Free Agency

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
why so we can be like Vlade and give away players for nothing to be a good guy???

heck no. You sign Bogi for a fair deal around 15-17M a year, play a 3 guard line up this year and get a good pick for next year. Depending on who you draft you trade one of them next year.
The issue is Bogi is looking for money that goes beyond that

I would say that a lot of difference in Bogdan's game here and elsewhere is because a lot of players here don't know how to play team basketball. I would say the only ones are Bogdan, Holmes, Barnes, Bjelica. Everyone else does not really know what to do. Maybe its coaching. I remember Bogdan giving an interview in Toronto I think where was asked about different styles between NBA and Europe and he said its different, in Europe is more organized and here is players taking turns mostly type of game

That or Kings fans appear to think they are much smarter than NBA GM’s and that dumping Bogi for nothing is actually a good move.
As a hardcore KINGS fan that watches every game, I’m fully aware of ALL Bogdanovic’s warts. But like you I also understand that it’d be a poor decision to allow him to leave for nothing.

It’s clear there is enough interest in him around the league that the KINGS would be wise to match any offer he gets to trade him later on — if they can’t make use of him themselves.

If it's 17 million or less it's a no brainer to me, he'll be movable. I think moving Buddy if we do sign becomes worthwhile if a haul can be made. Seems like that should be doable. I'm just flabbergasted at all the signings right now, for what is looking like a dead season. Maybe teams are seeing playoff revenue as a potential saving grace for a lost season? Assume playoffs will be played with fans if any of the vaccines are real.

NBA GMs sure are pounding down Bogi’s door in this offseason of wild spending on mediocre players.
He’s restricted. Much different than the unrestricted free agents benefitting from all this ‘wild spending’.

If he was unrestricted, we wouldn‘t be having a conversation like this.

How many restricted FA‘s have you seen change teams and land huge money so far?

Once a franchise offers a restricted FA a deal and he signs it — it limits their other FA pursuits while they wait 72 hours to likely discover the contract has been matched.

Not many franchises are willing to sit on their hands the first few days of free agency and let everyone else sign the unrestricted guys.

Last edited:
I would say that a lot of difference in Bogdan's game here and elsewhere is because a lot of players here don't know how to play team basketball. I would say the only ones are Bogdan, Holmes, Barnes, Bjelica. Everyone else does not really know what to do. Maybe its coaching. I remember Bogdan giving an interview in Toronto I think where was asked about different styles between NBA and Europe and he said its different, in Europe is more organized and here is players taking turns mostly type of game
Bogdan, Holmes, Barnes, Bjelicia and Haliburton.

If it's 17 million or less it's a no brainer to me, he'll be movable. I think moving Buddy if we do sign becomes worthwhile if a haul can be made. Seems like that should be doable. I'm just flabbergasted at all the signings right now, for what is looking like a dead season. Maybe teams are seeing playoff revenue as a potential saving grace for a lost season? Assume playoffs will be played with fans if any of the vaccines are real.
from what we have seen he would be movable for 18-20M.

This is where we always seemed to get to with Vlade, what are the minute breakdowns and rotation to make sure it works? One too many bodies while players getting paid or a lotto pick having just been anointed a franchise altering player can mean a lot to the degradation of value somewhere.

This is where we always seemed to get to with Vlade, what are the minute breakdowns and rotation to make sure it works? One too many bodies while players getting paid or a lotto pick having just been anointed a franchise altering player can mean a lot to the degradation of value somewhere.
part of where we part ways is I don’t care if it works next year. It’s a deep draft and I’m happy to take my top six ping pong balls and see what happens.

if that means playing a 3 guard line-up next year and see who meshes best with Haliburton on the team I’m fine with that result. I’m not convinced Buddy will be any happier playing behind Fox and Haliburton than he is playing behind Bogi and Fox.

Buddy gets cheaper and easier to trade after next year.

part of where we part ways is I don’t care if it works next year. It’s a deep draft and I’m happy to take my top six ping pong balls and see what happens.

if that means playing a 3 guard line-up next year and see who meshes best with Haliburton on the team I’m fine with that result. I’m not convinced Buddy will be any happier playing behind Fox and Haliburton than he is playing behind Bogi and Fox.

Agree, Im just kicking back watching this unfold. So far happy McNair hasn’t added any FA that doesn’t obviously move the needle, we have plenty of those players already and I’d like to see our youth show their skills and fit.
I am curious with Giles moving on if Len might be retained. Id rather him over Whiteside, haven’t seen that rumour resurface today fortunately, and recon Len will be happy to fill in where needed.
Bogdan, I can take or leave him...just as long as he’s easily movable down the line if needed.

I think its very clear that Monte and Vlade are worlds apart but $17 million for Bogi is very movable. 20 is a tough sell. That middle range is grey area. But I'd say double the MLE is kind of that magic barrier where people freak out a year or two down the road.

The draft isn't worth incinerating your locker room with a stuffed cap. Believe that.

I think its very clear that Monte and Vlade are worlds apart but $17 million for Bogi is very movable. 20 is a tough sell. That middle range is grey area. But I'd say double the MLE is kind of that magic barrier where people freak out a year or two down the road.
OK, show me the minutes and the production though. When you sign players to deals like that people expect something. If Bogdan was a great intangibles player you can probably live up without the production but he really isn't. Same with Buddy. That's why when it was one or there other their value plummeted. At the start of the year it was Bogdan. At the end Buddy. Now, you're adding Haliburton into the equation. Who plays where and what do they do?

I'm not sure his skillset is one that would see a rapid falling off over a 4 year deal but I'd prefer he was on a declining deal like the other recent deals we signed.
Yeah, the only concern with him is he's already had a few knee problems and little injuries here and there. Other than that, he shouldn't drop off much.