[GSW/DAL] "We're going to go like hell."

I'm not a sports psychologist, just a fan, but I think there's a big difference between blowing a 9pt lead that you've actually maintained vs. hitting a few threes and giving up a few threes to go up and down in the span of a few minutes in a game that you've otherwise been trailing all night. I'm also not sure if I like the fact that Dallas retook the lead by jacking up some ugly looking 3s if I'm a Dallas fan.

I agree with you 95% - but still, a 9 pt lead with 3 minutes left is a nine pt lead with 3 minutes left.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I agree with you 95% - but still, a 9 pt lead with 3 minutes left is a nine pt lead with 3 minutes left.
Duly noted. I think either way it becomes a major storyline for the remainder of the series - either Dallas won but couldn't win by enough to demoralize the Warriors or Golden State had them on the ropes but couldn't close the show.

Duly noted. I think either way it becomes a major storyline for the remainder of the series - either Dallas won but couldn't win by enough to demoralize the Warriors or Golden State had them on the ropes but couldn't close the show.

Ha - you know, the fact we're even having this conversation is a major credit to the Warriors and I shouldn't forget that.

The thing is that GSW almost gave Game 4 away at the end behind a couple of Dirk 3s and not hitting their free throws. Baron Davis made only one of two with a three point lead, and I was thinking to myself that those are the types of plays that 8 seeds don't convert, and it comes back to haunt them.

It didn't in that game, but down the stretch tonight, not converting did cost GSW a first round series win. They had the Mavs on the ropes...they just had to throw the knock-out punch, but they couldn't connect for the last 3.5 minutes. It's very difficult to dispatch with the #1 seed for a reason, and GSW found out tonight exactly why.

And even though there are two games left, Game 6 seems to me to be a must win for GSW. They have their crowd, and they are playing for a piece of history. If that isn't enough to get it done, I have a hard time seeing a road team as bad as GSW was this year winning a Game 7 in the AAC.

The other concern for GSW is that Dirk may have been shaken out of his series-long slumber. He's the best offensive player in this series, even if he hasn't been playing like it, but if he does start playing like the MVP, I don't think GSW will prevail.

I have a hard time seeing a road team as bad as GSW was this year winning a Game 7 in the AAC.
Everything you said was reasonable even though I could argue a point or two with you, but this quote is downright absurd. Again, hopefully for the last time - the W's are not a normal 8th seed. Without significant injuries to two primary starters this season for long stretches they would have likely gotten a 7th or 6th seed. They have beaten Dallas REPEATEDLY at home and away winning 6 of 7 against the Mavs before tonights CLOSE loss.

Once again, Baron Davis and Jason Richardson combined missed more than half this season with injuries for GSW. I picked the W's in 7 before this series started, now an amazing 300+ posts into this thread because I liked the favorable match ups - knowing the NBA is all about match up and coaches taking advantage of them.

One last thing. Remember all those repeated long winning steaks the Mavs went on this season. The longest was 17 games and guess who (hmmm?) ended the streak and did it at Dallas 117-100 (leading by 31 pts after 3 quarters!) The Warriors - repeat the W's have had the Mavs number for a helluva long time. This series should not be totally shocking - an upset yes if it happens. And if the Mavs can get up off the mat and record a three game win streak to win in 7 so be it.

Warriors "bad road team," - not all that bad it seems!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If fan support can make the difference, the Warrior fans will simply not allow their team to lose game 6. I predict Oracle will be rocking from the moment the Warriors come out for pre-game warmups and won't stop. And, for what it's worth, I can't help but think that Nellie may have one or two tricks left up his sleeve.

As far as the sports psychology business goes all I have to say is a well-coached team eith a huge home court advantage can bounce back from anything.

I seriously doubted whether the Kings could come back after blowing a 17 point lead against the Lakers in Game 4 of the WCF and watching Horry drain the game winner. When the Horry shot went it, I thought we were done. I never gave up rooting, but I thought we were done.

But what happened- Rick had the team ready to go, told them to put the game behind them and play their game. Arco was CRAZY for game 5, the Kings came out and played their game. They ended up taking a Game 5 many didn't give them much of a chance in.

The point is that losing like the Warriors did doesn't mean they have no shot in Game 6. Nellie will have the ready to go, and the Arena will be rocking. Plus, everyone seems to think that Dallas will have all of this confidence because of this win- in truth I think they will feel more lucky than confident. This game was not the dagger to the Warriros that some think...l

the stephan jackson ejected was the lamest thing i've ever heard of. he got ejected for CLAPPING. are you freaking KIDDING me? meanwhile jason terry uses both elbows to THROW baron davis to the FLOOR and he only gets a flagrant foul? no ejection? if he doesn't get suspended for that, the league is truly being biased. jackson's ejection should be reviewed as it was CLEARLY unwarrented.

dallas is in big trouble. they got bailed out tonight. lest we forget they gave up a TWENTY ONE point lead at HOME in an elimination game. golden state flat out gave that game away. seriously, i would have no faith in the mavs in a game 7. they were up 21 at HOME! they let the warriors fight back and go up by 9!!!! how the heck is that a realiable team?

GS gets game 6. oracle is going to sound like arco did during the WCF run a few years ago. bank on it

Everything you said was reasonable even though I could argue a point or two with you, but this quote is downright absurd. Again, hopefully for the last time - the W's are not a normal 8th seed. Without significant injuries to two primary starters this season for long stretches they would have likely gotten a 7th or 6th seed. They have beaten Dallas REPEATEDLY at home and away winning 6 of 7 against the Mavs before tonights CLOSE loss.
I understand that GSW wasn't playing with it's full complement of players the entire season, so their overall road record may be misleading. Still, I'm not sure the point about GSW being as good as a 6 or 7 seed is relevant --- the Nuggets are down 3-1 to the Spurs, and the Lakers are down 3-1 to the Suns right now. I'm not anticipating either team getting up off the mat against their opponents, and in truth I don't think GSW would've done much better against the Spurs or the Suns....Dallas is just their dream matchup, so they are taking full advantage.

One last thing. Remember all those repeated long winning steaks the Mavs went on this season. The longest was 17 games and guess who (hmmm?) ended the streak and did it at Dallas 117-100 (leading by 31 pts after 3 quarters!) The Warriors - repeat the W's have had the Mavs number for a helluva long time. This series should not be totally shocking - an upset yes if it happens. And if the Mavs can get up off the mat and record a three game win streak to win in 7 so be it.
I'm not a die hard Mavs fan, but if I were I'm sure I'd have a relatively reasonable explanation for why the Mavs performed so poorly against GSW during the regular season this year. At the very least Dallas sat its key players against GSW in the last game the two teams played in the regular season, and I seem to recall that one of the other games didn't feature a full complement of Mavs' players (although I cannot recall who).

But you are right about the matchup problems which GSW causes for Dallas, and if anything is going to get GSW into the second round, it will be those matchup problems. However, I'd be surprised if GSW shoots the ball as well from 3-point land again this series. Game 5 to me was their game for the taking, and they failed to take it. Game 5 was the type of game a lower seeded, relatively inexperienced playoff team cannot afford to let slip through
its fingers, but they did just that.

I seriously doubted whether the Kings could come back after blowing a 17 point lead against the Lakers in Game 4 of the WCF and watching Horry drain the game winner. When the Horry shot went it, I thought we were done. I never gave up rooting, but I thought we were done.

But what happened- Rick had the team ready to go, told them to put the game behind them and play their game. Arco was CRAZY for game 5, the Kings came out and played their game. They ended up taking a Game 5 many didn't give them much of a chance in.

The point is that losing like the Warriors did doesn't mean they have no shot in Game 6. Nellie will have the ready to go, and the Arena will be rocking. Plus, everyone seems to think that Dallas will have all of this confidence because of this win- in truth I think they will feel more lucky than confident. This game was not the dagger to the Warriros that some think...l
Unfortunately, Game 5 didn't win the Kings the series like it should have, and as we all painfully recall, the Kings couldn't close out the Lakers in the last two games for a variety of reasons (officiating, Shaq's best free throw shooting stretch of his life, the Kings worst free throw shooting game at the worst possible time, etc.). When I look back at that series, Game 4 is the killer. That is the game in that series the Kings should have won, and had they done so, Game 6 and Game 7 would've never been an issue in the first place.

I see Game 5 tonight as the same type of game for GSW. If they end up losing the series, no matter what happens in Games 6 and 7, they will have to look back at the game where they had a 9 point lead with under 4 minutes left and they couldn't close the deal. They shouldn't be thinking about Game 6 right now...they should be out celebrating one of the biggest surprises (to many, if not to most/all) in NBA playoff history.

You are right that GSW still has two shots to finish off the Mavs, but I am guessing that they had their best shot in Game 5. I'll be watching to see if GSW proves me wrong.

amen. the warriors did not look rattled last night throughout the game (foolish on some plays, yes, but i think that's just their style). they came back from a huge hole on the road, and could've put this one away. i think they are going to be more pissed than anything for game 6. go warriors!

