Kings do not pick up Giles and Caleb team options for next year!

This pretty much means they have 0 faith in Harry's potential if he isn't worth a 4 million dollar gamble.
I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but if they have an once of faith in him reaching rotation player contributions, this is a horrible decision.

Honestly, the Kings are the only franchise that can turn a good, feel good story (last season) into a fiasco (this season), litterally overnight.

I have never seen such incompetence and lack of direction in the Front Office for a franchise before. It's like a chicken running around with it's head cut off.

It's time for Vlade to be a man of his word and quit. He said that if the franchise was not in a better place in 2 years, he would quit.... well, were waiting Vlade!!!!

Luke's halftime pep talk last night:

Since I am "the players coach" I want the team to be the first to know
that Vlade told me in the tunnel, team is not picking up Harry's Option tomorrow
Sorry Harry, Sorry all you players that love Harry!

So go out there and play with effort and hope!! Go Kings!!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's not just that. This also means that the Kings can't sign him as an unrestricted free agent for more than the $4M we declined (to prevent us from "illegally" increasing how much he gets). Other teams can, however.

That means that if Giles shows he's worth $4M, he's gone and we can't do a thing about it.

Declining the fourth-year option is pretty much a death knell for a player's tenure with a franchise. It's hard to see him finishing the season with the Kings, and very very hard to see him with the Kings next year. But on the other hand, if there were literally any other team trying to deal for him, we would have picked that $4M up, because it sinks his trade value to not have it. So that suggests his trade value is nil.

I think there must be something we just don't know. Between the weird "bruise" at the end of last year and now the sudden preseason injury that Giles seemed to think didn't exist, now passing on the 4th-year option...something is up.

This sucks. Yet another piece of terrible news in a miserable stretch, and the season is barely a week old.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Oh, and on top of that - while I'm not terribly surprised about the Swanigan news, literally the ONLY thing the Skal-Swanigan trade had going for it was an extra year of control on Swanigan. Whoops! So much for that!

It’s official

KANGZ

The lack of transparency in regards to Harry is embarrassing. Now after all the hype they don’t even extend his 4th year.

What a disaster

so this basically means Giles won't be a King after this year ? As long as someone is willing to pay more than 4 mill ? So if he does well for whatever reason he's gone ?

Does the reason for the Kings doing this mean that they have 0 faith in him ? Because otherwise this doesn't really make much sense to me.

SLAB

Hall of Famer
so this basically means Giles won't be a Kings after this year ? As long as someone is willing to pay more than 4 mill ? So if he does well for whatever reason he's gone ?

Does the reason for the Kings doing this mean that they have 0 faith in him ? Because otherwise this doesn't really make much sense to me.
It’s simple; The franchise is run by absolute morons.

I guess we can thank Vivek and Vlade for one thing.

If/when we next have a feel good season, we now know that there's a 100% its an illusion. We best not fall into that trap ever again; if there's ever a point where things look up, it is scientific fact that it will turn out a fake. Remember that.

The literal only way this makes sense is if Giles won't physically be able to play again. Any other reason, there's no justification for it. You gave up all your flexibility to keep him long-term because you want to save $4mil? Yet you spend $60 mil this off-season on vets doing pretty much nothing right now? There goes another blown 1st round pick on Vlades record (Papa, Skal, Malachi, WCS, Giles, JJ) while passing on Zach Collins who's well on his way to being a damn good starter in this league (as many of us predicted during that draft).

Said it last night, said it again. Only good thing that comes from this season is we oust Vlade and get a real professional to the right the ship.

If it appears that Harry's knee will need additional rehab next year, maybe the kings can offer Harry a league min contract to show their commitment to a long term rehab at a cost less than 4 mil?

He ain’t playing this year. Don’t care that they say he’s close.
Yeah don't think he plays anymore either. My guess is this is a play to potentially get him on the cheap after having him rehab the year again. Especially in a lost season, why would we run him out there when he's not apart of our future?

As someone said, wtf would be the point of getting him out there 18-20 MPG, him ball out, then we can't retain him?

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
If he's unrestricted and we can't even bid market on him this is an indication team thinks he's done. Or someone doesn't understand the cap.

Just awful.