Kings/Lakers Preseason Game Thread

You are usually way too fast in making your prognostications (for my taste). But this time I'm right there with you. I think the more minutes we give to Giles and Bagley now, the better we'll be in the near future. That doesn't mean I have given up on Skal or Willie, but I don't see them as part of the core of our team when we (finally) crash through the wall and get into the playoffs.
Bottom line is, the combination of Giles and Bagley can already do what WCS and Skal do, plus more.

There is always time to develop and grow during your rookie contract. But the longer you take to develop, the bigger chance someone better comes in to replace you.

Watched the game last night and also caught most of the 1h of the Mavs vs. Sixers game this morning.

Thoughts:
1. Fox is ahead of where I thought he would be. He's put on about 10 lbs of solid, sustainable muscle. And it shows on both sides of the ball. He stuffed Josh Hart twice last night and Hart was on skates all night. Once Fox left, Hart started flashing. While Fox was in there, he dominated. Never doubted his shot, because of his work ethic. I have always felt that shooting is a skill that can be developed (if you have the right mindset).

2. Giles looks like an older CWebb out there (the Kings version, but before the injury). He doesn't flash crazy athleticism (the knee injuries likely sapped that from him), but those hands, vision, skill, and shot. He's a gem. Knees, please stay healthy. Frank Gore career, please.

3. Bags is starting to flash the Joachim Noah like impact that I had him pegged for pre draft. Every winning team needs his type of energy. Dude still can't go right and, like Fox last year, that won't get fixed until the off season. In the meantime, I expect some early struggles as he tries to fit in and as the Kings force him off his preferred spots (down low, being a disrupter on both ends of the floor)--but over the long run, the more versatile he is, the better. Dude's 18/19.

4. Buddy's handle has gotten tighter. More please.

5. JJ is entering BMAC, Throb land. Dude, you're a 6'8 wing. If you can't make your shots, you gotta have an impact everywhere else. Flash. I think he's too nice for his own good.

6. Bad Willie showed up.

7. I'm starting to hate Mason's game.

Bonus:

8. Ayton's size is translating. His skill has always been what I thought it was--18/10 from day one. I still think Bags/Doncic will be better long term pros. Ditto for Miles Bridges. He was my fave, had we stayed at 7/8.

9. Watched Doncic this morning. Skilled, crafty, plays within an offense. He needs to change his body though. He'll produce, but I think his best version will be 2 or 3 years from now.

10. Landry Shamet has the look of a 10 year pro--one of those bench dudes who just never leaves.

11. Fultz looks very meh. Quirky, better shot. So glad we got Fox.

dude12

Hall of Famer
If the goal is to win, I think I’d give any of Skal’s minutes to Koufos. He’s just better. Going further, we have a hard time with bigger centers....Ayton was a load and WCS had a tough time with him. Have to put either Bagley or Giles or more likely Koufos on those bigs. That’s how Koufos can get some minutes.

I think Mason is going to see a major reduction in minutes. Yogi should get all backup PG minutes, play Yogi and Bogi and Hield together.

There are pieces here to make games interesting and if Fox plays at a high level, then they surely are better than a 20 win team. Yogi and Bjelica will be key vet contributors to go with the young guns.

I will agree with most of what you have said.
Let the vets rest and keep giving the young folks all the playing time you can as long as they are making progress.
I believe kostos will be a good choice against some of those big centers as experience and his playing style he will get his minutes.

The only issues I see with Giles/Bagley starting are Bjelica and Giles health, not Skal/WCS. Skal at this point certainly won’t start but Bjelica is a good player. Will the FO ease Giles minutes due to possible precaution?

I’m not sold on their shooting yet....but you just tried to back up your no shooting point by rattling off 5 guys as their “only” shooters lol
You right but from now on I think Vlade should only add shooters with Fox/Giles/Bagley is Love to just have straight shooter around them. Houston style.

The only issues I see with Giles/Bagley starting are Bjelica and Giles health, not Skal/WCS. Skal at this point certainly won’t start but Bjelica is a good player. Will the FO ease Giles minutes due to possible precaution?
I'd at least understand keeping Giles somewhat on a pitch count to start the year and bringing him off the bench. Get him 25 MPG or so, running in 6-7 minute stints. If I'm thinking about goals for this season, Giles getting through the year without a major injury and being a consistent member of the rotation is pretty high up there. 75+ games at 25-26 MPG without a big time injury for Giles would be a huge win.

I'd at least understand keeping Giles somewhat on a pitch count to start the year and bringing him off the bench. Get him 25 MPG or so, running in 6-7 minute stints. If I'm thinking about goals for this season, Giles getting through the year without a major injury and being a consistent member of the rotation is pretty high up there. 75+ games at 25-26 MPG without a big time injury for Giles would be a huge win.
I think he'll probably get about 25 MPG, but I don't think because of his knees. I think they are taking the philosophy that they can't baby his knees anymore. I mean that's what the past year and a half was for. I wince everytime he lands funny, but just hoping today's sports science has resulted in enough targeted training that his knees hold up for a long career.

Hey Joshoua, I haven't heard your report yet on how Marvin "the biggest bust in history" Bagley did tonight. Or do you want to admit that you might have been a bit premature, so that other people here will take you seriously?
When you put quotation marks on a sentence he never said, you are the only one who is trolling.

Kings fan psychology: Bagley had a good game - so the discussion keys around Justin and Skal. Kings fans can't stand good things. Funny.
Thats odd, I think there is plenty conversation about Bagleys performance.

