Coaching Candidates for next season (merged)

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think Ettote Messina has a great chance of being our next coach. He has everything Vlade is rumored to want: Exerince, Leadership, defense approach, team ball, and no nonsense.

Crazy that Pop said Ettore got his teams to move the ball better than the spurs. Also Ettore preaches playing inside out. Hopefully Vlade can woe him in I know Pop loves vlade so he would push Ettore to take the job.

http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2015/5/29/8679755/ettore-messina-pelicans-spurs-coach-demps-popovich
Messina would make a lot of sense. And I'm guessing Vlade is familiar with him. Would Messina want the Kings job? Or could Vlade convince him to take it?

Well, if Vlade wants to interview Messina or Udoka and either (or both) of these guys are interested now may be the time with the Spurs having swept the Grizzlies.

Messina would make a lot of sense. And I'm guessing Vlade is familiar with him. Would Messina want the Kings job? Or could Vlade convince him to take it?

Well, if Vlade wants to interview Messina or Udoka and either (or both) of these guys are interested now may be the time with the Spurs having swept the Grizzlies.
The good thing is Coach Pop is on record backing Vlade let's hope he has DMC back as we'll. Messina likes playing through the post so DMC should be an attractive piece to him.

The Charge of the Light Brigade
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Storm'd at with shot and shell,
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.

Copied from Poems of Alfred Tennyson,
J. E. Tilton and Company, Boston, 1870

This is the one I thought of when you'll went on the tangent. But not all died in this one.

Vlade played with Luke and we're way closer to being competitive. LA is not a better job.
It's a much better job than here. They have Russell+Clarkson+Randle AND the #2/3 pick(Simmons/Ingram). PLUS a load of cap space.

Young talented roster in LA...or DeMarcus in Sacramento? That's not hard to pick lol

Plus, Walton won't be in any pressure to put out a winning product for the new arena. The Lakers will give him lots of time to build a potential dynasty.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Vlade played with Luke
...on the Lakers, where Walton was drafted, played the vast majority of his career and won two titles. Don't know if Luke grew up as a Lakers fan, but he was in San Diego, so it's a reasonable guess.

and we're way closer to being competitive. LA is not a better job.
Being competitive this year isn't necessarily going to be a draw for Walton. He doesn't have a lot of experience under his belt, and the Lakers aren't planning to win for a few years. It would be a lower-pressure job where he could get some on-the-job experience and he would know that the Lakers will have the means to exceed the luxury tax to build a roster once their young core is ready. Meanwhile, we've been firing coaches left and right.

I'm not saying that Walton is going to be a great coach - I have no idea - but if we're hoping that he'll pick us over the Lakers (assuming both teams offer), I think we're hoping against hope.

...on the Lakers, where Walton was drafted, played the vast majority of his career and won two titles. Don't know if Luke grew up as a Lakers fan, but he was in San Diego, so it's a reasonable guess.

Being competitive this year isn't necessarily going to be a draw for Walton. He doesn't have a lot of experience under his belt, and the Lakers aren't planning to win for a few years. It would be a lower-pressure job where he could get some on-the-job experience and he would know that the Lakers will have the means to exceed the luxury tax to build a roster once their young core is ready. Meanwhile, we've been firing coaches left and right.

I'm not saying that Walton is going to be a great coach - I have no idea - but if we're hoping that he'll pick us over the Lakers (assuming both teams offer), I think we're hoping against hope.
Then one has to ask just how healthy is Steve Kerr's back? Is he in it for the long haul? Maybe Walton ends being the head coach of the W's?

It's a much better job than here. They have Russell+Clarkson+Randle AND the #2/3 pick(Simmons/Ingram). PLUS a load of cap space.

Young talented roster in LA...or DeMarcus in Sacramento? That's not hard to pick lol

Plus, Walton won't be in any pressure to put out a winning product for the new arena. The Lakers will give him lots of time to build a potential dynasty.
Randle is overrated and Russell is a rat in the eyes of everyone on the league. Good luck building a franchise around that dude.

You're right, we've got DeMarcus... and if it all goes to **** we ship him out and bring in a Kings ransom.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Los Angeles would be lower pressure than Sacramento? I don't know about that one.
For the first few years while he's getting experience, yes. We've got a brand new arena starting next year, and we want to be in the playoffs starting next year. The Lakers are in a very different point in their rebuild cycle.

