Gametime Thread Rockets vs Kings in Shanghai

C-Webb looked good. He even took the ball up the court on a few fast breaks! I hope his knee can hold for the season. Also, Webb looked much skinnier... And LOL@ the Kings holding up in the tunnel while Liu went out...

sloter said:
Well, we should get ready for plenty of losses this year.
I'd only agree with that if we had Wei as are backup pg instead of bobby, Christe and Ostertag out the whole year, and if our starters only play about 26 minutes per game.

oh.. and if some of you were wondering, Bobby and Minard didn't play because Adelman wanted to give Wei time tonight.

One other thing I liked (and correct me if I am wrong) It looked like Pedja took the ball straight to the rack and almost dunked in the first quarter!

piksi said:
I was not sure where to put this but somebody might be interested:

GERALD WALLACE G 45 10-20 0-0 6-8 2 10 12 5 4 2 3 1 26

Yes it is a preseason game but still not bad.
That isn't bad...did you notice that Antawn Jamison played 55 minutes for the Wiz in this preseason game? The minutes look like a regular season game for both of these teams, which is quite comical...

EDIT: Anthony Peeler had 19 for the Wizards as well, and GW took more shots than any other player in the game other than Jarvis Hayes.

4cwebb said:
That isn't bad...did you notice that Antawn Jamison played 55 minutes for the Wiz in this preseason game? The minutes look like a regular season game for both of these teams, which is quite comical...

EDIT: Anthony Peeler had 19 for the Wizards as well, and GW took more shots than any other player in the game other than Jarvis Hayes.
FYI Kobe clocked 42 min for Van Gundy in a preseason as well. Of course Van may have jsut beeen trying to get teh guys used to playying with Kobe since that will be the name of the game in LA this year.

HndsmCelt said:
FYI Kobe clocked 42 min for Van Gundy in a preseason as well. Of course Van may have jsut beeen trying to get teh guys used to playying with Kobe since that will be the name of the game in LA this year.
dont you mean Rudy T instead?

Just finished watching the game. Kings looked good overall, especially the starters in quarters 1 & 3.

I was very pleased with Webber's performance, but I did not think he looked great. He looked to me like pretty much the same guy as last year. He had a few games where he performed well, and that's what he looked like in this game. His movement still looked slow and awkward. I'm a little disappointed, but it's obvious he can be very effective despite that. I'll take 66% shooting and 11 rebounds every day, especially in 24 minutes.

Stojakovic also looked a little like he did at the end of last season. Not as active and not as mobile. Miller looked good, and he did outperform Yao, which is all you need from him when playing the Rockets.

I'd say my overall impression of the team from this one game is that they'll start the season playing a lot like they did at the end of last year. That is not a bad thing, in my opinion. It might not look as pretty but it can still be effective like it was in this game.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Hmmm...that's odd because actually I thought Webb looked much better physically than last year. He was smooth, not favoring either side, didn't seem to be conscious of the leg at all on defensive closeouts, led the break -- just sort of playing.

Didn't see him jump, but didn't really see anyplace where he would have normally. I think people have somehow developed a bit of a false memory about what he used to look like back when relatively healthy -- he has always, in his recent years at least, pranced a little, moved a little more gingerly than you might hope, rebounded flat-footed half the time. He's never just charged around out there. But when, as in this game, he feels comfortable enough to chase guys out on the perimeter or square up his man at the top of the key, do the crossover dribble thing and then blow by him toward the rim...well, that's about all its reasonable to ask at this point I think.

uolj said:
I was very pleased with Webber's performance, but I did not think he looked great. He looked to me like pretty much the same guy as last year. He had a few games where he performed well, and that's what he looked like in this game. His movement still looked slow and awkward. I'm a little disappointed, but it's obvious he can be very effective despite that. I'll take 66% shooting and 11 rebounds every day, especially in 24 minutes.
Compared to last year's mobility he does look great. It still looks a little awkward but he was able to keep up with the break pretty well, even pushing the ball up court. His quickness is much better compared to that hobbling man we saw last year.

I might be wrong.

When I think of Webber looking great, I think of him actually jumping (I know he didn't do this all the time before), and I think of him driving by people. Last night, while effective, he had noticably less athleticism than he did before the surgery. This not a bad thing, but I just don't think it was great. Good, yes, not great, in my opinion.

Unfortunately I already deleted my recording so I can't go watch it again. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I just finished watching.

I have just a couple of comments:

1. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For the end of the third quarter shot.

2. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For being able to watch the Kings play after an interminably long TDOS.

3. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For seeing a Kings rookie (Kevin Martin) with so much enthusiasm and potential. This kid needs a nickname - either quickdog or flash. I swear I saw him in two places at once at least twice.

4. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! For having the game on tape.

I LOVE THIS TEAM!!!

As for the Kings, Sacramento looks like Sacramento. Throw a healthy Doug Christie into that mix when he returns, and add Bobby Jackson, and Sacramento is tough. I thought C-Webb is coming around. He looks a lot better than he did at the end of last season when he came back. He’s still not as fluid and doesn’t have all of the things that we are accustomed to. Last season, I would say he was 50 percent when he came back. Right now I would say he’s about 80 or 85 percent and that’s a big jump for him.

Kenny ''The Jet'' Smith

http://www.nba.com/china2004/blog_smith.html