Is this for real? "Bill Walton join's Kings Broadcast crew"

You aren’t listening to what Brick is saying … or you are such homers that you’ll defend anything. These facts are beyond dispute: (1) Walton has an extremely low Q-rating with Kings fans; (2) this was a Maloof move; and (3) the Maloofs are friendly with Bill. You can hear the Maloofs saying, “Yeah, great idea. Or fans would love this.” Owners have hair brained ideas like that all the time. No big deal. The problem is, well run organizations have lower level people that say “look, that’s just not going to fly, work, be appreciated here; ” and ownership listens to people who know better.

In all of the examples above, plus the Artest trade, Muss and Thus hires, even firing Rick mainly over personality conflict, the people below the top either: (1) also came to very bad decisions; or (2) were ignored by ownership. Neither is a great option.

There was a failure here. Either nobody was consulted. Or they didn’t have the guts to pipe up. If they were, I have no doubt they at least said … “Gee, do you think that will work. He’s not so popular here” and they got the “don’t worry about it.”

That dynamic keeps popping up over and over again over the last 5 years. The problem is the Maloofs are much closer to Dan Snyder than Mark Cuban. Brick is right – they always grab the flashy move that appeal to their own interests or vision. Based upon what’s going on in Sacramento and Las Vegas over the past 3 years, maybe it’s time they listen to somebody else for a while.

You aren’t listening to what Brick is saying … or you are such homers that you’ll defend anything. These facts are beyond dispute: (1) Walton has an extremely low Q-rating with Kings fans; (2) this was a Maloof move; and (3) the Maloofs are friendly with Bill. You can hear the Maloofs saying, “Yeah, great idea. Or fans would love this.” Owners have hair brained ideas like that all the time. No big deal. The problem is, well run organizations have lower level people that say “look, that’s just not going to fly, work, be appreciated here; ” and ownership listens to people who know better.

In all of the examples above, plus the Artest trade, Muss and Thus hires, even firing Rick mainly over personality conflict, the people below the top either: (1) also came to very bad decisions; or (2) were ignored by ownership. Neither is a great option.

There was a failure here. Either nobody was consulted. Or they didn’t have the guts to pipe up. If they were, I have no doubt they at least said … “Gee, do you think that will work. He’s not so popular here” and they got the “don’t worry about it.”

That dynamic keeps popping up over and over again over the last 5 years. The problem is the Maloofs are much closer to Dan Snyder than Mark Cuban. Brick is right – they always grab the flashy move that appeal to their own interests or vision. Based upon what’s going on in Sacramento and Las Vegas over the past 3 years, maybe it’s time they listen to somebody else for a while.
Ahhhh TDOS for sure. :rolleyes:

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I like it. Beyond the over-the-top personality, he knows basketball, especially when it comes to big men. His comments on Hawes, Thompson & Co. are going to be very interesting. I really think Walton, for some reason, thinks that he "has" to entertain, and he goes way overboard. If he would just stick to the basketball knitting, he would be just fine.

This is quite possibly the worst move in the history of Western Civilization.
This made me laugh. You're referring to Walton's hiring, right? :D

To be honest, I don't care that much about whether it's good exposure or not. As a Kings fan who watches Kings games, I personally don't like it. I'm not a fan of Walton at all, and I'm not a fan of Gray at all. Even if only slightly, either of those guys will decrease the amount of enjoyment I get from watching the game.

Sure, any high profile hire will have some naysayers who just don't like it, but this time I'm one of the naysayers so these last couple of decisions (similar to the gold jerseys and 6 statue) get a thumbs down.

I thought he was done with broadcasting after all his problems with his back?
Well he pretty much is. I mean, he is only doing 5 to 10 games. People on this forum just want something to complain about. I guess it's the cool thing to do around here now. The draft couldn't come fast enough at this point.

These media moves look like a sign that the organization is looking to land a MAJOR free agent this summer. That's what this is about folks.
If you are going to speculate about a move – it’s out of Sacramento and not a top free agent in.

As a preliminary matter, if the Kings move to either Anaheim or San Jose, Jerry will be replaced. His main charm here is the fact that we’ve all known him for a very long time, we know his act, and he plays the down home stick that works here. Even with all that playing here, he’s got more than a few critics. It’s just not going to play in those markets. You can argue it will work, but you would be wrong. If are you arguing the other way, you just don’t know how TV works. Tommy and Jerry have fans because they are “our” homers. You cannot drop Jerry into the homes of thousands of new viewers in LA and expect – “Beno is Bueno” to be accepted.

