Kings free agency, part 3

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I was wondering if the Kings would absorb Hibbert's contract of 15 million and get a pick in return from the pacers. But it seems like we do not have enough for that. BTW, don't we have a trade exception from the Suns last year for the Thomas' trade? When does that come into play?
We may have used some of it last season and it expires in about 2 weeks. I thought we may have tried to use it to buy a draft pick for a team trying to clear cap space. I'm not sure it will come into play at this point, but maybe a few teams that signed a new player will need to move someone to sign a complimentary player (a la Rondo wanting Belinelli) and need to clear space for a 6-7 million dollar guy?

Entity

Hall of Famer
Lets finish this up with casspi, josh smith, dorell wright, another big like acy, cunningham, udoh and get ready for the season

Rondo,collison,mccallum
McLemore,belinelli,Anderson
Gay,casspi,wright
Smith,WCS,Acy,Moreland
Cousins,WCS,Moreland

K

KingMilz

Lets finish this up with casspi, josh smith, dorell wright, another big like acy, cunningham, udoh and get ready for the season

Rondo,collison,mccallum
McLemore,belinelli,Anderson
Gay,casspi,wright
Smith,WCS,Acy,Moreland
Cousins,WCS,Moreland
There is way to much dumb between Gay/Mclemore/Cousins and Smith, we need a smart player in either SF/PF depending where Rudy is playing.

Assuming cap jumps to $69 million, Beli is signed for $6 million with 4.5% raises and Rondo is at even $9.5 million, Kings now have $12 million in cap space to sign 1 guy, $12.5 million to spread between 2, or $13 million , if they are signing 3 non-vet minimum players with cap space, though some national writers seem to imply, that James Anderson is non-vet minimum guy. And RE of $2.8 million on top of that.
Koufos will certainly wait, until LAC situation plays out: Memphis can S&T him to LA, but Clippers will have to use Crawford and find another asset(-s) for that.
Smith doesn't fit in the starting lineup anymore, and I don't see, why he would move on from the same situation in Houston.
There are a few players, that Kings are mentioned to be in play for, but some agents might not talk, so we obviously don't know the whole picture.

P.S. Good luck to Knicks in their endeavours.

K

KingMilz

Forgive me if this has already been posted in the other thread

The Suns “Need to get off Markieff Morris/PJ Tucker in sign-and-trades or dumps to get closer to space needed for Chandler and Aldridge,” Yahoo Sports NBA Insider Adrian Wojnarowski tweeted Thursday.
If we could get both no need to re-sign Casspi and I think them together make roughly 13 million

If we could get both no need to re-sign Casspi and I think them together make roughly 13 million
Any chance we get them to add tj warren and a future top 10 protected first rounder? I think we might have a couple second round picks playing overseas we can trade in a few days. ;)

No matter what, I'd like Casspi back. He's shaping up to be one of my favorite Kings players. One of the very few who actually wants to be in Sacramento and not just for an easy overpaid paycheck. We need more solid players like that, ones that give you 100% effort and hustle on the court. A guy who appreciates Sacramento and wants to call it home.

Players like Casspi help build a strong team chemistry. We need guys like that.

How can you not want this guy back?

Maybe we should try to pick up Kyle O'Quinn to shore up to front court and Richard Jefferson to back up Rudy. Have yet to see much about them pop up.
Richard Jefferson is returning to the Mavs on a one year deal for the vet minimum. I don't know how much more a 35 year old Richard Jefferson has left anyways, but I admit I didn't watch a lot of him last season.

K

KingMilz

No matter what, I'd like Casspi back. He's shaping up to be one of my favorite Kings players. One of the very few who actually wants to be in Sacramento and not just for an easy overpaid paycheck. We need more solid players like that, ones that give you 100% effort and hustle on the court. A guy who appreciates Sacramento and wants to call it home.

Players like Casspi help build a strong team chemistry. We need guys like that.

How can you not want this guy back?
It's not that I don't want him back but I'm saying if we can get both those guys he's not really needed anymore, if you love 100% effort and hustle along with good D than Tucker will make you forget about Casspi.

I want Omri back, for all the reasons others already mentioned. I think we still need a big or 2, but now I have much more confidence we will fix the front court as well. I would also bring Miller back as our 14/15th locker room guy, sort of an assistant coach who can help the relationship between players and coaching staff.

That's probably more money than he'll fetch at this point considering how awful he's been over the past several seasons.
Well, Rondo was just as bad and got more money... Josh Smith just had a great playoff run.

