DeMar DeRozan Kawhi Leonard Trade

I do not understand Raptors rationale here. do they think they will be able to keep Kawhi after this season or do they think they are ready to win this season with him? seems like they are just giving away DeRozan and a 1st rd pick for one year renatal.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I do not understand Raptors rationale here. do they think they will be able to keep Kawhi after this season or do they think they are ready to win this season with him? seems like they are just giving away DeRozan and a 1st rd pick for one year renatal.
I think that's exactly what their doing. With LeBron in LA the East looks to be down to Toronto and Boston and maybe Philly. There's a chance they can convince Leonard to stay but otherwise it's just a big gamble on this season.

But given that DeRozan was going to be a free agent a year later (and not a guy you want to be forced to max out and while might also bolt for LA anyway) and the pick will be a late 1st it's not that big of a price to pay unless you value Poeltl a lot more than I do.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Wonder if Leonard will actually show up and play. He doesn’t want to go there. This deal can still fall through if he doesn’t report I believe.

Spurs gave up kawhi, they are gonna want derozen. Now green, we should have gotten involved and took him. He could be our 3 and d sf, and save the raptors some money.

We don't have the assets to get players like DeRozan or even Danny Green unless you guys want to start trading Hield, Fox etc.

WCS and fodder won't land you above average starting players.
The asset would be cap space. Raptors still get kwahi as the prize and lower their tax hit while Spurs get derozen. If you follow the time line adding green and poet were to make the salaries match. That's where we could have come in.

Did you see their 0-4 playoff performance vs Cavs? After the fiasco of Game 1, a game they gave away, by missing easy tip ins at buzzer, they looked like the Kings at their worst! Towards the end of that series LeBron was toying with them taking fadeaway shots from both sides like shooting in an empty gym. The Raptors were mentally weak, psychologically devastated, the demons of the past returned, leading to firing of Casey. But they needed to do more than get rid of the coach. Even with LeBron going West, there is still the Celtics well ahead of them at full strength.

To get out of the East, the Raptors need someone to match up against all the wings on the Celtics: Brown, Tatum, Hayward. They also need to break up that Lowry DeRozan duo. We have seen enough. I think it is a gamble they had to take and hope it can be a Paul George situation where the guy is hesitant and opposed then has change of heart. I think Kawhi wanted to get away from Pop and teammates he felt betrayed him (Parker, Manu). I think there is a stronger motivation to leave San Antonio than go to Los Angeles. It is hard to say. Kawhi is a weird dude. There is never been such a reclusive superstar so who knows what he is thinking. In my experience guys with his type of personality are deferential to stronger personalities around him. Part of him wanting to go LA for example could just be his pseudo-agent uncle telling him thats where he should be.

As far as how this effects us, Jakob Poetl is a pretty good player coming to the West. Another reason to throw max dollars at Capela :p

Wonder if Leonard will actually show up and play. He doesn’t want to go there. This deal can still fall through if he doesn’t report I believe.
I think the Raptors could rescind the deal if he does not take his physical. So if he doesn't report they could technically say he did not pass his physical. But the Raptors could also waive the right to his physical and the deal becomes finalized.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I can see Kawhi changing his mind about playing in Toronto once the season is up. Toronto has a lot of appeal, other than the freezing cold but it's a big market and he can be one of the main stars headlining the East. Meanwhile, I have this feeling that DeRozan won't like playing for Pop because how disciplined of a coach he is and by the book so to speak, I can see DeRozan booking it elsewhere when he's a FA.

Did you see their 0-4 playoff performance vs Cavs? After the fiasco of Game 1, a game they gave away, by missing easy tip ins at buzzer, they looked like the Kings at their worst! Towards the end of that series LeBron was toying with them taking fadeaway shots from both sides like shooting in an empty gym. The Raptors were mentally weak, psychologically devastated, the demons of the past returned, leading to firing of Casey. But they needed to do more than get rid of the coach. Even with LeBron going West, there is still the Celtics well ahead of them at full strength.

To get out of the East, the Raptors need someone to match up against all the wings on the Celtics: Brown, Tatum, Hayward. They also need to break up that Lowry DeRozan duo. We have seen enough. I think it is a gamble they had to take and hope it can be a Paul George situation where the guy is hesitant and opposed then has change of heart. I think Kawhi wanted to get away from Pop and teammates he felt betrayed him (Parker, Manu). I think there is a stronger motivation to leave San Antonio than go to Los Angeles. It is hard to say. Kawhi is a weird dude. There is never been such a reclusive superstar so who knows what he is thinking. In my experience guys with his type of personality are deferential to stronger personalities around him. Part of him wanting to go LA for example could just be his pseudo-agent uncle telling him thats where he should be.

As far as how this effects us, Jakob Poetl is a pretty good player coming to the West. Another reason to throw max dollars at Capela :p

i understand Raptors need to shake things up, I just figure they could get something more “permanent” for DeRozan than Kawhi.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kawhi's only leverage is to say that he'll bolt after the season. The Raptors are clearly okay with that risk.

Beyond that he can threaten to not play, threaten (or actually choose) to not report, or retire.

I don't think he'll risk sitting out for a full season and I can't imagine him retiring.

