Interesting Waivers

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ES?SITE=TXSAE&SECTION=SPORTS&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

How about Bo Outlaw?

Nov 1, 7:01 PM EST

Grizzlies put 3 players on injured list

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- The Memphis Grizzlies waived veteran forward Bo Outlaw and guard Troy Bell, and placed Andre Emmett, Ryan Humphrey and Antonio Burks on the injured list Monday.

Outlaw, an 11-year veteran, averaged 4.6 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.1 assists and 19.6 minutes in 82 games last season. He was traded to the Grizzlies from Phoenix in September 2003.

Bell played six games with Memphis last season, averaging 1.8 points in 5.6 minutes. He was selected by the Boston Celtics as the 16th overall pick in the 2003 draft before his rights were traded to Memphis.

The Grizzlies open their season Wednesday against the Washington Wizards.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I've always like Bo. That one wouldn't bother me in the least either. There are some reasonable possibilities out there unless we're back in super cost-cutting mode.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
Bo is one of those guys that should be able to get decent offers based on his experience, and on his sheer size. He might be worht picking up but probably not what others teams may offer.

Outlaw is a valuable guy. I get the impression that whether he plays 20 or 5 minutes a game, he handles it like a pro. He's not the most talented guy, but he's a good garbage man, a pest on defense and competes hard. He knows his role.

I'm rooting for the Kings to pick up one more veteran. Right now, a third of their roster -- Barnes, Martin, Daniels and Evans -- are essentially rookies, and Courtney Alexander has played 187 games spread out over 5 seasons.

I'm all for bringing in some promising young players, but if you're going to contend for a championship -- and I still think the Kings can because things are so wide-open this year -- you need a bit more experience.

HndsmCelt said:
Bo is one of those guys that should be able to get decent offers based on his experience, and on his sheer size. He might be worht picking up but probably not what others teams may offer.
I'm pretty sure Bo's salary of about 5.5 million has to be paid by Memphis and it is guaranteed for this year. Memphis was going to have to eat someones contract because they had 17 guaranteed contracts. Once he clears waivers in a couple of days I would think he would latch onto a team for the vet minimum.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The other nice thing about Bo is his versatility. He's a 4 who can swing to 5 just based on pure tenacity, and can also swing on down to provide a physical presence at the 3. Could help patch a lot of holes for us, and maybe between a Bo/Barnes/Alexander trio Rick could have a player to spell Peja on any given night. Maybe not the same player every time out, but a couple of established vets and a hustling young guy whop he could plug in there according to matchups (Alexander for offense and against swingmen, Bo against the Josh Howard's of the world, Barnes for a jolt of energy etc.).

It could work (maybe)....but of course odds are that we probably won't sign him in the first place.

CruzDude

Senior Member sharing a brew with bajaden
And then there is "Yogi" Stewart who the Celts just put on their IR but he is not injured. Rebounds and blocks shots, started for the Kings for most of 1996 but now I think he makes $3m-$5m to sit on the bench. hmmm....

I'm not to high on Bo Outlaw. He's a professional and will do everything he can do to please the coaching staff and help his team win, but he doesn't fit any of our needs. He doesn't have the size to play center; he's actually an undersized power forward. And playing him at the three in the Western conference is a recipe for disaster. I'll pass. I'd rather take a flyer on Eddie Robinson, and I'd much rather pick up Gary Trent.

Superman said:
I'm not to high on Bo Outlaw. He's a professional and will do everything he can do to please the coaching staff and help his team win, but he doesn't fit any of our needs. He doesn't have the size to play center; he's actually an undersized power forward. And playing him at the three in the Western conference is a recipe for disaster. I'll pass. I'd rather take a flyer on Eddie Robinson, and I'd much rather pick up Gary Trent.
I like Trent but he got cut recently because he's out of shape. Also, Robinson seems to be a bad attitude guy and really hasn't done anything in the league since he got his huge contract. I like what Bo brings to the table.

Superman said:
They had 17 players under contract. Someone had to go, and Bo Outlaw was one of them. Troy Bell got sent packing as well.
I know Memphis ate Troy Bell's contract for this yr(1st rd pick) to keep Antonio Burks...I'm shocked by that...Burks is a speedy point who plays killer defense but has little offense, but I always thought Troy Bell would be a decent pro once he figured out how to run a team, since he is a 2 trapped in a 1's body.

thedofd said:
Outlaw is a valuable guy. I get the impression that whether he plays 20 or 5 minutes a game, he handles it like a pro. He's not the most talented guy, but he's a good garbage man, a pest on defense and competes hard. He knows his role.

I'm rooting for the Kings to pick up one more veteran. Right now, a third of their roster -- Barnes, Martin, Daniels and Evans -- are essentially rookies, and Courtney Alexander has played 187 games spread out over 5 seasons.

Not to nitpick but actually its 4 seasons, this is Courntey's 5th season this year.

Truconfidence said:
I know Memphis ate Troy Bell's contract for this yr(1st rd pick) to keep Antonio Burks...I'm shocked by that...Burks is a speedy point who plays killer defense but has little offense, but I always thought Troy Bell would be a decent pro once he figured out how to run a team, since he is a 2 trapped in a 1's body.
Hubie is a defensive-minded coach, and Troy Bell couldn't get on the court last season for a reason.

I just read on ESPN that Marcus Haislip was waived by Milwaukee. Guy was a lottery pick 2 years ago but couldn't seem to find the floor. Tremendous athlete that could probably play back up minutes at the 4. Not the best offensively but could block some shots and rebound the ball.

Ryle said:
I just read on ESPN that Marcus Haislip was waived by Milwaukee. Guy was a lottery pick 2 years ago but couldn't seem to find the floor. Tremendous athlete that could probably play back up minutes at the 4. Not the best offensively but could block some shots and rebound the ball.
Is this guy still out there??? We could use an athlete upfront for a few minutes.

Ryle said:
Is this guy still out there??? We could use an athlete upfront for a few minutes.
He's definitely worth a look, although word probably spreads fast around the league. I remember his name coming up in a few trade proposals, but neve rhappeneing. And now he's getting waived, and when you're a big man, that's tough to do.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ryle said:
Haislip...Not the best offensively but could block some shots and rebound the ball...
The last thing we need is another "tremendous athlete" who hasn't panned out and isn't much good on offense.

Kev.in said:
I saw Haislip in a summer league once, he looked clueless.
Oh yeah...Sign him up now! /sarcasm

Clueless, can't play offense, waived by the Bucks for God's sake.