Kings/Lakers Preseason Game Thread

Hey Joshoua, I haven't heard your report yet on how Marvin "the biggest bust in history" Bagley did tonight. Or do you want to admit that you might have been a bit premature, so that other people here will take you seriously?
Honestly, it’s a bit premature to say he’s gonna be a bust or be a star. I just get annoyed with Kings “fans” more invested in Luka Doncic than Marvin Bagley.

Haha clowns, isn’t it clown talk to say we can criticize Bagley after SL and 1 preseason game but call out other posters after 1 good preseason game. Either you’re a hypocrite or a clown yourself
See Joshoua, you think the Doncic vs. Bagley debate has already been settled, and that Bagley is a definite bust. You're wrong about that, it's too early to tell. And if you think a player's entire career path can be determined after a couple of preseason games, you don't know enough about basketball to be worth talking to. If you want to admit you were premature in declaring him an obvious bust, there might be hope for you yet. If you want to just move the target like you just did, then you're just a troll who has nothing useful to offer here.

A big issue was limited minutes again with Fox and Buddy. Literally the one easy dunk Bagley got all night was set up by a drive and dish from Fox.

I think Frank's lack of ability to show he can run an offense is one of the most telling things we're founding out through Summer League and 2 preseason games. The box score looks good on Frank, but the stats were completely empty. It was a complete drop-off to our offensive cohesion when Fox subbed out of the game. Frank's gotten a ton of run with Giles and Bagley this summer, but hasn't been able to do absolutely anything with them in a 2 man game or get them easy shots. As a 2nd year guard and a 4 year college player, it doesn't bode well that he struggles so much with getting others involved around him.
It was so obvious how much “clunkier” the offense got when Fox wasn’t playing. I’m not trying to get too excited but seems like Fox will make a big leap this year.

If you are happy to prematurely throw mud, then men up and be ready to accept people to throw it right back at you when your views are disputed. ;)
I am if I’m wrog y’all can shame me, my issues is saying you can’t judge call the person judging a clown then judge off 1 game as well.

But I hope I was wrong about Bagley and I never called him a bust either

See Joshoua, you think the Doncic vs. Bagley debate has already been settled, and that Bagley is a definite bust. You're wrong about that, it's too early to tell. And if you think a player's entire career path can be determined after a couple of preseason games, you don't know enough about basketball to be worth talking to. If you want to admit you were premature in declaring him an obvious bust, there might be hope for you yet. If you want to just move the target like you just did, then you're just a troll who has nothing useful to offer here.
I never once said Bagley was a bust never I said taking him over Doncic was a mistake

At this point, I'd be willing to use Cauley-Stien, Labissiere, Jackson as assets to get my hands on Porter Jr.

Pros would be:
  1. Allows us to cash in on these guys so we don't bleed value
  2. Prevents us from paying someone like Cauley-Stein big money when we're not even close to competing. We need our stars established before we start locking up our cap space in mediocre players.
  3. It also frees up time for a big man rotation of Bagley, Giles, Koufos, & Bjelica. That will allow us to give plenty of minutes to Bagley & Giles for development while also showcasing Koufos & Bjelica to other competitive teams that may want to give up something of value to get one.
  4. Moving Jackson would (hopefully) result in Gabriel getting a shot at SF.
  5. We'd treat Porter Jr. as our 2019 draft pick considering he's redshirting and the fact that we don't own our 2019 pick.

At this point, I'd be willing to use Cauley-Stien, Labissiere, Jackson as assets to get my hands on Porter Jr.

Pros would be:
  1. Allows us to cash in on these guys so we don't bleed value
  2. Prevents us from paying someone like Cauley-Stein big money when we're not even close to competing. We need our stars established before we start locking up our cap space in mediocre players.
  3. It also frees up time for a big man rotation of Bagley, Giles, Koufos, & Bjelica. That will allow us to give plenty of minutes to Bagley & Giles for development while also showcasing Koufos & Bjelica to other competitive teams that may want to give up something of value to get one.
  4. Moving Jackson would (hopefully) result in Gabriel getting a shot at SF.
  5. We'd treat Porter Jr. as our 2019 draft pick considering he's redshirting and the fact that we don't own our 2019 pick.
That would be great but why would DEN do that? Wait I’m thinking you mean Otto. I think that’s more feasible, but would require is taking on a bad contract....which I wouldn’t be opposed to

Stat of the night:

FTs attempted - Kings - 28, Lakers - 55

Fouls - Kings - 44, Lakers - 24

I think someone forgot to tell the refs that it is only preseason.
Watching the game it doesn’t feel the ref is totally unfair, except the Kuzma tip in over the back of Gabriel. The D-leaguer of 4th quarter lineup did give up a lot of unnecessary fouls and got blown by every single time, neither Giles and Bagley did a good job in helping from the weak side.

I never once said Bagley was a bust never I said taking him over Doncic was a mistake
Id like to confirm what you saying as true, that you never called bagley a bust. this "63" fellow is trolling you here.

There is a lot of anxiety revolving around the Bagley pick for very obvious reasons. I persoally think that it is an interesting topic. This pick (bagley) was and will be monumentally important to the future success of the kings for next 5 plus years.

There is no reason why it should be taboo to "weigh in" with your thoughts on if its working out or not and why you think that. I for one enjoy reading those posts and want to encourage you to continue to speak your mind and other like you not be shouted down by ppl that dont like to read anythung they view negative.