Would like him as a signing, he is another "problematic" dude, but he can give you a lot of things we want- and I think he'll fit great with Karl.

Well, Rondo was just as bad and got more money... Josh Smith just had a great playoff run.

Would like him as a signing, he is another "problematic" dude, but he can give you a lot of things we want- and I think he'll fit great with Karl.
I'm all in at this point, no reason not to be. Let's pick him up and see what happens. We're gonna be entertaining if nothing else. We should be on the phone with Phoenix though in case LMA signs with them. I'm pretty sure he's going to SA though.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Josh Smith was a scary name last year, still kinda is. That Rudy/Smith all midrange jumpshot frontcourt stealing shots from the big guy...

The other thing of course is that while his teams have not always reflected it, Karl hates the midrange jumpshot and in that way is very much in line with the new analytics driven rim or three offensive theory. He talks a lot about teaching what good shots are on offense, which is to say not Josh Smith's shots. Could drive Karl up a wall.

It's not that I don't want him back but I'm saying if we can get both those guys he's not really needed anymore, if you love 100% effort and hustle along with good D than Tucker will make you forget about Casspi.
Aldridge won't join a team without any legitimate shooting SF. Tucker is not going anywhere for sure.

Well if we just get Kef I will be over the moon, Kef and Casspi would do just fine.
Do you think Koufos and Cousins can share the floor? I don't see it, would love to hear someone else's opinion about it.

I really like him as a player, but if he can't play together with Cousins I don't see him as a priority. I am more worried about the PF position, I don't like Rudy starting there and WCS is still a rookie...

K

KingMilz

Do you think Koufos and Cousins can share the floor? I don't see it, would love to hear someone else's opinion about it.

I really like him as a player, but if he can't play together with Cousins I don't see him as a priority. I am more worried about the PF position, I don't like Rudy starting there and WCS is still a rookie...
(not sure why you brought up Koufus but will answer the question)

Yeah I honestly believe DMC can play with any big man in the NBA, while obviously I would love Cousins playing close to the rim lets say our best line up would feature Koufos than Cousins can just step away and attack and Kosta gets boards, I remember Bricklayer did some stats a little while back for when Cousins played with Reggie Evans as opposed to other PF's and it showed it really did not affect Cousins at all (also watching I never felt Reggie slowed Cousins). If Cousins is unaffected by Reggie than he can easily play with anyone basically on offense anyway.

(not sure why you brought up Koufus but will answer the question)

Yeah I honestly believe DMC can play with any big man in the NBA, while obviously I would love Cousins playing close to the rim lets say our best line up would feature Koufos than Cousins can just step away and attack and Kosta gets boards, I remember Bricklayer did some stats a little while back for when Cousins played with Reggie Evans as opposed to other PF's and it showed it really did not affect Cousins at all (also watching I never felt Reggie slowed Cousins). If Cousins is unaffected by Reggie than he can easily play with anyone basically on offense anyway.
I miss read the Kef for some reason as meanning Koufos instead of Morris, anyway interesting stuff about the two centers possibility... I think there may be a downside on defense cause I don't see either of them chasing faster PF's or not getting killed on switches, but maybe they can make it work...

K

KingMilz

I miss read the Kef for some reason as meanning Koufos instead of Morris, anyway interesting stuff about the two centers possibility... I think there may be a downside on defense cause I don't see either of them chasing faster PF's or not getting killed on switches, but maybe they can make it work...
Very possible and likely but no matter what 2 big players you have you always give something up.

End of the day if WCS is ready to play from day one I would not mind him next to Cousins nor would I mind a fully skilled/talented undersized PF/oversized SF next to Cousins after a full training camp together.

Very possible and likely but no matter what 2 big players you have you always give something up.

End of the day if WCS is ready to play from day one I would not mind him next to Cousins nor would I mind a fully skilled/talented undersized PF/oversized SF next to Cousins after a full training camp together.
What I really liked about WCS as a prospect is that he should be able to chase quick PF's and can stick with guys off swtiches, and that's why I think he can develop to be a great guy to have next to Cousins, but the college game is so different and so much slower than the NBA that almost every player- regardless how talented and athletic, need time to adjust... that's at least my view on things

I am happy with what we have been able to do so far this free agency period. While we have addressed the need for some much needed stability and depth in the backcourt, we still desperately need to do the same for the frontcourt regardless of whether or not WCS is ready to play 25-30mpg straight away. We still have some nice coin remaining sowe need to use it wisely. I don't think we have much other assets to use in a trade without damaging what we have built so far this offseason.