[Game] Kings @ Grizzlies - Friday, April 6 - 5 PT

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the zealots saying, "Well, I enjoy all wins. Even those by a 20 something win team against a devastated squad. But, I certainly don't enjoy people throwing math and probabilities in my face saying wins can be bad. So, I'm happy next year we don't have a draft pick. That's going to improve the discourse around here. We're all going to be on the same page."

I would say ... wake up and smell the coffee.

The Kings suck. The Kings suck for several years. When an NBA team sucks, NBA fans and NBA media find and sell hope. For a team like the Kings without a ton of assets to trade and with free agency to NBA Siberia not really an option, the draft is the primary beacon of hope.

The Kings are going to be bad again next year. Except, in November 2018, the team will be bad and the Kings next hight draft pick will be almost 2 years away. Some fans and media will vaguely imply the players will get better and hope for a 2019 free agency bonanza. That narrative isn't going to be super effective, because this is the Sacramento Kings and fans know how free agency works here.

Instead, fans and the media are going to hype and over hype our prospects. Not just general we have a lot of kids hype. Specific player hype will be the primary medicine. "It's OK that we're bad now, because player X is going to play like player Y in a few years." Nobody is going to debate whether a victory over the Suns was a Woss. But, I anticipate some testy exchanges regarding prospects that are being overhyped.

Being bad without a draft pick to soften the blow and give hope is a rough ride. I think some fans trying to find a bright side to not having one are kidding themselves.
Yes there are people who would rather be objectively worse off next year as you illustrate, than have negativity constantly hammered into their head - guys bemoaning every win throughout the year on the game threads for another whole season.

Maybe that's an indictment of their pollyanna mentality / naivety... or maybe it is an indictment of what a horrible mushroom cloud of darkness the Carmichael Dave chinese water torture tank obsession has grown into. It is such an unpleasant perspective that some people will hope for ANYTHING else, including a year without a first rounder for armchair gm wizards to obsess on. I will enjoy having the condescending guys who think everyone else doesn't understand probability... give it a rest - for once.

I say that as a person who has evolved perspective over the past year myself: I am going to enjoy NBA basketball and go to games and root for my hometown Kings, without a clear plan of action to become a contender in X years. I'm not going to hold my fun hostage to whether Vivek and Vlade can outsmart the Hinkies of the world. I think being grumpy over the lack of a clear plan to be a contender in X years is a choice.. and I don't choose it. There is a much better chance of the Kings becoming a .500+ team that nobody can take lightly, that nobody wants in the first round, who are tough as hell to beat at home... than a magical contender built through losing on purpose for 5 years so maybe Carmichael Dave can enjoy his parade and cut off his pinkie.

Sure when I saw the Kings won vs Grizzlies I said "darn" when I saw the score. I get it - a tie for 4-6 would be better than 6... a lotto break would be better than 6... Ayton/Doncic would be better than Bridges/Bamba. But I don't have to flog myself over it or remind myself and others that wins are bad ... CONSTANTLY.... that seems crazy to me.

I think the tank guys are the zealots.

Yes there are people who would rather be objectively worse off next year as you illustrate, than have negativity constantly hammered into their head - guys bemoaning every win throughout the year on the game threads for another whole season.

Maybe that's an indictment of their pollyanna mentality / naivety... or maybe it is an indictment of what a horrible mushroom cloud of darkness the Carmichael Dave chinese water torture tank obsession has grown into. It is such an unpleasant perspective that some people will hope for ANYTHING else, including a year without a first rounder for armchair gm wizards to obsess on. I will enjoy having the condescending guys who think everyone else doesn't understand probability... give it a rest - for once.

I say that as a person who has evolved perspective over the past year myself: I am going to enjoy NBA basketball and go to games and root for my hometown Kings, without a clear plan of action to become a contender in X years. I'm not going to hold my fun hostage to whether Vivek and Vlade can outsmart the Hinkies of the world. I think being grumpy over the lack of a clear plan to be a contender in X years is a choice.. and I don't choose it. There is a much better chance of the Kings becoming a .500+ team that nobody can take lightly, that nobody wants in the first round, who are tough as hell to beat at home... than a magical contender built through losing on purpose for 5 years so maybe Carmichael Dave can enjoy his parade and cut off his pinkie.

