George Karl, Mark Jackson or ??? (merged)

ockingsfan - you're touching on the thing that has me so emotional over this firing - the condescension of Pete D'Alessandro toward the fan base. I mean the very idea that the fans would sit still for firing Malone during a losing streak WHILE DMC WAS OUT ... that we all couldn't attribute the DMC-less Kings losses to the fact that Pete has a deficient roster - but we would all just go along with putting it at the feet of Malone... it is insulting.

I stuck with Pete through the Tyreke, Landry, Gay, IT moves (agreed with some - on the others I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt). But his scuzzy maneuvering behind Malone's back - the fact he tried to hire his replacement (Gentry) to work on his staff - I mean Pete D'Alessandro is a scumbag man, that's all there is to it. I just hope he has a reckoning some day - I think he is ethically bankrupt and Vivek needs to get rid of him before the stink rubs onto him.

The answer is yes, but the greater issue is I'm not sure he'd want to, despite his public quotes, and this is part of the issue of Malone's firing not operating in a vacuum.

The few, and it's really only a small, select few, who have defended this move have also failed to understand the wide-ranging implications of what just happened. PDA and Vivek made this coaching position extremely unattractive. Their very public comments about we want our coach to do this or do that, with the recent example of "if you don't, you'll get fired at any time", on top of evidence of heavy FO and ownership meddling, such as Vivek giving orders to play Royce White or not playing Sessions/Nik enough, really could see any coaching candidate worth his salt telling PDA/Vivek to **** off if they're approached with a job offer.

Everything suggests Malone was fired because he resisted FO and ownership meddling and demands, and everything going forward suggests the next candidate would have to mold to the ridiculous expectations of this FO and ownership. Why would a guy like Karl come on board in a situation like that? He'd expect the opposite, more control, more ability to implement his system and what he wants to do, and he has the resume to demand exactly that. Instead as we saw last night, our FO is basically coaching this team through a patsy, where we saw sudden changes from the 12 man gameday roster to the rotation to a change in tempo and less organized defense, and a clear representation of Corbin doing what the FO and ownership wants.

How do people think our position looks within coaching circles around the league? We already have the Gentry example where he didn't like the implication of coming in and replacing Malone during the season, as it's a back-stabbing move and he instead told Malone what the plan was, then went to GS. We've got Pop taking shots at our FO and ownership. Then there's what happened to Malone which brings this to another level altogether. Coaches are a fraternity, they look out for each other and don't like when their role in an organization and this sport is disrespected, as the head coaching position has been here. The role of a head coach is not to be a patsy for a clueless FO and hands-on owner who wants a "Jazz director".

What are we left with? Probably an at best average coach who might never see a head coaching job offered to him around this league again outside this mess, a guy like VDN, or a guy with no track record who will get his first shot at coaching a team, like Mullin. But any coach with clout and a proven resume is going to expect control and the ability to turn around a sinking ship as he sees fit. That this franchise is sinking and our FO/owner are giving a very public message that they want more control and more input, really handicaps us. I btw think a number of coaches would jump at the opportunity to coach Cuz, but in seeing what's happening here will wait until PDA has been removed, or until both PDA/Vivek learn their lesson and quit meddling.
Very well said.

For any reasonable person, then yes. Karl is the obvious choice.

For Vivek, he wants someone that he can control. Someone that plays the exact style that he wants and along the way, if he wants to tweak something, all he needs to do is call the coach and the coach will implement it.

Basically Vivek wants to coach the team himself but can't because he is the owner. So he wants a puppet. Karl is not a puppet so they are looking at all the other options out there that will allow them to have that kind of control. The truth is, only a weak and inexperienced coach would accept such a job. Almost like when Phil Jackson hired Fisher and told him what offense to install. But even then, I don't think Phil will intervene as much as vivek wants to.

I really wish Vivek would hide from a tape recorder or camera right now. This job becomes less and less desirable by the day. He's exposed himself as pliable and weak. With a vision no one else sees for this team. Worse, he even claimed to not have any idea who Royce White is. "I don't even know who Royce White is,” Ranadive said. (credit to sacbee). No one in the world is going to believe that a meddling owner doesn't know who his players are.

I think on Monday Karl was a possibility. After all the interviews? The next coach would have to be very very desperate to come into this situation, knowing the owner will fire the coach based on whatever the GM says and that the GM is dictating who to play, what kind of offense to run, etc. The candidate almost has to come from within that inner circle or they're just as doomed as Malone was.

And everyone knows it.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I cannot imagine Karl entering a team like this.
I can.

