Kings Front Runners for Nate?

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/60172/20090629/lakers_kings_front_runners_to_land_nate/
RealGM said:
The Lakers and Kings appear to be the front runners to land guard Nate Robinson, a restricted free agent of the Knicks.

Sacramento was reportedly close to swinging a deal that involved Robinson and Jared Jeffries at February's trading deadline, but talks between the Kings and Knicks fell through.

It's possible that the two teams could rekindle talks this summer.

The Lakers was rumored to have inquired about Robinson after he scored 33 points at the Staples Center in December, and both Kobe Bryant and Jerry Buss gushed about the guard after the mid-December game.
Pretty surprising since the Kings are already dumped with many point guards. I wonder what GP is actually planning to do with all the point guards the Kings might have.

Yeah, can't see this happening with Evans/Rodriguez coming on board. Petrie says he's going to focus on finding size in the trade/free agency period, I believe him.

Well another way to get that size is via trade 2 or 3 of Beno/Noc/Kenny could be gone.

Petrie's had a man-crush on N8 since he was draft, he just missed out on him. He still sees something there, I guess, haven't figured out what? Bricked dunks maybe?

I like Nate Robinson, and although RealGM has just as much credibility as I do when it comes to trades, I wouldn't mind if for once, this was true.

Entity

Hall of Famer
Yeah, can't see this happening with Evans/Rodriguez coming on board. Petrie says he's going to focus on finding size in the trade/free agency period, I believe him.
Sorry nbrans. But did he actually say that? Because like you if he said that then I believe him as well as he usually says nothing.

Gotta love bad reporting. Why are the Kings "frontrunners"? Because they discussed it near the trade deadline last season, and MIGHT start talking again this season. This is baseless. The Kings have Evans, Sergio, and Beno under contract. They aren't going to sign Nate in free agency. This story has no legs.

I've never understood the dislike for Nate. I think he's a really good combo spark plug guard off the bench. He does a lot of everything for a little guy and scoring happens to be his strength which is something I think is valuable for 6th man type players. I know we have 3 pt guards under contract and he might be demanding more money than he deserves and at this point it's probably not a good idea to go after him but in the right circumstances I would love to have him on the team. Well that's just me I guess

I've never understood the dislike for Nate. I think he's a really good combo spark plug guard off the bench. He does a lot of everything for a little guy and scoring happens to be his strength which is something I think is valuable for 6th man type players. I know we have 3 pt guards under contract and he might be demanding more money than he deserves and at this point it's probably not a good idea to go after him but in the right circumstances I would love to have him on the team. Well that's just me I guess

QFT....Nate really would be a good addition if we could just get rid of Beno, we would have a very pretty frontcourt.

The Lakers and Kings appear to be the front runners to land guard Nate Robinson, a restricted free agent of the Knicks.

Lakers and Kings? Two teams who aren't willing to give up more than bad contracts and bench players? If they're the front runners then there isn't going to be a trade.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Lakers and Kings? Two teams who aren't willing to give up more than bad contracts and bench players? If they're the front runners then there isn't going to be a trade.
Well the key to that situation is that the Knicks may not be able to afford to keep Nate because they need his capspace to throw money at big free agents next season.

But with us still being beneath the cap...just not sure by how much at this point, but we may not need to trade with NY at all. All Nate being a restricted guy means is that NY gets to match an offer made to him -- but that's the very thing they may not be able to do if they want to preserve capspace. And if we still have the cap room to flat out make an offer to him greater than the MLE, then we wouldn't have to actually trade with NY at all, although I am sure they would still like to do an S&Tto get some little bits of candy from us.

That's beside the point. You said no thank you. I said not even for Beno. Has nothing to do with what NY is interested in. So I guess you then wouldn't do it.
So basically you are saying that the realistic scenario is irrelevant and the only thing that matters are pipe dreams? NY isn't going to take Beno's deal in a sign-and-trade, so there's no point in putting any merit in that scenario. It's not going to happen.

So basically you are saying that the realistic scenario is irrelevant and the only thing that matters are pipe dreams? NY isn't going to take Beno's deal in a sign-and-trade, so there's no point in putting any merit in that scenario. It's not going to happen.
Then you might as well delete this forum.

