[Game] Kings @ Celtics, Monday, Nov. 25 - 4:30 PT, 7:30 ET

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Bogdan took a shot he was not supposed to take given the play call, that should be dealt with by the coaching staff. I would bench players that go against the coach especially in momemts like this...

Just checking in. I understand the frustration, but reality check folks. A hard fought game down to the wire against an upper tier team on the road on a back to back. Some good stuff and bad stuff tonight. Not sure it’s worth dwelling on when this underhanded team is playing their hearts out. As much as I hated the start of the season, this team’s guts is making me proud.

Was that really the play? A heavily contested fadeaway three in a 1 point game?
Yeah, color me disappointed they didn‘t run a play driving to the basket. Or a drive and kick type play.

Sans a red hot Buddy Hield taking the shot, the KINGS needed to take a higher percentage look than a 3. Even the very best shooters are around 40-45% from that distance. Down 1 with plenty of time left, you gotta maximize your chances there. Instead they gave themselves no shot at a foul or a put back like a Harrison Barnes had a few games back.

Walton has done a great job and having a chance to win against Boston, on the road, second night of a back to back is impressive.

But if I were to ask one question of Walton it would be why not have Beli as the inbounder in those instances.

1) he makes good decisions and his height helps see the floor for a pass to the rim.
2) you have to respect the pass back to Beli for a shot.
3) he is called Professor Big Shots for a reason.

Just didn’t like how the ATO played out in either case.

Just checking in. I understand the frustration, but reality check folks. A hard fought game down to the wire against an upper tier team on the road on a back to back. Some good stuff and bad stuff tonight. Not sure it’s worth dwelling on when this underhanded team is playing their hearts out. As much as I hated the start of the season, this team’s guts is making me proud.
Of course we are all happy they are playing well minus so many pieces. But let’s not excuse anything. The game was ripe for the taking with better decision making. Something completely fair to expect from them.

They need to win games like this, especially when they had the advantage of the hot player hitting 11 threes.

Walton has done a great job and having a chance to win against Boston, on the road, second night of a back to back is impressive.

But if I were to ask one question of Walton it would be why not have Beli as the inbounder in those instances.

1) he makes good decisions and his height helps see the floor for a pass to the rim.
2) you have to respect the pass back to Beli for a shot.
3) he is called Professor Big Shots for a reason.

Just didn’t like how the ATO played out in either case.
+1

They can learn some more about it by watching the Celtics play defense in this game on tape. Brad Stephens is a great defensive coach. Marcus Smart is the kind of player that a lot of people don't like........until he is on your team.
They surely didn’t play good defense on the final play. They left the hot player that had made 11 threes and scored 41 points open. They were fortunate Bogi was in hero, tunnel vision mode.

Re: Marcus Smart, my issue with him is also he has low BBIQ too. And isn’t a good shooter. Plays good to great defense, but makes lots of head scratching plays. If he were on the KINGS, our fans would target him as they do Buddy Hield.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I thought Giles did a fine job. Offense stalled late in the 3rd and we got some good movement with him in. He made some good baskets and passes.

Bogey just missed way too many shots in the 4th. He put up 20 shots when Buddy was having a record night. That’s way too many when he was that off. We’ll give him free pass for how good he’s been the last 10 games.

All in all, you’ve got to like what you see from the team. If this was last year’s team, after giving up a 25-7 run to close the first half, we probably would have gotten blown out in the 3rd, especially on the road and on a back-to-back. There is a toughness and cohesion there that is a big jump from last year
Um, not exactly. He made too many errors in judgment and got called on a couple of cheap fouls. Had Holmes not had 4 fouls, we would have been in a much better position. As it was, with Walton waiting to save Holmes for the final minutes and not trusting Dedmon at all, Giles was out there too long. Giles will learn, though.

The Kings have to do something about the back up C spot (Bagley return?) either slightly stagger Holmes/Bjelly where either one plays C or play Harry more, Dedmon has got to go he's done nothing to warrant playing time.

JJ defensively other than getting his ankle broke once was great.

These losses are so annoying. The Kings are like right there over the last couple weeks with the best teams in the league and they keep getting eeked out at the end. Fingers crossed that they start beating the teams they should be beating on a regular basis to take the sting off of these close losses to the top teams.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
He's a dumb player that you can't afford to have out there in crunch time though. Also there are bench players that can do what he does at half the price.
Buddy's on pace to have the greatest 3 point shooting season by anyone not named Curry or Harden. I realize crapting on him has become a bit of a pastime here but, warts and all, Buddy is one of the best pure shooters this league has seen.

Buddy's on pace to have the greatest 3 point shooting season by anyone not named Curry or Harden. I realize crapting on him has become a bit of a pastime here but, warts and all, Buddy is one of the best pure shooters this league has seen.
Don't have to tell me that :)

Underhanded? Methinks you mean shorthanded...

Um, not exactly. He made too many errors in judgment and got called on a couple of cheap fouls. Had Holmes not had 4 fouls, we would have been in a much better position. As it was, with Walton waiting to save Holmes for the final minutes and not trusting Dedmon at all, Giles was out there too long. Giles will learn, though.
He looks like he's fishing to figure out what he can get away with on the defensive end - for instance holds during cuts or rebounding. He has some trouble with bulkier players understandably. He's not not up to Holmes level on defense.

However, as with last year, when Bagley returns, Giles ought to be put in with him, as he seems thrive better with less defensive pressure on him.

Entity

Hall of Famer
These losses are so annoying. The Kings are like right there over the last couple weeks with the best teams in the league and they keep getting eeked out at the end. Fingers crossed that they start beating the teams they should be beating on a regular basis to take the sting off of these close losses to the top teams.
last year these type games came against the pistons and wizards and the heat. this year its against the Lakers and the Celtics. there is a difference.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
And that's the "problem" - we want/need more from him than just shooting. Fans want their heroes to be all-powerful. If we could just utilize his skills without needing him to be so much more, we'd all be a lot happier. There are teams who would give just about anything to add him to their roster because of his shooting. Hopefully the Kings will get to the point where we can relish in his talent without bemoaning his shortcomings.

You're missing the point. They aren't rising superstars. Acting like rising superstars with non-superstar talent is the definition of immaturity in the NBA.
They aren't because... You say so? I think saying they're not superstars is fair enough, but if they're not rising stars we pretty much don't have a chance of going deep in the playoffs for the next 5-6 years. I wonder, on what basis have you determined that they don't have star talent? Prior to last season did Pascal Siakam have star talent? You're acting like these guys are random rotation players when one is our leading scorer and the other led a FIBA team.

Both Bogdan and Buddy have proven way more than Marvin Bagley yet most here think Bagley is going to be one of our top 2 players. But the almighty Kingster has decreed that Bogi and Buddy aren't rising stars - better hope they get the memo.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
They aren't because... You say so? I think saying they're not superstars is fair enough, but if they're not rising stars we pretty much don't have a chance of going deep in the playoffs for the next 5-6 years. I wonder, on what basis have you determined that they don't have star talent? Prior to last season did Pascal Siakam have star talent? You're acting like these guys are random rotation players when one is our leading scorer and the other led a FIBA team.

Both Bogdan and Buddy have proven way more than Marvin Bagley yet most here think Bagley is going to be one of our top 2 players. But the almighty Kingster has decreed that Bogi and Buddy aren't rising stars - better hope they get the memo.
They aren't rising superstars because they don't have superstar talent. Take a poll around the NBA and try not to get laughed into the next country about Bogs and Hield being rising superstars. Good luck with that poll.:D No wonder you don't get the point. You're imagining superstar talent where it is nowhere to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.