Because George Karl has turned around teams before. He has the confidence in his coaching abilities to do it and he wants to coach in the NBA again. There are only 30 of those jobs available and the Kings have some dysfunction but they also have a talented player in Cousins and some intriguing pieces in Gay, Collison, McLemore etc

My bigger fear is that somehow D'Alessandro thinks Mullin is a better option. Considering that he apparently thinks Corbin is a better option than Malone, I wouldn't rule that out.

Question for you guys:

Do you think the Kings will let Ty Corbin ride out the entire rest of the season or will they be bringing in a new coach as soon as possible?
If they do I can hear the lottery balls bouncing already......

I have no idea why Karl has not been contacted and negotiations at least started on a contract. Karl is exactly what PDA says he wants in a coach PLUS Karl is a known factor that can maximize little talent into playoff team. None of this makes sense if they did not have a replacement waiting in the wings. It smacks of a power play by PDA and THAT is unacceptable. We need harmony in the front office and so far there has been none.

If PDA rides out another BAD season with Corbin, then what do you make of the claim by the Front Office that they want to build a winner and they want to win now? Corbin is a terrible coach. he was a terrible coach in Utah, and he will continue to be a terrible coach here. He was a last minute choice by Malone to fill a vacancy that the front office was trying to fill with a ready made replacement for Malone. So now they are gonna start saving money by riding out a losing season with a losing coach and WASTE a year of Gay and Cousins careers without a chance at the playoffs ? They MUST hire a coach that can take this team to the next level and they MUST do it this year. If not all their talk about building a winner is just that..... Talk....

N - O - S - K ! New Owners Same Kings !

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I can.

Because George Karl has turned around teams before. He has the confidence in his coaching abilities to do it and he wants to coach in the NBA again. There are only 30 of those jobs available and the Kings have some dysfunction but they also have a talented player in Cousins and some intriguing pieces in Gay, Collison, McLemore etc

My bigger fear is that somehow D'Alessandro thinks Mullin is a better option. Considering that he apparently thinks Corbin is a better option than Malone, I wouldn't rule that out.
Achhhh! He expects Corbin to have a better w/l record and not necessarily that Corbin is better. Corbin is a better option, which I think is a great choice of words, because he will do what Vivek wants. No????

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Achhhh! He expects Corbin to have a better w/l record and not necessarily that Corbin is better. Corbin is a better option, which I think is a great choice of words, because he will do what Vivek wants. No????
If he thinks the team will win more games under Corbin and coach the team in the style that Pete thinks is better for the team, doesn't it follow that PDA thinks Corbin IS a better coach?

Frustrating.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
If they do I can hear the lottery balls bouncing already......

I have no idea why Karl has not been contacted and negotiations at least started on a contract. Karl is exactly what PDA says he wants in a coach PLUS Karl is a known factor that can maximize little talent into playoff team. None of this makes sense if they did not have a replacement waiting in the wings. It smacks of a power play by PDA and THAT is unacceptable. We need harmony in the front office and so far there has been none.

If PDA rides out another BAD season with Corbin, then what do you make of the claim by the Front Office that they want to build a winner and they want to win now? Corbin is a terrible coach. he was a terrible coach in Utah, and he will continue to be a terrible coach here. He was a last minute choice by Malone to fill a vacancy that the front office was trying to fill with a ready made replacement for Malone. So now they are gonna start saving money by riding out a losing season with a losing coach and WASTE a year of Gay and Cousins careers without a chance at the playoffs ? They MUST hire a coach that can take this team to the next level and they MUST do it this year. If not all their talk about building a winner is just that..... Talk....

N - O - S - K ! New Owners Same Kings !
I suspect Karl has been contacted and for once, it is kept secret. There st least has to be a contact because if not, Vivek is batcrap crazy. Aren't people confused that there is not even a rumor that Karl has been contacted?

We're not getting Karl its going to be Mullin. George Karl said he's interested if we are interested but I don't think PDA will let another head strong guy interfere with him. Then when we get Mullin he's going to convince Vivek to fire PDA.

"It's going to happen"

-American Me-

Glenn

Hall of Famer
If he thinks the team will win more games under Corbin and coach the team in the style that Pete thinks is better for the team, doesn't it follow that PDA thinks Corbin IS a better coach?

Frustrating.
No. Vivek thinks that Vivek/PDA are the better coaches and they need a coach to follow their directions.

I think Vivek needs to give a presser. Our guesses as to what is going on are not friendly towards him. I'd like to know if he has learned anything.

