George Karl, Mark Jackson or ??? (merged)

If they hire a strong individual like Karl, it will lead to the hopeful belief that Vivek has learned something from this fan rebellion (and possibly the team's poor performance) and is willing to have the self-discipline to let that HOFer do his job as he sees fit.
Was there actually a fan rebellion outside the internet? Just curious, cause i couldn't tell if the boos at the last game were directed to PDA and Vivek or to the poor performance.

Don't know much about Jackson except he led the Warriors to where they are today. That is saying a lot. The Warriors appear to be better this year. But will it last? It is not my place to judge the sins of another. I try not to hold things about someone's personal life against them unless it involves violence of some kind. I like that he is a person of faith.

I would prefer Karl. But I wouldn't be upset if we got Jackson.
I think it's less Mark Jackson hatred than it is seeing this pattern of ex GSW castoffs. At least that's what it is for me. It's unsettling to know that no matter what direction the team tries to take, it will always run through one source. Which means you already know what the end result will be, and it won't be a championship.

Hiring Mark Jackson would again mean that we can identify when the front office lied to us. Saying they were behind Corbin, and after his first game, meeting with his replacement. Then telling us it was just a conversation between friends.

I think it's less Mark Jackson hatred than it is seeing this pattern of ex GSW castoffs. At least that's what it is for me. It's unsettling to know that no matter what direction the team tries to take, it will always run through one source. Which means you already know what the end result will be, and it won't be a championship.

Hiring Mark Jackson would again mean that we can identify when the front office lied to us. Saying they were behind Corbin, and after his first game, meeting with his replacement. Then telling us it was just a conversation between friends.
How can you be so sure, that GS won't win a championship? And how is the chance with an approach thats resembling GS but has a dominant Big Man as a halfcourt option. I know things are very emotional right now, but take into account, that there isn't only one way to build a contender or only one way to play, if you want to win a championship.

How can you be so sure, that GS won't win a championship? And how is the chance with an approach thats resembling GS but has a dominant Big Man as a halfcourt option. I know things are very emotional right now, but take into account, that there isn't only one way to build a contender or only one way to play, if you want to win a championship.
If they win a championship, it won't be with the cast of characters that we're assembling. The ones we have are the ones that DIDN'T work. This is not the same as taking coaches from a championship teams coaching tree.

Cousins is a dominant big man in he half court offense, but remember that we want to run and gun. Not play half court offense.

G

GQ_Gabriel

That's
Only because you asked ...

Cousins looked good last night. He was clearly retaking control of HIS team and he made sure everyone knew he was gonna be all over them if they didn't play with the same passion and commitment he's playing with. That's very important.

Corbin didn't make some of Malone's patented mistakes. His rotations were tight, although it was obviously due in part to the absence of Casspi and Evans. He did a better job of managing minutes (although it was clear he wasn't going to able to keep Cousins off the floor too long).

The team is bonding together even more than before. The loss of Malone could create even a stronger bond.

Jason Thompson had a bad night against a crew without bigs. I don't think he has regressed; his matchups just sucked.

The team needs the support of the fans right now. The symbiotic relationship between them and us has to remain strong. If it does, I think they'll weather this storm.

I truly believe Corbin is here for the rest of the year. And I do not think Mullin will become the next coach for the simple reason (as I stated elsewhere) that he's got a pretty good position right now as Grand Vizier.

How's that? :)
That's what I like to read. In the midst of so much negativity, wise words of encouragement can go a long way. We have been through a lot, as kings fans, we're going to be there for our team through thick and thin. Thanks ☺

According to Bruski money is the issue for Karl they obviously don't want to pay him.
They fire Malone without a replacement lined up, then have an issue with paying the far and away top candidate for the style they want, who's almost begging for the job?

Winning clearly isn't the priority here. Who'd have thought we're not even two years out from Vivek/PDA taking over and already they're pushed winning to the side. It's all a bunch of BS. They're not even serious about the style they want to employ.

Actually, the only priority appears to be not winning at all costs, by firing Malone before Cuz got back and not allowing the team to get back to its early season success.

Last edited:
They fire Malone without a replacement lined up, then have an issue with paying the far and away top candidate for the style they want, who's almost begging for the job?

Winning clearly isn't the priority here. Who'd have thought we're not even two years out from Vivek/PDA taking over and already they're pushed winning to the side. It's all a bunch of BS. They're not even serious about the style they want to employ.
I fear the Kings are trying to ensure that the team keeps their pick next year, ala the Warriors and the year before drafting Barnes. Maybe they knew Malone wouldn't go for it (especially since he witnessed it a couple years ago).

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawaka...eep-their-pick-the-rewards-of-proper-tanking/

I'm dying that Karl gets the job, but after seeing his comments regarding anthony davis (his first pick to build a franchise around, over king james!) shakes my confidence about his potential future relationship with boogie...

In a lengthy interview, George Karl talked to ESPN yesterday. Unfortunately, I couldn't listen, but I did hear Kreidler in the intro to the interview say that Karl intimated that the Kings job probably wasn't in the cards. (If anybody heard the interview, please provide some details).

The only guy that interests me is Karl. According to Kreidler, the stats (That's for you, Vivek!) show a pretty amazing success level for Karl in turning around teams in the short and intermediate term.

