Kevin Martin: Does he have potential to be great?

J

JohnGalt

10-4 Hrdboild. Great post - good points all.

Even at that, I would not say Gerald Wallace has the potential to be "great". Too stupid and too weak a work ethic.

Maybe it's in how we define "great".

But you're right - the Kings never admitted it was a lost season, so that was a specious argument (although it most certainly, in reality, WAS a lost season).

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
hrdboild said:
... Every player in the league came in through the draft...
I must disagree with this part; every player on our own team didn't even come in through the draft. Ever hear of Brad Miller?

El Duque said:
There once was a skinny kid with an ugly shot and pretty good athleticism that became the 12th leading scorer in NBA history...

El Duque wins the thread.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Yeah, I don't think Gerald Wallace will be 'great', but I think he's got a long NBA career ahead of him. And I think Kevin Martin has as much potential as Wallace did when he was with the Kings. The jumpshot seems to be the one flaw that is most easily fixed in the NBA if players commit themselves to working on it. You're right that it seems awfully premature to be speculating on Martin's potential at this point given how little he's played, but that does loom as a factor in this offseason. How badly do we need a new SG? Is Kevin somebody we're willing to trade or is he a future piece of this team? Those are questions that need to be answered this summer so even if there's very little evidence to go from, the speculation is at least justified.

Personally, I think if he commits himself to working on the jumpshot, builds up the strength needed to play in the league, and focuses on his man-to-man defense, he'll be an important part of somebody's NBA roster. He's got the physical tools needed to be a good swingman and he's clearly got some kind of instincts for the game to score that many points on a consistent basis in college (whatever the strength of the competition he was facing). It's really up to him and how committed he is to working on his game. In that respect, I think he's got some good role models on this team and hopefully he'll be working with them over the summer. We'll just have to wait and see.

Oh and regarding Brad Miller (and Mo Evans too), they were draft eligible even if they weren't drafted. I wasn't so much refering to the draft specifically as in 'we have to use or draft picks wisely or we'll fall behind', although that's true too. I just meant that we shouldn't let the desire to fill our holes with proven veterans distract us from developing young talent too.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
thesanityannex said:
wasn't martin the the number 2 scorer in his last season of NCAA???
That alone is not much of a sign, especially when a guy is from a smaller school. History is strewn with super-college scorers who just can't make the transition to the NBA.

If Kevin can put on some muscle, hopefully he can avoid the fate of so many college scorers who are just too small/weak to duplicate thier accomplishments in the pros. Lot of tweener types, 6'1" OGs, 6'4" forwards etc. put up big numbers in college.

T

thesanityannex

i still believe he was a steal at what, the 26th pick overall. not bad in my opinion, if he decides to develop.

Lot of tweener types, 6'1" OGs, 6'4" forwards etc. put up big numbers in college.
Ah, but he IS 6'7", not a bad size at all, and certainly not a 'tweener' He does need to develop some upper body strength. While big numbers in college certainly do not always translate into being a good NBA player, it certainly gives him a little extra edge. He is capable of scoring.
Big season coming up for Kevin.