DeMar DeRozan Kawhi Leonard Trade

I honestly think this is great news for the Lakers of the world long term. Players show no loyalty. Teams show no loyalty. I'm not sure which egg hatched first but now we're at a guy who took a discount to stay with Toronto getting shipped to San Antonio without his consent. This is going to hurt teams like us.

In the end, the message to players is clearer than ever and the Lakers are long the destination of players looking to get theirs.
Unfortunately we already did it to ourselves when we did Boogie dirty a year and a half ago.

If they keep the core of young players, then yes, I agree with you. I just don't think that's going to happen. The pressure is enormous to win a championship in L.A. because they now have LBJ. I highly doubt they are willing to accept 6th or so in the west, and that's basically what they're looking at with the current lineup. The window of championship dreams is closing a little bit every single day because LBJ is on the downhill slide. In the end I think the Lakers sacrifice youth for experience to give them a shot at a title.
LA will be bad this year, then they'll get Leonard next year and probably be even with Houston and Golden State and it will take about 3 years afterwards for those teams to have major cap problems and been frozen out of the draft.

That will be our window, but the question is how much will deals like these effect small/non glamour teams from re-signing players?

I like it because it hurts the Lakers.
Maybe in the near term but if the Lakers would have ceded to the Spurs demands, I think it would be better for us long term. The Spurs were asking for Kuzma, Hart, Ingram, two #1s and two swaps. I would have liked to see that trade (or close version of it) to decimate the Lakers of young assets. The Lakers were smart to say "no" even if Kawhi does end up signing with the Raptors long term.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I honestly think this is great news for the Lakers of the world long term. Players show no loyalty. Teams show no loyalty. I'm not sure which egg hatched first but...
NBA free agency, as we understand it in 2018, didn't even exist until 1988. I am one hundred percent comfortable saying that the "Teams show no loyalty" egg hatched first.

Of course little IT has to make it all about himself. LOL

You could say Kawhi did learn from Isaiah's "story". He chose not to play when felt his leg was less than a 100% despite pressure to return. Isaiah tried to play with a bum hip and plummeted his market value.

I love Isaiah but here's the thing: Isaiah wants to blame the Celtics and Cavs for their lack of loyalty. Thats fair I suppose. But these teams made an objective assessment of his health relative to his age and size and prognosis. If his hip was not an issue he either remains a Celtic, a Cavs, a Lakers or in the least signs for more than the minimum with the Nuggets!

Boogie wants to talk about loyalty too. Its a cop out in lieu of personal accountability. He talk lack of loyalty from the Kings and Pelicans. This is disingenuous. What is he saying? If you do NOT put up with my lazy defense and out of control temper my constant bickering with the refs, YOU ARE DISLOYAL. Am I getting it right? If you do not recognize the chronic debilitating nature of my hip injury or Achilles tear, YOU ARE DISLOYAL. Bull sh*t! Let's be real. Teams do a risk reward analysis of ALL players and are loyal to degree this analysis is favorable. That's the nature of the business. Boogie and to lesser degree Isaiah wanted to personalize the way they are treated. They feel they have been aggrieved against. Loyalty is earned. It is not granted. Isaiah wanted or expected a team to shell out 150M to a 5'9" 30 year old PG with a bad hip? It is not a lack of loyalty that prevents his payday. It is unfortunate turn of events and timing. Same is true of Boogie with his injury though thats whole another ball of yarn I will save for another time.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
... I love Isaiah but here's the thing: Isaiah wants to blame the Celtics and Cavs for their lack of loyalty. Thats fair I suppose. But these teams made an objective assessment of his health relative to his age and size and prognosis. If his hip was not an issue he either remains a Celtic, a Cavs, a Lakers or in the least signs for more than the minimum with the Nuggets!

Boogie wants to talk about loyalty too. Its a cop out in lieu of personal accountability. He talk lack of loyalty from the Kings and Pelicans. This is disingenuous.
It's not at all disingenuous, because all of those things can be (and, in fact, are) true. I would challenge the pejorative use of the term "cop out", but it is true that Cousins needs to take a level up in personal accountability. And it is also true that the teams made a practical risk assessment, as it pertains to both Cousins and Thomas. AND it is also true, to paraphrase the American philosopher Chris Brown, that "these **** ain't loyal."

And, by "these ****," I mean the teams.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Maybe in the near term but if the Lakers would have ceded to the Spurs demands, I think it would be better for us long term. The Spurs were asking for Kuzma, Hart, Ingram, two #1s and two swaps. I would have liked to see that trade (or close version of it) to decimate the Lakers of young assets. The Lakers were smart to say "no" even if Kawhi does end up signing with the Raptors long term.
They still might do just that. AND not get Leonard. As one broadcaster said, and I'm paraphrasing, maybe the greatest player of all time is diminishing in value. Tick, tick, tick. If the Lakers don't do some big things this year, possibly involving their young core, then it's going to be a lot of hoopla over nothing. I don't buy in the least many in the media who say the Lakers don't have anything to worry about. They have a ton to worry about. LBJ didn't come to LA to be sixth in the west. And he's not going there for grow the culture or help the young guys, the tune we've hear in Kings' land. It's championship or bust.

NBA free agency, as we understand it in 2018, didn't even exist until 1988. I am one hundred percent comfortable saying that the "Teams show no loyalty" egg hatched first.
Perhaps. Trades revolving around lower and middle tier players were always common and those guys treated like dirt. With all star level guys there was some degree of loyalty into the mid-90s at least.

Agree 100%. The tide has turned now that the extra money a superstar's original team can pay is not enough of an incentive anymore, especially with all the sponsorship nowadays quite readily for most players.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Staff member
I'm trying to see how you equate getting traded to the above quote.
Well, good luck with that, because you're trying to equate it to the wrong thing. I made that post in response to this:
You get paid millions to put a ball through a hoop. There are a lot of disgruntled seals that would trade places in a hot second.
... which is clearly a statement made to suggest that athletes have no standing or grounds to complain about anything that happens to them through the course of their jobs, because they get paid a lot of money, a point of view which I take exception to.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
Well, good luck with that, because you're trying to equate it to the wrong thing. I made that post in response to this:... which is clearly a statement made to suggest that athletes have no standing or grounds to complain about anything that happens to them through the course of their jobs, because they get paid a lot of money, a point of view which I take exception to.
Gotcha. Sorry, misunderstood the context of your statement.