I don't have any idea of who the Kings are going to hire, but I do know that the next hire is going to speak volumes about the nature of this organization going forward. If they hire a strong individual like Karl, it will lead to the hopeful belief that Vivek has learned something from this fan rebellion (and possibly the team's poor performance) and is willing to have the self-discipline to let that HOFer do his job as he sees fit. Karl will not be micro-managed. On the other hand, if he hires a suck-up like Mullin, then it's just a long, slow road down to Hell. No doubt, PDA will have a lot of influence in the hiring process. And the nagging thought that I have is: Who do suck-ups like PDA hire? Other suck-ups, that's who! It's a troubling thought.
Here's the interview.
http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=12053495

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Was there actually a fan rebellion outside the internet? Just curious, cause i couldn't tell if the boos at the last game were directed to PDA and Vivek or to the poor performance.
Boos at a game are too diffuse of a measurement. Like you say, you don't know who they are directed toward. Based on the volume of internet and radio discussions, I think it's safe to say there is a rebellion. Also, based on my personal anecdotal conversations with friends and associates, people are not happy with this move. The only way to make amends is hire a coach who is a proven winner and make it known that ownership will not micromanage going forward.

How do you pic
I'm dying that Karl gets the job, but after seeing his comments regarding anthony davis (his first pick to build a franchise around, over king james!) shakes my confidence about his potential future relationship with boogie...
That's gonna be everyone's 1st pick when you consider our clown FO. The better teams that fire coaches the closer we get to Mullins.

A possibility is that they are letting Mark Jackson talk leak to put pressure on Karl to lower his asking his price. You hear all these coaching names, but there's a sizable gap between Karl and Jackson or VDN. Those names could be there just for contract fighting.

If they win a championship, it won't be with the cast of characters that we're assembling. The ones we have are the ones that DIDN'T work. This is not the same as taking coaches from a championship teams coaching tree.

Cousins is a dominant big man in he half court offense, but remember that we want to run and gun. Not play half court offense.
I certainly hope nobody with any sense for basketball wants to turn our team into a mindless run and gun show. The way I understand it, when i manage to keep my emotions in check, is, that PDA wants a team, that plays at a faster pace und more fluidly offensively. I guess it's all about finding a balance between playing fast and getting DMC enough touches on the low block.

Right now we don't know, where this will end. So since i have no choice after all, i just wait and see and hope for the best. :oops:

In a lengthy interview, George Karl talked to ESPN yesterday. Unfortunately, I couldn't listen, but I did hear Kreidler in the intro to the interview say that Karl intimated that the Kings job probably wasn't in the cards. (If anybody heard the interview, please provide some details).

The only guy that interests me is Karl. According to Kreidler, the stats (That's for you, Vivek!) show a pretty amazing success level for Karl in turning around teams in the short and intermediate term.

I don't have any idea of who the Kings are going to hire, but I do know that the next hire is going to speak volumes about the nature of this organization going forward. If they hire a strong individual like Karl, it will lead to the hopeful belief that Vivek has learned something from this fan rebellion (and possibly the team's poor performance) and is willing to have the self-discipline to let that HOFer do his job as he sees fit. Karl will not be micro-managed. On the other hand, if he hires a suck-up like Mullin, then it's just a long, slow road down to Hell. No doubt, PDA will have a lot of influence in the hiring process. And the nagging thought that I have is: Who do suck-ups like PDA hire? Other suck-ups, that's who! It's a troubling thought.
The way I look at it is this, if Vivek is genuine about surrounding himself with people smarter than him (and I don't believe this gibberish for a second) and if he is after a splashy hire, then he hires George Karl. George is certainly smarter as a basketball coach than any of the 3 musketeers behind sacking Malone and he has 1000 wins to prove it.

Now of course, George Karl will cost him around $5 million a season. With that price tag you get a very good coach with a proven track record but he also doesn't tolerate fools so any mingling in basketball coaching would be swatted away repeatedly. I am convinced that this is NOT what they want. They want a yes man, a lap dog that will lap up all the ridicilous ideas that the 3 musketeers come up with.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Malone is a very good coach, the players love him and played for him but he suffered no fools and that is the reason he is gone. If Kings want an upgrade then they will need to pay for a very good coach and one of those costs around $5 million a season. That's double of what Malone was on. Just like with everything in life, mistakes cost you.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
the next coach is going to be mully. vivek was begging him to take the job after malone was fired.
Again, WHY would Mullin take the job? He already has a much nicer job without pressure. Do you have a source for your contention that Vivek was "begging" Chris Mullin to take the job?

Again, WHY would Mullin take the job? He already has a much nicer job without pressure. Do you have a source for your contention that Vivek was "begging" Chris Mullin to take the job?
I hope Mullin doesn't take it for that reason, and I also suspect it is far easier to lead Vivek in his current position than it would be becoming his lab rat as a coach and installing the ridiculous 4-5 defense with a stupid cherrypicker. If Mullin is serious about coaching at any point in his career, this WILL NOT be a good starting point because when Vivek's ideas fail (and fail they will, hard), he will never be able to get another coaching job again because of sheer embarrassment.

The source was ESPN. It was on their ticker on Tuesday. Theydidn't use the word "begging" but it did say something along the lines of spending the last 24 hours trying to convince Mullin to take the job.

I know that doesn't make it true, but it didn't come from some random blogger.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
We'd have to be GSEast.
This is why I refuse to refer to "Golden State" as if it's a city :) They may call themselves the Golden State Warriors but until they move, they play in Oakland. It may not be world famous but it is a real place. I was born in the East Bay, although I didn't grow up there, so I'm not ashamed of it like most of California appears to be...

In short, I think Pete thinks he's much smarter than the fan base and that he doesn't need to care what they think.
Can you blame him if he really thinks that way? After all, it would not be the fans who will get judged at the end of every season.

Also, I don't know anybody among us FANS having any meaningful experience in any NBA front office. Maybe a lot of us want to be in or pretend to know more, but has anyone in this board really done any NBA front office job?

Have you?

Last edited: