[Game] Game 73: Kings @ Grizzlies, 3/30/15 - 5pdt, 8edt

I'll never, ever, ever, support resting/sitting a player who can play and can give it a go without risking further injury unless we have no foundation and are tanking to acquire one.

As a fan, I'm supposed to go along with the idea a guy who just put up 39/20 and it could easily have been 45/20, should or would sit for a game or two? To experiment? What bleeping experiment is worth sitting your franchise player? Why the bleep would you run such an experiment in the first place? Affirming Cuz's +/-?

That's a tank move. You don't sit a top 10 player who can play so you can experiment without him unless you have ulterior motives, i.e. tanking.
I just got a question for y'all -
How you gonna stop god's plan?
How you gonna do that?

How you gonna do that, that's what I want to know - how you gonna stop god's plan?

rain - you (and others) may not approve of it, but it's been very clear that the Kings have been tanking for quite some time this year.
I even predicted this last Thursday after the 4-win streak, it was that obvious.

How are y'all gonna stop (The Kings) plans (to tank)?

P

PoundForPound

Actually, that's not a tank move at all. A tank move would be to rest him against the Pelicans or the Jazz - games that we could win. On the road in Memphis? A game we're likely to lose anyway against the most bruising frontcourt in the league? For a guy who needs rest, that's just common sense.
It's a wuss move. Knowing that Memphis likes to bang down low and play bruising bully ball, it's making Cousins out to look like a sissy, based on what happened last time these two teams played.

PoundforPound - stop making this about Demarcus' manhood.

Unless you've been in a coma for 5 years, you can't make those statements/insinuations, since he's brought it vs the NBA's elites continuously.

There's one spreadsheet which fully explains the rest of the season:

http://www.tankathon.com/

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You don't understand, like I said previously, almost nobody in the NBA is perfectly healthy. Everyone is playing with lingering issues and sore bones here and there, the point is that Sacramento has been put through so much this year, and the games are winding down, we still watch to see this team win and we want to see our franchise center play.
I understand perfectly well. I just don't agree with you. A lot of fans are okay with him resting on the road as long as he plays at home.

origkds

What- Me Worry?
George Karl is a cagey vet. If, for any reason, he thinks it's a good idea to bench Boogie or Rudy he has my blessing.
Sean Cunningham ‏@News10Sean
Kings C DeMarcus Cousins out tonight in Memphis as a rest game. #NBAKings

Slap in the face to fans who've stuck by this team during the train wreck this season has been. One of the few reasons to watch this team, Cuz, is being sit so he can "rest" and to run experiments without our franchise centerpiece?

It's a pure tank move. We have 10 games and two weeks left, Cuz will get as much rest as he likes 16 days from now. It's not a 4th game in 5 nights situation, he just had two days off after putting up 39/20.

St. John's University with Chris Mullin becoming new head coach (multiple sources confirm) only "experiment" I'm completely down with - good luck, good riddance on that one;)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
It's a wuss move. Knowing that Memphis likes to bang down low and play bruising bully ball, it's making Cousins out to look like a sissy, based on what happened last time these two teams played.
It's the one game on the schedule where Cousins is more likely to get injured than any other game; it's the one game on the schedule we are least likely to win with or without him. I'm pretty sure you'd never consider accusing Cousins of being a wuss or a sissy if you had ever had to guard him in the low post on game night.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
Looking like a sissy? Maybe in your demented view.
Had the Kings not beaten Memphis under Karl, I'd bet Boogie would play.

If you want a good conspiracy (other than the more logical tank for seeding one), at least be creative.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Actually, that's not a tank move at all. A tank move would be to rest him against the Pelicans or the Jazz - games that we could win. On the road in Memphis? A game we're likely to lose anyway against the most bruising frontcourt in the league? For a guy who needs rest, that's just common sense.
No, it is a tank move. Tanking is an approach where a team does less than everything possible to win. Sitting Cuz who can play and just went off for 39/20 is limiting the chances of us winning, whether it's Memphis or not. The level of opponent doesn't matter. You're either all in to win, or you're not. If you're not, it qualifies as tanking.

So no, it's not common sense at all.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
St. John's University with Chris Mullin becoming new head coach (multiple sources confirm) only "experiment" I'm completely down with - good luck, good riddance on that one;)
We've got a whole thread devoted to discussion of Mullin. I honestly don't think he's worth discussing in two threads. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
It's the one game on the schedule where Cousins is more likely to get injured than any other game; it's the one game on the schedule we are least likely to win with or without him. I'm pretty sure you'd never consider accusing Cousins of being a wuss or a sissy if you had ever had to guard him in the low post on game night.
Or if he was standing in front of you. :p

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
George Karl is a cagey vet. If, for any reason, he thinks it's a good idea to bench Boogie or Rudy he has my blessing.
There's two different discussions going on here. One, is whether or not this qualifies as tanking. It sure as hell does. The other is whether there's a decent reason to do it and whether Karl and our FO sees value in it. Yes, there is and yes, they do. Karl's been around the block more than once, he understands the value of getting a higher pick if that's a priority of his, or running whatever experiments it is he wants to run without our best player.