If we can get him by swapping for Beno, then its great.

I always liked Nate's game. He is a very tough player, probably tougher than most guys in the league and they are all bigger than him.

With the additional of Evans, Casspi & Brockman already, imagine how much tougher our team will be with Nate. He is also a very good spark off the bench and instant offense. I rather have Nate off the bench than beno off the bench.

A

AriesMar27

with beno, sergio and evans why would we want to trade or sign nate? if we didnt trade for sergio i could understand going after him, if everyone didnt want evans to be our starting pg i could see us going after him.... but in our current situation why would we go after a 5'8 shoot first pg?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sacramento was reportedly close to swinging a deal that involved Robinson and Jared Jeffries at February's trading deadline, but talks between the Kings and Knicks fell through.
Um, what? I'm sorry but bringing up a rumor that wasn't that popular back in February to try and justify a new rumor that's just ludicrous doesn't impress me. Unless Nate has grown at least 10-12 inches in height since the last time I saw him, I'm not interested. We've got a back court, or at least one in progress. I want to see more help at the 4 and 5, thank you very much.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Gotta love the way the pertinent parts of the article - orginally from www.newsday.com BTW - were changed around at realGM. Here's what the writer - a blogger for the KNICKS - actually said:

Robinson won’t command nearly as much in salary, but his popularity as an electrifying 5-9 guard and two-time Slam Dunk champion could be valuable as an attraction in some small markets. According to one league source, the Lakers inquired about Robinson’s availability after his 33-point performance at the Staples Center on Dec. 16. Kobe Bryant has expressed adoration for Robinson and owner Jerry Buss was said to be smitten after that game. The Sacramento Kings also were close to a deal for Robinson and Jeffries before the trade deadline and there are indications that the deal could still take place this summer.

Robinson had a breakthrough season statistically – career-high 17.2 points per game – but his ball-dominating, one-on-one mentality does not fit well in Mike D’Antoni’s system. The Knicks drafted a rugged point guard, Toney Douglas, the 29th overall pick on Thursday and are also in the market for a starting point guard with the plan to move Chris Duhon to a backup role this season.
Notice two things:

1. The mention of the Kings was more like an after-thought.

2. The bolded part.

The Kings do not want or need anyone with a "ball-hogging one-on-one mentality." Been there, done that - and I know I've got the t-shirt around here somewhere.

:rolleyes:

he's better and more fun to watch than Beno. If we could move Beno I'd be all for it. As long as we're bringing him in more as a 6th man, back up point I think it could work out. He would put some butts in the seats as well.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
he's better and more fun to watch than Beno. If we could move Beno I'd be all for it. As long as we're bringing him in more as a 6th man, back up point I think it could work out. He would put some butts in the seats as well.
I wouldn't pay a plug nickel to watch Nate play. I don't like his size and I don't like his game. So he wouldn't put my butt in the seat.

I wouldn't pay a plug nickel to watch Nate play. I don't like his size and I don't like his game. So he wouldn't put my butt in the seat.
You are telling me a 5'9 2 time dunk champion wouldn't put your but in a seat :eek:

But he surely would put mine in a seat.....I would be estactic if we got Nate I dont care if we still had Beno (would be better if we didn't but beggers can't be choosers :p) let him be Kenny Thomas V2

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You are telling me a 5'9 2 time dunk champion wouldn't put your but in a seat :eek:

But he surely would put mine in a seat.....I would be estactic if we got Nate I dont care if we still had Beno (would be better if we didn't but beggers can't be choosers :p) let him be Kenny Thomas V2
People who can dunk are a dime a dozen and the dunk championship is becoming more and more like the WWE but without the drama. I would not drive down to Arco to see someone take a gazillion attempts at a ridiculous circus shot...unless he was wearing a Harlem Globetrotters jersey.

Not everyone thinks the ultimate feat in basketball is to be a short guy who dunks. I'd rather watch a TEAM come together and play a good solid game of basketball than watch some guy in a cutesy costume do an act better suited for the old time Gong Show.