Katie might have played – but some people would have scoffed (ignorantly) due to her gender

Right now Jim is doing 20 game in a market in a TV market he has no business being in and Bill is trying to get back into broadcasting – in a TV market he has no business being in. (I’m not talking about the fact they aren’t liked here. For the NBA, this is a mid-sized TV market. While their stars have faded, both men were doing national work. Either could get work in a better market than Sac.)

Conversely, the Kings might be 41 home games away from moving into top level TV markets. I can’t see Jim or Bill saying, “Wow, these guys might sign Bosh. This is the place to be.” However, I can see the Maloofs saying – “Look, you haven’t found the local job you like. This whole arena deal is looking shakier by the day, we might be in a top 7 market in a couple of months. Let’s do a little work together next year and we’ll see where it goes after that.”

To me – this is either a hedge based upon the possibility of relocation or a bad call based upon cronyism.

Finally, save the rebuttal - there is nothing inconsistent about saying those broadcasters are over qualified to be in Sac and they are a bad fit for Sac. Among the die hards here that will support just about anything the Kings do, it's pissing a lot of people off. This won't play well with casual fans. It's a bad hire off a bad process ... or much worse.

Let's see how can I abuse my power today? The Knicks-- The Clippers-- Oh how about the Kings. That 5th pick was way too generous, plus they might be getting a new arena and Evans turned out great. Let me put them back in their place.

Hello Bill? I have a job for you--

I'll take it!

Hello, Maloof brothers? I have some good news.

I've decided to grow a beard-- oh and Bill Walton will be joining your broadcast crew.

Last edited:
If you are going to speculate about a move – it’s out of Sacramento and not a top free agent in.

To me – this is either a hedge based upon the possibility of relocation or a bad call based upon cronyism.

Finally, save the rebuttal - there is nothing inconsistent about saying those broadcasters are over qualified to be in Sac and they are a bad fit for Sac. Among the die hards here that will support just about anything the Kings do, it's pissing a lot of people off. This won't play well with casual fans. It's a bad hire off a bad process ... or much worse.
Ugh, now I'm depressed instead of bemused.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I've always liked Walton. The key is to not take him seriously, he's good comic relief.
Yes, he is playing a character and I enjoy it. I thought he and Snapper had a great rapport, particularly when they did local broadcasts for the Clips.

They've employed Jerry so long they may as well go out and get the real deal.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Y'know. Thinking hard about it, I realized something. Walton can mentor Hawes. We can all agree that Walton is like the beta version of Chunky Chuck but he was also one hell of a player (when he wasn't hurt and or old) and was one of the first "Princeton-style" centers.

...Alright, now leaving dreamland.:p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not sure why - because Bill Walton has ALWAYS bugged the crap out of me - but I think this could be fun.

:)

Just a little bit of the joy we have to look foward to

[yt=Bill Walton]6KkrccHEAqg [/yt]
Just imagine what he'll have to say about Jason Thompson!

[yt=Bill Walton 2]LXgdpR3a2L4 [/yt]
Imagine the dynamic between him and Grant!

[yt=Bill Walton 3]vyv818oYvJA[/yt]
And the battle of wit between him and Jerry!

:p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well he pretty much is. I mean, he is only doing 5 to 10 games. People on this forum just want something to complain about. I guess it's the cool thing to do around here now. The draft couldn't come fast enough at this point.
Earth to NewArena... You're one of the people on this forum. And, sure enough, you're finding something to complain about. Talk about the snake devouring his own tail...

People will laugh at us. That is not the sort of attention you want.

Walton is a complete tool. He has no place being employed in the NBA, let alone by the Sacramento Kings.

As an aside, a business with no customers is in even worse shape than a business with no exposire. The Maloofs are just amateurs. Ten years in and they still have no wisdom. They are like a bunch of birds attracted by shiny beads. They have no feel for who is knowledgible, who is popular, or anything else. They just see names, powerpoint presentations, and anything else shallow and irrelevant, and they mess up again and again.
Are they getting wiser keeping their enemies closer?

Krunker

Northernmost Kings Fan
NOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm still hoping this is some cruel hoax. It'll be quite a spectacle though if he gushes his usual man-love for the Lakers when they're playing the Kings. Are the Maloofs just pandering to all the Laker fans infiltrating Arco Arena?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Um, he's doing the LeBron game at ARCO, right? If we were to somehow land LeBron on the Kings, would that mean he'd do all 41 home games?

:eek: :eek:

:p