Current Team Discussion and Possible Trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Not knowing where the Nets pick will end up either year is part of the gamble.

The Timberwolves knew that they were getting the #1 pick and they knew it was Wiggins or Parker (or Embiid before he broke his foot) when they traded Love to the Cavs.

The Kings don't know what the pick would be

The Nets pick could land anywhere from 1-8 though im guessing it ends up being top four. The Nets pick for next season is even less certain. If the Kings were to wait until the offseason to trade Cousins to Boston (or another team with a high pick) they'd know what pick they'd get but if, say, the Nets pick was #1 overall, the Kings would almost certainly get less other assets in the deal.

What tips things for me is the need for the Kings to tank the rest of this season so that their pick is also a high lottery selection.

Unfortunately that means the Philly pick swap may come into play but as long as the Sixers remain terrible their pick will also be high.

And this is really shaping up to be a draft where two high lottery picks could be huge.
I agree that your taking a bit of a gamble making the trade at the trade deadline with no guarantee's where you'll be picking, but if your have to gamble, then this is the draft to do so. It's a very deep draft at the top. No doubt, it you can grab Fultz, your grabbing a player that in all likelyhood will be a franchise player, and one can speculate that Jackson would be in the running for that label as well. Land both those guys, and you off to a very good, and more balanced start.

Of course there are no guarantee's, but if you intend to trade Cousins, Boston can offer the most attractive package. And remember, we would have the Net's first round pick the following year as well. Before anyone reminds me that a team can't trade its first round pick two years in a row, I'll explain. This coming draft, the Celtics have the right to swap picks with the Net's if the Net's pick is lower. So in essence, Boston would be swapping picks with the Nets and trading it to us, and the Nets would still have a first round pick, just not their own.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
You guys still aren't getting that either. Cuz doesn't want to lose. Joerger doesn't want to lose. Vivek of course doesn't want to lose. And Rudy is playing good ball and could much easier be convinced to come back to a team he was just on where he had meshed well with the coach on the way to a playoff run.

Its hard to impossible to say "ok, you guys bust your tail out there"....meanwhile we'll just be over here undermining those efforts for "strategic reasons". We are very clearly trying to win. Trying to build an every night is a gritty fight mentality, just like Joerger had the team doing in Memphis. Its entirely possible we could make a move to get better. Its quite unlikely we could make one to get worse.
To me, Cousins and Gay are two entirely different issues. We know that Cuz loves being in Sacramento, and if he was to give us his word about resigning with us, I'd be inclined to take that as gold, although agents can be very convincing. But we have to trade Gay if we want something back in return. Like him or not, he's a very talented player, and has value in the league. I don't think the Kings are in a position to gamble on convincing him to return. Were not so loaded with wealth to the point where we can give away what wealth we have.

Let me say up front, that I would rather build around Cousins than trade him. But if the King have any indication from him that he might be open to entering the freeagent market after next year, then they need to trade him by the trade deadline. And, if your going to trade him, then it has to be sooner rather than later. Once the trade deadline passes, his value drops. That's just a fact folks. But, if Cuz gives me a handshake and says don't worry, I'm resigning with you guys, then call me crazy, but I'll take him at his word.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
It's just a question of time before Divac has the "blow it up" epiphany, if he hasn't already experienced it. You really want to aim for young talent that's been in the league for 1-3 years in which the talent isn't fully recognized in trade value because of the youth of the player, but will obviously germinate into very good to excellent players in a couple of years. By doing so, you eliminate some of the risk of the draft. You also buy some time because they've already been gaining experience in the league for a few years, so you won't have to wait as long for full germination. Karl-Anthony, Lavine, Wiggins, are a few examples; undoubtedly there are others. I have my doubts about such a trade happening merely with the Kings and one other team. It seems more likely that a 3-way deal has to occur.

Every NBA team would want Cousins if he was on the trade market. The problem is how many teams have assets they would be willing to part with plus are confident they could resign him. IF the Kings decide to move Cousins this year or next I think fans are going to be disappointed with the return.

Man, I'll say it again. If the Kings are looking to trade Cousins, I'd desperately call up the T-Wolves and ask if they'll be willing to give us LaVine.

He looks like he could be a potential superstar. He's made extreme strides every year in the NBA, and he's no longer being overshadowed by KAT and Wiggins.

K

KingMilz

I'd see if Philly has any interest in a Mclemore for Richaun Holmes deal, Holmes is everything we wanted Thomas Robinson to be plus more due to being bigger and more skilled, with Saric playing better and them already having Ersan/Okafor/Noel/Emibid he would have to be available. Defensively he has struggled this year cause he has to play C when he actually does play but at PF he's as quick/strong as anyone.

He's really got Taj Gibson type potential and is a much thicker body with a relentless motor, not sure he will ever be able to cover the perimeter on D like Taj can but very few do.

Unless Philly traded both of Noel/Okafor I don't see how they keep him I'm sure there's a ton of teams out there interested depending on what they do with there bigs.

I'd see if Philly has any interest in a Mclemore for Richaun Holmes deal, Holmes is everything we wanted Thomas Robinson to be plus more due to being bigger and more skilled, with Saric playing better and them already having Ersan/Okafor/Noel/Emibid he would have to be available. Defensively he has struggled this year cause he has to play C when he actually does play but at PF he's as quick/strong as anyone.

He's really got Taj Gibson type potential and is a much thicker body with a relentless motor, not sure he will ever be able to cover the perimeter on D like Taj can but very few do.

