George Karl, Mark Jackson or ??? (merged)

I've got a question to those more knowledgeable than myself. I only know of Chris Mullin as a player, I don't follow Golden State closely at all. Can I get some insight as to why everyone is so terrified to have him as HC? Everyone has to have their first HC gig at some point right?
you need to ask? organically grown bay area nellie ball. who do you think is planting all those ludicrous schemes to vivek?

I would prefer George Karl, but I don't understand the hatred for Mark Jackson.

He did coach the Warriors to 47 and 51 win seasons and the playoffs, just two years after they won only 20 something games.

He helped develop Curry and Thompson and the Warrior players were all sad when he got fired. He did not get along with the FO, but from what I had heard, he had the players respect.

He was also recommended by Jerry West as coach.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but much better than Vinny Del Negro, Tyrone Corbin or Chris Mullin.

I could live with Mark Jackson, he could help develop Ben and Nik's game.
I would like some insight into this as well. I posted in another thread that I did/do not follow GS closely so I don't understand the hate. I know about his questionable character from what we know of his adultry and about his supposedly devout religion that he may have preached in the locker room but that's about it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Of course the FO would deny it they also said DMC knew about malone being fired. Don't believe a word they say why would Bill just make this up.
Because he's Bill Simmons and he's trying to rehab his reputation after being suspended from ESPN for being a tool?

Jackson is certainly better than Ty or Mullin. Kerr benefits from his work over the past two seasons. He did a good job developing Curry, Thompson and Green. He couldn't lead the Warrios deep into the Playoffs, but don't forget that Bogut, Ezeli were out in 2014 and they still took the Clips to Game 7. And 2013 Lee was injured.
Mark Jackson is annoying and there are questions, if he is just a motivator and the actual coaching was up to his assistants, but he had some success as a headcoach so i won't be upset if he is introduced as our new coach.
The change wasn't neccessary at all, but the moment we fired Malone it was done and now it's all about limiting the damage.

At least Mark Jackson is better than Mullin. but yea let's fire our coach who had a good relationship with his players and not have a back up plan. Stupid gerbil, go back to your cage, idiot. Curious to see what stupid metaphor ranadive comes up with next too.

The olny hire that can minimeze the damage here is someone at the level of George Karl or Jeff Van Gundy (who wouldn't fit their vision). The question is whether Vivek is willing to pay around $5 million per season for a coach!

Mike Malone is a very good coach and if you are replacing him then it has to be an upgrade and not a lateral move!

I know this flies in the face of all reason, but maybe the front office hasn't reached out to George Karl because they are serious about waiting and seeing how Ty Corbin does at the helm.
I want to believe them too, but I think the reason Karl has no offer is because they are negotiating with someone else.

Sounds like Mark Jackson, says the rumor mill.

I really don't believe for one minute they're going to give Corbin a chance unless they can't get anyone else.

Well he did know we would trade for Rudy Gay

He knew our new owner/FO would try to make splash moves

And he knew the new owner would meddle in the basketball business
He also, correctly, called Goodell the liar he is now proven in a court of law to be.

THAT, is what he was suspended for, calling Goodell (one of the most powerful men in sports) a liar. Simmons rep is just fine, cause the things he was suspended for turned out to be true.

I mean, if being a tool wasn't allowed, Skip Bayless would be out of a job.

Don't know much about Jackson except he led the Warriors to where they are today. That is saying a lot. The Warriors appear to be better this year. But will it last? It is not my place to judge the sins of another. I try not to hold things about someone's personal life against them unless it involves violence of some kind. I like that he is a person of faith.

I would prefer Karl. But I wouldn't be upset if we got Jackson.

I would prefer George Karl, but I don't understand the hatred for Mark Jackson.

He did coach the Warriors to 47 and 51 win seasons and the playoffs, just two years after they won only 20 something games.

