Free Agency Thread - 2018

Yeah I’m not a big fan of taking on Wiggins but I guess it depends on who we’re getting rid of and if any picks are coming back. I’d be more comfortable letting Bogie or Buddy try their hand at 3 while JJ grows into that role and be patient with the cap space than panick and commit to such a long term contract for a questionable scorer with tunnel vision.

JJ? The only thing he’s growing into or is that going into is the G League . That guy will never be a starting quality 3.
Except, maybe on the Kings

I would definitely take Wiggins and his contract, if we can keep our young core of Fox, Buddy, Bogdan, Giles and Bagley intact.

Wiggins is a legit 20 ppg wing player.

We could send them WCS (KAT's buddy) and filler/expiring contracts of Randolph, KK or Shumpert for Wiggins. I would even consider sending one of Skal, JJ, or Mason (if required).

Kings would be real fun and fast:

PF Bagley / Skal
SF Wiggins / JJ / Ben
C Giles / KK / Davis
SG Bogdan / Buddy
PG Fox / Yogi / Mason
With how long he's contracted and taking into his current ability, we would need to give up more than WCS and an expiring contract. I'm not a Wiggins fan because he's not a consistent shooter, nor does he controbute much defensively, but he has more value than that. I'd say adding in Buddy or Bogdanovic and at least one future first round pick to WCS and an expiring contract to balance salaries would be the minimum.

It's crazy how other teams can offer 4-5 players 20+million/yr and we gotta sweat being frugal with 20 million in cap overall. Capela, Harden, CP3 (40m/yr!), Ryan Anderson and they still field a whole roster!

If WCS has a breakout year, all will be good, He'll get the contract he deserves. If its with the Kings, hopefully we let him walk before we overpay.
He doesn't deserve a big contract should he have himself one breakout season, for all we know once he gets paid, he pulls a Hassan Whiteside.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
General comment: I cannot believe how deep the hate runs in some around here. It's almost as though somebody has to be the target for hate, vitriol, etc. Player A or B may not be your favorite, he may not have always lived up to expectations, he may need to work on aspects of his game, etc. That doesn't mean he should be subjected to so much gang-mentality negativity. I honestly think there are some around here who have forgotten how it feels to root for the Kings and their players. Criticism is one thing, but sometimes it just feels like these players aren't worthy of anything but derision which is absolutely untrue.

General comment: I cannot believe how deep the hate runs in some around here. It's almost as though somebody has to be the target for hate, vitriol, etc. Player A or B may not be your favorite, he may not have always lived up to expectations, he may need to work on aspects of his game, etc. That doesn't mean he should be subjected to so much gang-mentality negativity. I honestly think there are some around here who have forgotten how it feels to root for the Kings and their players. Criticism is one thing, but sometimes it just feels like these players aren't worthy of anything but derision which is absolutely untrue.
I have to agree with this. I am pretty shocked at the WCS narrative on this website, which is usually a friendly place. There's some real dislike for WCS which I find completely unwarranted. People projecting their disappointment onto his character is uncalled for. I haven't seen anything from Willie to suggest he's not a good guy and a hard worker.

with the Capela extension announced, I can see Willie and his agent eyeing a similar type of contract should he have himself a breakout season
Capela led the ENTIRE NBA in field goal percentage at over 65%!!!

During the regular season, Capela was the first player in NBA history to have averaged at least 13.0 ppg, 10.0 rpg, and 1.80 bpg in fewer than 28.0 mpg.

He was also the first player to have averaged at least 12.0 ppg, 11.0 rpg, and 2.00 bpg in fewer than 31.0 mpg in a single postseason.

Willie only thinks he's got Capela-like talent.

Source:https://sports.abs-cbn.com/nba/news/2018/07/28/houston-rockets-re-sign-clint-capela-45025

Capela led the ENTIRE NBA in field goal percentage at over 65%!!!

During the regular season, Capela was the first player in NBA history to have averaged at least 13.0 ppg, 10.0 rpg, and 1.80 bpg in fewer than 28.0 mpg.

He was also the first player to have averaged at least 12.0 ppg, 11.0 rpg, and 2.00 bpg in fewer than 31.0 mpg in a single postseason.

Willie only thinks he's got Capela-like talent.

Source:https://sports.abs-cbn.com/nba/news/2018/07/28/houston-rockets-re-sign-clint-capela-45025
I don't pay much mind at stats but more so about the impact he has on the floor and does he help his team win. The answer is yes, he is the Rockets third most important player and plays a significant role in helping them reach the Conference Finals last season.