[CLE/DET] Eastern Conference Finals discussion

Who will win the Eastern Conference Title?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
why i don't like the pistons has nothing to do with Webber (i wanted lebron to dunk on him since i thought he acted without very much class against the bulls). Other than that i have nothing against him, i'd like to see him in a Kings uniform !!
i don't like them since my man was rooting for them (since 2002) and i was for indiana :)

I love Ron Artest and he loves Ben Wallace, we had a fight too when the brawl started. I went to his house, jabbed his brother then he killed my dog, i was arrested and jailed for 72days.

why i don't like the pistons has nothing to do with Webber (i wanted lebron to dunk on him since i thought he acted without very much class against the bulls). Other than that i have nothing against him, i'd like to see him in a Kings uniform !!
i don't like them since my man was rooting for them (since 2002) and i was for indiana :)

I love Ron Artest and he loves Ben Wallace, we had a fight too when the brawl started. I went to his house, jabbed his brother then he killed my dog, i was arrested and jailed for 72days.

What the? :confused:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Um, okay...

Some people should not drink and post.

;)

How is this called justice? :confused:

But yeah... though individually both drinking and posting are pretty fun, they shouldn't be combined. Kinda like drunk driving, only on the Net :)

I wasn't expecting anything else, just thought I'd clear the "outside the realm of normalcy" qualifier. Good night.

And for the record after reviewing the comments about people who are not excited about the Pistons, your reply to the person above wasn't even accurate. It seems that I am the only one who doesn't like them only because of Webber, the remaining posters seem to not care about them because they think that their style is boring. Interesting that of all these people you singled me out even without referring to my name.

Wow... I can't believe you hate Webber this much:eek: . He is my favorite player ever in the NBA. But this hate you have is irrational dude. People defend him when you try to degrade his skills because they like him as a player. But you are the one who starts that argument. And yeah you just did prove her point... You let your irrational hate for someone that never did anything to you turn you against a team you like. People "singled you out" because you were the first one coming in to defend your Webber hate and acting like people said stuff about you personally... when they didn't. Whatever dude, I will be rooting for the Pistons and C-Webb to get a ring while you are busy hating on Webber for no reason.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I don't think there's anything particularly unreasonable about sloter hating Webber; for some people, there are professional athletes that you just can't stand. For a surprisingly large number of people here (for reasons that don't make any particular sense to me), that person is Manu Ginobili, or Robert Horry, or even Dirk Nowitzki. Or Barry Bonds in baseball... I could go on... For sloter, that player is Chris Webber. And sometimes, when you fellowship with people that you feel are of like mind, you take it for granted that the people that you associate, in real life or on the internet, with will understand why you like, or don't like somebody. And sometimes, the reasons why don't like somebody actually don't make sense to anybody but you.

Personally, it's never bothered me on principle that he doesn't like Webber... The main reason why I enjoy "poking him with a stick," as it were, is because, basically, the difference between his hatred for Webber and my hatred for, say, Shaq, is that I don't spend time on Lakers or Magic or Heat forums to tell everyone there about how much I can't stand the guy... Well, that, and the fact that he's just plain wrong about the Kings being better off without Webber... :p

Last edited:
If anything, it's probably made some people around here like Webber even more... ;)
I've admitted before that Webber trade was obviously a mistake (not only did the people we got end up being useless but Webber showed that he could still be productive if used the right way), and I really had no interest in how his career developed from there on, except that a few days ago someone mentioned they hope that Webber wins a championship in order to rub it in his critics' face. Not that I would get very hurt or embarassed by that, but I would rather have that person eat his/her own words instead.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Well, I can certainly understand that, even as I come down on the other side of that particular argument; it's probably human nature to want to see people who say stuff like that get theirs, especially when it feels like their pointing their fingers at you...

Personally, it's never bothered me on principle that he doesn't like Webber... The main reason why I enjoy "poking him with a stick," as it were, is because, basically, the difference between his hatred for Webber and my hatred for, say, Shaq, is that I don't spend time on Lakers or Magic or Heat forums to tell everyone there about how much I can't stand the guy... Well, that, and the fact that he's just plain wrong about the Kings being better off without Webber... :p
Well, he said he likes Kings and liked them even with Webber (indeed, despite of it). And actually that's something I don't really understand - some people think as if you can't be a Kings fan without being a Webber fan. I, for example, like Webber, but he doesn't mean too much to me now that he's not with the Kings, and will be rooting for Z and Cavs.

I was kidding of course lol
Only the 9 first words are true, so don't worry Slim Citrus my friends are great and i will never have a fight against one of them.
VF21 : i was kinda drunk even if i did not drank any alcohol(or any drug). It was 5am you know ... falling asleep... :)

Yes, I like that team less than I dislike Chris Webber. The Kings were the only team I could still root for with him on the team. Absolutely nothing irrational about that. Just like a lot of Kings fans would be turned off if Shaq or Phil Jackson had come to Sacramento.

