Kings/Lakers Preseason Game Thread

If we lose, we can blame it on Bagley (for not being Luka).
Or we can blame it on Willie (because he's not Capela).
Before anyone accuses me of being a Bagley or Willie guy, I'm not. I didn't want either one of them. But I'm getting really tired of the hate for these guys on this board. There's gotta be some balance soon, or I'm looking for greener pastures (after many years here). Hate hate hate. It's tiresome.

Lakers looked good last night. Lots of high IQ passes, not only from Lebron and Rondo but from other guys like Ingram and Hart as well.

If we lose, we can blame it on Bagley (for not being Luka).
Or we can blame it on Willie (because he's not Capela).
Before anyone accuses me of being a Bagley or Willie guy, I'm not. I didn't want either one of them. But I'm getting really tired of the hate for these guys on this board. There's gotta be some balance soon, or I'm looking for greener pastures (after many years here). Hate hate hate. It's tiresome.
The hate on Willie I can't speak for since I think he is more or less a solid player at this point with strengths and flaws. The "hate" on Bagley, at least any perceived by me isn't on Marvin Bagley but on an incompetent organization who passed on a better basketball player.

The hate on Willie I can't speak for since I think he is more or less a solid player at this point with strengths and flaws. The "hate" on Bagley, at least any perceived by me isn't on Marvin Bagley but on an incompetent organization who passed on a better basketball player.
Let's wait until their careers shake out before calling one better than the other please. Like Tyreke, this season may be Luka's ceiling whereas it might be Bagleys scratching of the surface. Like one of the earlier posters. I might have to look for greener pastures here soon also if this is going to be the rhetoric.

I can honestly say I cant wait for the Luka lovers to fade into the Maverick fan woodwork so I can get back to reading about KINGS basketball without this. It's really getting to be too much to even enjoy this site.

Let's wait until their careers shake out before calling one better than the other please. Like Tyreke, this season may be Luka's ceiling whereas it might be Bagleys scratching of the surface. Like one of the earlier posters. I might have to look for greener pastures here soon also if this is going to be the rhetoric.

I can honestly say I cant wait for the Luka lovers to fade into the Maverick fan woodwork so I can get back to reading about KINGS basketball without this. It's really getting to be too much to even enjoy this site.
What do you think the point of pre draft discussions are? People talk about what players they think are going to be better than others. If we used your logic we would all just sit here quietly until the players careers shook out before being able to discuss anything.

You're new here and I'd love to hear what you have to say about the team but you're going to need to grow some thicker skin if this forum is too much for you because the rest of the discussion forums out there are much much worse than this place. People actually give reasoning here for their opinions unlike other places where people are just saying goofy stuff for likes, up votes, recs, lols or whatever.

This is directed in general and not at you...
I think the normal thing to do is to express yourself and move on. Or express yourself manytimes and move on. But if you get stuck and keep repeating the same complaints over and over and over, over weeks and then months, that's obsessive-compulsive. Although they tend to think they're just "being honest" or "telling it like it is." And I'm just saying it's hard to take after awhile.

Don’t you mean a perceived better player?

Apparently not because this board seems to be filled with a bunch of real life fortune tellers who can predict a 19 year old kids future despite not having played a game in the NBA. It’s ****ing amazing how smart you all are.

I’m far from the rainbows and sunshine crowd. Heck I started a thread about Vlade not addressing the 3 spot in free agency and if the kids don’t develop he should be fired before the next free agency. But you guys going off with such certainty take the cake. Perhaps we can give Bagley a season before the hot takes. What’s worse is many of you have me agreeing with Grant. Geez..... hell must have frozen over.

Last edited:

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Which means I’ll this is one game I’ll have to miss. Journey is one of the greatest bands of all time :) No one can touch Perry, but the new lead singer does his best, he is good
I'm there mainly for Def Leppard - I've seen them in concert in 1992, 1993, 2006 (with Journey!), 2015, and 2016. Took my son to the 2016 show for his first "real" concert and taking him again tomorrow. I also saw Journey play in Sacramento at Raley Field in 2009 soon after the current lead singer joined the band. He does sound really good, by the way. Great combo for a concert tomorrow night!

What do you think the point of pre draft discussions are? People talk about what players they think are going to be better than others. If we used your logic we would all just sit here quietly until the players careers shook out before being able to discuss anything.

You're new here and I'd love to hear what you have to say about the team but you're going to need to grow some thicker skin if this forum is too much for you because the rest of the discussion forums out there are much much worse than this place. People actually give reasoning here for their opinions unlike other places where people are just saying goofy stuff for likes, up votes, recs, lols or whatever.
Okay you and I often agree but there is no reasoning to say you know Doncic will be better than Bagley. No one knows that. Know one will have a good fill for that until the end of year 2. What’s even more amazing is many of the same people claim how great Fox will be when he had one of the worst ESPN plus minus ratings in the NBA last year. So worse they are making assumptions and making them inconsistently.

