KF Kings Prediction Poll #1: How Will Tyreke Do This Season?

Prediction: How will Tyreke Evans Do This Upcoming Season?

• 14pts 4reb 3ast, platoon starter or bench

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 12pts 3reb 3ast or less, to the bench

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
In a desperate bid to avoid the TDOS threads of doom, I have decided to start a polling series of prediction threads, one a day, from now until the first day of training camp, when thankfully we should have better things to discuss.

So our first thread/poll: Prediction: How Do You Think Tyreke Will Do This Season?

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I picked 20/5/5. That actually might be a bit optimistic on the assists and perhaps a bit pessimistic on the rebounds, as we should assume Tyreke is going to spend quite a few minutes off the ball this year with IT and Brooks handling much of the point.

I'd probably throw out a somewhat arbitrary 20/6/4 if forced to guess right now. The uptick in scoring is based on the presumption of an improved jumper leading to fewer misses outside and a few more open lanes on the pump fake and the assumption that we'll maintain a high-paced offense, but I don't want to get too optimistic because Cousins, MT23, IT, and Brooks all will be looking for their own, too. I don't really think there's anything in the works, but if MT23 gets traded for a SF that's not a 16-18 point scorer, maybe Tyreke hops up to 21-23 pts. If IT gets traded (I don't think we're out to dump him, but he's an asset), Tyreke gets bumped 1-1.5 assists.

I think his jumper will develop enough to move Tyreke up to about .465 FG% with a 3PT% flirting with .300. I also predict that no matter what his stats, he'll continue to be a point of contention on this board, with arguments about whether he should be traded, what he's worth as a FA next summer, etc.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
You know I hate polls AND I hate crystal ball predictions, but in an effort to alleviate the summer doll drums I will play ball. Honestly the 2 things that made me swing for the fences on this one are: 1. Movement to the SG position. Sure both Brooks and Thomas like o shoo, but that means defense must guard them leaving Evans open to cut to the hoop or play one one. 2. Improved rebounding and clearing out by Cousins and Jayson should give Evans more opportunities to pick up strays and get second chance hoops. Overall I think Evans has shown what he can and can't do and with a little better balance on the court and more time to play together should result in bringing out the best in his game, while a short season a thrown together line up and playing at the 3 brought out the worst.

I picked "16pts 4reb 3ast, ok starter like last year". I just don't see him flourishing in the system we have. I hope I am wrong though.

Saved me the effort of typing it.

I picked 20/5/5. That actually might be a bit optimistic on the assists and perhaps a bit pessimistic on the rebounds, as we should assume Tyreke is going to spend quite a few minutes off the ball this year with IT and Brooks handling much of the point.

I'd probably throw out a somewhat arbitrary 20/6/4 if forced to guess right now. The uptick in scoring is based on the presumption of an improved jumper leading to fewer misses outside and a few more open lanes on the pump fake and the assumption that we'll maintain a high-paced offense, but I don't want to get too optimistic because Cousins, MT23, IT, and Brooks all will be looking for their own, too. I don't really think there's anything in the works, but if MT23 gets traded for a SF that's not a 16-18 point scorer, maybe Tyreke hops up to 21-23 pts. If IT gets traded (I don't think we're out to dump him, but he's an asset), Tyreke gets bumped 1-1.5 assists.

I think his jumper will develop enough to move Tyreke up to about .465 FG% with a 3PT% flirting with .300. I also predict that no matter what his stats, he'll continue to be a point of contention on this board, with arguments about whether he should be traded, what he's worth as a FA next summer, etc.

I'm heading down the 18/4/4 route. I hope to see him be more aggressive this season to be our second option because he should be and then leave Marcus for hitting the clutch shots at the end of games if need be. I need to seriously start seeing some sort of improvement in that mid-range game though, however....giving that its a contract year for him, he is going to get paid regardless of whether he blows up or he just stays the same because he does have elite getting to the rim abilities. I just hope for the best for the guy, I mean I've been down on him myself and quite frankly I'm getting fed up with the yearly regression, so I suppose its a make or break year for him at least for Sac.