Feel free to back Karl and this decision, just don't pretend it's something other than tanking. Karl's reason(s) for doing this, and there are reasons to do it, can have merit, but those reason(s) aren't aligned with winning tonight being the absolute priority, by definition-tanking.

Denver did the same thing a few weeks ago, resting starters who could play against....Memphis. What was it called? Tanking.

http://deadspin.com/the-nuggets-are-now-shamelessly-tanking-1691772680

At least Denver had a tough game the night before, not two days off as we just had.

So you can attempt to reason with it, tough opponent, guys being tired, just one game, coach wanting to "experiment", but it's still regarded as tanking.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
So you can attempt to reason with it, tough opponent, guys being tired, just one game, coach wanting to "experiment", but it's still regarded as tanking.
Which is neither illegal nor discouraged by the NBA at any official level. It's only discouraged by fans of "fair play", which I can understand, but then fair play hasn't gotten us a top 3 pick in 24 years so maybe it's about time we joined the rest of the NBA in doing what's best for the future of the team. Popovich has been resting his starters all year to keep them as fresh as possible for the playoffs. If it's not against the rules, it's not cheating.

P

PoundForPound

It's not about him not being physical, we all know that he can be. But it's just something about Z Bo that he seems to shy away from and I hate to see our franchise big man not playing tonight when he's able to play.

This isn't disrespectful to the fans at all, and is a very smart choice.

We're one game removed from a 4 game winning streak, including our last 3 at home, and the fans in STA have been getting great entertainment.

We've been nagged by the injury bug enough this year. If there are any injury concerns whatsoever, players should not play.

Tanking is just the cherry on top.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Which is neither illegal nor discouraged by the NBA at any official level. It's only discouraged by fans of "fair play", which I can understand, but then fair play hasn't gotten us a top 3 pick in 24 years so maybe it's about time we joined the rest of the NBA in doing what's best for the future of the team. Popovich has been resting his starters all year to keep them as fresh as possible for the playoffs. If it's not against the rules, it's not cheating.
Who implied it's cheating or against the rules?

And Pop resting guys for the playoffs is quite different than our situation.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
for those of you saying this is not a tank move need to open your eyes. Karl is aware of the Kings' record without Boogie in the last two seasons and probably more...you can say they don't condone tanking but I can understand resting players when you have a playoff seeding locked up, like Atlanta. But a lottery team resting his best players and him being able to physically play? not buying that at all.

I just got a question for y'all -
How you gonna stop god's plan?
How you gonna do that?

How you gonna do that, that's what I want to know - how you gonna stop god's plan?

rain - you (and others) may not approve of it, but it's been very clear that the Kings have been tanking for quite some time this year.
I even predicted this last Thursday after the 4-win streak, it was that obvious.

How are y'all gonna stop (The Kings) plans (to tank)?
Ty Corbins entire tenure as HC was a tank job.

K

KingMilz

I cannot believe we are resting Cousins wtf has this organization done to deserve to be given the benefit of the doubt to rest YOUNG and HEALTHY players? We are not the Spurs who have won 5 titles and have a 38/37 year old on the squad to rest (hell our 39 year old is still playing).

The players including Cousins got enough rest during Ty Corbins reign here where none of them tried for about 20 odd games, this team for the most part this year has been a disgrace and these guys should be out there busting there ass for themselves and us. Not only that we take away one of the best match ups in the NBA in Cousins vs Z-Bo/Marc which is probably the only reason a casual fan would want to watch this game and maybe become a Kings fans.

Pathetic scum decision by the franchise resting healthy players for no reason who have had career games lately what a joke. Just when I thought things were somewhat looking up the franchise pulls another dog move.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
K

KingMilz

The word from the Kings' beat reporter is that Cousins is not entirely healthy:
At this point in the season no one is, I kind of find it hard to believe that a guy who just put up 39/20 has anything more than soreness. They had like 2 days off as well to rest up.

The small winning streak has got me accepting any tank move they put up for the rest of the season. The reason why I wanted to see us go all out was because I needed hope. Now that I have some, tanking is O.K.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've finally realized why Grant takes such joy in pointing out Kings mistakes, whether they're actually called or not. I truly believe Howdy Doody would love to be an NBA official. :p

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Is it though? Winning teams get to rest their players but losing teams can't?
Yes it is, as the intent matters. You truly believe Karl went through the same thought process with the same intentions as Pop does when resting Duncan or Ginobili? Pop has been quite vocal about needing to save his older guys for the playoffs. and when he does, it's usually on the back end of a long road trip or 4 games in 5 night. What we're doing isn't related, not with a 24 yr old Cuz coming off a 39/20 performance with playoffs out of the question and two days rest. What's Karl saving Cuz for?

If you believe there's no difference between us and Den resting players, in comparison to SA resting guys well into their 30's so they're fresh for a run at a ring, we've got little common ground to stand on, so not really a point to continue this debate.

Enjoy the game, man.