Coaching Candidates for next season (merged)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Walton, McHale and Udoka are the guys I like the most of the coaches rumored to be on Vlade's list.

My only concern with Walton is how he'd utilize a big man like Cousins, though I'm guessing his dad would give him some pointers.

McHale might not be the most exciting name but I'm confident he'd make good use of Boogie. His previous experience as a GM is a nice bonus as long as there are no Joe Smith type incidents.

With Udoka I like his pedigree, his ability to communicate and teach and his experience as a player in different leagues and on a lot of different teams. Part of why I think journeymen players often make good coaches is that (1) they had to rely on playing hard and fundamentally to stay in the NBA and (2) playing under a lot of different coaches and being in a lot of different locker rooms lets those guys see what works and what doesn't and helps them shape how they want to do things as a coach.
I'm on board with you. My top three choices are McHale, Udoka, and Walton. I also liked Brooks, but he's a moot point now. I have them in no particular order, but I'm probably leaning, for no good reason, toward Udoka. Call the the Pop's syndrome if you will. I will admit that after reading the article about Mitchell posted in another thread, I look at him in a completely different light. Very impressive article.

My top choices would be Kevin mchale, because I think he would have dmc's respect and he seems to be a coach that would play the big man game.

My next choice is ime udoka, seems an up and coming coach, much like mike Malone was. Comes from the popovich tree, so should help.

Luke Walton is wild card here. He seems like a bright up and coming coach, but I'm afraid he will try to run the same run and gun system that golden state uses, but that would fail badly with the Kings personnel.

I don't know enough about Udoka's coaching personality to recommend him or not but I did like him as a player. I'm wary of going the assistant route though because we're a veteran team now and we need to find a coach who'll be here for a long time. I suppose if you're reasonably confident in their abilities and attitude you could role the dice with a first-time NBA head coach, but my preference would be to go with someone with a track record. I like Nate McMillan and Mike Woodson or possibly Sam Mitchell.

I'm not sold on Kevin McHale. He's a no-nonsense kind of guy and I like him as a commentator but he drove Kyle Lowry out of Houston leaving a massive hole in their lineup (and he's become one of the best PGs in the league since). Then they had to trade Omer Asik because McHale couldn't make it work with Dwight Howard and Omer Asik on the floor together. He represents a compromise between Vivek's obsession with Pace and Vlade's more traditional roster construction choices, but if it were up to me I'd go full anti-Warriors with the slowest pace in the league and just suffocate the other team with overwhelming size on the inside and constant defensive pressure. That's Woodson or Nate McMillan
1. No, that was Morey accumulating assets to trade for Harden. Even then, no one thought Lowry was on his way to stardom. Hell, the Raptors were nearly ready to flip him to the Knicks for a first round pick before they got good after the Rudy Gay trade

2. How is this pairing supposed to work? Two bigs with absolutely 0 range/offensive skill/ 0 ability to step out on the perimeter? Not on McHale.

I don't know enough about what went on with Lowry to comment on that but I'm not going to hold the Asik/Howard thing against McHale. Both are big guys who can't play away from the basket at all. I mean, Dwight Howard doesn't have a post up game OR a face up game so I'm not sure how you can work things to have those two playing effectively off one another.

Duncan/Robinson worked because Robinson was more of a face up player. Divac/Webber worked because both guys could work from the elbow or the top of the key or in the post and both were good passers. Howard/Asik really had no way of working out well.
Duncan was absolutely dirty from 15 feet out with his footwork and ability to get to the rim too. Also had that sweet jumper.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
1. No, that was Morey accumulating assets to trade for Harden. Even then, no one thought Lowry was on his way to stardom. Hell, the Raptors were nearly ready to flip him to the Knicks for a first round pick before they got good after the Rudy Gay trade

2. How is this pairing supposed to work? Two bigs with absolutely 0 range/offensive skill/ 0 ability to step out on the perimeter? Not on McHale.
I thought Kyle Lowry was a star in the making and was even willing to trade our #5 pick that year just to add him into our backcourt next to Tyreke. Actually, no less an authority than you yourself said at the time that Lowry was the best defensive PG in the NBA and good enough to be a #2 option on a playoff team. Is that not a star player? So that's already two people who thought he was headed for stardom. I was shocked when he eventually got traded for nothing more than a protected future pick. That was a straight salary dump for Houston and it was all over the papers that Lowry and McHale weren't getting along and Lowry wanted out so they pretty much had to take what they could get.

