[Game] Kings vs. Suns, 12/27/20 6PM PST, 9PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bench got destroyed and the Kings didn’t get a big game from any of their starters

Stretch In the third with turnovers and second chance opportunities for the Suns broke the Kings back.

Fox was tired. Rushed out of rhythm shots on fast breaks, and lost his body control sometime in the second quarter. Hopefully that’s just a result of it being the only real back to back to this point. Booker and Paul were a little slow too but Bridges and their bench had a lot of energy,

Whiteside and Bjeli seemed slow too.

Haliburton had the best game for the Kings.
As well he should be. He carried the team on both ends in a way most players wouldn't even attempt nor be able to pull off or a full game and half on a back to back.

I won’t lose sleep over this one but plenty to work on going forward.

-we will have to figure out how to use our energy right with the schedule being what it is this year.

-Bagley needs a lot of work. I had him pegged for a big game tonight but he looked gassed. His defensive awareness was poor and he wasn’t aggressive for rebounds. He seems frustrated with his role in the offense and Luke is going to have to find a way to get him rollin.

-Tyrese is improving every game. It’s really insane how quickly he learns.

-I know he has hardly played but I want to give Guy a look when we go into an offensive lull. His quick release is deadly and I think he could be someone who provides a spark even if he only plays 10 min a game.

I don't think it can go unsaid here that it is hard to beat the same team back to back games without a day off in between, quick adjustments are made and players don't want to get swept.
We'll see. The back to back certainly compounded the issues but what we likely saw tonight was the Kings expose themselves as a completely energy based close out defensive team (and better than most I must say) that platoons role players in to conserve energy. Too many teams out there do what the Suns did offensively tonight and much, much better than they considering the Suns are still trying to find their own identity.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
We'll see. The back to back certainly compounded the issues but what we likely saw tonight was the Kings expose themselves as a completely energy based close out defensive team (and better than most I must say) that platoons role players in to conserve energy. Too many teams out there do what the Suns did offensively tonight and much, much better than they considering the Suns are still trying to find their own identity.
I don't think making that judgment based on four preseason games and three regular season games is the right assessment to make right now without a bigger sample size but it's not out the realm of possibility nonetheless

Well, early games have been weird. We’ll see what it says about the Kings start but it seems that there is some preseason mode seeping into the season

Cleveland is 3-0, just blew out Philly
LAC lost by 51 at home
Knicks just throttled a fully healthy Bucks team

Guys just look tired by mid-2nd. Gave up way too many offensive boards in the 3rd and I assume guys were tired because we had many cases of two guys standing right under the rim not even moving to try to get the rebound (Bagley I'm looking at you).

Fox looked great to start the game and then just looked like a complete scrub the rest of the way. Buddy was looking like our best player arguably on both ends of the floor till mid-3rd when everyone else was sucking so bad that he was forced to try to be Kobe, and it went downhill from there. I'm also concerned about the kinds of looks that Buddy is getting, because his release isn't looking consistent (as opposed to when he's set). He got wide open a handful of times but guys missed him.

I am just not impressed with Bagley as a core player. The way he plays is like a big man, 2 pointer version of a 6th man chucker. It's not so much about the talent as it is that he just doesn't fit in the offense. We're having to run isolation post ups for him and once he gets the ball in the post nobody is touching it till the next possession. Once again tried taking it coast to coast predictably but didn't finish; like I said last game - teams are going to catch on to this quickly. I'm having a hard time seeing how he can coexist with Fox as our supposed best two players when both want to get inside, are shaky shooters from outside and the FT line, and aren't great facilitators of the offense.

Haliburton continues to wow. At this point I can confidently say he is better at facilitating the offense than Fox is as a point guard. He's by no means as good a player or as big a threat, but if I had to pick one to get someone else an easy look, it's Tyrese.

All that said, I was really enjoying the way the team was playing up to the mid-3rd. Wish that it would have stayed tight, but especially with all the effort we're seeing on the defensive end, let's just chalk this up to fatigue.

I don't think making that judgment based on four preseason games and three regular season games is the right assessment to make right now without a bigger sample size but it's not out the realm of possibility nonetheless
Not totally doomed yet but like I said, we saw it under another coach since the glory days. I can't remember if it was Joergers first year, Karl, or one of the other ones. Either way, this defensive scheme and short minute stint rotations to start the game is nothing new. Coaches have done it plenty of times. I can't remember it working long term for any team and especially not in the modern non-physical era. But hey, there's a first time for everything! haha.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Not totally doomed yet but like I said, we saw it under another coach since the glory days. I can't remember if it was Joergers first year, Karl, or one of the other ones. Either way, this defensive scheme and short minute stint rotations to start the game is nothing new. Coaches have done it plenty of times. I can't remember it working long term for any team and especially not in the modern non-physical era. But hey, there's a first time for everything! haha.
I remember Rick Pitino's Celtics ran MJ's Bulls off the court in their first game with a full court press and were figured out quickly enough to send him running back to the NCAA.