Sure when I saw the Kings won vs Grizzlies I said "darn" when I saw the score. I get it - a tie for 4-6 would be better than 6... a lotto break would be better than 6... Ayton/Doncic would be better than Bridges/Bamba. But I don't have to flog myself over it or remind myself and others that wins are bad ... CONSTANTLY.... that seems crazy to me.

I think there would have been less complaining if the Kings would have stomped the Grizz by 20 points. Instead, they almost lost to one of the worst NBA rosters I've ever seen and then they barely eeked out a win in the end to worsen their draft odds.

To many it's like alright so all of our "assets" can barely compete with teams that field G League scrubs. Not only are their G League scrubs equal to our roster full of first round picks, but now they also get better draft odds on top of that.

Either play well and win or don't play well and lose. But playing like crap and winning is about the most KANGZ thing this team could do because not only do they suck but now they upped their odds of sucking even further.

Whether you're positive about the season or not, you can see why so many people would be mad about a game like this. I bet you 2/3 of the negative comments would have never even have been posted if the Kings would have just gone out there and won by 20 because then we could at least be rest assured that the team is obviously better than your average G League team.

I think there would have been less complaining if the Kings would have stomped the Grizz by 20 points. Instead, they almost lost to one of the worst NBA rosters I've ever seen and then they barely eeked out a win in the end to worsen their draft odds.

To many it's like alright so all of our "assets" can barely compete with teams that field G League scrubs. Not only are their G League scrubs equal to our roster full of first round picks, but now they also get better draft odds on top of that.

Either play well and win or don't play well and lose. But playing like crap and winning is about the most KANGZ thing this team could do because not only do they suck but now they upped their odds of sucking even further.

Whether you're positive about the season or not, you can see why so many people would be mad about a game like this. I bet you 2/3 of the negative comments would have never even have been posted if the Kings would have just gone out there and won by 20 because then we could at least be rest assured that the team is obviously better than your average G League team.
This team is obviously gassed imo. I do think a fresh legged d-leage squad can give em a tough run. How many weeks in a row has Bogi played basketball? It isn't healthy.

To me, it’s not the points it’s how they played....

23 assists and 15 turnovers is not quality basketball or a winning culture. Especially when your two young point guards combine for only 5 assists and 6 turnovers!!

We defensively couldn’t stop G Leaguers and only won because Ben McLemore ( our pick at 7) was a -18 in plus minus. We just have to stop drafting athletic low IQ players.

I actually think the extremes on either side are the zeolotes. That goes for most anything in life. Moderation. Will next year be the first year in forever that half or more of the team won't be turned over?

I'm not so sure about the less complaining.

I can't wait for this season to be over because it's a drag to be so conflicted. It's completely natural to want the team to win. But the circumstances being what they are makes it beneficial to lose. As a fan that wants the team to be in position to draft the best talent possible so they can build upon what they have and finally break this neverending playoff drought, it's hard not to root for them to lose. I really hate this time of season!

Last night sucked because, once the game was in doubt, it would have been beneficial to lose it to ensure bottom 6 and possibly even get to 5 -- especially since there's good chance the team wins at least one more game. Houston isn't likely to play their stars the entire game even if they do play AND the Kings are at home to boot. 27 wins might drop lottery odds significantly.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at the young kids for playing hard and playing to win. That's what they should be doing. I just shake my head because those clutch shots don't seem to happen near as often when the games actually mean something. Early in the season, they rarely win games like last night. It's always late in the season when many opponentns don't care anymore and/or aren't fielding legit lineups.

This team is obviously gassed imo. I do think a fresh legged d-leage squad can give em a tough run. How many weeks in a row has Bogi played basketball? It isn't healthy.
Bogi has an excuse to be gassed. None of these other guys do. No one on this team has played a ton of minutes this year. They've been evenly distributed all year.

