"Classic" Ride Draft Thread - DRAFT COMPLETED!

I'm ignoring a few (probably) more well known picks for this one, and I may end up regretting that. There are four I'm skipping here that I'm almost certain won't make it back to me, but...

My first pick:

1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupe
-- And, since we're required to provide a little write up behind our decisions: Yum. Just plain yum. Don't ask me engine specs, because I don't know or care about them. This draft is Gadget at her most shallow. Far more of a beauty pageant than the hot babe draft, really. And this little lady with the impressive wingspan clearly earns the crown.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Very nice. Too many one and dones that I must have, so if you've opened the floodgates for the gull wing Mercedes I guess I'm screwed.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I don't know for sure, of course, but I'm almost willing to bet money you'll have FIVE on the list once G3 makes her first pick.

;)

I think you are underestimating my ignorance of this topic -- I know just about every major production car since 1950 at least, and a number of them before then. But beyond a handful, mostly resticted to muscle cars, I have next to no idea which are considerd the all time classics or whatever. In fact many an all time classic is to my eyes just an ugly old upside down bathtub. :p

In any case, I have to pick now. So...er...

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
In fact many an all time classic is to my eyes just an ugly old upside down bathtub. :p
That's why cars are so fun, absolute garbage that wouldn't even make it down your driveway gets hailed as greatness.

Not to mention that the official definition of "Classic Car" per the Classic Car Club of America excludes anything built after 1948.

Bricklayer

Alright, had to go check the premise of this thread and how everybody was posting their pics, but am ready now.

1967 Ford Mustang 500 GT

Yeah, so at a bit of a losss how to approach this draft, I thought I would just lead off with one of my favorite old muscle cars. You know that cute little ole 64 1/2 that was taken with the first pick? Well this car would just eat it and spit the digested remains out its tailpipe. I have long ago lost the sort of overweaning machismo it would take to actually drive a car like this in public -- you can practically smell the cheap cologne through your monitor. But in a last man on Earth scenario? Yeah, let's take this baby out for a spin and see what she's got.

Last edited:

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Lowenherz I believe that by at least one draft rule the car you describe is still on the table, so you may want to edit your post.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't know why Brickie's pic isn't showing (maybe it's just Firefox???), but here's another:

And the 1967 Ford Mustang GT 500 (Shelby) is now off the table. Let's not get too technical here.

Last edited:
I was hoping not to be the one to broach this subject, or at least delay it a round, but Brick went and stole the only "classic" car I have an opinion of, so here we go.

As I mentioned, I'm not a car connoisseur and don't really know what "classic" means, especially since as PDX pointed out:

The official definition of "Classic Car" per the Classic Car Club of America excludes anything built after 1948.
Which none of the first five picks have fit ... but I do know how to google "World's Greatest Cars" and pick the first thing that comes up.

Plus, while the title says "classic" the rules say "pick a car, any car - as non-restrictive as possible." And VF said she wanted variety, so here we go:

2008 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Pur Sang

It's the second fastest street legal car on the market and there's apparently only a few hundred of these that have been made mostly owned by Oil Shieks and the like.

It also has a lot of horse power and handles well or something ... I don't know, really. I did find out Pur Sang means "Pure Blood" in french ... so that's cool.

Mainly though, if the world ended and I was left alone in the city, I'd want to drive around the most expensive thing available ... and do it rather fast.

Bricklayer

I don't know why Brickie's pic isn't showing (maybe it's just Firefox???),
Inconsiderate jerks at the site blocked it no doubt. But that's why there's photobucket. :)

As an aside, as I added that pic to my account do you know how many pictures were being hosted at photobucket?

As in 5.7 BILLION pictures. And they have a counter going int he lwoer left hand corner, and there are anywhere from 60-90 pictures being added every second. Holy crappers.

2007 Koenigsegg CCX

800+HP - 900+TQ - 245+MPH - 0-60 3.2sec - 1/4 mile in 9.9 sec @ 146MPH

Don't know where to start with this car other than it's a $600,000 dream of mine that I will never have unless I win the lottery :D It's built for speed and beauty. It's not meant to get good gas mileage, or seat an entire family as you go and get groceries.

It's Sweden's answer to the "super car" and I am surprised I was able to get this. I figured someone would have taken this car right off! :) I hope this pick counts! It's supposedly street legal in CA.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know new cars. I like new cars. However, I made a conscious decision not to include any new cars in my list. So, please, Löwenherz and Gary, knock yourselves out. :D

I'm ignoring a few (probably) more well known picks for this one, and I may end up regretting that. There are four I'm skipping here that I'm almost certain won't make it back to me, but...

My first pick:

1955 Mercedes-Benz 300 SL Coupe -- And, since we're required to provide a little write up behind our decisions: Yum. Just plain yum. Don't ask me engine specs, because I don't know or care about them. This draft is Gadget at her most shallow. Far more of a beauty pageant than the hot babe draft, really. And this little lady with the impressive wingspan clearly earns the crown.
beautifull pick

2007 Koenigsegg CCX

800+HP - 900+TQ - 245+MPH - 0-60 3.2sec - 1/4 mile in 9.9 sec @ 146MPH

Don't know where to start with this car other than it's a $600,000 dream of mine that I will never have unless I win the lottery :D It's built for speed and beauty. It's not meant to get good gas mileage, or seat an entire family as you go and get groceries.

It's Sweden's answer to the "super car" and I am surprised I was able to get this. I figured someone would have taken this car right off! :) I hope this pick counts! It's supposedly street legal in CA.

aww i thought this would slip nice pick

1966 Shelby Cobra 427 - Super Snake

Well, since Proph and Brick picked the only two cars that I really, really wanted, I have to promote AC Cobra to my no. 1. Not a bad car, I might add. ;) Apparently, this is the most expensive American car ever sold, and I believe it to be street legal. Not that it matter in deserted city or anything.

The car pictured here was actually owned by Carroll Shelby and fetched $5.5 mil. in an auction.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm torn. I have TWO cars I really, really, really want but I finally decided this was the one that would wound me to the bone if I waited and someone else grabbed it:

1981 Excalibur Phaeton

I'm not even totally sure why I like it so much, but this ride just exudes all kinds of "PICK ME!"

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
I'm torn. I have TWO cars I really, really, really want but I finally decided this was the one that would wound me to the bone if I waited and someone else grabbed it:

1981 Excalibur Phaeton

I'm not even totally sure why I like it so much, but this ride just exudes all kinds of "PICK ME!"
How do you feel about Dalmatians? Sweet ride.

1984 FERRARI 308 GTS QV

Who else dreamed of being a P.I. living in an estate in Hawaii when they were a kid .

Last edited by a moderator:

Spike

Subsidiary Intermediary
Staff member
1963 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray

Don't mind me - I'm just going to sip on my fruity drink* and listen to some David Lee Roth whilst cruising down the highway.

*non-alcoholic, of course.