I hope there is more than smoke and mirrors to all of this hustle we've seen from the team but time will tell.

Conditioning killed the Kings in the third. Many shots too shorts and sloppy passes around past mid third. I would say this is expected with the pace we are playing. Walton should have gambled the 2nd quarter to guys like Guy, Parker, and Woodard.

But anyway, team got a gauge of their conditioning now.
Over the last 3 games, I'm personally impressed with Tyrese. Calm, steady, and smart. He's like a vet backup PG already.
This improved Buddy seemed way stronger if not bigger than last season. Those big man switches on him never really pushed him out of position on defense.

Watching us play and thinking about future roster construction, it really pisses me off that we lost DiVincenzo. He would be ideal in the 4th guard spot, long term, instead of CoJo. Hard-nosed, plays both ends, more offense than CoJo, and way younger. If we are going to play a lot of three guard lineups, we need a fourth guard, and would have loved the Fox, Halliburton, Buddy, DiVincenzo look.

oh well. I know that ship has sailed. Was just trying to think of who would be perfect in that role, and kept coming back to him.

I won’t lose sleep over this one but plenty to work on going forward.

-we will have to figure out how to use our energy right with the schedule being what it is this year.

-Bagley needs a lot of work. I had him pegged for a big game tonight but he looked gassed. His defensive awareness was poor and he wasn’t aggressive for rebounds. He seems frustrated with his role in the offense and Luke is going to have to find a way to get him rollin.

-Tyrese is improving every game. It’s really insane how quickly he learns.

-I know he has hardly played but I want to give Guy a look when we go into an offensive lull. His quick release is deadly and I think he could be someone who provides a spark even if he only plays 10 min a game.
I'm not really sure what can be done with Bagley though. He's not a threat from outside and he doesn't facilitate any offense for others. I am not sure how we can be expected to run the offense through him or make him a major part of the offensive game plan in general.

I'm not really sure what can be done with Bagley though. He's not a threat from outside and he doesn't facilitate any offense for others. I am not sure how we can be expected to run the offense through him or make him a major part of the offensive game plan in general.
That’s the big question. Part of the issue to me is chemistry. He doesn’t really seem to have it with any of the facilitators. That has a good chance of changing as they have more time on court together.
I’d like to see him just dominate the glass and make more of an impact on defense first. Keep getting the putbacks etc and hopefully the offense comes

Kings were out rebounded by 5 and had 14 more turnovers than the Suns. The Kings lagged in field goals attempted 94 to 76. Pretty hard to win a game when those things happen. The Kings did a pretty good job defending Paul and Booker. Johnson and Bridges shot the ball extremely well and were open a lot.

Starting up 2 wins and then 1 loss is an improvement over past seasons.

We can't really compete if buddy and fox both shoot like crap on the same night, Barnes didn't shoot well either If I remember rightly. That's our "big 3" all having a down game.

Got to be happy with the way things are going so far though. Be nice to lock up Whiteside for a bit longer don't know if that's possible.

Game ball to Haliburton, leading in assists and second in scoring. Great defender and passer. He does not turn the ball over.
The Kings got out rebounded. They played like they gave up in the second half. Not in playing shape yet on a back to back.
The Kings defense did okay on the starters, but had no answer for Johnson. Bridges had a big game.
KIngs lost this game in nearly every category.
Guy got 2 rebounds, tying him with Whiteside. Our big man does not have a big motor. He may best in short intervals on the floor.

We can't really compete if buddy and fox both shoot like crap on the same night, Barnes didn't shoot well either If I remember rightly. That's our "big 3" all having a down game.

Got to be happy with the way things are going so far though. Be nice to lock up Whiteside for a bit longer don't know if that's possible.
Barnes was 4-6; he shot fine, though he's 0-6 from 3 thru 3 games. He's not integrated into the offense at all. Spends a lot of time camped in the corner, above the 3-pt line, w/no touches, much less shots.

The first game we held them to 103 points. Last night they got 116.
We scored about the same.
Defense and rebounding win games when the shots are not falling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.