"Classic" Ride Draft Thread - DRAFT COMPLETED!

Ah, the 1968 Mercury Cougar RX-7.... My very first car. I miss it terribly but the Little Princesses require lots more room!!!!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And to begin ROUND 2:

1977 Lincoln Continental - "Huggy Bear"

I picked this car because...Well because it is just cool! Plus I don't have to worry about Snoop Dogg coming after me. Bow Wow!

Last edited by a moderator:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
So did she. I almost had a heart attack when she got it. I was convinced she'd be in jail for excessive speed tickets within a week or so.

:p

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
My next pick:

Dunh Dunh Dunh Dunh Dunh Dunh Dunh Dunh Dunh Dunh Dunh Dunh Dunh
Duh Duh Duh Duh Duhhhhh Wooooooo!

1972 Plymouth Barracuda 340

Ooooh, Barracuda.

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
My brother has been restoring one of those for the last few years.
Awesome. Once I have a place of my own, one of the cars off this list will receive the same treatment. I'm not sure which one, though. I'm encouraged by the "Pimp My Ride" Biofuel episode.

1963 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

Don't mind me - I'm just going to sip on my fruity drink* and listen to some David Lee Roth whilst cruising down the highway.

*non-alcoholic, of course.
the split window is awesome i was going to pick that but i like the 1966's big block and bulging hood

Mercedes SLR McLaren

The first time I saw this car I wanted one. Now all I need to do is save for next 20 years to be able to get it.

Last edited:
1975 Porche 911 (Model 930)

I don't see this lasting, so there.... I picked model 930 because it's production (75-89) overlaps my teens when I first started seeing these while summering on Croatian coast. I thought it was the most beautiful car I ever saw in real life. Never even test drove one until 1999 (friend who had his boxster serviced got this classic as his "loaner" and we burnt a tank of gas in record time). I see one every day on my way to/from work and if the current owner does not start taking better care of it, I'll need Bricklayer's professional services.

I am going back to a classic.

1930 The Rolls-Royce Phantom MK II as seen in the Indiana Jones (Last Crusade) movie. This is a classic, and VERY rare car. I don't know if it was a 1930 in the movie, but this is the best MK II imo so I went with this one..

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade said:
"SULTAN
Rolls-Royce Phantom Two. 4.3
litre, 30 horsepower, six cylinder
engine, with Stromberg Downdraft
carburetor.

The SULTAN points to the engine under the hood.

SULTAN
Can go from zero to 100 kilometres
an hour in 12.5 seconds. And I
even like the color.

DONOVAN
(after a beat)
The keys are in the ignition,
Your Highness."

When I started this draft, I couldn't even spell Ferrari

1962 Ferrari 250 GTO

Google tells me this was voted the best sports car of all time by Sports Car International ... which paradoxically, also rated it the eighth best sports car of the 60s. Figure that one out.

From Wikipedia I discovered the market value of the 250 GTO skyrocketed in the 80s due to its supposed overall high performance, general scarcity and the belief that it was a sort of "drivable fine art". Cool!

Wikipedia also says the last 250 GTO auctioned off sold for $5.5 million in 1991. Apparently my taste in cars is very, very expensive. Glad I'm not an addict :D

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Amongst all the car art, super cars, vintage cars, etc., I need an actual car car, a daily driver as it may be (well...as close as my fleet is going to get):

BMW M3 (2005) (E46 series)

I've always loved the BMW M3s as basically the elite non-sportscar sportscar -- a car you can credibly drive around town to get the groceries (if its that important to you to show off to little old blue haired ladies at the grocery store...although who knows, maybe the checkout girl will be cute)), and yet which outperforms everything but the elite sportscars. Well that and I think their looks are an awesome blend of luxury car and muscle car. Ooh, and the quad pipes give off this delicious rumble. Ooh, and.... Oh. Er... Anyway...on two occasions I almost purchased one, but just could not justify the expense (price and insurance) given how little time (or need given Manhattan) I have for driving. On a test drive of one with a private owner he encouraged me to go ahead and try the zero to 100 speed test (not much encouraging needed). No professional driver am I, but I hit 60 in 2nd gear, and eased back at 95 while still in 3rd maybe 10 seconds into the test. There were 3 more gears to go. Its the kind of car that encourages you to do stupid stuff like taking freeway offramps at full speed without breaking to see if the car will stick (already know that answer from my own lesser bimmer :eek:), wondering just where those other three gears kick in, and glancing repeatedly at the 180 on the speedometer wondering do I dare...? Now killing myself doing something idiotic in a car doesn't sound any more attractive to me in a post-apocalyptic future than it does now, in particular since there will be no emergency services to unwrap me from around that tree. But at least there will be nobody left around to chisel in "he was an idiot" on my gravestone. Liked both this (E46) and the last (E36 -- the one that started the market domination) better than the new E90s.

P.S. I would think this should stand for the whole E46 series of M3s (1999-2006) as they are virtually identical? I merely took the 2005 because there were a few extra tweaks and whistles added, and the electronics are a little better than they would have been in 2000, but its essentially the same car.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
And I know the tradition is only to post one pic, and I don't want to change that, but in my picture search I just was amused by this guy's license plate:

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
and glancing repeatedly at the 180 on the speedometer wondering do I dare...?
Pretty sure its limited to under 155 without a chip. Could be wrong though, I know my M car is and was under the impression they all are in the US.

P.S. I would think this should stand for the whole E46 series of M3s (1999-2006) as they are virtually identical? I merely took the 2005 because there were a few extra tweaks and whistles added, and the electronics are a little better than they would have been in 2000, but its essentially the same car.
While I actually agree, that's kind of a major rule change that would require a lot of case by case moderating by the commish since the decision was already made to go year by year and not on engine options, etc. Plus I'm sure others have incorporated that into their drafting strategies.

eta:
Liked both this (E46) and the last (E36 -- the one that started the market domination) better than the new E90s.
Chris Bangle has killed the entire marque for me, and I have had a passion for them since first encountering an E28. But people keep snapping up the new designs so I guess it ain't going away.

Last edited:
Okay, my next pick is going in a direction I'd planned on completely avoiding, but when I noticed that my list of dream cars was lacking something that really screamed "no repercussions" I figured this would be the perfect addition for a deserted city:

The Tumbler -- Yeah, I went there. Wasn't going to. Wasn't even going to get anywhere near it, as will become evident as the rest of my list is revealed. But, after a quick conversation with the commish confirmed that any car picked would include all of its accoutrements, and a few minutes spent mulling over everything I could do in an empty city with a super fast and nimble tank, a collection of big guns and rockety type things, and the batpod (it's attached, it counts)... there was just no way in hell I wasn't going to pick this one.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I figured we were bound to the real life properties of our selections, but that's cool.

You will win on fun factor, but your next pick is really gonna have to make things up in the looks department.

I saw the Tumbler in 2005, but it looks kind of different in that photo from how I remember. Am I just remembering a different angle (probable) or did they secretly re-do the whole car?

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
GGG's pick would have been my first. ;) I don't care how fast your car goes, it can't outrun bullets and rockets. :D