Cousins extension?

Do you agree with the extension?

• Total voters
Not seen this posted yet....

As speculation continues about possible DeMarcus Cousins trades, the Sacramento Kings appear committed to keeping him. According to ESPN's Marc Stein, the Kings plan to offer their franchise player an extension this summer that could be worth more than $200 million, using the designated player exception that will be available to teams under the new collective bargaining agreement.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/r...rcus-cousins-200m-plus-extension-this-summer/

Last edited by a moderator:

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
Since Cousins wants to suffer with the Kings for a bit longer, then why not! Make him the highest paid player in the league, even if it won't last long.

It's amazing to see the differences between fan sites for the kings on whether the members are pro boogie or anti boogie. At another site, reading all the anti comments make it seem like dmc kicked their babies or ran over their dogs and the world will end if we extended him.

It's amazing to see the differences between fan sites for the kings on whether the members are pro boogie or anti boogie. At another site, reading all the anti comments make it seem like dmc kicked their babies or ran over their dogs and the world will end if we extended him.
If the Kings lost Cousins without assets in return they'd have the worst situation in the league. Some fans on other sites do seem to blame Cuz for the teams struggles which seems very misguided, as he is the one thing on the floor that is right for the team

On the other hand, as an asset there is an argument for trading him if the team gets a generous rebuild package, and ensuring their own draft pick this year and next is quality by the team being worse. It's arguable that's a more viable long term path asset wise, given consideration to everything else

Of course the team has to receive a generous offer in the first place which I don't think is a given, and it's nice to not have to be pressured into any move, as keeping the best center in the league and building around him can still be fruitful

If the Kings lost Cousins without assets in return they'd have the worst situation in the league. Some fans on other sites do seem to blame Cuz for the teams struggles which seems very misguided, as he is the one thing on the floor that is right for the team

On the other hand, as an asset there is an argument for trading him if the team gets a generous rebuild package, and ensuring their own draft pick this year and next is quality by the team being worse. It's arguable that's a more viable long term path asset wise, given consideration to everything else

Of course the team has to receive a generous offer in the first place which I don't think is a given, and it's nice to not have to be pressured into any move, as keeping the best center in the league and building around him can still be fruitful
Normally I would see the point of getting picks/young talent out of him. But based on the kings drafting record as well as their ability to develop their young talent, I'm not so inclined to trade him.

lol sactownroyalty haha just say no.

But how can someone not suppprt the guy. First of all we have our star he wants to stay you keep him we could build around him now. Also do people not understand his value actually goes up when he signs that deal. lol I question some people.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
lol sactownroyalty haha just say no.

But how can someone not suppprt the guy. First of all we have our star he wants to stay you keep him we could build around him now. Also do people not understand his value actually goes up when he signs that deal. lol I question some people.
Exactly. He signs that extension this summer and lets say the Kings decide to cut ties with him in the following off season, that's still another 4 years of his services and regardless of salary, you best believe teams would throw the Nile River at Vlade to acquire him once his extension is in place.

Are no-trade clauses still not allowed when signing extensions? Quick google told me that's how it has been in the past. I figured Cousins would have the power to get one of those too but not sure about the rules.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Are no-trade clauses still not allowed when signing extensions? Quick google told me that's how it has been in the past. I figured Cousins would have the power to get one of those too but not sure about the rules.
Per Larry Coons:

1 A no-trade clause cannot be negotiated into an extension, unless player's existing contract or extension already contained a no-trade clause.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q100

Yes, but Vlade needs to get his butt in gear here and make something happen. Money and Joerger should not be the only 2 selling points come this off-season for Boogie.

I'm not into cap space calculations. So my question is, what this kind of max extension would do to our ability to get Cousins the much needed help to make this team a contender?

L

Lopes

I'm not into cap space calculations. So my question is, what this kind of max extension would do to our ability to get Cousins the much needed help to make this team a contender?
Our largest problem is reputation not cap space. Teams with good reps always seem to find a way to get talent.

Our largest problem is reputation not cap space. Teams with good reps always seem to find a way to get talent.
True but it takes a yearslong established foundation, that has proven it is able to compete for a title to get proven talent under market value. And it takes a good scouting department and a good culture and core players to guide new unproven talent, so that it helps the team. The Kings haven't established a foundation yet. I think we need another good player to develop anything close to a foundation, that can win in todays league. And only winning consistently will fix our bad reputation.
Extending Cousins is a no brainer. But it only makes sense, if there is enough cap space left to build a team able to win it all around him.

Its definitely much money (starts at 35 mil and goes up to 43 mil at the end of the deal if I am informed correctly) but the cap will go up as well so we still would be able to give a max contract to someone else easily (would be about 30 to 35 mil). Generally the rule of thumb regarding max contracts is that a max contraxt to a superstar is a team friendly deal since the superstar is worth much more. So if you are convinced that Cousins is able to lead you to the playoffs then the contract shouldnt be a problem.

