Harrison Barnes

I sort of agree about waiting until FAgency over paying Barnes, however, I don't think we are playoff bound unless some move is made at the SF position. An upgrade at center should also help.
I read somewhere that New York will likely buy DeAndre Jordan out?? I'm curious if he could be had as hes younger than Gasol. Willi can take a back seat, be traded, or walk in this case.

Last edited:
I'd rather keep the $25 mil and head into FA. I don't expect a big name, but there's really productive role guys that we can certainly be in play for: Bojan Bogdanovic, Noah Vonleh, Tyus Jones, Al-Faroq Aminu, TJ McConnell, MKG, Trevor Ariza. Give me 2 (maybe 3?) of these guys any day of the week over Barnes.
Are we certain Barnes opts in?

Not at all that interested anymore with Dallas not having any assets left for us to eat the Barnes contract. He's barely a league average player that costs $25 million. You'd get the same production from giving JJ 30+ MPG at 1/25th the cost.
I think that's key. If you're taking 25mil off a competitor that wants cap room - there should be a sweetener.

I've greatly cooled over the years on Barnes. I am not sure he makes much of an impact for your team.

I try to remember a "Harrison Barnes" play that is worth remembering and I cannot think of one. He goes out, does some things and will switch on defense. I also think he still thinks he's a 20 million dollar guy.

I'd rather keep the $25 mil and head into FA. I don't expect a big name, but there's really productive role guys that we can certainly be in play for: Bojan Bogdanovic, Noah Vonleh, Tyus Jones, Al-Faroq Aminu, TJ McConnell, MKG, Trevor Ariza. Give me 2 (maybe 3?) of these guys any day of the week over Barnes.
When in the past has the kings ever made a splash or even a trickle in free agency. Or big signings this year was picking up two guys that backed out of their previous signings. Kings usually get their guys in trades or the draft.

I sort of agree about waiting until FAgency over paying Barnes, however, I don't think we are playoff bound unless some move is made at the SF position. An upgrade at center should also help.
I read somewhere that New York will likely buy DeAndre Jordan out?? I'm curious if he could be had as hes younger than Gasol. Willi can take a back seat, be traded, or walk in this case.
I'd take a swing at this. DeAndre knows his role and would be everything we wanted Willie to be. WCS for a starting SF and DeAndre and we are playoff bound

Let's not kid ourselves here, Harrispn Barnes would be a huge upgrade to shumpert and jackson
But unfortunately you have to also consider things such as $$ and fit. Is the $$ worth the perceived upgrade? And does he fit? One thing I remember during his time with GSW was he wasn’t the most clutch player in the world.

I’d rather the KINGS stick with what they’ve got for now and hope get someone better than Harrison Barnes. He doesn’t move the needle.

When in the past has the kings ever made a splash or even a trickle in free agency. Or big signings this year was picking up two guys that backed out of their previous signings. Kings usually get their guys in trades or the draft.
That's the point, don't go after the "splash names" like Middleton, Harris, Klay, etc and focus on the role guys from day 1. There are some really good role guys in this FA class that fit extremely well with our core and make us a much, much better team next season. If we're aggressive on these lesser-known names, we can really fill in the holes on the team and secure our depth for next season.

When in the past has the kings ever made a splash or even a trickle in free agency.
This stance is always silly to me. So just because they haven’t means they should give up trying?

The Sacramento Kings haven’t ever won a title or even reached the NBA Finals either. Should they stop trying for that too?

This stance is always silly to me. So just because they haven’t means they should give up trying?

The Sacramento Kings haven’t ever won a title or even reached the NBA Finals either. Should they stop trying for that too?
Not give up, just find a better way. Free agency has never/rarely worked in the past so why keep trying it that way? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Small market teams in general get better through the draft and trades. That should be our bread and butter. Once we build a playoff caliber team, then strengthen with free agents willing to come here for a title, cuz they ain't coming for our night life.

We seem to be in a situation that we want a great piece in a trade and only want to give up cap, expiring or players that not even we want.

I just don’t see to many takers on that but it would be a waste with all that and not consider a trade that includes players like WCS, beli or Bogdanovic if we can pick up a big name player or two and not the ones mentioned so far.

Maybe we can sign a couple nice players over the summer but our track record with that lately hasn’t really been great.

I would even settle for trying for a decent trade if we could get a lottery pick and maybe a player that would help us now.

That's the point, don't go after the "splash names" like Middleton, Harris, Klay, etc and focus on the role guys from day 1. There are some really good role guys in this FA class that fit extremely well with our core and make us a much, much better team next season. If we're aggressive on these lesser-known names, we can really fill in the holes on the team and secure our depth for next season.
Can you make a list of these Role guys in this FA Class for Me and Vlade - Are any of them SFs?

