[Game] Kings @ Pelicans (Play-In Tournament) - 4/19 6:30PM PDT/9:30 PM EDT

lol Hey Guys I’m back ……Pelicans beat the Kings twice without Zion this year and on January 7th without Zion by 33 points and went up by 50 points at one point in that game and that was with Monk and Huerter playing. The last game was without Ingram also. I believe we take this one. Throw Herb Jones and Dyson on Fox and Murphy III on Murray and they will fold. Kings will be forced to double team Jonas on Sabonis and that will leave open shots. I’m bummed about Z not playing, but also excited to we get to see the guy we call the knife “Naji “ back and hopefully our rookie that we call Hawk Eye aka Jordan Hawkins. He may be the best shooter on the team with Trey Murphy.
You can crawl back under your rock.

Kings coming off their most complete game in a month, Pels falling to pieces. Obviously we must play the game but the pressure really is on the home team here and we have a chance to make 0-5 a meaningless fluke in the statistics. Feels like we're playing with house money even though making or missing the playoffs is actually going to have consequences for how this team builds in the offseason.
Kings played well partially because the W’s are the smallest team in the NBA and they are too old to be quick.

the Kings have struggled with length at the wing all year and even without Zion the Pels have it in spades. Mike isn’t the kind of coach to change things up. If we struggle with San Antonio and Houston and lost to a Zionless Pels team by 30, I’m not so sure why people are so confident.

Without Zion the Pels are a perimeter oriented offense. That means Fox, Keon, Davion, and Keegan need to do exactly what they just did against GS on Friday -- smother their guards and wings on the perimeter, rotate quickly and efficiently and then find your man and don't give them any space to shoot a clean jumper.

I'm glad that "Kings choke the easy ones" meme is out there because it's just one extra reminder to take this next game seriously regardless of who is or is not playing. This isn't the regular season. There's no back-to-backs, no flying in the night before and playing an early afternoon game, no looking forward to the next match-up a few days down the road. When this Kings squad plays with focus and intensity for the full 48 they're a tough match-up for anyone.

Let's get it! Can't wait for Friday!
I think the fact they lost to the Pels 133-100 without Zion once already would be more than enough extra reminder.

Fully prepared for a let down after a huge win against the Warriors. Kings usually lose after a big win because that's just how the season has gone. Even without Zion the Kings just can't beat the Pelicans.
Sadly, this is exactly what I was thinking.

Hope I'm wrong.

The only consistent thing about the Kings this season is our ability to be inconsistent. I have no idea which version of our team will show up tomorrow and that is what makes me the most nervous. There’s no way to even mentally prepare. We may lose by 30 plus, be up by 20+ and blow it, or surprise everyone and win easily. As long as we don’t embarrass ourselves tomorrow by playing like a G league team, I’ll take whatever outcome happens. On paper, we are at a disadvantage. Their strengths unfortunately mirror a lot of our weaknesses, but you play the game for a reason. If we play like we are capable of, I firmly believe we can hang with anyone. If we are going to pick a point in the season to flip the switch, tomorrow is it.

The reason that I am optimistic - I think we can pressure their ball handlers all game. If we can make them use a ton of shot clock before getting into their offense - and avoid turnovers when we have the ball, our chances are good. That’s assuming we actually cover CJ and Murphy III and don’t let Ingram live at the line.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Zion, no Zion doesn't really matter when they still have Ingram and McCullum who the Kings can't defend. Sabonis trying to play bully ball versus Valanciunas is not a recipe for success either, he needs to take those mid range jumpers, make or miss. If this is the last game of the season, at least let it be a competitive conclusion to the season, that's all.

Zion, no Zion doesn't really matter when they still have Ingram and McCullum who the Kings can't defend. Sabonis trying to play bully ball versus Valanciunas is not a recipe for success either, he needs to take those mid range jumpers, make or miss. If this is the last game of the season, at least let it be a competitive conclusion to the season, that's all.
If Keon can guard Curry, he can guard McCollum.

I pointed this out earlier but Sabonis has gone 18.8 10 and nearly 7 against Val this year and outscored him in all 5 games. He’s a tougher match up than most but he still has plenty of success against him.

I think this is the way. Make BI work of course but let him get his, focus on shutting off the other guys - CJ, Trey Murphy, Herb Jones, Alvarado.
I join completely your opinion …
If we decrease their 3pt shooting which was outstanding so far against us we will keep them in ours game …
1,2,3…5 it’s enough…
Time to build one brick wall and go for a summer holiday !

Mike Brown and the staff needs to throw away their game plans they had for the 5 games against the Pels during the regular season.

The Kings need to dial up the defensive pressure from the opening tip, like what they did against the Warriors.... unleash Keon on CJ and Murray on Ingram..... Sabonis needs to get involved early and take the ball in hard against Jonas and also take the open 3s and mid range jumpers..... pressure the 3 point shooters and don't allow open 3s all game (maybe throw in some Kessler Edwards defense).... Keegan needs to stay aggressive and score 20+ and defend Ingram effectively.... if the Kings can do all of this, they have a good chance winning this game

Last edited:
Put Davion on Jose Alvarado. That guy is like the Energizer Bunny when he plays the Kings. He had 7 assists and 10 points against the Lakers, +10 overall, and very similar numbers against us on April 11, except +17.