The Asik and Howard pairing isn't a match made in heaven. I wouldn't expect them to start together but they should be able to anchor a frontcourt rotation at least. I admit now that the Asik move probably had more to do with adding cap space than anything else. But it does worry me a little bit that McHale couldn't find a way to keep two defensive bigs happy on a playoff team. Both were getting paid and they were winning. The only reason for Asik to be unhappy is that he didn't understand his role or didn't like the minutes/touches he was restricted to. That does put a hint of doubt into the "McHale is a big friendly coach who would get along with Cousins" storyline doesn't it? DeMarcus has more in common with Asik in terms of physical profile and skillset than he does with Howard.

Putting everything together -- Lowry demanding a trade or a coaching change, Dragic taking a contract in Phoenix even though he had a guaranteed starting gig in Houston, Jeremy Lin getting traded after quickly fading from "Linsanity" prominence in 1 year under McHale... I just don't see a slam dunk coaching option there. McHale has a very short track record as head coach, and even those 2 50-win seasons are marred by a mini-exodus of disgruntled players. Who gets fired 11 games into the season after taking his team within 3 games of the Finals the year before? They were the second worst team in the league defensively at that point (guess who was the worst :) ) and Houston still owed him $12 million. Something went seriously wrong in a hurry for them to cut him loose like that.

I don't know anything about McHale's attitude in the locker room. A year ago his players were singing his praises. I just get a bad feeling about his time in Houston. I hated the way that team played. The circumstances around his dismissal are suspicious. The best PG they've had in a decade or more got traded primarily because he couldn't get along with McHale (he's since admitted that he learned a lot from McHale and should have listened to him more). If he doesn't hit it off like gangbusters with Cousins, we could be repeating our mistake with a stubborn outspoken coach who rubs people the wrong way and players quitting on the coach mid-season.

PS -- Digging up that old topic just makes me even more upset that we could have added Kyle Lowry and Andre Drummond that year to a lineup that already included Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins. Maybe even Nic Batum in free agency. We got straight up screwed out of a perennial playoff team by the Maloofs' shenanigans. Worst possible timing. You know they were already phoning it in and dumping assets left and right by that point.

Last edited:
James Ham on the Sacramento Kings coaching search on RealGM radio:

The Sacramento Kings have not told anybody who theyre bringing in for an interview. (...) Its not them putting any of the information out there. Its 100 percent driven by people who are trying to get some of these coaching applicants a job.
More Ham:
Do you think Brian Shaw is getting the Sacranento Kings coaching job? Do you think Sam Mitchell is getting the Sacramento Kings coaching job? Or Mike Woodson? I could keep going down the list. But that doesnt stop them from at least looking and seeing who is out there and letting Vlade Divac feel/ I mean, again, I think one of the thinks I'll point to: the other failures of the George Karl situation is (...) the Sacramento Kings walked into the last season with not a single coach on the staff outside George Karl that has ever coached an NBA game on his own. And then you look at the Clippers staff and theyve got Mike Woodson, theyve got Laurence Frank. I mean they have 800 games, 1000 games, 1500 games of experience on their staff. Well, when youre doing an extensive coaching search and you know that a lot of these coaches dont have jobs and they wanna come in and interview, maybe they dont get the head coaching job, maybe Vinny Del Negro doesnt get the head coaching job, maybe Mike Woodson doesnt, or Sam Mitchell, but would you mind having a couple of those on your bench?
(...)
So why not open up an extensive search since everyone else is done and bring in everyone that you can possibly think of to give you a really good idea of what is available and some ideas that you dont have? (...) There are some coaches that have been highly succesfull in other places and their run ended. A guy like Nate McMillan, are you kidding me? How has that guy not been a head coach for three years in the league?
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/realgm/2016/04/21/118-kings-with-james-ham-of-csn-california

I thought Kyle Lowry was a star in the making and was even willing to trade our #5 pick that year just to add him into our backcourt next to Tyreke. Actually, no less an authority than you yourself said at the time that Lowry was the best defensive PG in the NBA and good enough to be a #2 option on a playoff team. Is that not a star player? So that's already two people who thought he was headed for stardom. I was shocked when he eventually got traded for nothing more than a protected future pick. That was a straight salary dump for Houston and it was all over the papers that Lowry and McHale weren't getting along and Lowry wanted out so they pretty much had to take what they could get.

The Asik and Howard pairing isn't a match made in heaven. I wouldn't expect them to start together but they should be able to anchor a frontcourt rotation at least. I admit now that the Asik move probably had more to do with adding cap space than anything else. But it does worry me a little bit that McHale couldn't find a way to keep two defensive bigs happy on a playoff team. Both were getting paid and they were winning. The only reason for Asik to be unhappy is that he didn't understand his role or didn't like the minutes/touches he was restricted to. That does put a hint of doubt into the "McHale is a big friendly coach who would get along with Cousins" storyline doesn't it? DeMarcus has more in common with Asik in terms of physical profile and skillset than he does with Howard.

Putting everything together -- Lowry demanding a trade or a coaching change, Dragic taking a contract in Phoenix even though he had a guaranteed starting gig in Houston, Jeremy Lin getting traded after quickly fading from "Linsanity" prominence in 1 year under McHale... I just don't see a slam dunk coaching option there. McHale has a very short track record as head coach, and even those 2 50-win seasons are marred by a mini-exodus of disgruntled players. Who gets fired 11 games into the season after taking his team within 3 games of the Finals the year before? They were the second worst team in the league defensively at that point (guess who was the worst :) ) and Houston still owed him $12 million. Something went seriously wrong in a hurry for them to cut him loose like that.

I don't know anything about McHale's attitude in the locker room. A year ago his players were singing his praises. I just get a bad feeling about his time in Houston. I hated the way that team played. The circumstances around his dismissal are suspicious. The best PG they've had in a decade or more got traded primarily because he couldn't get along with McHale (he's since admitted that he learned a lot from McHale and should have listened to him more). If he doesn't hit it off like gangbusters with Cousins, we could be repeating our mistake with a stubborn outspoken coach who rubs people the wrong way and players quitting on the coach mid-season.

PS -- Digging up that old topic just makes me even more upset that we could have added Kyle Lowry and Andre Drummond that year to a lineup that already included Tyreke Evans and DeMarcus Cousins. Maybe even Nic Batum in free agency. We got straight up screwed out of a perennial playoff team by the Maloofs' shenanigans. Worst possible timing. You know they were already phoning it in and dumping assets left and right by that point.
I thought Lowry was going to be a star too. Also thought the same about Harden(not to this extent), Bledsoe, and Reggie Jackson. I think the Kings need to hire us for crowd sourcing. Most of those players were had for chump change.

Next star in the making: Fournier

I'm a bit skeptical around McHale. How much of that Rockets success was due to him? and how much of it was due to Harden? They won a lot of their games by just giving the rock to Harden. I think McHale is a solid coaching hire, but it seems like he's clashed heads with some players. I think the Kings should just look elsewhere at guys like Walton and Udoka. Younger coaches who will be able to relate to our guys a lot more...Brad Stevens in the making?

I thought Kyle Lowry was a star in the making and was even willing to trade our #5 pick that year just to add him into our backcourt next to Tyreke. Actually, no less an authority than you yourself said at the time that Lowry was the best defensive PG in the NBA and good enough to be a #2 option on a playoff team.
I really appreciate when someone does the research and quotes older posts that apply to current ones.

Bravo.

Last edited by a moderator:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I thought Lowry was going to be a star too. Also thought the same about Harden(not to this extent), Bledsoe, and Reggie Jackson. I think the Kings need to hire us for crowd sourcing. Most of those players were had for chump change.

Next star in the making: Fournier

I'm a bit skeptical around McHale. How much of that Rockets success was due to him? and how much of it was due to Harden? They won a lot of their games by just giving the rock to Harden. I think McHale is a solid coaching hire, but it seems like he's clashed heads with some players. I think the Kings should just look elsewhere at guys like Walton and Udoka. Younger coaches who will be able to relate to our guys a lot more...Brad Stevens in the making?
Hey, I'm proud of you. Being willing to admit some mistakes is admirable. Of course I say that, knowing that I might lead the pack in mistakes. So it's nice to have company. Truth is, it's not an exact science, and the reason is, there are human beings involved instead of hard cold numbers on a black board. Change one little part of the equation, and you change the outcome. Just ask Tyreke Evans. Who you play with, or who your coach is, can change the outcome of your season. The fan's only see you. They don't see how you feel in the morning when you go to the gym to work out. Players aren't machines. They're human beings with feelings. They catch the flu just like us. They argue with their wives and kids, just like us, and they carry that around with them into games, just like we carry it into work.

Point is, there are always circumstances involved. When the outcome doesn't match the perceived results, which are based on past results over a proven amount of time, it probably has more to do with the environment than the failings of the player. A coach is like a player. He has a bunch of tools in the tool box. It's up to him to pull the right tool out for the right situation. Obviously some coaches are better at that than others. I make no predictions, other than I think someone in the coming draft will be a star. How's that?

Hey now, my memory ain't what it used to be when I was 20 :)

Still, I don't think anyone expected Lowry to explode the way he has into a top 15-20 player.

I think a lot of Houston's issues come squarely from its 2 best players in Harden and Howard. It seems likely they went to Morey and said "It's us or him" and were just tired of playing for him. And the bench reaction to Harden hitting the game winner speaks volumes about what the team chemistry of that club is. McHale to me got a lot of his teams and its players. As for his coaching style, he adapted to what he was given.

I like Walton more,but McHale would be a good fit here. Think he and Cousins would mesh well and he'd be able to relate to Cousins on-court demeanor.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
People love to point out how unorganized the Kings are when leaks come out but this coaching searh process has been extremely secretive. Gotta give it up to the front office for not letting anything out.
It's hard not to leak anything anymore someway somehow these days, everything is dominated by social media. I do like the keep everything close to the vest approach though, it's a Petrie move.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Nitpick: It's into the valley of death rode the six hundred. (Thank you, Mr. Hobbs.)
Picky, picky, picky. Six hundred/one hundred, they all got killed along with Earl Flynn. Been a while since I read the book. Capt is right, I was thinking of the charge of the fat-free brigade..

I think Ettote Messina has a great chance of being our next coach. He has everything Vlade is rumored to want: Exerince, Leadership, defense approach, team ball, and no nonsense.

Crazy that Pop said Ettore got his teams to move the ball better than the spurs. Also Ettore preaches playing inside out. Hopefully Vlade can woe him in I know Pop loves vlade so he would push Ettore to take the job.

http://www.thebirdwrites.com/2015/5/29/8679755/ettore-messina-pelicans-spurs-coach-demps-popovich

I think we would play our best ball with reducing DMC usage and having him at 23ppg-12rpg4apg instead of 27-11-3. Also we would need to rid ourselves of ball dominate me 1st players (rondo and Gay)

Collison-Lee-Ariza-Anderson-DMC
Would provide us with elite shooting and very good defense. While having play that would move the ball ala Spurs/Hawks.

Knicks keeping Rambis we are the only rumored team left for Blatt.
Blatt is there to be had.
I'm not too familiar with international basketball. But who would be better between blatt and Messina? Both have won and have great reps internationally. One has some NBA head coaching experience now but the other has the tutelage off pop.