Picked 18/4/4 but hope for 22/6/6 and that had to be done with improving team play as well. Crossing fingers!!

By the way, the Cisco commercial got Slamson as the first thing you see...I'm going to buy Cisco product the next time I upgrade my home network.

18/4/4
He won't get much PG time, and with Cuz/Trob/JT/JJ he can focus on D and fast breaks, rather than crashing the glass.
It will be an elitely efficient 18 pts, still getting a ton at the rim, but also his FT rate back up and hitting wide open 15 footers, fg% over 50.

What I really want to see is an elite defender. That is how he can get himself back into all-star consideration, a physical Dennis Johnson-style combo guard.

There's still hope that if he can shoot he can be one of those all-nba talents, but I'll settle for improved D/midrange as a borderline all-star.

Can't pick. Have no idea how he'll do, what position he'll play, whether he'll start. None of that bothers me. Rather that is a reason I look forward to the season and why I am a fan. But I am optimistic.

bajaden

Hall of Famer

I went with 18/4/4. He could once again put up his rookie year stats, but I think its unlikely simply because of having Cuz and Thornton getting their share of shots. Besides, 18/4/4 are good numbers for a starting SG, and nothing to be ashamed of. The real bone of contention, as you put it, is whether he's in the long range plans of the team. A decision needs to be made before the trade deadline this year. I don't have that answer, but I'm sure there's a mindset within the orginization. They could have offered him an extension, and they didn't. That would have let the dust settle, and possibly been cheaper than down the road if they end up in a bidding war in the next offseason.

My gut tells me he's going to be traded. Certainly not because I want him traded, because I don't. Its just because the team has needs at other positions, and he's the player with the most value, that also has a very good replacement in Thornton on the team. Of course Tyreke could change everyone's mind if he comes into camp with some new weapons. In which case, it could be Thornton thats on the block. Should be interesting to see it play out.

My gut tells me he's going to be traded. Certainly not because I want him traded, because I don't. Its just because the team has needs at other positions, and he's the player with the most value, that also has a very good replacement in Thornton on the team. Of course Tyreke could change everyone's mind if he comes into camp with some new weapons. In which case, it could be Thornton thats on the block. Should be interesting to see it play out.
I hope not. I would rather see Thornton moved to clear out minutes for him at the two. Tyreke and Salmons can man the two while IT and Brooks hold down the one. Midseason sounds like the right time to resolve the lineup issues (aside from Jimmer who I would like to see elsewhere on opening day both for his own development and for the Kings unclogging of the backcourt.) That lets us see what we have with Johnson, a little bit of time to see if Cousins and T-Rob are compatible, and to see if one of our other wings can earn some playing time.

I think I hold Tyreke to a tougher standard than most.. I don't necessarily give him a pass for some of the regressive stats/play since his rookie year based on coaching or position, as I think great or very good players find ways to assert control of the game regardless.

Either way, I think this will be the year we definitively see how he is going to pan out

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Here's the deal. We have to decide whether to resign Tyreke or not, and if not, then probably trade him by the trade deadline. We could wait until after the season and let him become a restricted freeagent. I'm fairly sure he won't accept our qualifying offer, so that puts us in a bidding war. Tyreke is going to want a max salary. Now we might not think he's worth a max salary, but someone else out there might, and then what. We could be staring at a 15 mil a year contract.

Now lets say we think he's worth that. Certainly Cuz is also worth that. So going into Cousins final year, it would be wise to get him done on an extension. Now were looking at two 15 mil a year contracts. So if we accept that as fact, here's what were looking at in guaranteed contracts that year.

