Interesting Waivers

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Interesting Waiver Wire

Guess we're going to know soon enough who we're going to keep for our bench this year, but there have been some interesting waivers/buyouts in the last few days around the league. If we decide to look outside our camp invites, there are some established NBA journeymen we could turn to for backup big man, SF or PG help:

Waived:
Jelani McCoy PF/C
Gary Trent PF
Donnel Harvey PF/SF
Lonny Baxter PF
Howard Eisley PG
Felipe Lopez G/F

No All-Stars there, but some proven NBA types.

Last edited:
Gary Trent and Donnel Harvey intrigue me most on that list. My main concern with Trent would be that he can be another TMass. If he gets minutes, he's not a problem, but if he's not going to get any run and is stuck on the bench behind Songaila and OTag, he'll just be a pain in the *** in the lockerroom. I like his ability to actually score the basketball in the lowpost despite his size.

Harvey is an energy guy akin to Najera / Rose, at least in my opinion. He'll get a ton of rebounds per minute (which after the preseason couldn't hurt the Kings). His big drawback is offense, namely the fact that he doesn't have any outside of dunks/layups.

Speaking of a couple years ago, Corsley Edwards was released the other day too.

I only happened to notice because I was looking at the Orlando roster and they're still four deep at center, and I'd have a feeling Mario Kasun could possibly get waived today - that might be an interesting pickup.

Although I'd probably feel better with a veteran, there's not a whole lot out there, and Kasun has some good experience over in Europe.

If someone else is picked up I think it would have to be a PF/C with some kind of skills even if they don't see much time. Pickings are slim though, unless you just want a body - in that case I hear Boumtje Boumtje got waived too. :)

4cwebb said:
Gary Trent and Donnel Harvey intrigue me most on that list. My main concern with Trent would be that he can be another TMass. If he gets minutes, he's not a problem, but if he's not going to get any run and is stuck on the bench behind Songaila and OTag, he'll just be a pain in the *** in the lockerroom. I like his ability to actually score the basketball in the lowpost despite his size.

Harvey is an energy guy akin to Najera / Rose, at least in my opinion. He'll get a ton of rebounds per minute (which after the preseason couldn't hurt the Kings). His big drawback is offense, namely the fact that he doesn't have any outside of dunks/layups.
Donnell thinks he has offense though his wild forays to the hoop are legendary,lol. I remember when he came out of high school everyone touted him as "rodman" like. how he wanted boards more than pts, and that was true at Florida, but once he got in the NBA that changed. and he tries to take guys off the dribble, its funny to watch. I guess leaving FL after one yr.worked out for him he got 3yr's worth of gaurenteed money

I saw Baxter in TO a lot, he's not as abad as you would expect. His problem is empathy, donuts, and work ethic. He can giove you 10 solid minutes of banging and cheap baskets. When he does seem inspired, he's actually a fan favourite. His rebounding is bad, but that's because he's hesitiant throw his body in there. In a 10-minute stint though, he could probably be convinced to do so, especially with Tag taking the heavy punishment, leaving him with Christian Laetner.

Last edited:

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
jelement said:
Speaking of a couple years ago, Corsley Edwards was released the other day too.
Yeah, Corsley was our 2nd rounder year before last. 6-9 and 280, body by Ford. Raw, coachable sure would be a big body and he can't be worse than Alton Ford at this point, can he? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Bricklayer

CruzDude said:
Yeah, Corsley was our 2nd rounder last year I think. 6-9 and 280, body by Ford. Raw, coachable sure would be a big body and he can't be worse than Alton Ford at this point, can he? :rolleyes:
Yes he can. Outside of actually being drafted (in the Mr. irrelevant spot), Corsley hasn't shown one inkling of NBA ability. As I recall he was a lousy rebounder for such a big man in college to boot. Alton Ford sucks. He's a scrub. But at least he's a borderline NBA scrub. No reason for us to go out and actually try to find somebody LESS qualified.

Bricklayer

The Bulls just bought out Eddie Robinson today as well.

