[Game] Game 9: Sacramento Kings @ Memphis Grizzlies, 11/13/14

The best cure for a headcold:

• Total voters
Yes. You're right. The refs totally made JT forget to guard the rim.
The point is that these kinds of rules exist for a reason and in this particular game and situation one of the rules wasn't acknowledged. Our team would deserve to be ridiculed even if they had left with a win which is what this game should be for the Kings.

As a ref you can't cost teams a win by failing to implement an existing (and in this case a well known one) rule.

I agree that the call was questionable, but Ben has to convert his FT's and JT has to be awake on a decisive play. The Kings had every Chance to win it, they deserved to win it, but made just too many mistakes down the stretch.
After all the one serious Problem over the last games was, that Cousins is in foul trouble sooner or later.
And that's what i don't get. In the beginning the Ref's seem to be fine with our physical play, but during the game they suddenly change their approach and call even little contact, resulting in Cousins spending long stretches on the bench and the well deserved lead falling apart.
Art least this is the way i view it. But i'm a fan of physical Basketball so i may be wrong and the ref's do a consistant job.
We can't change officiating so Cousins needs to learn how to stay on the floor.

I was in a place where I couldn't hear the game. Only watch. I was talking with friends when Ben was on the free throw line that Ben should miss the second shot no matter what, because it would leave Memphis with no time to get a shot off. Do we know if he was told to miss on purpose?

* Never mind. Heard Carmichael Dave say the second free throw was missed on purpose.

Last edited:
This is turning out to be some kind of interesting psych experiment. On one hand you've got those that attribute this loss to the ref teams failure to implement a rule.
You mean failure to uphold the rules?

I also find it interesting to see people contorting themselves into pretzels trying to justify the loss, or should I say BLAME the loss on the Kings. Me? I'm a pretty black and white person. And when you have an instant replay system to "get it right" and STILL GET IT WRONG? And won't correct the wrong, for some unexplained reason? Well, that's a lack of integrity in my book.

You mean failure to uphold the rules?

I also find it interesting to see people contorting themselves into pretzels trying to justify the loss, or should I say BLAME the loss on the Kings. Me? I'm a pretty black and white person. And when you have an instant replay system to "get it right" and STILL GET IT WRONG? And won't correct the wrong, for some unexplained reason? Well, that's a lack of integrity in my book.
I agree that regardless of what happened up until the final play of the game, there is a system in place to ensure that that final call is made correctly. Just do your job.

I'm all for taking responsibility for my own actions, but this isn't about whether the Kings should have been in that position in the first place. There is not a single game that goes by that a team that lost can't say what they should have done better. It's about this one play at that moment in time that decided the final outcome.

We didn't deserve the loss. This was a win. I guess we need Mike Perara in the house for the refs. It's like telling me we didn't deserve the W vs the Suns, so it doesn't count. It all counts. This should've been our W. Stupid refs.
At the end of the day, the Grizz had a chance to win because the Kings failed to remove said chance (FT's, blown defense, blown lead, etc etc). They opened the door for this to happen, and we all know we cannot rely on officiating to win games for us.

Heck, I'd settle for the NBA just saying "whoops" and letting it be. Simply carrying on like the situation was carried out perfectly isn't going to work.
It's always worked in the past. In fact the NBA is the LEAST responsive league to Officiating mistakes. They could care less what anyone has to say about their officials. Even though they continue to get worse and worse. The replay system they have is Utter NONSENSE. What good does it do to include New Jersey if all they do is provide additional viewing angles of a play? The Decision is STILL made by the 3 BUFFOONS on the court who made the bad call to begin with. Until they go to an NFL/MLB model where the final call is made in New Jersey, the NBA will always be extremely suspect.

I was in a place where I couldn't hear the game. Only watch. I was talking with friends when Ben was on the free throw line that Ben should miss the second shot no matter what, because it would leave Memphis with no time to get a shot off. Do we know if he was told to miss on purpose?

* Never mind. Heard Carmichael Dave say the second free throw was missed on purpose.
If that was his attempt to miss on purpose, in order to take time off the clock,...well, he needs to work on that. That shot nearly went in and it came off soft, right into their hands on the low block.

Hard to imagine that a good shooter can't intentionally "ram" the ball into the rim so that it takes a hard bounce

If that was his attempt to miss on purpose, in order to take time off the clock,...well, he needs to work on that. That shot nearly went in and it came off soft, right into their hands on the low block.

Hard to imagine that a good shooter can't intentionally "ram" the ball into the rim so that it takes a hard bounce
Good shooter.....

It's harder to miss a shot on purpose and make it bounce exactly how you want it to than what you think. You can't just reach back and fire the ball off the backboard either. That's a violation.

Good shooter.....

It's harder to miss a shot on purpose and make it bounce exactly how you want it to than what you think. You can't just reach back and fire the ball off the backboard either. That's a violation.
Not really. If you actually focus on the bottom portion of the front of the rim, it's actually fairly simple to shoot a hard flat shot into it...and create an awkward deflection

Concerning JT on that last play, the part that is most disturbing, is that he still didn't seem to realize what had happened when Lee was within a few feet of the rim and pass had already been released. No glance back, no indication of a possible fatal mistake. It appeared that he was so locked into Gasol, that he had tunnel vision and nobody else mattered. o_O

The Kings are not comfortable yet being a winning team. In the last two games they have invented ways to lose.

Forget the refs. You cannot expect to win in the NBA giving up 30 or more points for 3 quarters in a row.

The lack of defense on the last play cost the Kings the game. Doesn't if make sense to protect the rim with only 0.3 sec left?

The Kings also ran out of gas at the end and stood around. Different substitutions? Better conditioning? Save something for the end?

Last edited:
I religiously watch nba daily zap and daily top 1o everyday, but not today. After reading and seeing a few clips of what happened last night, I don't feel watching any of it.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

Well

1) don't believe that is more than Dave speculation. It was an entirely natural looking stroke,, and was actually closer than the first one. Rattled around inside the rim before popping out.
2) if he did miss it on purpose he did it wrong. You are trying to catapult those things out so they take time off the clock.

4th vid on this list. Watch how the second one is missed. Looks natural. He did glance over toward the sidelines between them, but its not clear if he was looking at our bench, and the advice could as easily have been "make it":

http://on.nba.com/1ulM5oo

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
2) if he did miss it on purpose he did it wrong. You are trying to catapult those things out so they take time off the clock.
The clock doesn't start until the ball is touched. A clang might make it less likely for the defense to get the rebound but wouldn't affect the clock.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The clock doesn't start until the ball is touched. A clang might make it less likely for the defense to get the rebound but wouldn't affect the clock.
harder to rebound cleanly when they come flying back in surprising fashion. The thing you absolutely don't want to do is have them fall gently off the side into the hands of the players standing right under the hoop expecting them.

K

KingMilz

The Kings are not comfortable yet being a winning team. In the last two games they have invented ways to lose.

Forget the refs. You cannot expect to win in the NBA giving up 30 or more points for 3 quarters in a row.

The lack of defense on the last play cost the Kings the game. Doesn't if make sense to protect the rim with only 0.3 sec left?

The Kings also ran out of gas at the end and stood around. Different substitutions? Better conditioning? Save something for the end?
I don't see this at all, in particular when our best players is averaging 30mins per game, if that.