Kings lose tie breaker, get #7 pick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Kings drop to 8, which so many of you are fearing, that means one of the teams that tanked even less than we did jumped up to a top 3... which means we'd have been better off with an extra meaningless win or two.

While I'd love Doncic or Ayton if we somehow win the lottery, I really do think in the modern game most of the guys in the 3-10 range are going to succeed or fail based on what team drafts them and how they are developed rather than on pure talent alone.

Of ****ing course. Lol if someone wants to tell me all those wins on the backs of vets meant something. If the Kings don't move up in the lotto by miracle....

Another year of picking in the mid lotto despite being a bottom 3 team..and this time, without a franchise player. How idiotic. Lol be prepared for a heavy Giles summer marketing. If he doesn't pan out, it's okay everyone will forget about the hype just like how they forgot about Skal's. I don't give a crap what Doug said about Giles. I'm pretty sure he said the same things about Skal. How'd that work out this year?

Why can't we just get 1 bluechip prospect? We have the longest playoff drought in the NBA. The last time we made the playoffs, our best player was Ron Artest. I'm so tired of this as a Kings fan. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. It's our plan.

1) BE HORRIBLE
2) START WINNING GAMES WHEN THE SEASON DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE. FINISHED THE LAST 21 GAMES 9-12
3) GET A MID-LOTTO PICK
4) DRAFT A DISAPPOINTMENT

This is the same cycle every year. It's almost become a sick joke at this point. Don't say crap about building a "winning culture". How the hell did this workout for us the last 10 years? HOW? PLEASE TELL ME HOW. Also for any of you saying the team is too good for "tanking"...LOL we tanked last year in order to keep our pick. For heaven sakes, we played scrub ass Papagiannis.

Another thing that concerns me so much is that we'll hamper the development of the young kids next year all because Vlade wants to save his ****ing face for trading the 2019 pick. He's already talking about making young players earn their minutes. LOL

Of ****ing course. Lol if someone wants to tell me all those wins on the backs of vets meant something. If the Kings don't move up in the lotto by miracle....

Another year of picking in the mid lotto despite being a bottom 3 team..and this time, without a franchise player. How idiotic. Lol be prepared for a heavy Giles summer marketing. If he doesn't pan out, it's okay everyone will forget about the hype just like how they forgot about Skal's. I don't give a crap what Doug said about Giles. I'm pretty sure he said the same things about Skal. How'd that work out this year?

Why can't we just get 1 bluechip prospect? We have the longest playoff drought in the NBA. The last time we made the playoffs, our best player was Ron Artest. I'm so tired of this as a Kings fan. EVERY SINGLE YEAR. It's our plan.

1) BE HORRIBLE
2) START WINNING GAMES WHEN THE SEASON DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE. FINISHED THE LAST 21 GAMES 9-12
3) GET A MID-LOTTO PICK

This is the same cycle every year. It's almost become a sick joke at this point. Don't say crap about building a "winning culture". How the hell did this workout for us the last 10 years? HOW? PLEASE TELL ME HOW. Also for any of you saying the team is too good for "tanking"...LOL we tanked last year in order to keep our pick. For heaven sakes, we played scrub ass Papagiannis.

Another thing that concerns me so much is that we'll hamper the development of the young kids next year all because Vlade wants to save his ****ing face for trading the 2019 pick. He's already talking about making young players earn their minutes. LOL
One silver lining about that is when Joerger's vet bias and Vlade's wanting to save face inevitably causes the season to implode, heads should be starting to fly.

Holy crap how many times do we have to answer this dumb question ?