https://www.espn.com/nba/boxscore/_/gameId/401585798
I don’t really like Fox on him. Fox doesn’t seem to do well against the super speedy, low center of gravity guards. Not sure if it’s lack of respect or what, but I’d much rather have Fox guard up then go against this type.

lol Hey Guys I’m back ……Pelicans beat the Kings twice without Zion this year and on January 7th without Zion by 33 points and went up by 50 points at one point in that game and that was with Monk and Huerter playing. The last game was without Ingram also. I believe we take this one. Throw Herb Jones and Dyson on Fox and Murphy III on Murray and they will fold. Kings will be forced to double team Jonas on Sabonis and that will leave open shots. I’m bummed about Z not playing, but also excited to we get to see the guy we call the knife “Naji “ back and hopefully our rookie that we call Hawk Eye aka Jordan Hawkins. He may be the best shooter on the team with Trey Murphy.
The KINGS beat this same Pels roster 2-1 last season. And historically De’Aaron Fox has owned the Pels. Even averaged over 40 one season. So I believe this season has been an anomaly and that WE take this one when it actually counts most.

Further, the 1st two games played between these teams were games 4 and 5 of a 6-game roadie with the first matchup occurring on a back-to-back. The other 3 the Pels got us on normal rest, but so what? As I said, same rosters (essentially) had different results the season before. So I don’t see any reason the tide can’t suddenly change again as they did this season from last.

Hopefully the Pels players are just as overconfident as it’s fanbase. ;)

Nawlins has beat us twice without CJ, once without BI, once without Zion and once with Zion only scoring 10 points. They have shot 40 percent from 3 in four of the five games and two of those games they shot over 50%. The Kings have out percentaged (from 3) the Pels in just one of the games. Solve that puzzle and you have a chance
Fire Brown if he doesn't solve it.

Kidding...that seems like one hell of a puzzle to solve.

I'm not expecting the Kings to win this one. Just running on hope. It would be pretty cool to see them beat the team that besmirched them 5 times in the regular season when the game really matters this time.

Mike Brown and the staff needs to throw away their game plans they had for the 5 games against the Pels during the regular season
Probably so, but more importantly IMO is the KINGS taking the game seriously and playing hard on both ends from opening tip the final buzzer. Except for perhaps the last matchup late in the season, the KINGS body language, energy and effort looked to me like a team that didn’t care much. Like many games during a long 82-game schedule, they coasted and went through the motions.

Change that up for the better and they’ve got a much better chance regardless of the game plan. But a better strategic effort would also go a long way toward changing the outcome, too.

Nawlins has beat us twice without CJ, once without BI, once without Zion and once with Zion only scoring 10 points. They have shot 40 percent from 3 in four of the five games and two of those games they shot over 50%. The Kings have out percentaged (from 3) the Pels in just one of the games. Solve that puzzle and you have a chance
As I mentioned above, “effort”.

It mostly wasn’t there defensively in at least 4 of the 5 matchups. Mixed with “lazy” offense, we all saw the results.

If the KINGS play with the same effort, energy, hustle and defensive intensity they showed against the Warriors on Tuesday night, their odds will be greatly improved.

Fully prepared for a let down after a huge win against the Warriors. Kings usually lose after a big win because that's just how the season has gone. Even without Zion the Kings just can't beat the Pelicans.
Not so far this season, but they beat the Pels 2-1 last season with both teams fielding similar lineups.

So there’s no reason the tide can’t change again. Besides, how fitting would it be to beat a team that beat you 5x? It’s precisely the type of thing that would happen to the KINGS if the roles were reversed.

As long time Miami Dolphins fan, I recall the Dolphins heading into an AFC Championship game with home field advantage against a Patriots team that was 0-18 all time in Miami heading into the game (including 0-1 that season). Guess what happened?

Last edited:

gunks

Hall of Famer
I'm not optimistic about it, but then again, I thought we'd lose to the Warriors last night and we TROUNCED EM!

Go Kings!

I am a little concerned that Sabonis did not make any shots that were not around the basket in the past two games. He has to sink a couple of mid-range jumpers to keep Valančiūnas honest.

Another concern is the skill with which New Orleans sets picks for CJ McCollum. Somehow, the Kings have to figure out how to get a hand in his face, no matter how slippery the move or play. That may mean double teaming to negate the screen. McCollum does average 4.6 assists per game, and certainly knows how to pass the ball. The guy hit 6 of 9 three-pointers one week ago today.

Last edited:
Getting nervous again but there's no better way to erase a 5-0 humiliation after beating your NorCal rival. You would absolutely have to respect that road to the playoffs, Zion or not.

I spoke with my brother in law about upcoming game. We reminisced about many games we watched together years ago. NBA Finals between Rockets and Knicks in 1994 and so on. We used to go hunting, but always made back before the tip-off. I teased him: "Well, the game will start for me tomorrow", he just cursed at me. I imagine that since he has a day of on Saturday, he'll just keep sipping on good cognac, waiting for the game to start. Time zones are a b*tch, I know :)

I think the fact they lost to the Pels 133-100 without Zion once already would be more than enough extra reminder.
We actually beat the Kings twice without Zion and we were up almost 50 points in 1 of those games. I hope we get to introduce you guys to the guy we call Hawk eye.(Edit- I think he was out there that game we were up 50 and got a few 3 pointers off)Time to put the shooters on the floor. I keep hearing about Fox and Herb Jones will be ready for him. Ingram had a lot of high praise today from practice. So I would expect Baby KD to have his redeem game from that lakers game.