[Game] Game 9: Sacramento Kings @ Memphis Grizzlies, 11/13/14

The best cure for a headcold:

• Total voters
No. This is on players managing to fight to the end even after blowing a significant lead and having the officials negate it. AND it's on the bogus technical that took Boogie out for a key portion of the game. Those things matter.
My argument is that the players played stupid and blew a huge lead for the 2nd game in a row. They also should've never been in a position for that "tip-in" to happen.

Your argument is the Kings fought hard despite crazy circumstances and shoddy officiating?

I'm fine with that.

Hopefully, they learn from their mistakes.

I want to know why the Kings didn't have 4 defender just standing right at the basket. let someone grab the ball and take a wide open 3, guess what? it wouldn't get off in time.

If that was Malone's idea we might need a new coach
Let's skipping that and not blame malone I've been watching nba since '98 and I've never seen a team do just that when the clock was under .5.

Although I am with you I've always wanted to know why teams beaver did it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Actually, it is a rule:

With :00.1 remaining in the third period, Player A2 tips a “high lob” throw-in from Player A1 which results in a successful field goal. Shall the field goal be scored? If the ‘high lob’ is adjacent to the rim, Player A2 may tip or ‘slam
dunk’ the ball. Player A2 may tip the ball from anywhere on the court

with :00.1 or more remaining in the period. However, if the ball is a distance from the rim, the ball may not be controlled unless :00.3 or more remain on the game clock.
Yeah, I should have stated that differently. (I deleted my post before realizing you had replied.)

Entity

Hall of Famer
First 5 games Malone made it a point to have gay or cousins on the court at all times. These last two games with the big early leads he has had them both sitting at same time. May want to go back to it. Also sessions sends the team to a lag every min he is out there.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
It could be a win to you but if it is not reflected, it ****s up our team chemistry and morale for the rest of the season
I don't think it does. We played a fantastic first quarter on the road for the second game in a row. Dominated on all levels. And then our bench could not sustain the lead. The starters are getting in foul trouble and/or running on empty by the end of the game. If we had a halfway decent bench, it wouldn't have come down to an end of the game panic like this. The bench needs to be able to feed off the starting unit and maintain the same energy as long as possible. Instead the bench comes in and plays no defense at all which forces Malone's hand getting guys back out on the floor before they're really rested. I don't want these guys to play hard for one quarter and then coast. Of course I want them to win, but a gut punch of a loss like this one at least forces people to remain accountable for those last 3 quarters.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Question: Somebody posted above that Malone was pissed about something and it wasn't the officials. I had to turn off the post-game because I didn't want to throw something at my TV. What was Malone pissed at?

i mean if the NBA is going to change the outcome of a game, this would be the scenario to do it. The clock had run out so it's either the basket counts and Memphis wins or it doesn't count and the Kings win. not like there is any more game to be played.

They should be able to excersize the rule that only a tip in can count in .3 and award the game to the Kings, right?

Kings got robbed. No way to skirt around it. Ball changed path and clock did not start on Lee touching it. I've always contended that if your have bad refs on the floor, then why should the replay be done by the same bad refs? You need people who aren't going to try to defend themselves. You need impartial parties. NFL should do it that way as well, but there's so much heat on the refs there that they're scared to get it wrong.

As for the team giving up too many points: If that is your problem Malone (and it is) then you can't be playing Reggie Evans at backup Center with Ramon Sessions giving up penetration. Sessions is not a good ball stopper. You must realize that and play a true center. Either not play Sessions or not play Reggie at C.

Nope, it's most DEFINITELY on the refs. The ball was caught and laid into the hoop with .3 seconds on the clock. The league's rules dictate that that final shot doesn't count. The replay wasn't even needed to make the call on this play.
Yes. You're right. The refs totally made JT forget to guard the rim.

K

KingMilz

This isn't a moral builder or "earning respect". All this did was prove that Doghnahey is right about how corrupt the NBA refs are.
The same refs that were gifting us fouls in the first half? Refs had nothing to do with that lose. The players are at fault not the refs.

At some point we have to stop blaming refs and coaches when key mental errors by some of our starters are losing us games.

Cousins and Collison guarding Randolph and Conley on the 3pt line and Gay/Thompson guarding guys at the foul line. Just the dumbest display of basketball i've ever seen

The question for Malone (and PDA) is how do you expect your team to play D when you are running Landry/Evans as your backup frontcourt. Evans is a terrible defender and Landry is only a decent post defender. Neither of them scare any backup big man in the league and the Evans/Sessions combo is just asking to be PnR'd to death.

Really, until you get a legitimate backup center or can afford to move JT into the role, the Kings' bench is going to continue to give up big leads.

This isn't a moral builder or "earning respect". All this did was prove that Doghnahey is right about how corrupt the NBA refs are.
I get that "blaming the refs" is the trendy thing to do but did you not watch the team lose the 26 point lead tonight? I understand if you turned on the TV for the final 3-tenths but you can't say the refs made us lose this game. Heck - if JT does his freaking job on the final play - this entire argument is over because we would've won.

Blown lead, everything else aside, I don't think that shot is possible in 0.3 seconds.
That's what a buddy of mine just texted me...said clock didn't even run until it left his hands...I was too busy fuming as I watched our moron PF run away from the hoop and his man to go double Gasol 2o feet away.