At the end of the day, it's a contract year for him so his best strategy is to go to Toronto and have the best season possible.

i understand Raptors need to shake things up, I just figure they could get something more “permanent” for DeRozan than Kawhi.
I hear you but DeRozan has his own issues. Hasn't established three point shot, dubious leadership, owed 28/28/28 over next three seasons. I get this gamble from Raptors side. Paying DeRozan 3/84 is not appealing to me knowing his limitations and total flop in the playoffs.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I guess the USAF taught Pop how to rebuild the plane while flying it... Smart move on his part. Toronto will likely end the season with a luke-warm play off performance no star, weak drafting position and short a few picks.

This is such a fascinating situation, featuring two all-star talents, neither of whom actually want to play for the team to whom they're being traded. It seems rare for trade partners to absorb this kind of risk in a swap where nobody comes away looking like a clear winner, and nobody's entirely happy about the circumstances of the trade. Toronto must really be hoping that Leonard--a Los Angeles native like DeRozan--falls in love with the city and its notoriously raucous fans in the same way that DeRozan did. The trouble is that they've only got one season to sell him on Toronto as his new home, and Leonard is quite the mercurial and closed-off individual. I suppose Paul George's decision to remain in Oklahoma City is an instructive example of the conventional wisdom being wrong, but Leonard and George are vastly different personalities.

For the Spurs, it will certainly be interesting to see how DeRozan fares on a Gregg Popovich-coached team. It will also be interesting to see how Pop fares in what are surely his final years as an NBA coach. His contract with the Spurs runs until next summer. Will he sign an extension? For how long? How much gas does he have left in the tank? He chose not to retire when Tim Duncan hung up his spurs, and Kawhi Leonard's upward trajectory no doubt played a part in that decision. Leonard was meant to be Pop's next project, the transcendent two-way player he could develop and comfortably leave behind to carry on the Spurs' legacy of excellence. DeRozan is not without talent, but he's nowhere near transcendent. Pop's Midas Touch will probably keep the Spurs in the playoffs, but I do wonder how long he wants to endure the likelihood of first- and second-round exits in his sunset years.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think what this really came down to was that nobody else was really bidding on Kawhi.

Philly's package supposedly revolved around Saric and Covington. Nice players, but not enough for a guy who was a potential MVP candidate and maybe the best two way player in the NBA before his injury issues.

And the Lakers may have never even made an official offer. If they did I'd guess it was a lowball bid. Why give up much for a guy that you feel certain you can sign next offseason anyway?

I'm not sure why Toronto thinks they'll be able to convince him to stay. Kawhi has already been a part of a well run franchise and won a title and he wanted out from there. Not to mention, they had an all-star who spurned his hometown L.A. teams to re-sign with the Raptors and they traded him against his wishes anyway. Not a great look.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
I think what this really came down to was that nobody else was really bidding on Kawhi.

Philly's package supposedly revolved around Saric and Covington. Nice players, but not enough for a guy who was a potential MVP candidate and maybe the best two way player in the NBA before his injury issues.

And the Lakers may have never even made an official offer. If they did I'd guess it was a lowball bid. Why give up much for a guy that you feel certain you can sign next offseason anyway?

I'm not sure why Toronto thinks they'll be able to convince him to stay. Kawhi has already been a part of a well run franchise and won a title and he wanted out from there. Not to mention, they had an all-star who spurned his hometown L.A. teams to re-sign with the Raptors and they traded him against his wishes anyway. Not a great look.
I agree with this take but I would also add that I doubt Pop took any offers from West Coast Teams seriously. He does not seem to be kid of guy who arms his competition.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I like it because it hurts the Lakers. Sure, the Lakers could get Leonard in free agency for 2019-20, but LBJ turns 35 years old in that season and we've seen the Miami experience in which players need more than just one year to get comfortable with each other to win a championship (and that was three All Stars). No Paul George. No possibility of Leonard until LBJ turns 35. No championship. Maybe there might be some desperate and ill-advised moves from their front office to put them over the top. I hope so. It's all good.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I like it because it hurts the Lakers. Sure, the Lakers could get Leonard in free agency for 2019-20, but LBJ turns 35 years old in that season and we've seen the Miami experience in which players need more than just one year to get comfortable with each other to win a championship (and that was three All Stars). No Paul George. No possibility of Leonard until LBJ turns 35. No championship. Maybe there might be some desperate and ill-advised moves from their front office to put them over the top. I hope so. It's all good.
I honestly think this is great news for the Lakers of the world long term. Players show no loyalty. Teams show no loyalty. I'm not sure which egg hatched first but now we're at a guy who took a discount to stay with Toronto getting shipped to San Antonio without his consent. This is going to hurt teams like us.

In the end, the message to players is clearer than ever and the Lakers are long the destination of players looking to get theirs.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I honestly think this is great news for the Lakers of the world long term. Players show no loyalty. Teams show no loyalty. I'm not sure which egg hatched first but now we're at a guy who took a discount to stay with Toronto getting shipped to San Antonio without his consent. This is going to hurt teams like us.

In the end, the message to players is clearer than ever and the Lakers are long the destination of players looking to get theirs.
If they keep the core of young players, then yes, I agree with you. I just don't think that's going to happen. The pressure is enormous to win a championship in L.A. because they now have LBJ. I highly doubt they are willing to accept 6th or so in the west, and that's basically what they're looking at with the current lineup. The window of championship dreams is closing a little bit every single day because LBJ is on the downhill slide. In the end I think the Lakers sacrifice youth for experience to give them a shot at a title.

Last edited by a moderator: