Is this for real? "Bill Walton join's Kings Broadcast crew"

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Um, he's doing the LeBron game at ARCO, right? If we were to somehow land LeBron on the Kings, would that mean he'd do all 41 home games?

:eek: :eek:

:p

That's it. I'm officially on the we don't need that LeBron scrub bandwagon.

What I want to know is why would the Maloofs want to screw up most of the best/most watched games the Kings have on their schedule.

Who really cares? 5-10 games, a quarter here or there. I'm not saying I like it, it just doesn't seem that it will have much of an impact....

I much more upset about Kayte....

I've always liked Walton. The key is to not take him seriously, he's good comic relief.
I remember a few years ago watching a Clippers game (can't remember why) and Pete Chillcut made 3 baskets in a row and Walton said, "Pete Chillcut, You can't stop him. You can only hope to contain him." It made me laugh out loud.

In the end it's not about the people broadcasting from courtside, its about the guys on the court. We could have the mental equivalent of a babbling bunch of baboons on the broadcasts and I could care less as long as we are winning.
Good for you that you could care less who our broadcasters are.
However, I care who our players are and also care who our broadcasters are. As such, once again I am embarrassed of/for the Maloofs.

I didn't read through this thread after seeing the overwhelmingly negative reaction, but I'll say this: Bill Walton is hands-down one of the most entertaining guys to listen to during a basketball game. He's a good dude. It's understandable that he's a Lakers fan, for obvious reasons. But his commentary is always fun, regardless of his allegiance. I don't get the fuss.

It looks like the Maloof's are trying to buy respect for the franchise with these moves. It won't work.

Note to the Maloof's: Thank you for saving me the $99 for the NBA League Pass for the coming year.

Yeah, heaven forbid we have opinions that happen to be negative and discuss them on a discussion forum. ;)
No....heaven Forbid we do it ALL the time. That is the point. I mean, the guy happens to pretty funny, and he is doing 5 to 10 freaking games. This move has nothing to do with the product on the court, so that is why i am struggling to see where all of the pain and aguish is coming from.

Anyone that doesn't at least slightly chuckle and curl their lips into a partial smile as a result of Bill Waltons brand of comedy simply don't get it. :cool:

I mean, the guy happens to pretty funny, and he is doing 5 to 10 freaking games. This move has nothing to do with the product on the court, so that is why i am struggling to see where all of the pain and aguish is coming from.
I suppose it comes down to whether you see Walton as a joke or as an entertaining guy. If you see him as a joke (i.e. ridiculous), than having him do Kings games (regardless of how many) is... well, a bad joke. If you see him as entertaining, well, that's fine. But try to understand that many people don't. Those of us who see Walton as ridiculous are reminded that the Maloofs have enthuisiasm to spare but continue to come up short on wisdom.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
No....heaven Forbid we do it ALL the time. That is the point. I mean, the guy happens to pretty funny, and he is doing 5 to 10 freaking games. This move has nothing to do with the product on the court, so that is why i am struggling to see where all of the pain and aguish is coming from.

The red is your opinion. I could opine on just how much you are missing the point to have that opinion, but suffice it to say that Bill Walton does not consider himself the joke. This is not Charles Barkley playing a buffoon. This is the real deal.

And quit whining about the reaction. There is a very discerning reaction taking place here amongst people actually capable of discerning. Any number of national figures could have been hired instead of Walton and there would not have been a peep. If they had wanted to bring in Tom Tolbert I would have said, atta boy Maloofs. This reaction is to a blabbering tool ****ing up roughly 1 out of every 8 Kings telecasts next year, which is the only way most people get to see the Kings. It only makes it worse that they have put him on for the majority of what passes for the showcase games of the season for the Kings. Not only is he there to verbally vomit all over 1 out of 8 telecasts, he's there to do it on the 1 out of 8 people are most interested in.

I am actually "lucky" enough to be partially immune -- I can have the dubious honor of listening to the Clippers/Lakers announcers instead on League Pass for half the games. The situation is more unfortunate for people stuck in Sacto within easy reach of the Maloofs' blundering again. If there was a "mute Walton" option on the telecast that would let individuals listen to the game without the moron making an *** of himself, again there would less room to complain. There is not.

Last edited:
The red is your opinion. I could opine on just how much you are missing the point to have that opinion, but suffice it to say that Bill Walton does not consider himself the joke. This is not Charles Barkley playing a buffoon. This is the real deal.

And quit whining about the reaction. There is a very discerning reaction taking place here amongst people actually capable of discerning. Any number of national figures could have been hired instead of Walton and there would not have been a peep. If they had wanted to bring in Tom Tolbert I would have said, atta boy Maloofs. This reaction is to a blabbering tool ****ing up roughly 1 out of every 8 Kings telecasts next year, which is the only way most people get to see the Kings. It only makes it worse that they have put him on for the majority of what passes for the showcase games of the season for the Kings. Not only is he there to verbally vomit all over 1 out of 8 telecasts, he's there to do it on the 1 out of 8 people are most interested in.

I am actually "lucky" enough to be partially immune -- I can have the dubious honor of listening to the Clippers/Lakers announcers instead on League Pass for half the games. The situation is more unfortunate for people stuck in Sacto within easy reach of the Maloofs' blundering again. If there was a "mute Walton" option on the telecast that would let individuals listen to the game without the moron making an *** of himself, again there would less room to complain. There is not.
I guess i see what you're saying, but you lost me with the whole Tom Tolbert thing. Good god. Just....yuck.

I really disagree with the bolded part though. You dont think Walton knows what he's doing in terms of 'Playing a character'? He is over the top because he chooses to be, and for some of us, it is entertaining. Once again, it isn't for that many games at all. He isn't my absolute favorite, but im not about to go slit my wrists or add this to the list of 'Maloof Blunders'.

In my Opinion, The 'Maloof Blunder List' should be predicated on the decisions that affect the product on the basketball court. But you're right it is only my opinion. Let the draft talk continue! *Begins to Pray*

Whatever you may say, even though perfectly valid, it's all about attracting more viewers. The average fan knows Bill Walton. Moronic or not, he's an icon of the game. And fans, like myself, would lean toward watching him. Not for his analysis, but for the bizarre statements he's guaranteed to make.

But I think you need a 3rd guy though in the box who actually can provide analysis which would allow Bill to go Bill on the broadcast.
I agree with this.

It is a lot more interesting and entertaining watching and waiting for a basketball icon make moronic and bizarre basketball statement. I love it when Charles, Kenny, Magic, or Chris Webber talk about anything. It is so boring to watch an unknown broadcaster however good they are with their analysis.

It won't cater the likes of basketball gurus like brickie, but this is for the average fans. Good business move I think for the sake of entertaining the majority.

This is making me physically ill....

I guess i won't be buying NBA League Pass this year. I cannot handle Bill Walton's broadcasting! Living here in Spokane, Wa, i might have to become....oh my god, i can't believe i'm saying this....... a Blazer fan!! :eek:

I'm not thrilled, but I just can't have as negative reaction as some people.

Since the Maloofs seem to be staying more or less out of Petrie's way these days, I guess this is the price. They'll just fiddle with the rest of the decisions. If it keeps them from making decisions like hiring Mussleman or Theus to coach, I'll take it. Or at least wait and see how it goes. :p

Kingster

Hall of Famer
What would be really great is to get Walton to be a part-time big man's coach. If he could transition into that for the Kings, it would be fantastic.

If you recall, in April, John Thomas was shown the door. The Kings installed the team’s legal counsel as president and told the Bee “The changes also will reflect the Maloofs' renewed involvement this season in all aspects of the team's business operations and, according to Joe Maloof, reflects their intention to become increasingly engaged in the future.”

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/2010/03/kings-president.html

Here, is what that looks like. Welcome to the Dan Synder era of MSE

What would be really great is to get Walton to be a part-time big man's coach. If he could transition into that for the Kings, it would be fantastic.
Sounds good, but probably impractical due to Walton's physical condition. Vosin in today's Bee goes into detail about his severe foot and back problems that leave him often immobile and in pain.

Also, of note was how she described Joe Maloof reading in LA Times about Walton's disability and having a seintimental moment to suddenly offer the old redhead a shot with the Kings to get back on his feet, so to speak. So apparently there was no grand strategy, no planning in this little off the wall broadcasting move.

If you actually believe Bill Walton isn't doing a "shtick"...

Then you have been seriously TROLLED...by the greatest announcer of western civilization!