Unfortunately, Game 5 didn't win the Kings the series like it should have, and as we all painfully recall, the Kings couldn't close out the Lakers in the last two games for a variety of reasons (officiating, Shaq's best free throw shooting stretch of his life, the Kings worst free throw shooting game at the worst possible time, etc.). When I look back at that series, Game 4 is the killer. That is the game in that series the Kings should have won, and had they done so, Game 6 and Game 7 would've never been an issue in the first place.

I see Game 5 tonight as the same type of game for GSW. If they end up losing the series, no matter what happens in Games 6 and 7, they will have to look back at the game where they had a 9 point lead with under 4 minutes left and they couldn't close the deal. They shouldn't be thinking about Game 6 right now...they should be out celebrating one of the biggest surprises (to many, if not to most/all) in NBA playoff history.

You are right that GSW still has two shots to finish off the Mavs, but I am guessing that they had their best shot in Game 5. I'll be watching to see if GSW proves me wrong.
Baron Davis fould out on a phantom foul call where he didn't even touch his man and Jackson gets thrown out because Ken Mauer(who has suffered from short mans disease for many years) doesn't like him clapping. This gives Stern the opportunity to suspend Jackson for the next game and will give the Mavs the advantage so they can possibly make it to game 7 since all the other series aren't going very well or at least aren't exciting.

Welcome to the NBA playoffs Warriors fans!!! ;)

Suspending Stephen Jackson for Game 6 would completely invalidate one of the truly classic series in NBA history and for what, clapping. You gotta be kidding!!

I predict Oracle will be rocking from the moment the Warriors come out for pre-game warmups and won't stop.

Yeah, Oracle will be insane. I am thinking about placing a seismometer on my sidewalk Thursday night to see just how insane it is down there.

Stephen Jackson will NOT be suspended

Breaking news:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/05/02/sports/s124734D68.DTL

I'm laughing at Avery Johnson right now, that the pressure's all on Golden State. So, if the Warriors win game 6 (I think that's a longshot, by the way), does that mean Cuban will call Stern and ask them to extend the series to nine games? Will Cuban demand that he gets to ref the game?

What a DUMB statement. The pressure's all on Dallas, going into the Oracle Snakepit, with losing meaning they get to make a tee-time this Sunday.

I sort of like GS's chances here. When the Lakers beat the Kings, the Kings had 2 chances to win 1; the Warriors have 3 chances, and that's huge.

If they lose tomorrow, I think the odds are seriously against them in game 7.

If GS wins tomorrow, well, there ain't gonna be no game 7.

Someone explain to me why there isn't more pressure on Dallas TOMORROW. Game 7, I get it, the pressure is worse for the Warriors, but only because of the venue.

Breaking news:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2007/05/02/sports/s124734D68.DTL

I'm laughing at Avery Johnson right now, that the pressure's all on Golden State. So, if the Warriors win game 6 (I think that's a longshot, by the way), does that mean Cuban will call Stern and ask them to extend the series to nine games? Will Cuban demand that he gets to ref the game?

What a DUMB statement. The pressure's all on Dallas, going into the Oracle Snakepit, with losing meaning they get to make a tee-time this Sunday.

I sort of like GS's chances here. When the Lakers beat the Kings, the Kings had 2 chances to win 1; the Warriors have 3 chances, and that's huge.

If they lose tomorrow, I think the odds are seriously against them in game 7.

If GS wins tomorrow, well, there ain't gonna be no game 7.

Someone explain to me why there isn't more pressure on Dallas TOMORROW. Game 7, I get it, the pressure is worse for the Warriors, but only because of the venue.
I think there is more pressure on Dallas, of course, since they're the number one seed.

However, I don't think Golden State will play as loosely as they have in the first 5 games of the series since they're actually playing for something now and they really stand to lose something if Dallas somehow pulls it out.

I think in a way it's demoralizing the way they lost last night. I honestly think it would have been better for them to lose by 30, or to lose a close one after trailing the whole game, instead of going up by 9 with 3 minutes left and pulling a complete choke job.

I like Golden State to win, but I wouldn't put it out of the question for the Mavs to find a way to pull it out.

Betting line odds tonight. Dallas favored over GS: 2 1/2 pts. Over/Under: 208 pts.

Also tonight Houston favored over Utah: 4 1/2 pts. Over/Under: 184 pts.

Lines on both games have shrunk a bit in past 24 hrs (Houston by 5, Dallas by 3 earlier).

GS will win tonight. If you are a betting man (or woman), I would take that bet. Easy money. The crowd at the Oracle will take the Mavs out of this game. We have seen it at Arco. We will see it tonight.Go Warriors!