Bagley regardless of if he will ever be good enough seems to always put himself in a position to succeed with effort and good natural instincts, does not seem afraid of the moment if he ever develops the skills that kind of mind set is lethal. There were a couple times he had good seals but no one saw and I really think Bjelica will help in this regard with his ability to see over people on the wing and his high IQ will help Bagley. Loved what I saw from Fox/Giles

Well we all saw that we have a star in the making in Fox.
The other thing I loved was that they let Bagley play something like 31 minutes last night. He had a chance to just play and take what came to him.

What I saw with Bagley are things that he will amaze us with after he works on things in the long term.

He took a couple of long jump shots that looked good but just did not fall and that will come with work.

He stood around a lot on teammates shots when he was just a few feet away from contesting for offensive rebounds. at least he did not foul out and when he gets more confidence he will be very good down low.

And lastly as he gains strength and some moves to the right I see a player who has a very high ceiling.

Bagley won't get 19/10 every night his rookie year and that is ok. The important takeaway for me is that his stats came easy just like in college. He didn't need to take a ton of tough shots. He just seems to have a knack for being in the right place and then takes a quick spin, step or jump and he's at the rim for the score. When/if he develops a more sophisticated offensive game, then you really have the makings of something special.

Cauley Stein needs to stop ball watching, and insert himself on defense more. He should be leading the young-bucks by example.

I hope Giles stays healthy. He has the talent to start, but I think the staff will keep his minutes down and let him work his conditioning and balance in. Joerger can actually bring both Bagley and Giles off the bench for energy play.

I am optimistic the Kings will be better than 2nd to last this season. When bigs hustle, good things happen. Now, more FT practicing. 80%!
Going to be hard to keep Giles on the bench when he is hands down already our best big and it isn’t close. WCS doesn’t have Giles passing or shooting ability (which extends to 3). Skal can’t defend or rebound like Giles.

Id like to confirm what you saying as true, that you never called bagley a bust. this "63" fellow is trolling you here.

There is a lot of anxiety revolving around the Bagley pick for very obvious reasons. I persoally think that it is an interesting topic. This pick (bagley) was and will be monumentally important to the future success of the kings for next 5 plus years.

There is no reason why it should be taboo to "weigh in" with your thoughts on if its working out or not and why you think that. I for one enjoy reading those posts and want to encourage you to continue to speak your mind and other like you not be shouted down by ppl that dont like to read anythung they view negative.
Being critical is fine. Lord knows I can be but it should be someone balanced or your point is lost. Those certain Doncic will be better than Bagley have no basis for such certainty. Does Bagley have a lot to work on offensively? Absolutely! But he also has immense physical gifts that could (and I stress could) carry him far. We just won’t know for a couple years.

Lol let’s not act like he was there creating points I don’t see him as a top 2 option he’ll be a good defender though. Great energy and will finish well not what I’d call a top 2 pick but I also never called him a bust.

We need some damn shooting to free Bagley/Giles
Some one said this earlier but how do you get we need shooting when we shot over 40% from 3 two games in a row. And that 40% was without Yogi, Bogi or Beli getting any minutes.

Sometimes I have no clue how you form your opinions.

Some one said this earlier but how do you get we need shooting when we shot over 40% from 3 two games in a row. And that 40% was without Yogi, Bogi or Beli getting any minutes.

Sometimes I have no clue how you form your opinions.
It’s 2 games, we only have Bogdan, Buddy, Ben (somewhat), Yogi, and Bjlecia as shooters.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Fell asleep in the 4th Q
The amount of fouls was unwatcheable
Was pleased that there wasn’t a mention of Doncic through the first dozen pages or so.

What was the coaches plan with Fox off the floor?
It seemed many times we had all our players out there and just waited for someone to try and drive and that’s kinda ok if you can pass out of it instead of that player driving into a double or triple team.

And about Ben’s play? To me at least last night he seems to me that I noticed he was involved while he was on the floor and I liked that.
If he can accept a backup role and come off the bench and give us a little offense and solid defense we may have to keep him. But I need to see that constantly in more than one game.

Bagley won't get 19/10 every night his rookie year and that is ok. The important takeaway for me is that his stats came easy just like in college. He didn't need to take a ton of tough shots. He just seems to have a knack for being in the right place and then takes a quick spin, step or jump and he's at the rim for the score. When/if he develops a more sophisticated offensive game, then you really have the makings of something special.
He would’ve had 30 tonight if he could use his right hand.

What's scary to me is the announcers keep talking about how the NBA refs are cracking down on this and that this year so expect to see more whistles.

Seriously? As if that makes a better experience for the fans? We had Bagley, Giles and Gabriel in there in the 4th and I could not wait for the game to end because it was unwatchable at that point thanks to the refs. They made for a horrible viewing experience at the end there. No idea what the NBA is thinking. Lakers with 55 free throws??? We want less free throws, not more.

they are trying to alter behaviour I believe. They are saying we are going to call these certain types of contact as fouls and to show you how serious we are we are going to call it every single time. The hope, I'm assuming, is that everyone gets a message and alters their behaviour to not include those particular types of contact, which then results in a more free flowing game and a better viewer experience

What's scary to me is the announcers keep talking about how the NBA refs are cracking down on this and that this year so expect to see more whistles.

Seriously? As if that makes a better experience for the fans? We had Bagley, Giles and Gabriel in there in the 4th and I could not wait for the game to end because it was unwatchable at that point thanks to the refs. They made for a horrible viewing experience at the end there. No idea what the NBA is thinking. Lakers with 55 free throws??? We want less free throws, not more.
The Philadelphia Dallas game I just watched was exactly the same can’t breathe on players off the ball. All in the sake of eliminating defense for video game scoring numbers, smh.