[Game] Game 9: Sacramento Kings @ Memphis Grizzlies, 11/13/14

The best cure for a headcold:

• Total voters
If Chuck Hayes can be traded, Jason Thompson can be traded.

Despite the dumbassness at the end from JT he still has more value around the league as a 3rd big than many here believe.

BTW, did any of our prodigious journalists ask Malone if he told our guys to mark and follow the Griz on that last play or to pack the paint and protect the rim?
Apparently the rules state you can still catch and shoot with 0.3 s, so I don't know why he would tell all the players to pack the paint.

On a whim? Seriously? :rolleyes:

What's laughable is people acting like thirty-odd minutes of bad defense can be hand-waved away by a questionable call, just because it happened to be particularly visible.
yeah on a whim, remember dallas? runs happen every night, the NBA is filled with amazing talent.

no whats really laughable is people saying a call is questionable and saying it was particularly visible in the same sentence. It was obvious incompetence by the refs which is unrelated to the play prior. Memphis fought hard to come back just as the kings fought hard to build the lead, that is a separate issue from the two missed calls on that final play.

Again its just my opinion.

If Chuck Hayes can be traded, Jason Thompson can be traded.

Despite the dumbassness at the end from JT he still has more value around the league as a 3rd big than many here believe.

BTW, did any of our prodigious journalists ask Malone if he told our guys to mark and follow the Griz on that last play or to pack the paint and protect the rim?

Chuck Hayes got traded as part of a package to make a big trade work, not as an individual trade. Would any team want JT himself? We've been trying to trade him since last year. If we could somehow trade JT, I will be dancing that day! lol

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I gotta beg to differ with Kayte and Doug a little bit. I don't think that it's a "good" thing that we're going through this. Granted, on a total superficial level, if you'd said in September that we could be 5-4 after nine, I'd have taken it with a smile, but having watched the last three games go down the way that they went down... I'm not smiling any more.

I tend to be of the opinion that there's a point of diminishing returns on "character building" losses.
I give more credence to Kayte and Doug in this instance because they're the ones who've played the game, dealt with the frustrations, etc. Of course, I am totally struggling with 2002-flashback at the moment, so my POV is definitely suspect.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
yeah on a whim, remember dallas? runs happen every night, the NBA is filled with amazing talent.
And you think that happened on a 'whim', do you? I'm not sure you know what the word 'whim' means.

no whats really laughable is people saying a call is questionable and saying it was particularly visible in the same sentence.
Ah, I see now, it's a comprehension issue. Happy to explicate.

There was nothing inconsistent about the syntax of my sentence: I was not using "visible" as a synonym for "obvious." I meant "visible" as in, "a lot of people were watching it." The play was "particularly visible" because it was the last play of the game; and, since it was a one-point game, this causes many people to erroneously believe that this play, and this play alone, decided the outcome of the game. The play was "questionable" because there was some question as to the outcome of the play.

Again its just my opinion.
Hey, it's a free country; you have the right to your incorrect opinion.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I give more credence to Kayte and Doug in this instance because they're the ones who've played the game, dealt with the frustrations, etc.
Those two phenomena may be mutually exclusive, but I'm disinclined to go through however many hundreds of box scores to try and find out. I'm willing to wager, however, that in neither of their respective careers did they played through a stretch where they lost to a team playing without it's two best players, and then blew two 20+ point leads, in successive games.

That's what I mean by 'diminishing returns': there's a point at which "character building" becomes "spirit breaking." And, for a team that's gone through as much as this one has, I'm willing to speculate that that line is pretty damned fine.

I give more credence to Kayte and Doug in this instance because they're the ones who've played the game, dealt with the frustrations, etc. Of course, I am totally struggling with 2002-flashback at the moment, so my POV is definitely suspect.
And you think that happened on a 'whim', do you? I'm not sure you know what the word 'whim' means.

There was nothing inconsistent about the syntax of my sentence: I was not using "visible" as a synonym for "obvious." I meant "visible" as in, "a lot of people were watching it." The play was "particularly visible" because it was the last play of the game; and, since it was a one-point game, this causes many people to erroneously believe that this play, and this play alone, decided the outcome of the game. The play was "questionable" because there was some question as to the outcome of the play.

So your trying to argue that that last play, of a 1 point game, DIDN'T decide the game? Are you serious? It's the DECIDING PLAY. I guess I'm just erroneously believing that that was the deciding play...................

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
Way more went into that loss than that one play. That much is undisputed. What I am therefore 'arguing' is that it's facile to try and dilute the essence of the loss into that one play.

Runs happen suddenly? does that make it better? doesn't disprove my overall point.

oh and there is no question, (in my opinion) backed by video, the clock started late and the ball changed trajectory after being tipped and the call was incorrect due to incompetent officiating not due to any other play or plays that are unrelated to that call.

Yup ill stick to it. :)

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
oh and there is no question, (in my opinion) backed by video, the clock started late and the ball changed trajectory after being tipped and the call was incorrect due to incompetent officiating not due to any other play or plays that are unrelated to that call.
If it were unquestionable, it would have been overturned in review. We wouldn't even got to the point of appeal. Personally, I think that the argument that the clock did not start is a much stronger case than the argument that you can't get a shot off in 0.3. Which, frankly, is false.

If it were unquestionable, it would have been overturned in review. We wouldn't even got to the point of appeal. Personally, I think that the argument that the clock did not start is a much stronger case than the argument that you can't get a shot off in 0.3. Which, frankly, is false.
You can get a shot off in 0.3. However, he did not accomplish that.

based on all of the replays, photos etc its unquestionable, the refs just blew it big time and did not conduct a proper review, we saw them spend more time on a foul call in the 1st quarter of a game here at sleep train than they did on that call. the kings can chose from multiple arguments to base their appeal, that's how badly and obviously it was blown.

Last edited:
Who the hell cares if the Kings played like crap after a BS Foul and tech was called on Cousins? The Kings DESERVED to win this game fair and square. It's amazing how much people talk down our team! This should've been our W...but I hope it wakes up the 2nd unit. When Cousins isn't out there, our entire team is a complete mess.... bench needs to step up. Especially Sessions and Stauskas.

Who the hell cares if the Kings played like crap after a BS Foul and tech was called on Cousins? The Kings DESERVED to win this game fair and square. It's amazing how much people talk down our team! This should've been our W...but I hope it wakes up the 2nd unit. When Cousins isn't out there, our entire team is a complete mess.... bench needs to step up. Especially Sessions and Stauskas.
They deserved the loss. They blew a huge lead in the second half, bricked two FT's at the end of the game (even the Grizz announcers thought it was over), and then totally blew coverage and an 'oop. They did everything they could not to put a W on their record tonight. Winners find way to close out 50/50 games.

They deserved the loss. They blew a huge lead in the second half, bricked two FT's at the end of the game (even the Grizz announcers thought it was over), and then totally blew coverage and an 'oop. They did everything they could not to put a W on their record tonight. Winners find way to close out 50/50 games.
We didn't deserve the loss. This was a win. I guess we need Mike Perara in the house for the refs. It's like telling me we didn't deserve the W vs the Suns, so it doesn't count. It all counts. This should've been our W. Stupid refs.