For the first few years while he's getting experience, yes. We've got a brand new arena starting next year, and we want to be in the playoffs starting next year. The Lakers are in a very different point in their rebuild cycle.
Sure the Lakers have completely sucked the last couple seasons.. I think what has made it more tolerable for their fans is the fact that it was Kobe's ride out to the sunset.

Kobe is now retired and as much as we hated Karl, Laker fans felt pretty damn similar to Scott the last two years. More importantly, these are Laker fans we are talking about. These are same clowns that take 2 hours to get ready before every ball game. NBA basketball existed purely for them in there eyes.

Just look at this ***hole...

LA fans have been spoon fed some of the greatest NBA players to play the game consecutively since day one. They are not going to be patiently waiting for an immature Russell to get his head out of his ass. The guy is a toddler who is cares more about his IG followers than his teammates. Russell will flop, and I will smile.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
j

Wh n the world (says a senior citizen) could not react to "Earl Flynn"? You beat me to it, PF!
Who in the world? Hell, my guess it that most people under the age of 50 don't even know who he is. I watched a show where they were asking young people on a beach in Florida who we fought in the revolutionary war, and the majority of them said France. If they don't know the answer to that, how would they know who Errol Flynn is?

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The Charge of the Light Brigade
Alfred, Lord Tennyson
Half a league, half a league,
Half a league onward,
All in the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.
"Forward, the Light Brigade!
"Charge for the guns!" he said:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

"Forward, the Light Brigade!"
Was there a man dismay'd?
Not tho' the soldier knew
Someone had blunder'd:
Theirs not to make reply,
Theirs not to reason why,
Theirs but to do and die:
Into the valley of Death
Rode the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon in front of them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
Boldly they rode and well,
Into the jaws of Death,
Into the mouth of Hell
Rode the six hundred.

Flash'd all their sabres bare,
Flash'd as they turn'd in air,
Sabring the gunners there,
Charging an army, while
All the world wonder'd:
Plunged in the battery-smoke
Right thro' the line they broke;
Cossack and Russian
Reel'd from the sabre stroke
Shatter'd and sunder'd.
Then they rode back, but not
Not the six hundred.

Cannon to right of them,
Cannon to left of them,
Cannon behind them
Volley'd and thunder'd;
While horse and hero fell,
They that had fought so well
Came thro' the jaws of Death
Back from the mouth of Hell,
All that was left of them,
Left of six hundred.

When can their glory fade?
O the wild charge they made!
All the world wondered.
Honor the charge they made,
Honor the Light Brigade,
Noble six hundred.

Copied from Poems of Alfred Tennyson,
J. E. Tilton and Company, Boston, 1870

This is the one I thought of when you'll went on the tangent. But not all died in this one.
Thanks for posting that. It's probably been a thousand years since I read that. Unfortunately I lost all my books in a flood in Mulege in 2005. My worse loss was the entire works of a crazy man named D. H. Lawrence. And he was crazy folks, but a genius at the same time.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Sure the Lakers have completely sucked the last couple seasons.. I think what has made it more tolerable for their fans is the fact that it was Kobe's ride out to the sunset.

Kobe is now retired and as much as we hated Karl, Laker fans felt pretty damn similar to Scott the last two years. More importantly, these are Laker fans we are talking about. These are same clowns that take 2 hours to get ready before every ball game. NBA basketball existed purely for them in there eyes.

Just look at this ***hole...

LA fans have been spoon fed some of the greatest NBA players to play the game consecutively since day one. They are not going to be patiently waiting for an immature Russell to get his head out of his ass. The guy is a toddler who is cares more about his IG followers than his teammates. Russell will flop, and I will smile.
I'm always curious why anyone would root for the failure of a young man starting out in life. I think it's fine to root against him when your team is playing his team, but to root for him to fail in his profession I don't understand. What do you gain from his failure?

[Jason Jones] One sidenote re: Kevin McHale. More than one person has told me he doesn't like California so him taking the Kings job would be a surprise

So how is he the frontrunner, yet doesn't like Cal and wouldn't take it most likely? I'm just going to wait until there is an official hire for whoever it is.
makes sense. mchale is a minnesota guy through and through, he played his entire career in boston, and his gm/coaching stints have never taken him further west than texas. california may not hold much appeal to someone like that, though he definitely remains one of the candidates for the kings' head coaching vacancy that i'm intrigued by...

makes sense. mchale is a minnesota guy through and through, he played his entire career in boston, and his gm/coaching stints have never taken him further west than texas. california may not hold much appeal to someone like that, though he definitely remains one of the candidates for the kings' head coaching vacancy that i'm intrigued by...
I don't mind if he is "Feeling Minnesota" as long as he is "Looking California"

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If they can get McHale to come to town, somebody needs to take him up to Truckee to look at potential homes. I would have thought his years in Houston meant he was over all that, but if he has to freeze his ass off in order to feel at home...

Vlade played with Luke and we're way closer to being competitive. LA is not a better job.
Are we closer to being competitive than the Lakers? Yes, but that doesn't mean we are going to be competing for a title any time soon. Under a better head coach we might have got into the play offs as the 7th or 8th seed, but one could argue that this team is not really built around a core of players that could develop into a future top four seed. Look at our starting unit:

- PG: Rajon Rondo is 30 years old and while he's a good passer, he's inconsistent as a shooter and on defense, he's no longer the all star he used to be. And there that's without considering there is no guarantee he re-signs with us this off season.
- SG: No consistent or effective production. Ben McLemore has been a bust. Seth Curry is undersized and streaky.
- SF: Rudy Gay is nearly 30 years old and he's a streaky player on offense and defense. He's always been one of those guys that can have a big night, followed by a few head scratching performances. He's a frustrating player because he has talent, but he's streaky and that's probably why the Grizzlies and Raptors improved when they traded him.
- PF: Willie Cauley-Stein has shown flashes that he could become a decent player, but he's still raw and developing, and unless he develops as a shooter and improves his scoring prowess, he is always going to be a fairly limited player with impactful defense.
- C: Cousins, obviously a star and one of the best players in the league at this position.

At the end of the day we might have a star in Cousins, but he has a flawed supporting cast of starters. We have some decent talent for off the bench like Collison, Curry, Casspi, and Koufos. But when it comes down to our starting unit there is no real potential to see this team become a title contender. We might be able to sneak into the play offs as a 7th or 8th seed, but in all likelihood this team built in this fashion will get swept. So for us to have a bright future where we can become better than a 7th or 8th seed that gets swept, we need to hope Vlade has a big off season where he improves Cousins' supporting cast, otherwise this job will not be better than the Lakers because while they could have a bright future if their young talent reach their ceilings, ours will be limited by a flawed roster stuck in an awkward position of not being anything more than a 7th or 8th seed.

Randle is overrated and Russell is a rat in the eyes of everyone on the league. Good luck building a franchise around that dude.

You're right, we've got DeMarcus... and if it all goes to **** we ship him out and bring in a Kings ransom
The problem with the - "if it doesn't work we can trade Cousins for a ransom" - route is that we don't have very long to actually come to that decision. We have him under contract for two more seasons then he becomes an unrestricted free agent. So we have two off seasons and two periods up to the trade deadline to make a decision on Cousins, and the closer we get to that second trade deadline, the lower the price will be.

As for the Lakers. Russell messed up, but there's no reason bridges can't be repaired if he matures. Randle doesn't seem to be a future star, but he could certainly be a useful player. And if they keep their pick in this year's draft they could land a potential star in Simmons or Ingram. They have a good young core to build around and they can shape it how they want from here on out. If they want to try and build a Warriors like system, they can try and replicate it. If they want to try and build a Thunder type system, they can try and replicate it. Why? Because they have young talented players to build around, and likewise, a ton of cap space to bring in players that could fit what they are trying to build. Plus, they are the Lakers and that is something you can't deny holds an attraction to certain players.

Difference with us is that we are built around a flawed roster. The only starter worth building around long term is Cousins, the rest are flawed or streaky players, with perhaps the exception being WCS because he's still raw and developing. But we have two off seasons to put together a better supporting cast for Cousins to persuade him to stay here long term, and to be honest, there really isn't a clear cut route to follow. Free agency is going to be tough to persuade the best players or difference makers to sign here. And we don't have a high draft pick unless we win the lottery. So really we need to hope Vlade hits multiple home runs with the coaching decision and some smart moves in free agency or trade market, because if he doesn't, this team will be in rebuild mode two years from now.

So an argument could be made that the Lakers are in a better situation because they have young talent with a lot of potential, and they can put together a team in the style they want because they have flexibility. We don't have that same young talent or flexibility, or even draw that the Lakers have.

Word is McHale doesn't want to coach in California (probably a smokescreen that he just doesn't want to come here) and Walton has no interest. I'm starting to think we're going to have a crap coach going into next season.