G

GQ_Gabriel

You guys are making me depressed. So much negativity, understandably so, but the pessimism is so toxic it's contagious. I don't feel good. :confused:

Glenn

Hall of Famer
You guys are making me depressed. So much negativity, understandably so, but the pessimism is so toxic it's contagious. I don't feel good. :confused:
Sorry. How long have you followed this team? I first saw them when they were showed off to the public in the downtown auditorium and I had my young son with me. It was 1985. I doubt if my son saw anything but I remember struggling to see the team and saw Otis Thorpe. He seemed tall :) I think I was most concerned about losing my son as I had him by my hand. Nive memory.

Now my son knows more about basketball than me. I hope he has some nice father/child moments.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I do think people seem to be underestimating Corbin a little. He's certainly never proven he's a 400 win type coach, but he was in the playoffs a couple of years ago. He's not Kenny Natt. Riding it out with him is not the same thing as guaranteeing 25 wins. Given the right team, he can win 40.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Sorry. How long have you followed this team? I first saw them when they were showed off to the public in the downtown auditorium and I had my young son with me. It was 1985. I doubt if my son saw anything but I remember struggling to see the team and saw Otis Thorpe. He seemed tall :) I think I was most concerned about losing my son as I had him by my hand. Nive memory.

Now my son knows more about basketball than me. I hope he has some nice father/child moments.
I wouldn't rush to judgment about a statement like that.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Why would we need Karl when Pete himself said that it's not about wins and losses? In serious talks though, why the interest in a Chris Mullin/Marc Jackson when they both...like Malone, have had minimum coaching experience prior to their hiring? I guess this is what happens when you bring a Golden State and Denver guy in...it's all about offense offense offense...not thinking outside the box here. If they roll with Corbin the rest of the year, it shows the character of Pete...just let the guy finish the year out in that case and let him know your looking to go in another direction, not like this...why do I have a feeling this will hold us back another year? just this idiocy.

Since the firing of Malone, I've seen at least 5 times when ESPN, Fox Sports, Blecherreport etc put a dubious looking picture of Vivek with headlines such as "Kings Owner Wants to Go to the Four Seasons".

People are laughing at Vivek and its clear as day. How many different analysts has one way or another mocked his 4 on 5 cherry pick idea? He is making a fool of himself and it is only going to get much worse if he doesn't hire George Karl and instead hires Mullin or Del Negro.

As we can all see, just because he was successful in tech, it doesn't mean he knows jack about how to be the owner of a major sports team and deal with the media scrutiny that comes along with it. I know he is new at this and it takes time to learn how to be king. Ok, then listen to the guys that knows better than you and let them do their job. Instead, vivek fires that one that was doing a decent job and now wants to hire a puppet so he can coach the team behind the scenes.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
People are laughing at Vivek and its clear as day. How many different analysts has one way or another mocked his 4 on 5 cherry pick idea? He is making a fool of himself and it is only going to get much worse if he doesn't hire George Karl and instead hires Mullin or Del Negro.
Yes people are laughing, we're a ****ing joke right now. I've come across stuff like this.

But I admit, I did laugh.

G

GQ_Gabriel

You're definitely a part of that rare breed of our beloved Kings fans who have literally been there to experience it all from the start. I was born in 1992, so during our peak years as the greatest show on the court, I wasn't old enough to really comprehend or analyze basketball. All I have memories of are my Uncles leaving the house furious that we had been defeated by the Lakers in the playoffs. As a teenager, I attended various basketball camps where I met the likes of Mike Bibby, Kenny Thomas, Etc, and even managed to convince Ron Artest to be a guest speaker in my classroom when I was a freshman. I remember that I must have been 12 or so years old when Joe Maloof came up to me and handed me a 20 dollar bill for making my free throws. At the time, the rumbles about our team moving had just begun so as a child with a sense of humor I hesitated and asked if he could still afford to keep them in town. (True story :D) Anyway, long story short, since then I've always felt emotionally attached to the franchise as they have played a big part of my life. This recent taste of success felt so good, and to have it turn back around so abruptly is depressing. ):

Last edited by a moderator:
No. Vivek thinks that Vivek/PDA are the better coaches and they need a coach to follow their directions.

I think Vivek needs to give a presser.
oh god he will just ramble and make more people laugh at us.

"We have a vision of NBA 3.0. Our team will run like a well oiled Jazz Band. We plan to make a trip to the Four Seasons. Chris Mullin always wins the 3pt contest in our training camp so he should be the next coach. And have you guys seen Nik Stauskas? Stauskas? STAUSKAS?"

I can.

He's not a young man, so I don't see him jumping into any situation. Plus I remember he was fired, exactly because he wanted more control, though that might have been limited to a demand to extend him and his staff immediately at that moment.