L

Lopes

True but it takes a yearslong established foundation, that has proven it is able to compete for a title to get proven talent under market value. And it takes a good scouting department and a good culture and core players to guide new unproven talent, so that it helps the team. The Kings haven't established a foundation yet. I think we need another good player to develop anything close to a foundation, that can win in todays league. And only winning consistently will fix our bad reputation.
Extending Cousins is a no brainer. But it only makes sense, if there is enough cap space left to build a team able to win it all around him.
I'm not so sure look at the twolves. They aren't putting Ws up but their rep of up and coming comes from great team management . Unfortunately we have given many of our future assets away.

Last edited by a moderator:
To me Cousins has the talent of a max player but lacks the leadership of a max player. Yah someone will give him top dollar but I wouldn't if it were my franchise. Just my opinion
I know Cousins is a crapty leader, but I think we'd still have to give him the max though. He's our best player, by far. If things don't work out, we could always trade him too.

I think Cousins' leadership is one of the main things stopping him from being a superstar. 6 years into the NBA, and he still complains like he's 18. If he gets his attitude checked, and finally matures, then he could be a top 5 player. Hopefully he realizes that sooner than later............................

Give the man a max deal, but structured in a way that certain goals (max number of technicals, ejections, suspensions, fines, off-court behavior) have to be met. That way you reward him for his talents, skills and contributions but incentivize leadership and good behavior. You make it up to him to reach the max by promoting changes in behavior that are within his control - he can't control whether we win or lose, but he can control the way he carries himself and the choices he makes.

He's eligible to receive 35% of the cap space through the player designation rule (30% if he leaves) and 5 year extension (4 years if he leaves). I think when I ran the numbers before it was based on projected cap of $107M in 2017-2018. It worked out to 5 year / 220M with 8% max annual raises (4 year / 140M max at 5% raises if he leaves).

The largest contract in the history of the NBA is 5 year / $153M signed by Conley (overpay!). The Kings don't have to max out Boogie to make him the highest paid player in NBA history. The hope would be if he loves SAC as much as he says he'd be willing to "settle" for the largest contract ever, say 5 years/ 180M without demanding the max, 220M, to give us more flexibility to sign other dudes.

Im so conflicted. On one hand I don't want him going anywhere because of his undeniable talent and the fact that for all intent and purposes, he's been loyal to our franchise. I'd love to make a playoff run with boogie leading the way. On the other hand I have absolutely zero confidence in vivek and vlade being able to build a winner around him and am afraid of having to watch this same style of basketball for six more years. Given the horrendous job of building around cousins our front office has displayed, I'm very intrigued by the idea of starting fresh with high upside draft picks to try and build a new culture. It's just getting harder and harder to really root for the kings when you know seasons like this one and the previous three are basically guarantees at this point.

Im so conflicted. On one hand I don't want him going anywhere because of his undeniable talent and the fact that for all intent and purposes, he's been loyal to our franchise. I'd love to make a playoff run with boogie leading the way. On the other hand I have absolutely zero confidence in vivek and vlade being able to build a winner around him and am afraid of having to watch this same style of basketball for six more years. Given the horrendous job of building around cousins our front office has displayed, I'm very intrigued by the idea of starting fresh with high upside draft picks to try and build a new culture. It's just getting harder and harder to really root for the kings when you know seasons like this one and the previous three are basically guarantees at this point.
With new CBA, if we trade him, the acquiring team does not get to invoke the player designated rule. This will suppress trade offers, since his new team will not be at advantage to resign him. Another variable is viral video of verbal abuse of old man that will make GMs more skittish than they might have been to bet the farm.

On the plus, Boogie's offensive stats are superstar worthy for the first time: 3rd in NBA in PPG 56% TS and 1.3 assists and consistent defense. There are those who will tell you 53% TS, 0.8 assist to turnover and defense when he feels like it qualifies as max player....don't believe to them!

Bottom line is I think the Kings should feel more comfortable about an extension given his commitment to city, elevated play and conditioning within context of aforementioned variables, factoring the Kings are unlikely to get a Godfather offer between now and trade deadline. If a trade is to go to down, I think it will happen AFTER he signs his extension not before.

This doesn't mean we should rubber stamp a max deal! His leadership sucks. He does not inspire or encourage or make teammates better. His constant pouting and ongoing dialogue with officials is a nuisance and drag on the the team. He punched out a dude in a nightclub and bragged about it. And he's prone to force the issue when things don't go his way and let it affect his defense. Add it up, and Boogie is still likely to remain a King. I'd pencil him at 5/180M and not a penny more!