That is VERY interesting as far as backup SF goes. He was ridiculously over paid in Chicago, but he's a long athletic high-flying legit SF (not a blown up guard -- he's the same height as Peja). He can't shoot, which is always trouble if you want to be a King. But if we're looking for a real live backup SF to give Peja a breather now and then, we could do a lot worse.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Truconfidence said:
Eddie Robinson would not be a bad pick-up if you can get him on the cheap.
Since his contract was bought out he can be signed for Vet min. That is really a win win for a guy like Robinsion who has not beeen able to play on a national stage, and just lost big time stock by being dumped by celler dewellers. A year in Sac, cuold be the shot in the arm his acreer needs, and there is nothing more motivated tahn a guy playing on the cheap looking for a new contarct the next season. Just ask JJ.

HndsmCelt said:
Since his contract was bought out he can be signed for Vet min. That is really a win win for a guy like Robinsion who has not beeen able to play on a national stage, and just lost big time stock by being dumped by celler dewellers. A year in Sac, cuold be the shot in the arm his acreer needs, and there is nothing more motivated tahn a guy playing on the cheap looking for a new contarct the next season. Just ask JJ.
It's a win-win for the Kings, too. They get to look at a guy who supposedly has some talent for cheap. If he works out, they probably get first dibs. If not, didn't cost much to look. Don't see much risk. If he's a head case, a cancer, bitches re: playing time, you point him toward the door.

Anyone who gets waived from the Bulls should be willing to sign to a ten-day contract. Of course, that isn't an option until later on in the season, I believe. Even still, a partially guaranteed option for someone like Eddie Robinson isn't a bad idea, even if he can't shoot.

I'd prefer some size, though, if we were gonna start claiming people off of waivers. By size, I mean a bruiser like Gary Trent.

Superman said:
I'd prefer some size, though, if we were gonna start claiming people off of waivers. By size, I mean a bruiser like Gary Trent.
Can't really argue with you. To me, Barnes looked like he could fill in for the few minutes Peja won't play, and Trent is indeed a bruiser with an NBA pedigree. Robinson is a little like Courtney Alexander in that people think there's something there, but aren't quite sure what.

But when you have the skills the Robinson has at 6'9", 210 lbs., as opposed to Courtney Alexander at 6'5", 205 lbs., the bigger player trumps the smaller one.

Either way, there's really not much room on the roster for him. If Courtney winds up not panning out, then you fill his spot with some size, which I would consider doing anyways with someone like Gary Trent on the market for dirt cheap. If Doug weren't hurt, Courtney may not have made the team anyways.

Superman said:
But when you have the skills the Robinson has at 6'9", 210 lbs., as opposed to Courtney Alexander at 6'5", 205 lbs., the bigger player trumps the smaller one.
The jury's still out on both guys, I suspect. Both are world-class teasers. Alexander's intriguing because, as you note, Doug's hurt and also because, eventually, Doug will have to be replaced as a main guy. While the Kings drafted Kevin Martin with that in mind, Alexander's still reasonably young (27). The Kings have less of a need for a guy like Robinson because Peja's healthy and in his prime, but he's intriguing and you have to at least think about how he might fit in.

I know it's probably way over the top, given the fiscal state of the team, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings any if they brought in both Robinson and Trent.

Insomniacal Fan said:
MAN!

Why didn't we think of it before!?

Mateen was born to play PF/C behind Ostertag! :p
Maybe we should get him to sign with another team so we can use another couple of those pesky first round picks. Scouting is boring :)

Andriod_KiNg said:
Gary Trent would be good pick, above average D and O.K. shooting, he would be good off the bench.
well, I like the Kings to get Trent, mainly for his defensive..........but to me, he's not OK shooting, he's just little better than Otag.....
As for Eddie Robinson, he might be the best SF in the market right now......but from all his news, he seems like a player who cares money more than anything...

What's going on with Keon Clarke? Although he didn't have anything good to say about the Kings on his departure, we could use his rebounding and shotblocking. He has little offensive game but he could be a presence in the lane and would be a nice backup.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Keon Clark failed to show up FOR A SECOND TIME with a team that had shown interest in him.

Clark is no longer a viable alternative for any team in the NBA.

VF21 said:
Keon Clark failed to show up FOR A SECOND TIME with a team that had shown interest in him.

Clark is no longer a viable alternative for any team in the NBA.
I guess that rules him out. Ok I'm thinking either Gary Trent or Lonni baxter.