What is irrational is ignoring crimes. That's at least immoral and in some cases illegal.

Have a good evening.
Not to call anyone a liar or anything, but I don't think the reason you hate Chris Webber so much has very much to do with his legal issues. I think that's a convenient way for you to justify the way you feel about him, but it's not like he's OJ Simpson or anything.

There are a lot of professional athletes - and people you rub shoulders with everyday - who have actually done things to hurt other people, and I bet you root for some of those players. I mean, you act as if Webber sold the gun that shot a family member or something.

This is where I separate entertainment from my personal life. I don't care where celebrities spend their free time, who they sleep with, etc. I either like someone for how they play, their music, their movies, whatever, or I don't like them because of those same things. But I don't say "I'll never watch another [fill in actor's name] movie because he cheated on his wife" or something like that. I either choose to be entertained by their work or I don't, but it's based on their work.

It would be different if said person did something wrong to me or my family, or something that affected me emotionally somehow, but other than that, their business is their business.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I've admitted before that Webber trade was obviously a mistake (not only did the people we got end up being useless but Webber showed that he could still be productive if used the right way), and I really had no interest in how his career developed from there on, except that a few days ago someone mentioned they hope that Webber wins a championship in order to rub it in his critics' face. Not that I would get very hurt or embarassed by that, but I would rather have that person eat his/her own words instead.
I mentioned several times I hope Webber can win a championship with the Pistons. If saying, "See, I told you he still had use" is rubbing something in someone's face (which I totally do not understand), then so be it.

Those of us who still thought Webber could be a contributing member to a team were continually berated over it back when the trade went down. The glee with which some of his critics celebrated his trade was much more "in your face" than ANYTHING any of us have had to say since it was shown that he could still bring a lot of skills to the right team.

If the Pistons don't get to the championships or win the rings, what words exactly am I - or anyone else who is glad to see him get the opportunity - going to have to eat?

Come on, sloter. You have been the most outspoken antagonist of all things Webber for a very long time...and it's not just about his legal issues. We both know it, as do a lot of the folks who have been around long enough to remember some of the "discussions."

Not to call anyone a liar or anything, but I don't think the reason you hate Chris Webber so much has very much to do with his legal issues. I think that's a convenient way for you to justify the way you feel about him, but it's not like he's OJ Simpson or anything.
Whoever said that was the only reason why I dislike him ?
I was only using that as my defense when VF21 said that it was abnormal that anyone dislikes him. I said that it is less abnormal to dislike a criminal than to like one. That's it.
There are many other reasons why I dislike him (some of it are the legal issues, especially the drug suspensions), but I was only using that as a suitable example for what was being said. I don't want to go into other reasons why I dislike him, but it wouldn't be a short list.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was only using that as my defense when VF21 said that it was abnormal that anyone dislikes him.
I didn't say it was abnormal for anyone to dislike him. Please don't put words in my mouth.

You've been on this board a long time, sloter, and you and I and a lot of the regulars now full well that your feelings about Webber go WAY past dislike.

I mentioned several times I hope Webber can win a championship with the Pistons. If saying, "See, I told you he still had use" is rubbing something in someone's face (which I totally do not understand), then so be it.
Actually, VF21, I wasn't referring to you when I said someone would rub it in. I really don't remember who the person was, that's why I was referring to him/her in the third person.

I didn't say it was abnormal for anyone to dislike him. Please don't put words in my mouth.

You've been on this board a long time, sloter, and you and I and a lot of the regulars now full well that your feelings about Webber go WAY past dislike.
I'm not a native English speaker, but from what I understand "totally outside the realm of normalcy" and "abnormal" are pretty much synonyms.

I hated him when he was on the Kings. Right now I don't care, except that I hope that he loses every time.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not a native English speaker, but from what I understand "totally outside the realm of normalcy" and "abnormal" are pretty much a synonym.
Nope, not in the context in which I used it anyway. Your hatred of Webber is almost pathological. On a scale, of 1 to 10 with 5 being normal and 10 being abnormal, totally outside the realm of normalcy would be a 15.

I hated him when he was on the Kings. Right now I don't care, except that I hope that he loses every time.
And this just reinforces what I've been saying...

Translation: I really do care, which is why I hope for him to lose every game. But I am just saying I don't care to try to make it seem like I don't hate him as much anymore, when it's pretty obvious to anyone with 2 brain cells that I do IN FACT still hate him.

Translation: I really do care, which is why I hope for him to lose every game. But I am just saying I don't care to try to make it seem like I don't hate him as much anymore, when it's pretty obvious to anyone with 2 brain cells that I do IN FACT still hate him.
So he hates Webber, can we get over this already and move on? I don't see any value in further discussions on this topic (and indeed haven't for some time now).

Besides, hate is a strong word and can be interpreted in a number of different ways so I can understand how a non-native English speaker wouldn't want to use it to label his feelings.