DO WHAT EVERYONE ELSE DID

Sit their young talented guys for 1 freakin game or even half the damn game. Sit all the damn vets. You think the Mavs fans are feeling bad because DSJ didn’t get too much burn or the Bulls are in panic mode because they sat Lauri Markkanen almost every half in the last week? Buddy, WCS, Fox, and Bogi shouldn’t have played at all.
People, especially the older NBA fans, don't want to accept that this is the new nba. If you're a small market team that doesn't have a chance at marquee free agents then your only correct course of action is to tank. It sucks but that's just the way it is. Unfortunately the kings don't seem to grasp this. In their mind, the 4 or 5 games that were won purely on the back of veteran players that won't be here in 3 years is worth the long term mediocrity we have a high chance of going through. For all the peiple that are happy with this season good for you. But those meaningless wins most likely will cost us big time.

Maybe this will help you feel better?

Buddy, De'Aaaron and Bogdan had some big moments for us this season. We just need to go BPA in this draft no matter what and we'll be adding a key player to compliment all that clutchness. I don't care about size or position this year. Just get somebody good. Even if it's another guard like Collin Sexton or Trae Young or Shai Gilgeous-Alexander -- we'll just have the best guard rotation in the league. Nothing to complain about there! I realize context is everything and I'm a little upset we're not better set up for the lotto too but it's water under the bridge. Look at the core we have and the guys we can add to that and it could be a lot worse.
Here's the thing, Vlade and Joerger have already talked about how they're going to make the young guys earn their PT. If we did draft a guard like Trae Young, he would get the Malik Monk treatment. You really think Joerger will let our rookie play through his mistakes? dO He didn't even let Fox or Buddy do that until January.

I'm just not as excited by our "big 3" as most fans are. I don't even think the coaches can even put them in a position to succeed. It's not a coincidence that Buddy and Fox "broke out" after Joerger benched the vets.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Does 8 matter because it’s a real possibility?
Nope.

4-10 is a wash. The mocks are all over the place, and some of the guys in the upper half of the top 10 have major bust potential to go along with the upside (JJJ, Bamba, Porter) while the guys available to us are safer picks with decent ceilings (the Bridges).

Would I prefer a high upside pick like Bamba? Heck yeah. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I stopped pulling my hair out over our halfarsed tank months ago.

Vivek was gonna pick Trae with the 1st pick anyways. Now we can get him at 7 or 8! (I keed, I keed)

Can anyone honestly say they're surprised? We absolutely deserved this by the way. Or at least the organisation does.
Now for all intents and purposes I think this is not a fair statement. The organization that played to win, the players that went out and competed, do not deserve to get a worse draft pick. We shot ourselves in the foot in terms of draft positioning due to a flawed system, and we have to live with the suboptimal results, but in no way does the team "deserve" to be worse off, let's get that clear.

You know, its the imminent feeling of doom that we are going to miss out on our top player of choice and future all star by one pick!

For example, Mikal Bridges will be picked at #6 and we wind up with Trae Young at #7, another point guard (i.e. like having to draft Spencer Freaking Hawes one slot behind Joakim Noah 10 years ago).

It's the #KANGZ way of life!

Why can't we win one thing that matter for once!
Okay and what if Young becomes a 20-7 pg he has as much potential as anyone in the draft. As does Bamba and Jackson.

Pick 6: top 3 pick chance 18% 1st pick: 5%
Pick 7: top 3 pick chance 18% 1st pick: 5%

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
That and the anti Lin crowd. They are equally responsible for pushing Kings management.
Yeah, you know Vlade sends me a message every morning asking what I want him to do. I tried telling him it would get out somehow, but you know Vlade. He just laughed, took another drag off his cigarette and shrugged.

The extent to which some of you are willing to go to find a reason to whine, gripe and be miserable is hilarious. What will you say IF the #8 spot ends up jumping to 1, 2 or 3? I'm sure you'll find a way to make it something different than what it is...a crap shoot.

Since I closed the Lin championship thread, I guess this can now be the official whining, crying and moaning thread - at least until the Draft Lottery on Tuesday, May 15. Then I suppose we can start a new one until Draft Day. And then, of course, a new one for Summer league, for training camp, etc.

Both tweaners. Not skilled enough to play 3 and not long enough for 4
Robinson had 2 things going for him coming outof college. He was a very good athlete and a good rebounder. Everything else was potential.

