to himself, "Now I know that I've just got to have Randolph, Temple, Hill, Carter and Kosta on my team!") If putting them on the silver platter of the Pelicans game makes them delectable enough for some team to grab, great. If they are still here after the trade deadline then playing Zach and Temple and Carter and Hill is going to look very questionable. If I had to guess, the minutes garnerated by the vets had more to do with Turner's one game head coaching position than it had anything to do with trades.

Last edited:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
By the way, has anybody noticed who now is really running this team on the court? It's not Zach, Hill, Temple, or Carter. It's Fox. Fox, Fox, Fox. When he's out there they go. When he's not, they sputter, despite the occasional one-on-one fall-away jumper from Temple and ball hogging from Randolph. Fox is getting it. Which means that players who complement Fox need to play and those that don't need to have more rest time. Which means Fox needs to defer less to the vets and they need to defer more to him. Which means that Jackson, Buddy, Bogs, WCS, Skal, and even Papa (for rebounding and screens) need to play some big minutes going forward. Isn't anybody at least curious what those aforementioned youngins could do on the floor if they got big minutes over the rest of the season? I am. Give 'em the reins. Free the youngins!

P.S. I also see that Jackson is "getting it." He's obviously more comfortable out on the floor, making great cuts, passing very good passes, and even playing some D and rebounding. It's a crime this guy gets 18 minutes against NO. He should be getting around 30 minutes a game.

Really wanted this lin. Hope it doesn't come back to bite us.
It is difficult. We are playing our way out of a greater chance at a high pick - and we REALLY need a high pick.

Vlade needs to move Z-Bo - send him to the pelicans. Sell them on the fact that he dominate the paint and Davis can be the mobile stretch big next to him

A special shout out to 2K. He plays defense, he rebounds and he makes a high percentage of his shots. I like the comment about his running the defense. So he gets 17 and 17.
To me a game like this is proof that Willie and Skal are not the answer. Willie is further along but still has a lot of 4 rebound games, and is an average defender most of the time. When was the last time either of them got 17/17?

A journeyman back up center gets a chance, and has a lot to do with the Kings victory. Willie and Skal seem very content to go through the motions. Losing does not seem to bother them at all.

Last edited:
It smarts when it’s the vets, I can’t lie. But Fox still looking good
The vets are some of our best game time assets. Foolish not to play them. We talk about the team as “vets” and “rooks”. They are all players. You try to win each game the best combo you’ve got for the moment. Love this win.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member

[Hot Taek alert]
For all the criticism that Cousins gets for never getting a team over thirty-three wins, the one and only time that Anthony Davis has gotten over thirty-four wins was the year that a healthy Tyreke Evans balled his ass off (had a better year than his 20-5-5 rookie campaign, despite averaging fewer points). Davis is lowkey the most overrated superstar in the league.
[/Hot Taek alert]