He helped develop Curry and Thompson and the Warrior players were all sad when he got fired. He did not get along with the FO, but from what I had heard, he had the players respect.

He was also recommended by Jerry West as coach.

He wouldn't be my first choice, but much better than Vinny Del Negro, Tyrone Corbin or Chris Mullin.

I could live with Mark Jackson, he could help develop Ben and Nik's game.
Because Kings already had the brains behind that "Make Warriors good and relevant operation". When Malone left for Kings, Warriors failed to make a jump ahead despite having another year of NBA and playing together experience, also Bogut playing 35 more games. Plus Jackson was expecting Malone to unseat him, so he was happy, when Mike left, but learning his lesson refused to hire any good assistants, fearing one of them would be his natural successor.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
BREAKING!

Ex Golden State coach tapped by Kings. Photos from press conference attached below:

Cheap, likes to duck and chuck, spineless and political, flashy, thinks he's smarter than he is, AND former Golden Stater? There was really only ever one answer.

What happens if another coach comes here and starts winning while defying the demands of the FO? Do they think they could fire another coach because he doesn't fit the philosophy? I believe they're going to be stuck with whoever the next hire is. You can't fire the next coach if he's a yes man because it reflects that the FO's philosophy is wrong and you can't fire a coach who wins and doesn't follow the FO's philosophy.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
on Jackson BTW, not quite the end of the world. Self promoting arrogant jackass, and my real concern with that is that Cuz isn't likely to tolerate a fool. On the other hand, he's stubborn, arrogant, and insular, and unlikely to be swayed by know nothing owners. In fact he might lock them out of practice. And if the only thing he is good at is yapping and getting a team to follow him, well, that might be the most important question right now. Not having the x's or o's to matter in the playoffs is a much different issue far down the line.

I was one of those who, now looking kinda silly, actually thought the Warriors made a mistake firing Jackson.

This is a much better choice than Mullin or VDN. Karl would be preferable, but Karl can't be had for less than top money. That check book is open, but not enough to pay top money to a coach as well as still paying the old one.

Maloofian for that to be a factor, but Jackson may actually be a decent choice in the short to longish term. Kerr looks like some kinda of genius right now, but Jackson built that. Several posters here could coach that warriors team to 55 wins right now.

The irony is that many warriors fans thought Jackson's success was due to Malone's work on the defensive side of the ball, and Malone's success here was seen as due to Corbin's work (by some). And now we are looking at Jackson (I don't care what anyone says, the kings are at minimum looking at Jackson as a possible coach, which seems to be further than they got with Karl).

All in all, things could be a lot worse. Jackson is great motivator, and had those Warrior teams willing to run through a wall for him. It's a better choice than VDN or Corbin, and might be exactly the kind of motivator that could get this semi-talented team playing back to where they were before Boogie went down. It really comes down to what Boogie thinks. If Boogie likes Jackson, then I like Jackson.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
In a lengthy interview, George Karl talked to ESPN yesterday. Unfortunately, I couldn't listen, but I did hear Kreidler in the intro to the interview say that Karl intimated that the Kings job probably wasn't in the cards. (If anybody heard the interview, please provide some details).

The only guy that interests me is Karl. According to Kreidler, the stats (That's for you, Vivek!) show a pretty amazing success level for Karl in turning around teams in the short and intermediate term.

I don't have any idea of who the Kings are going to hire, but I do know that the next hire is going to speak volumes about the nature of this organization going forward. If they hire a strong individual like Karl, it will lead to the hopeful belief that Vivek has learned something from this fan rebellion (and possibly the team's poor performance) and is willing to have the self-discipline to let that HOFer do his job as he sees fit. Karl will not be micro-managed. On the other hand, if he hires a suck-up like Mullin, then it's just a long, slow road down to Hell. No doubt, PDA will have a lot of influence in the hiring process. And the nagging thought that I have is: Who do suck-ups like PDA hire? Other suck-ups, that's who! It's a troubling thought.