So with Otto off the table, I don't see many options at SF for us
Harrison Barnes - have seen where Dallas may want to free up space for FA this summer , and they gave away their picks
so maybe we can get him for expirings and a 2nd rd?
Taurean Prince - Atlanta wants a lot I saw Pick and a young player - really?
WCS, Skal,Yogi, Mason take your pick plus a 2nd?
Last FA we tried on LaVine and Parker, lost out on both, they both really didn't work out on their teams
This year we try for Middleton = loose out, Bojan will get resigned by Pacers, will have a bunch of cap space
but everyone else will too

If our cap space was not used last year, not used at trade deadline with expirings
I just don't see where we are going to find a SF of our dreams
I hope Vlade has a plan

Not give up, just find a better way. Free agency has never/rarely worked in the past so why keep trying it that way? The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Small market teams in general get better through the draft and trades. That should be our bread and butter. Once we build a playoff caliber team, then strengthen with free agents willing to come here for a title, cuz they ain't coming for our night life.
You cite the insanity saying but aren’t acknowledging that they have landed good FA’s before. When they were winning.

Well, they are beginning to win again. They also have a state of the art arena with top facilities. They also have great chemistry and a style of play players around the league love and have taken notice of.

In short, things are much, much different in Sacramento than they have been which is making it much more possible to acquire meaningful players via FA.

Don’t be so negative! :p;)

I'm curious what the Mavs game plan is and how it relates to Barnes. With Porzingis likely out the rest of this season and gutting the team to get him are they happy to move Barnes for a better shot at a good draft pick or does that pick now belong to New York.

2019 Round 1

Mavericks

Hawks (protected top 5)
PICK WOULD TRANSFER BECAUSE MAVERICKS PICK IS CURRENTLY NOT IN TOP 5
Traded • rights to Luka Doncic to Mavericks for • rights to Trae Young • first round pick (protected top 5 in 2019-20, top 3 in 2021-22, unprotected in 2023) (?-?) on 2018-06-21

So Mavs loose the 2019 pick , unless it is in top 5
Mavs do not plan to play Porzingis the rest of this year
So getting rid of Barnes might help them tank to get a top 5 Pick
Plus would clear space for a FA Move this summer

So next season Mavs could have Luka,Porzingis,a top 5 pick,and room for a free agent

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
2019 Round 1

Mavericks

Hawks (protected top 5)
Traded • rights to Luka Doncic to Mavericks for • rights to Trae Young • first round pick (protected top 5 in 2019-20, top 3 in 2021-22, unprotected in 2023) (?-?) on 2018-06-21

So next season Mavs could have Luka,Porzingis,a top 5 pick,and room for a free agent

Yeah, they seem to be going the Kings route of retaining their pick. I think for them that extra space is more valuable than the pick even. If the Kings took on Barnes then they have a ton of space to go into the next season ready to contend possibly.

"According to a league source, [the Mavs] now will set their sights on a summer addition of a 28-year-old center ... 7-foot Orlando center Nikola Vucevic ... an unrestricted free agent

Another reason to clear Barnes contract off the books

2019 Round 1

Mavericks

Hawks (protected top 5)

Thanks for that. Sounds like moving Barnes would be in their plans.
Taking on Barnes bloated contract, as others have already mentioned, would be nicer for us with added sweetener. After their trade this might require Vlade getting real creative with another team involved.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Here is an article from Dallas that says Barnes is a ball stopper and black hole.

https://hoopshabit.com/2018/12/05/h...f-play-is-a-problem-for-the-dallas-mavericks/

The Kings need ball movers and a 3 and D small forward. I don't think Barnes fits that mold.
Here's the thing, in his four years with the Warriors, he wasn't a black hole. He played the same way they did with ball and player movement. Sometimes how a player plays is dictated by the coach and his offensive scheme. On the Warriors he was at best the 3rd option, with Dallas there are times when he's been asked to be the 1st option.

Similarly, in his four years with the Warriors he averaged a defensive rating of 105, which is pretty good. With Dallas he's averaging a defensive rating of 111. Why the difference? Well, Dallas isn't a very good defensive team and that reflects through all the players. It's highly possible that if he were on the Kings, and was asked to revert back to how he played on the Warriors, you'd see a different player. Everything isn't black and white. Players don't forget how to defend, or move the ball. They tend to do what's asked of them.

Here's the thing, in his four years with the Warriors, he wasn't a black hole. He played the same way they did with ball and player movement. Sometimes how a player plays is dictated by the coach and his offensive scheme. On the Warriors he was at best the 3rd option, with Dallas there are times when he's been asked to be the 1st option.