While I'm not a huge fan of Miles Bridges, he is a good 3pt shooter and gets to the basket well. He is a good enough ball handler to play the 3 and should at least be an average defensive player. He is also a very good athlete. I question if he can be a star, but not if he can play in the NBA.

Nope.

4-10 is a wash. The mocks are all over the place, and some of the guys in the upper half of the top 10 have major bust potential to go along with the upside (JJJ, Bamba, Porter) while the guys available to us are safer picks with decent ceilings (the Bridges).

Would I prefer a high upside pick like Bamba? Heck yeah. But I'm not going to lose sleep over it. I stopped pulling my hair out over our halfarsed tank months ago.

Vivek was gonna pick Trae with the 1st pick anyways. Now we can get him at 7 or 8! (I keed, I keed)
Haha!!

I’m not of the same opinion where the talent drops off.

gunks

Hall of Famer
Haha!!

I’m not of the same opinion where the talent drops off.
That's fair! For the record, I was pro lin all year, and think that once again our FO **** the bed with how they handled this season.

I suppose I'm just sick of being bummed about it. Whatever will be, will be.

Hopefully a miracle happens on lotto day. It would be pretty funny if all the arguing of this past season is rendered moot by a lucky bounce of the Ping Pong balls.

Last edited:
That's fair! For the record, I was pro lin all year, and think that once again our FO **** the bed with how they handled this season.

I suppose I'm just sick of being bummed about it. Whatever will be, will be.

Hopefully a miracle happens on lotto day. It would be pretty funny if all the arguing of this past season is rendered moot by a lucky bounce of the Ping Pong balls.
I think we can all agree on that!!! Better to be lucky than good.

A lot of folks are pretty confident the Kings, who tend to suck at drafting and developing talent, will just pick a gem out of the middle of the lottery after firing the head of their scouting department a few months ago. Sure, that seems probable. Why not make the pick blindfolded and riding a horse. Let’s make this interesting

You could tell from 2 months out this kind of thing was fairly inevitable. There were 8 or 10 teams on a downward trajectory....statistically too many teams. Kings got a bit of a raw deal......I'm wondering if they're going to go for the best consensus 3, 4, or 5 available. Is Trae Young potentially better than Mason and/or Fox? He may be picked before the Kings can see - who knows though. I haven't spent time on this draft and probably won't...Aayton reminds me of Kevin Willis alot in his highlights....

Maybe this will help you feel better?

Buddy, De'Aaaron and Bogdan had some big moments for us this season. We just need to go BPA in this draft no matter what and we'll be adding a key player to compliment all that clutchness. I don't care about size or position this year. Just get somebody good. Even if it's another guard like Collin Sexton or Trae Young or Shai Gilgeous-Alexander -- we'll just have the best guard rotation in the league. Nothing to complain about there! I realize context is everything and I'm a little upset we're not better set up for the lotto too but it's water under the bridge. Look at the core we have and the guys we can add to that and it could be a lot worse.
This! Again, if the vets would have won these games I'd be upset as well. But it was the young guys doing it.

1) BE HORRIBLE
3) GET A MID-LOTTO PICK

I for one can't wait to see what a Shumpert-Temple-ZBO-Koufos lead team can do

But for real, picking 6, 7 or 8 only really matters if Wendell Carter doesn't declare and if Trae Young doesn't go early. We just don't get to have our pick of the Bamba-Bridges-Carter tier if we do end up 8. Trae looks like an absolute lock to the Magic though if they don't move up. We want them to stay at 5. In that case, we'd get 2 of MPJ-Bamba-Bridges-Carter falling to us at 7. That's honestly not bad as I think all 4 of those dudes could have an argument to be the 3rd or 4th best prospect in the draft.

The biggest disaster is if Carter goes back to school and Trae Young drops if we get leap-frogged in the lottery.

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
JJJ
MPJ
Bamba
Mikal Bridges

If something like that happens, I think you look to trade out and get a lotto pick next year, or maybe you try and get 12 and 13 from the Clippers. Miles Bridges, while I do believe in as a prospect, would be pretty disappointing use of the 8th pick in this draft.

