[GSW/DAL] "We're going to go like hell."

More like 1 in 10 or 20 given the opponents.

Teams that win that Game 7 are typically of equal stature with the team they beat. Not upstarts depending on a gimick that will have to have been figured out for it to even reach Game 7. Game 7s are a low percentage for even the really good road teams. Now you are the Warriors and have already shot your wad by Game 4...you are pretty much depending on the Mavs choking in a big big way.
"Typically of equal status" - but throw that out concerning the W's. They are not only of equal status or roughly equal status with the Mavs (in these playoffs) the key is they've beaten Dallas something like 8 of the last 10 times they've played them. The simply are not your average #8 seed, kinda like the Artest on a mission Kings maybe were not your run of the mill #8 seed last year against the mighty Spurs - taking them to 6 games. NO WAY the W's have "already shot wad" by game 4 now with a commanding 3-1 lead. They now smell blood and the Mavs just can't figure them out - Dirk realized it by game 3.

Last edited:
You can keep going with your theories though, if you like. But they are theories based upon your own perceptions and prejudices at this point and not really anchored with actual numbers.
As the Warriors demonstrated to the Mavericks, numbers and statistics and odds sometimes don't really mean a hell of a lot

On the other hand, it is difficult to beat any team the NBA 3 times in a row and that is what Dallas is looking at.
would just like to point out that this isn't exactly the playoffs to be making that claim, considering there have been three sweeps (chicago, detroit, cleveland), and two three-in-a-rows (san antonio, new jersey). ;)

would just like to point out that this isn't exactly the playoffs to be making that claim, considering there have been three sweeps (chicago, detroit, cleveland), and two three-in-a-rows (san antonio, new jersey). ;)
would just like to point out that just becuase it has happened 5 times in recent history does not make it any less true. ;)

Stats aside, how did the Mavericks get into this situation? They look like the old Mavericks out there. What's Don Nelson doing to the Mavericks head?

Mavs started out hot tonight, but GSW has battled back to get within 2 points in the 3rd quarter. The Mavs have at some points had 18 point leads during this game 5.

having watched the whole series so far. just NOW it occurs to me...that there is no one on the warriors that i would trust with the ball in their hands, at any given moment, other than baron davis.

its either him, or inexperienced youth, or bad decision makers. thats gotta be kind of a burden. or maybe i'm blowing this out of proportion? if i was a warriors fan, i'd be constantly stressed out.

having watched the whole series so far. just NOW it occurs to me...that there is no one on the warriors that i would trust with the ball in their hands, at any given moment, other than baron davis.

its either him, or inexperienced youth, or bad decision makers. thats gotta be kind of a burden. or maybe i'm blowing this out of proportion? if i was a warriors fan, i'd be constantly stressed out.
It is a bit stressful, but I've resigned myself to the fact that this is precisely how they operate. You have to completely rid yourself of your preconceptions about what is and is not a good shot at any given time.

wow, Josh Howard just picked up his 5th foul early in the 4th, so he will be sitting for the next few minutes at least. Howard has been the Mavs best offensive player to this point in Game 5.

Matt Barnes just put his 15th and 16th points on the board to give the Warriors a 1-point lead early in the 4th quarter. Barnes has been huge.

6 minutes left in the 4th, and neither JHo or Dirk have scored for the Mavs. Of course, JHo has had foul trouble.

GSW up 103-102 with the ball.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Dirk looks completely terrified. This is really pretty embarrassing for a guy who's probably going to win the MVP. There is a star out there with balls, but its the guy with a beard. Dirk...just wow. He makes anything Webb did in his pre-2002 years look positively clutch by comparison. He look s like he just wants to go home to mommy.

50" High Definition TV $1500
Comcast cable subscription $80
Seeing the owner of HDNet and Dallas Mavericks reaction as his team falls apart.... priceless.

Dirk looks completely terrified. This is really pretty embarrassing for a guy who's probably going to win the MVP. There is a star out there with balls, but its the guy with a beard. Dirk...just wow. He makes anything Webb did in his pre-2002 years look positively clutch by comparison. He look s like he just wants to go home to mommy.
I think so too..... kinda reminds me of Peja back in the days.... :(

It's really strange, at least to me. When the Mavs weren't actually contenders in the early 2000s, Dirk's playoff averages were absolutely gaudy. Since that 2-0 none lead in the NBA Finals last year, Dirk has not been the same type of playoff performer.

And, for the MVP of the league to have 2 shots and 4 points in the second half of an elimination game is absolutely ridiculous. No person on the Mavs is without blame for this scenario imho.

It's really strange, at least to me. When the Mavs weren't actually contenders in the early 2000s, Dirk's playoff averages were absolutely gaudy. Since that 2-0 none lead in the NBA Finals last year, Dirk has not been the same type of playoff performer.

And, for the MVP of the league to have 2 shots and 4 points in the second half of an elimination game is absolutely ridiculous. No person on the Mavs is without blame for this scenario imho.
So looks like DWade's comment about Dirk was right..... there's no fire in his eyes.... he doesn't look like he wants to, or he will be able to, put the team on his shoulders and win the game for them.

Terry and Stackhouse look more like a leader than Dirk.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

I like that Peja comparison -- you couldn't force Dirk to take a shot right now if you wanted too. And he'd probably airball it if you did.