Unless Philly traded both of Noel/Okafor I don't see how they keep him I'm sure there's a ton of teams out there interested depending on what they do with there bigs.
Watched most Philly games, because of Embiid, but also came away impressed by Holmes. Therefore I'm not really sure, if the Sixers really want to part ways with him. Okafor can't shoot from outside (ok he can shoot a bid from mid range) . Noel can't shoot from outside. Both aren't good fits next to Embiid. Saric and Holmes could both play minutes alongside Embiid. A big man rotation of Embiid/Saric/Holmes/Ersan does look pretty solid. Okafor and Noel do get them more in a trade, than Holmes.

K

KingMilz

Watched most Philly games, because of Embiid, but also came away impressed by Holmes. Therefore I'm not really sure, if the Sixers really want to part ways with him. Okafor can't shoot from outside (ok he can shoot a bid from mid range) . Noel can't shoot from outside. Both aren't good fits next to Embiid. Saric and Holmes could both play minutes alongside Embiid. A big man rotation of Embiid/Saric/Holmes/Ersan does look pretty solid. Okafor and Noel do get them more in a trade, than Holmes.
Agree plus he's on a amazing deal but damn it would be nice if we could try get him if they decide to keep Noel/Okafor, it just sucks seeing players I know the Kings could use not even getting consistent playing time cause teams are trying to develop other players ahead of them.

If Noel comes back and plays well I can't see why him and Emibid could not play together, Joel has very single skill and having a elite athlete defender next to him is not a bad thing at all.

Edit: I forgot they had Simmons coming back as well so Noel is probably not a good idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree plus he's on a amazing deal but damn it would be nice if we could try get him if they decide to keep Noel/Okafor, it just sucks seeing players I know the Kings could use not even getting consistent playing time cause teams are trying to develop other players ahead of them.

If Noel comes back and plays well I can't see why him and Emibid could not play together, Joel has very single skill and having a elite athlete defender next to him is not a bad thing at all.

Edit: I forgot they had Simmons coming back as well so Noel is probably not a good idea.
I know this feeling so well......
It feels like almost every team in the league is outsmarting us and is making more out of their player personell than we do.

I think you may have to get used to the idea that we aren't trading him. He wants to be here, and we are starting to turn a corner.

I also think you should go read the updates on the whole lawsuit, because the odds of it going far are not great.
Its still another questionable media look, regardless how it plays out. I'm getting used to him not being moved, but I don't think the Kings will be offered fair value for his talent at this point, which in the end will continue to place him here regardless how Vlade/Cuz feel. Hope this is the best path

Apparently Mario Hezonja is available. I really wanted the Kings to draft him, maybe a Rudy Gay centered trade? Gay for Hezonja and Meeks or something along those lines? Not sure if those salaries match up, but it'd be cool to grab him.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Apparently Mario Hezonja is available. I really wanted the Kings to draft him, maybe a Rudy Gay centered trade? Gay for Hezonja and Meeks or something along those lines? Not sure if those salaries match up, but it'd be cool to grab him.
I had more ambitious thoughts than that. Depends on how the Magic feel about Serge playing better of late and whether he is gone at the end of the year for them. But Serge is in the way of Gordon. And rem that they used Afflalo as a 20ppg scorer. Meanwhile as a base the salaries almost exactly match:

Serge
Herzonja

for

Afflalo
Cauley-Stein

Last edited:
I had more ambitious thoughts than that. Depends on how the Magic feel about Serge playing better of late and whether he is gone at the end of the year for them. But Serge is in the way of Gordon. And rem that they used Afflalo as a 20ppg scorer. Meanwhile as a base the salaries almost exactly match:

Serge
Herzonja

for

Afflalo
Cauley-Stein
Oh man that's so lopsided lol. No way they would do that. Add Gay and I'd do that trade

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Oh man that's so lopsided lol. No way they would do that. Add Gay and I'd do that trade
I doubt it too. But its predicated on a) Serge has sucked for them, even when he doesn't. They are losing, and he's in their young players' way; and b) that their experience with Afflalo is different than anybody else's. For them, he was a big scorer.

And we need Gay to win. Therefore there is no "adding Gay" into random deals.

I doubt it too. But its predicated on a) Serge has sucked for them, even when he doesn't. They are losing, and he's in their young players' way; and b) that their experience with Afflalo is different than anybody else's. For them, he was a big scorer.

And we need Gay to win. Therefore there is no "adding Gay" into random deals.
The Magic just gave up Sabonis and Oladipo for Ibaka I would be very surprised if they considered that trade.

Mario for WCS seems like a fair trade. Both guys have been a disappointment so far. I don't know why the Magic would want another big but the value of both guys are probably the same

Mario is an awful defender who has value as a shooter but is hitting 17% of his 3s
I'd love to have Mario on this team. I know he's struggled in the NBA, but just watch his tapes in Europe. I feel confident that Vlade, Peja, and Joerger would be able to get through to him. He has too much talent not to be a star in the NBA. Just needs to get that attitude checked. He's had some trouble transitioning, but there's no real reason why he can't.

Easily trade WCS for Mario and let Skal come up.

And LETS STOP THE COUSINS TRADE TALK. I also took the bait and threw out ideas, but after he keeps coming out and saying how he loves it here it's flat out disrespectful.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Hezonja has played exactly like Bellinelli played last year. Why the hell would we trade for that? We got our young SG in Malachi Richardson who will be given a chance. Hezonja is going back to Europe at some point.

Hezonja has played exactly like Bellinelli played last year. Why the hell would we trade for that? We got our young SG in Malachi Richardson who will be given a chance. Hezonja is going back to Europe at some point.
Yeah, not only Malachi but Bogdan should be here next season. Im actually somewhat optimistic about that SG combination. I may be way off base but I keep thinking Bogdan will be our equivalent to Redick.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.