I'm not buying that our team of young players that have played conservative minutes are gassed. There's a bunch of other teams out there that are destroying these G League level teams and they're well on their way to the playoffs. Why aren't they gassed?

Lack of talent is the problem here.

Bogi has an excuse to be gassed. None of these other guys do. No one on this team has played a ton of minutes this year. They've been evenly distributed all year.

I'm not buying that our team of young players that have played conservative minutes are gassed. There's a bunch of other teams out there that are destroying these G League level teams and they're well on their way to the playoffs. Why aren't they gassed?

I dont think its a lack of talent.... I think some of the rookies have hit the wall and face it the team knows they are trying to lose. Its hard to get motivated to beat the crap of G League team. Ever heard of playing down to your competition? Many of these G League players are playing for the their basketball lives. The team is going in a good direction its just going to take time.

I dont think its a lack of talent.... I think some of the rookies have hit the wall and face it the team knows they are trying to lose. Its hard to get motivated to beat the crap of G League team. Ever heard of playing down to your competition? Many of these G League players are playing for the their basketball lives. The team is going in a good direction its just going to take time.
We've been making these exact same excuses for the Kings for a decade now. All I know is that if I was a struggling rookie and didn't even know if I had a place in this league and here walks in a bunch of scrubs from Memphis, I would be eating their lunch. None of these young guys other than Bogie or Hield have a place in this league at the moment so you would think they would be looking to smash a bunch of G Leaguers.

If you aren't even a good player and you're playing down to a lower level of competition, what does that say about your competitive spirit? To me, it means you either need a kick in the ass or you need to go.

don't buy it - fine.

We've been making these exact same excuses for the Kings for a decade now. All I know is that if I was a struggling rookie and didn't even know if I had a place in this league and here walks in a bunch of scrubs from Memphis, I would be eating their lunch. None of these young guys other than Bogie or Hield have a place in this league at the moment so you would think they would be looking to smash a bunch of G Leaguers.

If you aren't even a good player and you're playing down to a lower level of competition, what does that say about your competitive spirit? To me, it means you either need a kick in the ass or you need to go.
don't make excuses - fine. they suck, they're horrible, you would do better.

So they are a tired group of early 20 something year old players that already know they are going to be good in the future so they don't see the need to play hard and beat down teams full of scrubs that can't even make it in this league?

If excuses like that help give you more hope for the future of the team, that's your prerogative. I'm going to stay firmly planted in reality. If those excuses that we have used over and over were true, there would have been at least one year in the last decade where maybe the Kings would have not been so damn tired and not played up and down to their competition enough to make the playoffs. You would think at some point during the last 10 years that they would have stopped being tired, right? At some point they would have been capable of beating up on bad teams, right?

None of that happens because they aren't talented enough and they aren't talented enough because the Kings haven't drafted a player worth a damn since 2011.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at the young kids for playing hard and playing to win. That's what they should be doing. I just shake my head because those clutch shots don't seem to happen near as often when the games actually mean something. Early in the season, they rarely win games like last night. It's always late in the season when many opponentns don't care anymore and/or aren't fielding legit lineups.
Isn't that an indication they are, in fact, getting better? Starting to know each other and know what they're doing? They make mistakes, they do stupid stuff, but THEY NEVER GIVE UP. And it's starting to pay off.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

That's simply not true. But if you want to think it is, more power to you. Have a good day.

Isn't that an indication they are, in fact, getting better? Starting to know each other and know what they're doing? They make mistakes, they do stupid stuff, but THEY NEVER GIVE UP. And it's starting to pay off.
Valid point, but part of it is also due to the fact that they aren't facing the opponents A lineup on many nights this time of year -- specifically teams that have been eliminated from playoff contention. Take last night game as an example -- no Gasol or Conley among others.

But I do agree with you that they getting better in some regards and gaining confidence.

I’m really looking forward to next year. No draft pick....... this team will be playing to win every night.
Disturbing win. Kings barely beat a G league team by 1 point. If the Kids won this convincingly, I would not take issue with it.

Kings hurt themselves in draft positioning and in the win proves nothing.

