Kings free agency, part 3

just want to say that the national media is a joke. Post us signing Rondo everyone out there is lining up to beat the kings down and willing us to fail.

id love to use so many four letter words here but so many people are going to be eating humble pie. Just like Demarcus shone, we will shine and no negative national media is goona hold us back.

Just like the early teams of the 2000s did we will rise again and when we do i wont forget what rubbish has been written in the current times.

I am happy with what we have been able to do so far this free agency period. While we have addressed the need for some much needed stability and depth in the backcourt, we still desperately need to do the same for the frontcourt regardless of whether or not WCS is ready to play 25-30mpg straight away. We still have some nice coin remaining sowe need to use it wisely. I don't think we have much other assets to use in a trade without damaging what we have built so far this offseason.
I agree. We could be the third or fourth team involved in a trade absorbing contracts I would pay attention to what happens with Aldridge and LAC, SA, Portland and Miami.

Pgs: rondo, collison, ray ray (good here)
Sgs: beli, mclemore (could see julyan stone or dohntay jones, stone who played in denver is on summer league team)
Sf: gay, casspi (for tpe or mme exception), anderson?
Pf: wcs and moreland (moreland is good but still need a pf, so acy?)
C: cuz , koufos and radjulica

So yeah i agree with most back up sf casspi or hedo and backup center koufos or _______?

J

jdbraver

Pgs: rondo, collison, ray ray (good here)
Sgs: beli, mclemore (could see julyan stone or dohntay jones, stone who played in denver is on summer league team)
Sf: gay, casspi (for tpe or mme exception), anderson?
Pf: wcs and moreland (moreland is good but still need a pf, so acy?)
C: cuz , koufos and radjulica

So yeah i agree with most back up sf casspi or hedo and backup center koufos or _______?
Could see David lee or nene

First off, Wow! What a turn of events. Kudos to Vlade and team for getting Bellinelli and Rondo today and at the same time even able to put some face value on D-Will.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm wary of Markieff Morris and his pending assault case, but a trade with PHX to help them clear caproom (say Morris and PJ Tucker for Ray McCallum?) and then a sign-and-trade with Memphis for Kostas Koufos (sending them Tucker) would be a nice pipe dream finish to the free agency period. Sign Casspi with the room exception and Miller (or maybe Ronnie Price or Ish Smith) to a minimum deal along with a deep bench big (Aldrich? Withey? Hollins?) and a shooter like James Jones and all of a sudden the Kings have:

C Koufos/Cauley-Stein/Aldrich
PF Cousins/Morris/Moreland
SF Gay/Casspi/Jones
SG Bellinelli/McLemore/Anderson
PG Rondo/Collison/Miller

Maybe Cousins and Koufos start or maybe it's Cuz and Morris. Down the road hopefully it's Boogie and Trill.

Or if Karl would rather go small maybe Jared Dudley is a target. Lots of good options still available to compliment a core of Rondo/Collison, Gay and Cousins. I was frustrated with the Philadelphia trade because the Kings have a history of striking out in free agency and then overpaying for mediocre talents. And when Ellis and Matthews used Sacramento for leverage against the teams they really wanted to sign with it looked like we were heading down that road again. But while I'm still iffy on Rondo, it's a good gamble to take and Bellinelli was a very solid signing. Vlade and co are making good moves so far. I hope it continues.

Can kings go over cap to resign casspi?
All the teams under the cap have a 2.8 mil exception that they can use when they use all of their cap room. We had Casspi on a 1 year deal which means we don't have his bird rights to go any higher than the 2.8 mil once we've hit the cap. So basically he takes the exception or his going to cut into our cap space a bit.

Sometimes I don't think Vlade is serious with these huge offers. Maybe he know they turn them down To make sure they sign elsewhere and we ensure another player we really want

At this point I'm convinced that one of Vlade's goals has been to drive up the price of almost every FA. Since we made the Philly trade has there been even one FA (besides Lebron, Gasol, and LMA of course) that we haven't been rumored to have made an offer to?
I doubt that's a target, and it's not like it's working...

The big over-pays we had nothing to do with- Aron baynes, Aminu... and the guys we targeted didn't really went for an over-pay:

Monta was signed to a very nice contract for the Pacers,
Beverly is the best contract signed this year (23 million for 4 years with a team option after 3, that's flat out ridiculous for him in this market),
Mavs was able to sign both DJ and Matthews and even with Harris- the Magic didn't go max, which many expected they will need to do...

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Check out @stevekylerNBA's Tweet: https://twitter.com/stevekylerNBA/status/617336606496817156?s=09

Offered Tobias Harris max deal.
This doesn't make a lot of sense. Harris was an RFA. He got very close to the max from Orlando anyway. He could just have signed the alleged Kings max offer sheet, had Orlando match, and stay in Orlando for like $1M more a year or something. What's Orlando going to say? No? 4/64 is fine, but 4/68 and you can walk? It's Orlando we're talking about.

Did news of Harris' acceptance of the Orlando offer come after news of Rondo's acceptance of our offer? That's the way I seem to remember it. And if so, I don't even think we have cap room to make a 4/64 offer once Rondo was on board.

I mean, I like the idea that we're going for all the big name free agents, but I'm a bit skeptical of some of these reports.

Well at least we can take Portlands playoff spot..

But man...**** the Spurs. :/
I'm also calling it now that Dallas doesn't make the playoffs. DeAndre is gonna get exposed big time especially if Cuban sees him as "a Shaq-type, 20-20 player". Matthews injury risk among the media seems to also be faint now that he chose the Mavs over the Kings too but history doesn't bode well for him coming back as the same player. We dodged a major bullet there