Similarly, in his four years with the Warriors he averaged a defensive rating of 105, which is pretty good. With Dallas he's averaging a defensive rating of 111. Why the difference? Well, Dallas isn't a very good defensive team and that reflects through all the players. It's highly possible that if he were on the Kings, and was asked to revert back to how he played on the Warriors, you'd see a different player. Everything isn't black and white. Players don't forget how to defend, or move the ball. They tend to do what's asked of them.
I think Golden State Barnes would be perfect for this team. I'd even give him a more shots. I think Barnes' black hole label is a little bit unwarranted. It's what happens when you push a non-franchise player into that role.. same as Rudy Gay in Toronto. If Barnes can find his medium, he'd be a positive asset on that contract.

Can you make a list of these Role guys in this FA Class for Me and Vlade - Are any of them SFs?

So with Otto off the table, I don't see many options at SF for us
Harrison Barnes - have seen where Dallas may want to free up space for FA this summer , and they gave away their picks
so maybe we can get him for expirings and a 2nd rd?
Taurean Prince - Atlanta wants a lot I saw Pick and a young player - really?
WCS, Skal,Yogi, Mason take your pick plus a 2nd?
Last FA we tried on LaVine and Parker, lost out on both, they both really didn't work out on their teams
This year we try for Middleton = loose out, Bojan will get resigned by Pacers, will have a bunch of cap space
but everyone else will too

If our cap space was not used last year, not used at trade deadline with expirings
I just don't see where we are going to find a SF of our dreams
I hope Vlade has a plan
Ball-Handlers:
Tyus Jones (RFA)
Terry Rozier (RFA) Although I think he gets a massive offer from PHX that prices a lot of teams out.
Patrick Beverly
T.J McConnel
Tomas Satoransky

Wings:
Bojan Bogdanovic
MKG (PO) Not sure what he'll decide here. Probably wants to go somewhere he can start.
Jeremy Lamb
Trevor Ariza
Kelly Oubre (RFA)

Bigs:
Noah Vonleh
Nerlens Noel (PO) But after a nice year so far, no chance he accepts it.
Richaun Holmes

Something like this would be my big board heading into the offseason. Really good players that we actually have a chance to acquire but wont hamper our ability to maintain the core.

From what I've seen, defensive rating can only be compared to the rest of the players on the team. The stat doesn't really apply to cross comparisons of different teams. Barnes was ranked 2nd to last in defensive rating in both of his last 2 seasons on the Warriors. So while the number itself looks good, that's only because the Warriors team as a whole was a good defensive team. He's also 2nd to last on the Mavericks this year for the players who have played an average amount of minutes.

I thought he was a solid roleplayer during his last 2 years on the Warriors but he makes a heck of a lot of money to be brought over as a roleplayer and I can't see him reverting back to playing like that after being able to jack up a ton of shots the last 3 years. In the end I feel like he would make our defense even worse and take shots away from more efficient players.

I think the Kings need to get a small forward who brings something that the team doesn't already have. They already have a lot of guys who like to shoot the ball but they need toughness, defense, rebounding and IQ. When I think of Harrison Barnes I don't really think of any of those things. I think of a guy who just lets the ball fly.

Ball-Handlers:
Tyus Jones (RFA)
Terry Rozier (RFA) Although I think he gets a massive offer from PHX that prices a lot of teams out.
Patrick Beverly
T.J McConnel
Tomas Satoransky

Wings:
Bojan Bogdanovic
MKG (PO) Not sure what he'll decide here. Probably wants to go somewhere he can start.
Jeremy Lamb
Trevor Ariza
Kelly Oubre (RFA)

Bigs:
Noah Vonleh
Nerlens Noel (PO) But after a nice year so far, no chance he accepts it.
Richaun Holmes

Something like this would be my big board heading into the offseason. Really good players that we actually have a chance to acquire but wont hamper our ability to maintain the core.
So the Small Forwards , Yes I Like Bojan and Oubre
but Pacers are gonna re-sign Bojan
Maybe we can overpay Oubre enough that Suns don't match?

Ball Handlers - no
Bigs - Noah only if WCS gone

Great win tonight against Sixers , But Our SFs got 8 pts total for both
We need a SF!!!!!!!

Really would rather go after
A. Porter
B. Barnes
C. Prince and Lin

Last edited:
Some here say Dallas needs to add sweetner for us to take bloated contract?
you want to give them JJ?

Fine if they want a young prospect they can have Skal or Mason, LOL
Cause it makes. Sense for them to hit give Barnes away thy stop have 30+ mill in cap space with Barnes. They’re not disparate to move him addin JJ maybe gives them an incentive. It’s not like JJ is some big piece for us to lose. If we got Barnes in these said deals without giving up JJ, JJ wouldn’t even play