THE NBA is a star driven league. You will not sniff the playoffs unless you have at least 1 ALL Star. Only exceptions are Indiana and Miami(Both teams have better coaches and better defensive and offensive philosophy)

Great Free agents will not be interested in Sac(Unless, it's for leverage)
The Draft is the only hope that this team takes the next step.

Wins like last night are pointless.

The Sixers have now officially shut all the naysayers up.

I agree with you: The team will be playing to win every night. Problem is, they don't have the talent to win on most nights..
West is tough and will not be getting any easier.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Valid point, but part of it is also due to the fact that they aren't facing the opponents A lineup on many nights this time of year -- specifically teams that have been eliminated from playoff contention. Take last night game as an example -- no Gasol or Conley among others.

But I do agree with you that they getting better in some regards and gaining confidence.
Fair point. Baby steps. At least they're heading in the right direction.

Kings hurt themselves in draft positioning and in the win proves nothing.

Wins like last night are pointless.
While I don't disagree, it's a sad state of affairs for the NBA. They really need to find a way to prevent the incentive to lose games. While there may never be a 'perfect' solution that satisfies ALL, any solution that eliminates the incentive is better than what's going on now.

A work colleague and I came up with an interesting concept a couple days ago that could be loads of fun.

The Sixers have now officially shut all the naysayers up.
I somewhat disagree with this. As I heard someone point out on the radio the other day, are the years of absolutely horrid basketball and d-league lineups really worth a 4th seed? They might end up 3rd and might advance further than previously anticipated due to Kyrie's injury, but there's really no guarantee the 6ers will have staying power due to injury history of their current core of players. And if another team tries to replicate what they've done there's no guarantee they'll land the right players.

So, again, is 3-5 years of complete tankage really worth it? Some might say yes, but I don't think the 6ers process has in any way shut the naysayers up.

I've tried to steer clear of the tired tanking debate, but I can't help myself -- if you believe "beating what is essentially a d-league team is a meaningless win," do you think the Kings should be losing to what is an essentially d-league team?

So they are a tired group of early 20 something year old players that already know they are going to be good in the future so they don't see the need to play hard and beat down teams full of scrubs that can't even make it in this league?

If excuses like that help give you more hope for the future of the team, that's your prerogative. I'm going to stay firmly planted in reality. If those excuses that we have used over and over were true, there would have been at least one year in the last decade where maybe the Kings would have not been so damn tired and not played up and down to their competition enough to make the playoffs. You would think at some point during the last 10 years that they would have stopped being tired, right? At some point they would have been capable of beating up on bad teams, right?

None of that happens because they aren't talented enough and they aren't talented enough because the Kings haven't drafted a player worth a damn since 2011.
Where do you get off thinking that you own reality by seeing the worst in everyone? Do you not realize what that says about you?

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
I've tried to steer clear of the tired tanking debate, but I can't help myself -- if you believe "beating what is essentially a d-league team is a meaningless win," do you think the Kings should be losing to what is an essentially d-league team?
I think it means about as much as an exhibition game. Which is to say that the team that tries harder is going to win but either way the outcome has very little to do with competitive basketball. The real takeaway here is that the current system is so screwed up that the outcome of a glorified exhibition game is going to matter for seedings in the draft. I'm not talking about ping pong balls because the odds are always against winning the lotto. I'm talking about after the top 3 picks are decided the rest fall in line in order of record and falling in line at #4 means you get a real competitive advantage over 2 other teams that you don't have at #6. That could come in the form of trade opportunities or it could come in the form of the prospect ranked #1 on our board going 1 spot before us. Obviously we all want our young players to play well, it would be incorrect to assume otherwise. But if they're not even going to defend you, how is that helping anyone to get better against the good teams that are actually trying to win?

If you look at how championships are distributed in the NBA throughout the draft lotto era I think you could make the argument that the system has never worked. The same small group of teams is winning almost every year. The NBA is experiencing an awakening of statistical analysis controlled decision making at every level which renders the strange reluctance to change a system which is so obviously faulty all the more baffling. All Star players of yesteryear barely even recognize this as the same game. Why the sudden conservatism about revising the draft system? We'll see how next year's changes alter things but it's still record based and it's still random chance so I doubt it will really matter. A top to bottom rethink would be more appropriate.