So whatever reasoning they are giving they may want to rethink.

There is a simple solution to the “Luka lovers to fade into the Mav fan woodwork”, or posters being concerned with Bagley’s play, and that’s he brings some solid flashes that can get fans believing going forward. Not even asking for much, just that would quell s lot of it. Let’s hope that starts this game

This all kind of reminds me of when Tyreke was chosen over Ricky Rubio. I had Rubio ahead of Tyreke on my draft board, but the Kings took Tyreke. That first year Tyreke looked great and Rubio not so much. But now due to injuries or whatever Rubio is the solid starter in Utah and Tyreke has a bench role.

I suspect this Doncic vs. Bagley thing will play out as the season unfolds. Each player will become what fate has in store. I'm betting Luka gets to start and will be "featured" much as Tyreke was. Bagley will have to "earn" his minutes. Also Luka is flashy with the rock and plays a beautiful style of ball. Bagley is a meat and potatoes Big who relies on the guards and game plan to get his.

So rather than be antagonistic about the whole thing I am going to sit back and enjoy the ride:cool:

Okay you and I often agree but there is no reasoning to say you know Doncic will be better than Bagley. No one knows that. Know one will have a good fill for that until the end of year 2. What’s even more amazing is many of the same people claim how great Fox will be when he had one of the worst ESPN plus minus ratings in the NBA last year. So worse they are making assumptions and making them inconsistently.

So whatever reasoning they are giving they may want to rethink.
Yeah and that's why I try to choose phrases like "I think" over "I know" because obviously it's impossible to know but if you wanted a certain player over another player then that means you think player A is going to be better than player B and that's not going to change based on who drafted each player or how old they are or whatever.

You're right about Fox and I got a lock of flak for talking about that but I never once said that I knew Fox was for sure going to be a bad player....which is how many responded to me. I just said that statistically the odds of him becoming a good player were low because he was mired down in an area of the statistic where good players almost never drop down to or even start out at. We've only seen him play 2 games this year if you include SL but the Fox I saw at Kentucky is back. I don't know who that guy was last year that ran the offense 95% of the time but he's gone and the fella I thought we drafted seems to be back now. Even though it's statistically improbable after how bad his first year was, I'd look for a big jump this year in the RPM stat for Fox.

Yeah and that's why I try to choose phrases like "I think" over "I know" because obviously it's impossible to know but if you wanted a certain player over another player then that means you think player A is going to be better than player B and that's not going to change based on who drafted each player or how old they are or whatever.

You're right about Fox and I got a lock of flak for talking about that but I never once said that I knew Fox was for sure going to be a bad player....which is how many responded to me. I just said that statistically the odds of him becoming a good player were low because he was mired down in an area of the statistic where good players almost never drop down to or even start out at. We've only seen him play 2 games this year if you include SL but the Fox I saw at Kentucky is back. I don't know who that guy was last year that ran the offense 95% of the time but he's gone and the fella I thought we drafted seems to be back now. Even though it's statistically improbable after how bad his first year was, I'd look for a big jump this year in the RPM stat for Fox.
Fair enough. It appears they will use Fox off the ball more which is good and bad. Good because he hasn’t shown a great ability to find shooters. Bad because him penetrating and surrounded by shooters could be very effective if he could find them.

Fair enough. It appears they will use Fox off the ball more which is good and bad. Good because he hasn’t shown a great ability to find shooters. Bad because him penetrating and surrounded by shooters could be very effective if he could find them.
Dribble penetration should be the bread and butter of his game. Breaks down the defenses, gets our guys a step on their defenders and gets Fox to the line. He hasn't shown the best ability to find shooters but practice makes perfect and play making is something plenty of players improve on over the course of their careers. At some point, something in this offense has to be done to break the defense down because just passing the ball around the horn and cutting without setting screens isn't cutting it.

Player to watch - Skal

I’ve been bullish on Skal/Jackson, but had to hand my Jackson fan card in. Skal is hanging in the middle ground still for me and could go either way. You can’t have one rebound and not be putting imprint on the game though in your third season. Not acceptable. Needs a better showing tonight. I still think he can be quality

gunks

Hall of Famer
Looking forward to seeing the youngsters go at Lebron and the Lakers. This will be the first time I get to see the new, slightly buffer, more aggressive Fox in action!

Hopefully Bagley has a better game! Even as somebody who wanted Doncic (oh, how I pine for him to this day) I'm willing to be patient with the kid. But I don't think a couple flashes here and there is too much to ask of a number 2 pick!

Anyways, go Kings!