Evans: 15,000,000.00
Cousins: 15, 000,000.00
Thornton: 8,575,000.00
Thompson: 6,037,500.00
Hayes: 5,958,750.00
Robinson: 3,678,360.00
Fredette: 3,110,796.00
Outlaw: 3,000,000.00

Those 8 salaries add up to a grand total of $60,360,406.00. That doesn't take into consideration the possible salaries of I. Thomas, who would be a restricted freeagent that year along with Cousins, and Honeycutt. Nor does it take into consideration James Johnson or A. Brooks who would both become unrestricted freeagents the year before. One would have to believe that Thomas, especially if he takes another step in improvement, would demand something close to 4 or 5 mil a year. That could take us up to 65 mil in total salaries with only 9 players. Fill out the roster, and we're pushing at or above the luxury tax threshold. Remember, we are talking about the Maloofs here.

So it all comes down to whether we want to resign Tryeke of not. Its a bigger decision than most think. Now I realize that some of that roster could change. Salmons and Cisco will both be off the books by then. But I can only deal with what is, not what might be.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Jimmer will likely be off the books by then -- he goes team option after this season, so with him pinned and if a salary crunch ensues...easy way to clear $3-$4mil.

The real thing is that its a one year pinch -- Hayes and Outlaw both drop off after the one year and we have breathing room again. So the larger question is just if Tyreke is good enough to be the 2nd big contract, because SOMEBODY will have to be, or Cousins will figure out he's taken this thing as far as it can go and we'll soon not have to worry about any big contracts at all.

Also, the only way I see Reke getting paid max next offseason is if he puts together a season that should by all rights make US want to pay him max. Too many questions there for an 18 4 and 4 type season to get him max. $10+mil though is largely guaranteed.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Jimmer will likely be off the books by then -- he goes team option after this season, so with him pinned and if a salary crunch ensues...easy way to clear $3-$4mil.

The real thing is that its a one year pinch -- Hayes and Outlaw both drop off after the one year and we have breathing room again. So the larger question is just if Tyreke is good enough to be the 2nd big contract, because SOMEBODY will have to be, or Cousins will figure out he's taken this thing as far as it can go and we'll soon not have to worry about any big contracts at all.

Also, the only way I see Reke getting paid max next offseason is if he puts together a season that should by all rights make US want to pay him max. Too many questions there for an 18 4 and 4 type season to get him max. $10+mil though is largely guaranteed.
You could be right about Jimmer, and you could be right about Tyreke and the max. However, its also possible that Jimmer breaks out and has a good year and becomes valuable, especially at such a cheap price. Its also possible that some team out there is willing to gamble on giving Tyreke the max. So while I agree with you in general, as that being the most likely, I think the team has to prepare for the worse. However your right about it being a one year pinch. The question is, are the Maloofs willing to bite the bullet for one year?

I can't see IT, MT, and now also Brooks deferring to Evans. These guys will want the ball on their hands and will be looking for their own shots. That will make Evans ineffective once again unable to do what he does best, especially now that he will be playing off the ball most of the time.

With the hungry-for-the-ball IT and MT, Evans became a 16-4-3 player. What can we expect now that we have added another ball-dominant PG in Brooks?

IMO, unless Coach Smart does something about this problem Evans (at best) will have another 16-4-3 year this season. Our cornerstone player will regress some more. Oh well, at least we don't have to worry about whether to give him a max contract next year because for sure he will be gone.

I can't see IT, MT, and now also Brooks deferring to Evans. These guys will want the ball on their hands and will be looking for their own shots. That will make Evans ineffective once again unable to do what he does best, especially now that he will be playing off the ball most of the time.

With the hungry-for-the-ball IT and MT, Evans became a 16-4-3 player. What can we expect now that we have added another ball-dominant PG in Brooks?

IMO, unless Coach Smart does something about this problem Evans (at best) will have another 16-4-3 year this season. Our cornerstone player will regress some more. Oh well, at least we don't have to worry about whether to give him a max contract next year because for sure he will be gone.

with the stupid brooks signing and already having ball hungry players the maloofs have the perfect built in excuse not to pay evans. he will proceed to sign somewhere else and emerge into a nice player.....who kills us every time he plays us.

The Team will gel and Tyreke/DMC lead the Kings to a 7th seed in the playoffs. They surprise the Spurs with a junk yard dog style defense winning the pivotal 7th game on a Jimmer 3 point shot. Tyreke returns to rookie season form and a much improved jump shot invigorates the Kings offense.