Since nobody posted here since 9:47 I guess it’s OK for me to add two bits to the pot.

I enjoyed the game tonight. I’ve enjoyed most of the games this season. I have enjoyed each season since they got here. I put money where my mouth is, I’ve bought season tickets for all the years.

Next year will be another good one and enjoyable for me. Can you imagine all the great games and great players I have enjoyed. Absolutely amazing. Come join me and buy some tickets. TV is great but live is better.

Where do you get off thinking that you own reality by seeing the worst in everyone? Do you not realize what that says about you?
It's reality because we've gone through dozens of players and a half a dozen coaches and still use the same excuses for why the team is bad. You would think at some point the players would stop losing games because they're tired or playing down to their competition. The reason why is because they aren't talented enough to win basketball games on a regular basis. It has nothing to do with any armchair psychology about myself and everything to do with people making excuses for the lack of talent we have.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
It's reality because we've gone through dozens of players and a half a dozen coaches and still use the same excuses for why the team is bad. You would think at some point the players would stop losing games because they're tired or playing down to their competition. The reason why is because they aren't talented enough to win basketball games on a regular basis. It has nothing to do with any armchair psychology about myself and everything to do with people making excuses for the lack of talent we have.
Your definition of reality is artificially narrow. Fans who choose to see the positive side of what's happening, despite everything, are also living in reality, and it's playing the "I'm not touching you!" game with the line between offensive and non-offensive for you to suggest otherwise. I am, informally, asking you to please stop doing that.

Since we're over policing a silly argument, just go back and remove the word "reality" from my posts so no one here gets offended. Or you can just censor the entire posts so it seems like everyone unanimously agrees that the Kings are going places. Apparently they're just tired at the moment and don't feel the need to play hard against lesser opponents like the Grizzlies.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I feel like it takes a particularly strong persecution complex to feel like being asked not to harass other posters is anything like "over policing" but, whatever. I mean, if you want to accuse me of being too pedantic, I'll bee dat, but that's not really 'over policing,' either. I am not going to edit your posts to remove the word 'reality'. I am, however, going to ask you again to stop using it.

The truth is that you're not breaking news, nor are you revealing the secrets of the universe: you're not talking to a bunch of people who don't know that pro wrasslin' is staged, or that the Easter Bunny isn't real. You're not telling these people anything that they don't already know, and for some of them to be like, "Okay, cool; I'm going to cheer, anyway" is not a function of not living in reality. It's a conscious choice that some fans make of, "Alright, this is the reality we find ourselves in. Rather than dwell on the negatives, I'm going to look for things in this to feel good about, wherever I can find them, because the alternative is to be mad about **** that I can't change, anyhow."

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
The truth is that you're not breaking news, nor are you revealing the secrets of the universe: you're not talking to a bunch of people who don't know that pro wrasslin' is staged, or that the Easter Bunny isn't real. You're not telling these people anything that they don't already know, and for some of them to be like, "Okay, cool; I'm going to cheer, anyway" is not a function of not living in reality. It's a conscious choice that some fans make of, "Alright, this is the reality we find ourselves in. Rather than dwell on the negatives, I'm going to look for things in this to feel good about, wherever I can find them, because the alternative is to be mad about **** that I can't change, anyhow."
Exactly. Well said.

I feel like it takes a particularly strong persecution complex to feel like being asked not to harass other posters is anything like "over policing" but, whatever. I mean, if you want to accuse me of being too pedantic, I'll bee dat, but that's not really 'over policing,' either. I am not going to edit your posts to remove the word 'reality'. I am, however, going to ask you again to stop using it.

"Look at Buddy go after those rebounds!"
"Dave Joerger is one of the best at play calling coming out of a timeout."
"Bogi is an amazing ball handler with the ability to move through the opposing team and find some open space to make a shot or pass."
"DeAaron has the uncanny ability to rise up at the end of a game and make a winning shot."

And on and on and on:) Its not all bad, man.

Status
Not open for further replies.