Great thing next year we won’t be disappointed by our draft position! And thanks to the final and meaningless win against the best team in the NBA we finally gave a winning culture, it’s so great to be a kings fan!!!

But for real, picking 6, 7 or 8 only really matters if Wendell Carter doesn't declare and if Trae Young doesn't go early. We just don't get to have our pick of the Bamba-Bridges-Carter tier if we do end up 8. Trae looks like an absolute lock to the Magic though if they don't move up. We want them to stay at 5. In that case, we'd get 2 of MPJ-Bamba-Bridges-Carter falling to us at 7. That's honestly not bad as I think all 4 of those dudes could have an argument to be the 3rd or 4th best prospect in the draft.

The biggest disaster is if Carter goes back to school and Trae Young drops if we get leap-frogged in the lottery.

Doncic
Ayton
Bagley
JJJ
MPJ
Bamba
Mikal Bridges

If something like that happens, I think you look to trade out and get a lotto pick next year, or maybe you try and get 12 and 13 from the Clippers. Miles Bridges, while I do believe in as a prospect, would be pretty disappointing use of the 8th pick in this draft.
Normally I pretty much agree with basically all of your analyses. Thats Why I'm curious: Why do you think of Miles Bridges as a disappointing pick? He would have been my target at #10 last year in what I believed to be a better top ten than this year. He also improved a lot this year. His pull-up shooting is more advanced and his Ast/To is better. It wouldnt shock me if we look back in a few years and he is better than Bamba or MPJ and more impactful on winning than Bagley/Ayton.
Not to mention he is a terrific fit for a Kings team that starves for wing talent. Joerger will love him and might trust him at the 4 in crunch time. A small line-up of Fox-Hield-Bogdan-Miles with Wcs or C might be a really potent closing/playoff line-up.

Now for all intents and purposes I think this is not a fair statement. The organization that played to win, the players that went out and competed, do not deserve to get a worse draft pick. We shot ourselves in the foot in terms of draft positioning due to a flawed system, and we have to live with the suboptimal results, but in no way does the team "deserve" to be worse off, let's get that clear.
Sorry, but they actually do. I'm not including the players in that, as they obviously don't deserve it. But the front office/ownership does.

If you think the FO/Ownership doesn't deserve a worse pick, you're absolutely deluded. That's the name of the game. If your issue was with me including players, then fair enough, I've amended my sentiment. But if you think the FO/Ownership don't deserve this, then you have your head in the sand. They wanted their wins, fair enough then, that's their plan and they think it will work. The downside to that is losing draft position. You can't have both. They absolutely deserved it.

Let's say the BPA at 7 or 8 when we pick is Trae Young and Colin Sexton. I don't think that is a major issue. We could possibly decide to follow the Trail Blazers backcourt:

Damian Lillard is 6ft 3 and 195lbs
CJ McCollum is 6ft 3 and 190lbs

Currently Fox is listed at 6ft 3 and 175lbs. Trae Young is listed at 6ft 2 and 180lbs, while Colin Sexton is listed at 6ft 3 and 190lbs. With a bit of work on adding muscle there's no reason why Fox and Young can't add a bit more to their frame if the team felt that was needed. Otherwise stick with them as the new look backcourt. I'm not saying they will be as good as Lillard and McCollum, but trying to replicate an explosive scoring backcourt might be an option.

The alternative could be to look at teams that might want to trade for a point guard. Orlando spring to mind. If they decide to take Bamba, they might be willing to trade for Young or Sexton. The best option could be if they pick Bagley or Porter, that makes Isaac or Gordon expendable and could be an option in a trade. Let them send us their first round pick for next year. Alternatively see if we can trade back with the Clippers, maybe they'll want a point guard and will send us their two picks.

Granted the best scenario for us is if a big or a forward falls to us at 7 or 8, but a point guard is not really the end of the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.