Kings NBA Draft Workouts

bajaden

Hall of Famer
"On Friday, they (Utah) brought in Georgetown big man Greg Monroe for a solo workout. Monroe's agent, David Falk, will let Monroe work out against only Cousins or Favors."

So he'll work out against guys, but only those they perceive as projected higher than him. I doubt Favors or Cousins will work out against him either. Not because they're afraid, but because they have nothing to gain.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/blog?name=nba_draft&id=5260049
I guess I'm going to be forced to renew my Insider subscription so I can read this stuff again. It would be fun to see Monroe work out against Cousins though. I'd like to feel comfortable that he can play center on a regular basis. My first choice is still Cousins, but I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Monroe.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I guess I'm going to be forced to renew my Insider subscription so I can read this stuff again. It would be fun to see Monroe work out against Cousins though. I'd like to feel comfortable that he can play center on a regular basis. My first choice is still Cousins, but I'm starting to warm up to the idea of Monroe.
What exactly do they do in these workouts? Is it a one-on-one kind of drill? Do they play H-O-R-S-E? If it's a one on one kind of thing, I can see Monroe doing quite well against Cousins by taking him outside and facing the basket. Probably better than Cousins would do taking Monroe inside. Just a guess.

What exactly do they do in these workouts? Is it a one-on-one kind of drill? Do they play H-O-R-S-E? If it's a one on one kind of thing, I can see Monroe doing quite well against Cousins by taking him outside and facing the basket. Probably better than Cousins would do taking Monroe inside. Just a guess.
Yeah its probly all drill based, not necessarily just a game of one on one to ten. So one on one starting with an entry pass from this point in the key. Switch. Then the elbow. Switch. Then do the other side etc. Then they probly run through regular team drills so they can compare movement and athleticism. Usually its more than just two guys too.

I think an assistant coach can participate. Like SAR could do some drills with him and get a good feel for Monroe's game. Or the Kings should bring in Webber as an assistant to see if the comparison of Monroe to post-knee Webber are true...

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well I would put my money on Cousins in the post. As for how Monroe would do against Cousins on the outside, who cares? Thats not Cousins game. The Kings don't need another guy that stands outside and shoots jumpers all night. They already have that in Hawes.

Monroe improved a lot offensively in the post this last season. As did his rebounding. And if Cousins isn't available, he may well be the next best choice for an all around player. But he's not as good as Cousins in the post.

As for what they do in individual workouts, its mostly just drills. Shooting off the dribble. Shooting from different spots on the floor. Making post moves with an assistant coach providing his body as an obstacle. Its very difficult to appraise a players all around game when you get them in for a group workout, much less an individual workout. At the very least you'd like them to go one on one with another player.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Well I would put my money on Cousins in the post. As for how Monroe would do against Cousins on the outside, who cares? Thats not Cousins game. The Kings don't need another guy that stands outside and shoots jumpers all night. They already have that in Hawes.

Monroe improved a lot offensively in the post this last season. As did his rebounding. And if Cousins isn't available, he may well be the next best choice for an all around player. But he's not as good as Cousins in the post.

As for what they do in individual workouts, its mostly just drills. Shooting off the dribble. Shooting from different spots on the floor. Making post moves with an assistant coach providing his body as an obstacle. Its very difficult to appraise a players all around game when you get them in for a group workout, much less an individual workout. At the very least you'd like them to go one on one with another player.
If I recall correctly the Kings have a set workout they do with every player, the exact same workout they have been doing since Petrie arrived. Having a set workout year after year allows them to compare players across drafts as well as against those in the current draft class.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
If I recall correctly the Kings have a set workout they do with every player, the exact same workout they have been doing since Petrie arrived. Having a set workout year after year allows them to compare players across drafts as well as against those in the current draft class.
Yeah, I agree. Jerrry Reynolds alluded to that very thing in his interview on the Rise Guys show.

Cousins clearly woking on that body fat %

From his Twitter.

Staying the night in atl ...hope it's a waffle house nearby

Breakfast at da waffle house 20 sausage biscuits ...hold up excuse ma'am what come on a sausage biscuit???!!! Travvvvvyyyyyy!!!

I'm really warming up to the idea of Udoh at #5. I think Johnson is still the best player available but I wouldn't mind if we picked Udoh. Can somebody post about how the workout goes today if they hear anything? :)

From his Twitter.

Breakfast at da waffle house 20 sausage biscuits ...hold up excuse ma'am what come on a sausage biscuit???!!! Travvvvvyyyyyy!!!

If that really is him, I see him sliding VERY far. Can you say Derrick Coleman II?

