"Classic" Ride Draft Thread - DRAFT COMPLETED!

I think that the awesomeness of my list speaks for itself, so I have no clever write up.

I do, however, have several cars left on my list that didn't get picked. So, as with the other drafts, my leftovers:

1. 1960 Studebaker Lark
  2. 1965 Ford Ranchero
  3. 1962 Buick LeSabre
  4. 1949 Delahaye 175 S Saoutchik Roadster
  5. 1937 Delahaye 135 M Figoni et Falaschi Cabriolet
  6. 1964 Ford Thunderbird
  7. 1963 Lincoln Continental
  8. 1938 Talbot-Lago T-150C SS Teardrop Coupe
  9. 1951 Dihatsu Bee
  10. 1965 Peel Trident
  11. 1960 Mazda R360
  12. 1973 Volkswagen Thing

I was going to pick the Thing at least 3 times, but ultimately I thought it would muck up my list. I don't normally go pimping my lists because I know my tastes aren't exactly mainstream, but I do think I have the best list here bar none, despite the presence of quite a few lists. With one or two exceptions, one being my favorite car on the planet, my cars are all limited production runs and many have extensive race history. Even the two modern cars I picked are extremely unique and valuable. Every single one of my cars would be an absolute blast to drive. And the closest thing I have to a gimmick car is the Eliminator which is a totally legit hot rod right along the lines of my personal style.

Last pick..

1972 Ford Pinto

Sorry yall.. The PM didn't say one new message.. It was there, but I clicked on it I guess when I opened the site, and it notified me.. I checked, and saw I was the only one left lol. I better check the video game one too incase.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Last pick..

1972 Ford Pinto

Sorry yall.. The PM didn't say one new message.. It was there, but I clicked on it I guess when I opened the site, and it notified me.. I checked, and saw I was the only one left lol. I better check the video game one too incase.

My first instinct was to disallow your final pick. But then I figured what the heck...after all, it's a Pinto.

:p

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Um, tradepeja? We only have TWELVE people in this draft so ranking "all 15" is a little difficult.

Gary - Check your PMs.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm waiting for one final ranking, which I've been told will be to me by some time this evening. I'll post the seedings and first round matchups by tomorrow.

:D

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I apologize for the delays. I've been battling a horrible cold. I have all the rankings in and will be posting the results within the hour, barring unforseen circumstances. At that point I plan to get the first round underway with two divisions. Any suggestions for division names would be greatly appreciated, as I can only come up with Ford v. Chevy and think that would be terribly misleading.

:)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Here are the final rankings. The number of first place votes garnered by each participant are indicated in parentheses.

Rankings:

1. Bozwell - 92 - (2)
2.GoGoGadget - 87 - (4)
3.VF21 - 77 - (1)
4. pdxKingsFan - 75 - (1)
5. AleksandarN - 71 - (1)
6. Bricklayer - 70 - (1)
7. Lowenherz - 69 - (1)
8. Spike - 68 - (0)
9. Kingsgirl4 - 60 - (1)
10. Prophetess - 51 - (0)
11. Kingzrool - 50 - (0)
12. Gary - 22 - (0)

The two divisions are: Shiny Rims and Pointy Fins, as shown here:

I'll have the initial polls up shortly. I'm following Bricklayer's lead in how you vote since it allows you to retain anonymity which could prevent future retaliation since TWO moderators are involved in the proceedings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The polls are up and will remain open tentatively for 7 days. If there is no activity for at least 24 hours, however, I'll go ahead and close the polls and move to the next round...

Good luck to everyone!

O

OhmDr

Kaiser Darrin

You took a great photo of a great looking Darrin.... Where did you catch this car? I'm a big fan of the Darrins and have been in love with them since I was 4 or 5 (30+ years)... I hope to find one that I can buy and restore someday, but until then I enjoy researching and talking with current and former owners of these great and rare cars.
May I keep a copy of this photo for my collection of Darrins?

Thanks.

J Darren

And to cruise into ROUND 18

1954 Kaiser Darrin

For a front view:
The Kaiser Darrin was created in 1954 to compete with the new Chevrolet Corvette in the growing American sports car segment. The car was designed by famed American designer Howard “Dutch” Darrin. Darrin had previously been a partner in Hibbard & Darrin of Paris and also designed for Packard and Studebaker. In the late 1930s Darrin had left Paris and set up a shop in Hollywood.The Kaiser Darrin had a fiberglass body, a three-position top and sliding pocket doors that disappeared into the front fenders when opened. The car is powered by a 90-horsepower 161-cubic inch six-cylinder engine.
The car was only manufactured in 1954. Only 435 copies were constructed.

The sliding pocket door sold me on this one! I would definitely be dropping the top on this beauty and taking it for a nice drive along the Coast!

I did not have the opportunity to take this picture myself. I was able to find it on Google Images. You are free to keep a copy:D It was a beautiful car and it really caught my eye while doing this draft. I would love to be able to see one in person someday.