For example, I really dislike Kobe. More than anyone in the league. I want his team to lose (which is incidentally Lakers, so it's a double plus), I want him to not win any awards, go on crazy 9-of-35 shooting sprees as often as possible and such similar stuff. However, I don't care what he does outside of the game and wouldn't wish that he gets into any troubles there, or indeed on the court either (such as injuries for example, though I wouldn't mind an occasional suspension too). I don't even know why I feel that way. It just is.

Now, is that 'hate'? I couldn't care less if I get called Kobe-hater, but if I did I could argue that I don't 'hate' him, just actively dislike. Don't see why sloter couldn't state the same.

Peace.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoever said that was the only reason why I dislike him ?
I was only using that as my defense when VF21 said that it was abnormal that anyone dislikes him. I said that it is less abnormal to dislike a criminal than to like one. That's it.
There are many other reasons why I dislike him (some of it are the legal issues, especially the drug suspensions), but I was only using that as a suitable example for what was being said. I don't want to go into other reasons why I dislike him, but it wouldn't be a short list.
I think we all know that's not the only reason you dislike him, but you insinuated that no one should like him because "he's a criminal."

He's not OJ Simpson. He's not Pacman Jones. He's not even Ricky Williams. He did some things he shouldn't have done a while back (and who hasn't, which was VF21's point that you decided to ignore because you're agnostic, but the principal still applies), and now those things are history. We all probably have family that we love and enjoy being around that have made serious mistakes in the past.

And I stand by my assertion that Webber's "record" has little to do with why you dislike him so much that now root against a team that you used to like.

I think we all know that's not the only reason you dislike him, but you insinuated that no one should like him because "he's a criminal."

He's not OJ Simpson. He's not Pacman Jones. He's not even Ricky Williams. He did some things he shouldn't have done a while back (and who hasn't, which was VF21's point that you decided to ignore because you're agnostic, but the principal still applies), and now those things are history. We all probably have family that we love and enjoy being around that have made serious mistakes in the past.

And I stand by my assertion that Webber's "record" has little to do with why you dislike him so much that now root against a team that you used to like.
I was trying to stay out of this... but Chris Webber's legal issues are a lot worse than Ricky Williams'. Ricky's use of marijuana has deeper medical reasons as he is diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and it helps him calm down. His legal issuses are a lot more naive than Webber's, so your comparison is entirely incorrect (do your research on Ricky Williams before you bring him up).

For the record, Webber's history of legal issues in the past spans approximately 15 years, so it's not like it happened only once by accident.

And no, I have personally never comitted a crime, nor do I need a bible to tell me so, so perhaps that's why our views differ.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I was trying to stay out of this... but Chris Webber's legal issues are a lot worse than Ricky Williams'. Ricky's use of marijuana has deeper medical reasons as he is diagnosed with social anxiety disorder and it helps him calm down. His legal issuses are a lot more naive than Webber's, so your comparison is entirely incorrect (do your research on Ricky Williams before you bring him up).

For the record, Webber's history of legal issues in the past spans approximately 15 years, so it's not like it happened only once by accident.

And no, I have personally never comitted a crime, nor do I need a bible to tell me so, so perhaps that's why our views differ.
That's enough.

You have taken this thread way off topic and it's not fair to those who would like to discuss the series. We get it. You think Webber is a horrible person. Fine. That's your right.

Future discussion of Webber's legal issues is not going to change a thing. Any additional posts in that vein are, therefore, going to be deleted without comment.

Thanks for understanding. Now let's get back to talking about the GAME.

That's enough.

You have taken this thread way off topic and it's not fair to those who would like to discuss the series. We get it. You think Webber is a horrible person. Fine. That's your right.

Future discussion of Webber's legal issues is not going to change a thing. Any additional posts in that vein are, therefore, going to be deleted without comment.

Thanks for understanding. Now let's get back to talking about the GAME.
Correction, you and your buddy did that to this thread. But I agree that it should be let go.

then why are people so sure cleveland dont have any chance to win it ?
I tell you the truth this game will be the first Cavs playoffs game i see this year. They play poorly ?

At least they should be physically well rested because they had the easiest way to the conference finals !

Me neither. People are writing off the no. 2 seed in the conference like nobody's business. I think they'll make some noise.

I also feel this is going to depend a lot on Z's play. If he could be effective on offence and take some load off LeBron, Pistons will be in trouble.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The #2 seed in this case is barely a 50 win team and has looked godawful in even struggling past all those mighty 40-45 win playoff teams in the East. Barring some amazing breakout by LeBron, which frankly he has shown few hints of lately, this is really Detroit's series to lose, rather than Cleveland's to win. Which is hardly a surprise given that that's the case for almost every East team Detroit meets. And which also explians why they have begun to adopt the Shaq "turn it on when we want to" mantra of laziness. That's Cleveland's best hope. Just some more arrogance, passivity, lack of focus, letting them jump up 2-1 or some such, and then go into a Game 4 with a chance to get a stranglehold. Unfortunately for them, you would think the scare last year would have the Pistons ready to come out and make a statement this time. Guess we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.