If that really is him, I see him sliding VERY far. Can you say Derrick Coleman II?
I keep hearing Derrick Coleman this, Derrick Coleman that... you mean the Derrick Coleman that averaged 18 and 10 his rookie year and hovered around 20 and 10 until he began declining in his 30s? Sign me up for that guy.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think an assistant coach can participate. Like SAR could do some drills with him and get a good feel for Monroe's game. Or the Kings should bring in Webber as an assistant to see if the comparison of Monroe to post-knee Webber are true...
Wouldn't it be fun if Hawes and Thompson could work out against Cousins and Monroe? :p Then you'd have some major motivation on both sides.

Kingster

Hall of Famer

The Kings don't have a great shot blocker either. So draft Alabi. Who cares if he can't shoot, right? :rolleyes: We have that in Hawes, right?:rolleyes: The Kings don't have a great outside shooter either. So draft the best outside shooter in college, even though he's 5'10" and can't do anything else. Who cares, we have Tyreke who is a great defender. We don't need that, right? :rolleyes:

From his Twitter.

i thought you were joking.. i looked up his twitter and he posted that.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Kings don't have a great shot blocker either. So draft Alabi. Who cares if he can't shoot, right? :rolleyes: We have that in Hawes, right?:rolleyes: The Kings don't have a great outside shooter either. So draft the best outside shooter in college, even though he's 5'10" and can't do anything else. Who cares, we have Tyreke who is a great defender. We don't need that, right? :rolleyes:
The Kings need a threat in the post. Now if you can get one thats a great shotblocker as well, thats terrific. But right now, Cousins is the best center in the draft. who comes in second is up for grabs, and I'm willing to agree that maybe Monroe might be that guy. There is no perfect player out there at the center position.

Obviously you don't value my opinion, and prefer to instead mock it, when you know perfectly well what I meant. Starting with Alabi, the rest of your post was pure nonsense and nothing but a mockery of me. Thanks, I really appreciate it.

Monroe is simply not a good idea IMO.
I agree. I'm actually kind of glad that most mock drafts have him going to us because they're almost never right with the Kings picks. I had a dream the other night that we took Monroe though. Not that it means anything, but..

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Kings need a threat in the post. Now if you can get one thats a great shotblocker as well, thats terrific. But right now, Cousins is the best center in the draft. who comes in second is up for grabs, and I'm willing to agree that maybe Monroe might be that guy. There is no perfect player out there at the center position.

Obviously you don't value my opinion, and prefer to instead mock it, when you know perfectly well what I meant. Starting with Alabi, the rest of your post was pure nonsense and nothing but a mockery of me. Thanks, I really appreciate it.
I just don't value that line of reasoning. I've heard it continually and it makes no sense to me. It's as if each player only provides one thing, so forget about the rest. We don't need X from him. So don't worry about it, this other guy provides X. Well, that's great, but basketball players have to be multi-dimensional and do X, Y and Z, so you can't just dismiss the other stuff they might have to do. If Monroe kicks the **** out of Cousins in a one on one drill, you can't dismiss that either. It wouldn't be the only factor, but it would be one in assessing both of them.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I just don't value that line of reasoning. I've heard it continually and it makes no sense to me. It's as if each player only provides one thing, so forget about the rest. We don't need X from him. So don't worry about it, this other guy provides X. Well, that's great, but basketball players have to be multi-dimensional and do X, Y and Z, so you can't just dismiss the other stuff they might have to do. If Monroe kicks the **** out of Cousins in a one on one drill, you can't dismiss that either. It wouldn't be the only factor, but it would be one in assessing both of them.

what line of reasoning are you talking about? I don't have a particular line of reasoning. I just evaluate players. Period!!!! It is my opinion that Cousins is a better player than Monroe. Espeically in the post, which is where I believe the Kings need the most help. I don't have a problem with a player also having a good game away from the basket, just as long as he doesn't live out there. Thus, I mentioned Hawes. I happen to like Hawes, but so far he's disappointed me. He has a good post game and he doesn't use it. So thats the lingering fear I have with Monroe.

Thats not to say I don't have some fears with Cousins as well. But most of his aren't basketball related. At least not directly. As far as players being multi-dimensional, I agree! When did I ever say that I wanted one-dimensional players? Just so you know, Cousins has a game away from the basket. He has a jumpshot and its a pretty good one. Unfortunately he was encouraged by Calapari to stay in the post most of the time. Which is Cousins strength.

This last season Monroe played much better in the post. Or maybe I should say, he played in the post this last season. I give him credit for that. I'm just not sure if he'll continue to play down low once in the pro's. I have no reason to believe he won't, other than in his first year he lived away from the basket. So I'm not sure which is the real Monroe. But even if God himself guaranteed me that Monroe would play down low, and I had to choose between Cousins and Monroe, I'll still take Cousins. Because I think he's the better player. Not because I have man love, or I just love one-dimensional players, or that I just want to irritate you. No! Because after watching him play for an entire season of college basketball, I think he's the best center in college basketball. If I end up being wrong, I'll be the first one to admit it..:)