KB

Last edited:
The Team will gel and Tyreke/DMC lead the Kings to a 7th seed in the playoffs. They surprise the Spurs with a junk yard dog style defense winning the pivotal 7th game on a Jimmer 3 point shot. Tyreke returns to rookie season form and a much improved jump shot invigorates the Kings offense.

KB
If only we lived in a perfect world.

It's going to depend heavily on how Tyreke has progressed. I don't mean from a physical standpoint, but from a mental one. He's never had any physical shortcomings IMO. But mentally, he's seen his thunder stolen by not 1, or 2, but 3 guys since he's become ROY. I hope that it's clicked within him that he's good enough to be the #2 option on this team, and he should play like it. Assume it, and show Coach "Smart" how good he is and that he deserves more touches than any other player besides Cousins.

If he does so, then i think he can be 18/5/5 fairly easily, with room for more. If he's got the same demeanor he's had in the past, then i'd think he'd be something like 15/4/4

He will do great wherever he goes. I picked traded because I believe the Maloofs will blow up the team in an effort to save money while they build their "no support in Sacramento" narrative.

i think Tyreke is going beast mode this year. he seems to be working extremely hard on his game and is very motivated to prove hes a major star

I went with 16/4/3. I really hope I'm wrong but I just don't see the same player off the ball as I did when he was running point. Sometimes you can't just pigeon hole a guy into any position and expect the same results.

And like others have mentioned, there's always the Maloof factor. If they make it known to management that paying Reke the big bucks is out of the question then you may see his minutes reduced.

OTOH, that could work in our favor as well as showcasing him for trade purposes could lead to big minutes and more opportunities to up a hypothetical scoring avg. of 16 ppg average. But that still doesn't hide the fact that he'll be playing off the ball and will be in a more uncomfortable scoring position.

I could see Evans averaging 20/5/5 but i could also see him average 18pts 4reb 4ast, 2nd/3rd option..it just depends if has a more improved shot,and how he is used.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Of all the polls Brick has had, this is by far the most important one, imo. Unfortunately, it's also one of the more speculative ones. The season probably hinges on Tyreke's improvement or lack thereof and I haven't seen enough reports in the off-season to have any idea how it is going to go - status quo, marginal improvement, or "blowing up"? (Yes, I'll assume in a contract year that he won't regress). If his shooting isn't a lot better in training camp, then it's goodbye Tyreke. If his shooting is a lot better in October training camp, then it's wait and see until December. I say, December, and not October in training camp, because we've seen in the past how Tyreke's shooting percentage can degrade with fatigue, probably because of his poor shooting form. If he does blow up, then yes, it's max contract, probably with the Kings. If he doesn't, then I think there's a trade by the trade deadline.

I think this is the most important in an indirect way. The big question this year is if the Kings can find a system to effectively utilize the skills of Cousins and Evans. Cousins shouldn't be too hard, but it has been very difficult for them to use the skills Evans has (and the ones he doesn't) consistently in the last couple years.

Can they find a way to do it this year? It will certainly make it easier if Evans can improve his game, but I think the onus is first and foremost on Smart and Petrie.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think this is the most important in an indirect way. The big question this year is if the Kings can find a system to effectively utilize the skills of Cousins and Evans. Cousins shouldn't be too hard, but it has been very difficult for them to use the skills Evans has (and the ones he doesn't) consistently in the last couple years.

Can they find a way to do it this year? It will certainly make it easier if Evans can improve his game, but I think the onus is first and foremost on Smart and Petrie.
What coach can devise a successful system for a non-outside shooting two guard? If the guy can shoot, the system is going to look fine. If it can't, it won't, regardless if Popovitch or Sloan or Smart is devising the offense. To me, if you're looking for a litmus test for Smart, look on the defensive side of the ball. Smart can't help it if his two guard can't hit 20 footers, but he should be able to help it if guys don't talk on D and switch properly and get back on opposing teams' fast breaks.