De la Hoya vs. Hopkins

Any predictions? Anyone plan on watching? ...Anyone a boxing fan?

The Golden Boy the underdog? Its hard to believe on the surface, but Hopkins, rightfully so, is favored in so many areas. Just for kicks, I've got De la Hoya. I'd be more than surprised to see a KO on either side, but it should be a good fight either way.

yawn ..............

De La Hoya would throw a fight with his grandmother if it would mean a rematch and more money.

$59.95 ................ Please!

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Bigger and tougher man won the fight. No big surprise.

I have never, and still do not, think of Hopkins as an all-time great fighter. But he was a legend when I was in Philly -- just tougher and meaner than even the rest of the Philly fighters (which is saying something). And to still be doing it at 39...well, guy's no prince, but deserves a ton of his respect in his particular arena.

I was watching regis and kelly and kelly said De La Hoya was punched in the rib and it broke. I know that Kelly can exaggerate so I'm wondering if this is true. I wanted to see the fight but none of the sports bars in my area were showing it. But I'm glad I missed it becuase I was rooting for De La Hoya.:(

Bricklayer

De La Hoya has been 90% hype for years now. Hopkins has been 100% substance for his entire career. I have no doubt Oscar is more talented, younger, faster etc. But that has never mattered much with Hopkins. Always seems to find a way to win.

living legend said:
There was no way the preety boy was going to hang at the middle weight level. Dissapointing, nevertheless, to get knocked out by a body blow.
Yeah. I'm not a big boxing fan, but I can't remember ever hearing about someone at De la Hoya's status getting knocked out by a body shot. But if his rib really did break, then I can understand that.

jesus have you people never gotten into a fight? you talk about body blows like its nothing... it can sometimes be just as or even deadlier then a blow to the head. if someone gets a clean punch at your kidney i will give you $100 if you will stay standing. and after 8 rounds of boxing? im not suprised he went down.

Grobar said:
jesus have you people never gotten into a fight? you talk about body blows like its nothing... it can sometimes be just as or even deadlier then a blow to the head. if someone gets a clean punch at your kidney i will give you $100 if you will stay standing. and after 8 rounds of boxing? im not suprised he went down.
As far as I know, there is some truth to that. My brother used to box and there are several friends of the family who box as well who have/can attest to that. However, they also told me that De La Hoya was bound to lose either way. :cool:

Grobar said:
he was. hopkins was the better fighter, and im suprised more people didnt think that.
Unfortunately, Hype usually gets all the attention over substance. De La Hoya is done and you could see it coming several fights ago. Few saw it. Im guessing nobody does know?;)

G

Garliguy

Terrible fight. Both fighers were tenative throughout. Neither fighter was ever hurt, and Hopkins' knockout punch was extremely suspect -- not as bad as the phantom punch in Clay-Liston II, but suspicious nonetheless.

I saw Arturo Gatti knock out Leonard Dorin with a body shot with so much force that it made me cringe. Hopkins' punch to De La Hoya was nothing like that. Within minutes after the punch, De La Hoya was giving an interview with no signs at all that he was hurt in the least.

I'm not much for conspiracies, but this lame finish made me wonder.

G

Garliguy

Assuming De La Hoya took a dive to better align himself and Hopkins for a big bucks rematch, I think the strategy will backfire. This fight was so boring, I have no interest in paying to see a rematch.

(For the record, I don't honestly believe he threw the fight. I just don't understand how that punch toppled him -- especially considering that he had never been knocked out before.)

no i doubt it. there's no doubt in my mind he lost simply because hopkins was a superior fighter. i guess he was just tired, and the punch was well placed. that's what i'd like to believe anyway.

Bricklayer

A few years ago I saw Roy Jones break Virgil Hill's rib with a crunching hook. That's an excusable single shot body shot to go down on. You can also get worn down through a constant body assault. But if nothing breaks or ruptures its really hard to justify one body shot taking down a top conditioned boxer.

Bricklayer said:
A few years ago I saw Roy Jones break Virgil Hill's rib with a crunching hook. That's an excusable single shot body shot to go down on. You can also get worn down through a constant body assault. But if nothing breaks or ruptures its really hard to justify one body shot taking down a top conditioned boxer.
That's the thing, did Oscar look like a top conditioned boxer? He had to gain weight to fight and to me just didn't look good at all.

I agree with you Garliguy, that was just a plain boring fight. It was big names and little action.

I've seen the replay of Hagler-Leonard a few times, and this was nowhere near that level.

The best body punches I've seen were Gatti-Dorin and Jones-Virgil Hill, which was just plain brutal. This punch didn't look nearly as bad, but Emmanuel Steward did give a good explanation of it afterwards.

Last edited: