[CLE/DET] Eastern Conference Finals discussion

Who will win the Eastern Conference Title?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
who are thinking of....just curious.

As kstat mentioned above..Magic (in his rookie season 42-15-7 gm.6 in Philly w/out KAJ) and Kobe (took over in OT game 4 w/ a sprained ankle after Shaq fouled out...also a road game.)

Magic was 20 and Kobe was 21.

Last edited:
^^^ I see your point.

Very young players have made really big contributions in the past....the reason I used the word seldom. I will also say that Magic had teammates like Kareem (among others), Kobe had Shaq and Lebron has.....well, Lebron is asked to carry the entire team on his back the whole playoffs. I think that it is a bit much to expect a 22 year-old to deliver so much and people need to acknowledge this.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
by the time Magic was 22 he had 2 finals MVPs...
He also had some damn fine teammates.

If LeBron's team were to win the whole enchilada, he would doubtless win Finals MVP too. But instead of Kareem and at that time probably Jamaal Wilkes, he's got Big Z and Larry "I miss wide open 7 footers" Hughes.

I think LeBron still has a lot of growing to do in order to dominate at the elvel he should be. But the situations really aren't remotely comparable.

People need to remember that we are talking about a 22 year-old here. It is very seldom that a 22 year-old can deliver the really big punches at this level.

I thought we were talking about taking and making big shots in big games...not comparing entire teams and their whole careers.

The 2 examples I mentioned were of the young guys taking over BIG games in the finals...without their big guy.

I'm rarely the one to complain about the refs but at least 5 or 6 suspicious calls (or non-calls) went in Detroits favor in the last 2 minutes: Pavlovic travelling, Rasheed's trip to the foul line, Rasheed's push off against Varejao, non-foul on Lebron drive, non-foul on Rasheed's pushoff behind the back on Varejao on the same play, and finally the intentional foul. That may be a little too much...

I am thinking the Pistons are just a tad lucky at this point there are not down 0-2 and staring down elimination. First Marshall, and now Hughes with wide open game winners. I'm thinking if those are Horry and Parker...bye bye.

There's a reason they were open though. Hughes is probably the worst shooter in the NBA, and yes I'm including centers like Big Ben and Shaq. The guy is an overpaid, injury prone, shot misser who only plays decent defense. But yeah they didn't do to well on that last posession IMO, except Rip played good D on LeBron but the rebounding sucked. But honestly who are you going to defend, LeBron or Donyel Marshall.

I'm rarely the one to complain about the refs but at least 5 or 6 suspicious calls (or non-calls) went in Detroits favor in the last 2 minutes: Pavlovic travelling, Rasheed's trip to the foul line, Rasheed's push off against Varejao, non-foul on Lebron drive, non-foul on Rasheed's pushoff behind the back on Varejao on the same play, and finally the intentional foul. That may be a little too much...

LOL On Rasheed's "push off" he had to push off because Varejao was holding him. Varejao was holding his right arm so he had to push off and catch with his left to get free. It should've been a foul on the flopping Sanyaja long lost brother.

I see ESPN is whining about a "non-call" for poor little LeBron last night. There was no foul there.

Yep, an EC slug fest. Now our WC finals has turned into a slug fest as well, or mostly so. I have to say in game 2, they actually picked up the pace a little.

I think Detroit will have trouble winning like that in Cleveland if they don't find a way to quit losing their big men to foul trouble early on.

Didn't LeBron make several big shots at the end of games last year? I agree that he has room for improvement, but its not like he's failed consistently when he's tried to win the game for his team.

NBA hits LeBron with flagrant foul

Late call lets Cavs star avoid ejection in Game 1

By Brian Windhorst and George M. Thomas

http://www.ohio.com/mld/beaconjournal/17276170.htm

AUBURN HILLS, MICH. - Forget about all the focus on LeBron James and his decision to pass at the end of Game 1. It turns out that the Cavaliers were fortunate that he was even playing in the fourth quarter. According to the rules, James should've been ejected late in the third quarter.

The NBA made no official announcement, but a league official confirmed Thursday that after a video review, NBA Senior Vice President Stu Jackson charged James with a flagrant foul-penalty 2 on a play with 1:20 left in the third quarter Monday night. Had it been called at the time, James would have been ejected.

There was no fine announced, but the usual for flagrant-2 is $5,000. Jackson could've suspended James for Game 2, but decided against it.

As James was following through on a jump shot, he elbowed Detroit Pistons center Chris Webber in the head with his right arm. Webber crashed to the floor. There was no foul called by the three game officials.

The maneuver was almost exactly the same as the two elbows Los Angeles Lakers star Kobe Bryant was suspended for during the season. As Bryant was falling after releasing jump shots on both occasions, he swiped at Manu Ginobili of the San Antonio Spurs and Marko Jaric of the Minnesota Timberwolves. He was suspended after each, with the NBA calling it ``an unnatural basketball act.''

Webber said he didn't feel James intended to hurt him on the play.

``I had jumped up there with him, and we made contact,'' Webber said before Game 2. ``I didn't think he did it on purpose.''

Though there was some chatter about the play on Internet sites and a clip was posted on YouTube, there was almost no media scrutiny of the play. Instead, all were reviewing James' decision to pass to Donyell Marshall with five seconds left.

Had the clip been replayed as often as Bryant's elbows, especially the one against Jaric after his first suspension, the NBA might have felt pressure to issue the same penalty.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Cleveland is irrelevant. Or should be. This ECF matchup is roughly at the same level as the 4/5 first round Hou/Utah match in the West. But Detroit has no chance whatsoever at winning a championship playing like this. They have laid the game out on a platter two games in a row to a 50 win Cleveland squad who just didn't want it. That's jsut sad.
I don't disagree necessarily, but this goes back to what I've been saying since the playoffs started, that the one team that can beat Detroit is San Antonio... and they're a lock to get to the Finals.

Detroit can absolutely not play like this and beat the Spurs, but I expect them to play rather better in the Finals.

Detroit have now played poorly in 4 out of last 5 games. Yes, they won 3 of them, but the victories were due to the other team missing open opportunities as opposed to the Pistons beating them. I will be surprised if Cleveland doesn't win the next 2 games at home.

I'm totally shaking in my boots. This series is a complete window into what the Pistons would look like in the finals. Your superior logic has bested me.

Detroit have now played poorly in 4 out of last 5 games. Yes, they won 3 of them, but the victories were due to the other team missing open opportunities as opposed to the Pistons beating them. I will be surprised if Cleveland doesn't win the next 2 games at home.

Yeah the Pistons are garbage. They should trade all their players for late first round draft picks. I mean that Billups dude? WTF, WORST PG EVER? And that Hamilton guy? All he does is run around and throw up some shots. Sheed? He's an awful player. He's never hit a clutch shot or raised his game ever. Webber? What an awful player. And that Prince guy? He's lucky he's actually HIT A SHOT in the series, otherwise he'd be 0/19 and it's not like he's ever hit some shots before in his life. Flip is obviously a worse coach than Eric Musselman. It's not like the Pistons have ever been to the ECF before, nope. They're a bunch of newbies at this.(end sarcasm)

Yeah the Pistons are garbage. They should trade all their players for late first round draft picks. I mean that Billups dude? WTF, WORST PG EVER? And that Hamilton guy? All he does is run around and throw up some shots. Sheed? He's an awful player. He's never hit a clutch shot or raised his game ever. Webber? What an awful player. And that Prince guy? He's lucky he's actually HIT A SHOT in the series, otherwise he'd be 0/19 and it's not like he's ever hit some shots before in his life. Flip is obviously a worse coach than Eric Musselman. It's not like the Pistons have ever been to the ECF before, nope. They're a bunch of newbies at this.(end sarcasm)
Wow, I totally wouldn't have noticed the sarcasm if you hadn't said that at the end :rolleyes:

Detroit can absolutely not play like this and beat the Spurs, but I expect them to play rather better in the Finals.
Based on what, pray tell? I'm not saying they necessarily won't, but they seem a tad too deeply in love with the whole 'switch' notion and might once more not manage to find it in time when it matters.

Seriously, I find the prevailant attitude here that Cleveland is kind of 'beneath' Pistons and not worthy their full effort somewhat unhealthy. This uber team got flat out outsucked at home, and is now heading for Cleveland. Snark all you want, Detroit fans, but it's not over till it's over :p

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Based on what, pray tell? I'm not saying they necessarily won't, but they seem a tad too deeply in love with the whole 'switch' notion and might once more not manage to find it in time when it matters.
Based on the fact that Detroit has been playing up and/or down to their competition all season long; they've been sleepwalking through the playoffs in anticipation of a Finals matchup with the Spurs.

This series and the WCF are sorely testing my ability to remain a basketball fan. I find this style of play with all the grabbing, holding, and roughness uninteresting. I want to see the most skilled athletes compete to win, instead of seeing the ones most willing to hurt eachother win.

^^^That was before all the little touch fouls and the many other rule changes happened. They let the players play and decide the games for themselves. It seemed the games were better when there were ony 2 refs.

Do you remember the Mchale clothesline on Rambis in the 1984 Finals?? The foul was called and play continued...that's it.

Last edited:
...the game was cleaner when you had guys openly clotheslining other players going up for dunks?

I could take ive plays out of any Lakers/Celtics or Celtics/Pistons series that would get someone suspended for an entire series today. Back then, it wasn't even a flagrant foul. Heck, some of them weren't even CALLED because the refs missed them.

It's not that the refs missed them...they just let them play. They weren't babied like the players are today.

I didn't say the game was "cleaner", just that they let the players play without taking over the game/series like what happens today. As Chick would say, "no blood, no foul." (Just a saying...not literal)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think the whole issue of how the game is called today as opposed to the "good old days" could be its own thread...

Remember, this is the Pistons/Cavs playoff thread.

:)

It's not that the refs missed them...they just let them play. They weren't babied like the players are today.

I didn't say the game was "cleaner", just that they let the players play without taking over the game/series like what happens today. As Chick would say, "no blood, no foul." (Just a saying...not literal)
...so you love the ECF then?

Because, they're definitely letting them play in that series...

And no, when a player deliberately punches another player in the face, and no foul is called, that isn't "letting them play." That was simply missed call because of the lack of refs on the floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.