All in all as predicted, Bagley looks good when he can play center in a 4out-1in system. Thats where he thrives offensively. He needs to be the guy sitting on a dunker spot, setting screens with spacing and attacking the boards.

Since the Kings put a huge bet on Bagley, they should construct their roster and playing style accordingly. Bagley should play a lot of center and avoid him playing with another non shooting big. Imo they should start to look at what they could get for Wcs, Koufos and Skal. Wenyen Gabriel showed some promise and their front court moving forward should be Bagley and Giles (then possibly Gabriel at pf and possibly Skal if he developes). We have zero legitimate wings atm so we need to get one in the free agency and hopefully one in the draft (with a pick we get from Skal/Wcs and or KK). With Bagley, Giles and Gabriel you have good switching ability in your front court and thats valuable. Wcs has a lot of ability but with Bagley and Giles, there is no reason to pay him anything significant in the free agency so might as well get something from him in order to get some forwards.

Edit: Oh and we need to cut Ben or Zbo and sign Gabriel for a team friendly long term deal.

When you put quotation marks on a sentence he never said, you are the only one who is trolling.

Thats odd, I think there is plenty conversation about Bagleys performance.

All in all as predicted, Bagley looks good when he can play center in a 4out-1in system. Thats where he thrives offensively. He needs to be the guy sitting on a dunker spot, setting screens with spacing and attacking the boards.

Since the Kings put a huge bet on Bagley, they should construct their roster and playing style accordingly. Bagley should play a lot of center and avoid him playing with another non shooting big. Imo they should start to look at what they could get for Wcs, Koufos and Skal. Wenyen Gabriel showed some promise and their front court moving forward should be Bagley and Giles (then possibly Gabriel at pf and possibly Skal if he developes). We have zero legitimate wings atm so we need to get one in the free agency and hopefully one in the draft (with a pick we get from Skal/Wcs and or KK). With Bagley, Giles and Gabriel you have good switching ability in your front court and thats valuable. Wcs has a lot of ability but with Bagley and Giles, there is no reason to pay him anything significant in the free agency so might as well get something from him in order to get some forwards.

Edit: Oh and we need to cut Ben or Zbo and sign Gabriel for a team friendly long term deal.
Ya I think Bagley is at his best playing center hopefully Giles keeps improving his shot.

And I think Fox will be a good shooter his mechanics are sound and his release is good should translate to being a good shooter. Fox with a good shot will make him a franchise player.

Kings fan psychology: Bagley had a good game - so the discussion keys around Justin and Skal. Kings fans can't stand good things. Funny.
John, it's a game thread. What else are people going to talk about other than who played well and who didnt? There was plenty of talk about how well Fox, Hield, Wenyen and Bagley played.

I was very encouraged by last night. My kingdom for a SF...anyway, I think we’ll see last night’s template a lot over the course of the season. Put a real scare on playoff bound teams in the first half, and force them to claw back for the win. Ultimately, we’re too young to close out a lot of these games, but there will be a number of veteran squads that find themselves down ten at the half and trying to figure out how to contain Fox. Having said that, the Lakers are not a playoff team as currently constructed. Lebron’s one-man show won’t be as successful in the west. BTW, Ingram is not worth potentially missing out on Kawhi—really bad decision by the FO and Lebron. I guess they know they’re getting AD though.

Not to relitigate, but the Bagley over Doncic decision makes a lot more sense now. Luka is a playmaking 4...a terrific talent but would have forced a change with Fox. Fox/Giles/Bagley are force multipliers for each other.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well, Fox looked terrific, Buddy looked like the Buddy we expected, Jackson disappeared again, Giles fouled out again, but looked like a potential star if he can remain healthy, and shake off a bit more rust. I know some are down on Willie, but I think Joerger is limiting his minutes in favor of getting a lot of floor time for Giles and Bagley. I watched Willie carefully, and he didn't do anything to be upset about, they simply didn't call his number and he didn't play many minutes.

I thought Gabriel played extremely well, and unlike Jackson, you knew he was on the floor. Whether he scores or not, he makes his presence felt, and if Jackson isn't careful, he'll be spending the year in Stockton and Gabriel will be playing SF. The Lakers must have been determined to win this game since they had three of their starters on the floor till the end while we had Bagley and four G-Leaguers out there. And they barely beat us. I also thought McLemore played fairly well.

One has to wonder how long it takes Lebron to strangle McGee? Should be fun to watch as the season goes on.

Well, Fox looked terrific, Buddy looked like the Buddy we expected, Jackson disappeared again, Giles fouled out again, but looked like a potential star if he can remain healthy, and shake off a bit more rust. I know some are down on Willie, but I think Joerger is limiting his minutes in favor of getting a lot of floor time for Giles and Bagley. I watched Willie carefully, and he didn't do anything to be upset about, they simply didn't call his number and he didn't play many minutes.

I thought Gabriel played extremely well, and unlike Jackson, you knew he was on the floor. Whether he scores or not, he makes his presence felt, and if Jackson isn't careful, he'll be spending the year in Stockton and Gabriel will be playing SF. The Lakers must have been determined to win this game since they had three of their starters on the floor till the end while we had Bagley and four G-Leaguers out there. And they barely beat us. I also thought McLemore played fairly well.

One has to wonder how long it takes Lebron to strangle McGee? Should be fun to watch as the season goes on.
I wasn’t too concerned witg Willie’s offense as much as his defense. He was so slow to rotate (maybe a trust issue as he didn’t feel someone was gonna cover his man if he rotated to contest shots at the rim). I could count 4-5 times he was slow to rotate and contest.